Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucania
May 1, 2009
That one scene in the Theranos doc that showed the bloody mess that would occur inside the Edison machines (along with one of the guys saying that they would have to stick their hands in there when it malfunctioned, which was always) was horrifying.

That and the MC Hammer dance scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Anyone remember a 20/20 or Dateline episode in like 95 or 96 that was on Munchausen by Proxy? I'm having a hell of a time trying to find it.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Just watched "God knows where I am" on Netflix, which was both beautiful and depressing.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
Anyone got any political history documentaries about any countries? Talking about elections, their economy, their history, anything.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Awful CompSloth posted:

Anyone got any political history documentaries about any countries? Talking about elections, their economy, their history, anything.

I can’t remember the name of it but I think I watched it on a recommendation from this thread. It’s one about the collapse of Yugoslavia. I believe it’s on YouTube. Someone help me out here.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Missing Picture about Pol Pot's regime in Cambodia, although it's as much a story of personal grief as one of a country.

A Grin Without a Cat, which is great, but might be difficult to follow if you're not up to speed on the leftist movements of the 1960s.

The Sorrow and the Pity about the Nazi occupation of France.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
The Lost World of Communism might touch on that.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Mahoning posted:

I can’t remember the name of it but I think I watched it on a recommendation from this thread. It’s one about the collapse of Yugoslavia. I believe it’s on YouTube. Someone help me out here.

Sounds like the BBC's six part series Yugoslavia: Death of a Nation, which is indeed excellent. It's on Youtube. Made by Norma Percy; all of her stuff's worth watching, really. I enjoyed her Putin and Iran series a lot too, although at times it can feel like she's making her series a little too close to when they occurred, and they lack some historical perspective, some distance, some hindsight, that would really help round them. Her Obama one's probably the best example of this -- it came out while he was still in office, and felt dated within just a few months.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Awful CompSloth posted:

The Death of Yugoslavia is Norma Percy's best work and features interviews with all heads of state during the Yugoslav Wars, including all the war criminals.

The Battle of Chile is about Pinochet's coup as it happened.

Videograms of a Revolution lets you watch the Communist regime of Romania almost like you were there. It's incredible.

Can you be more specific at all? You're talking about a pretty broad discipline within documentary.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Winter on Fire?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Act of Killing, if you’ve never seen it, is fascinating. Although I don’t think I’ve ever felt worse at the end of a documentary before.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mahoning posted:

The Act of Killing, if you’ve never seen it, is fascinating. Although I don’t think I’ve ever felt worse at the end of a documentary before.

Good news, there’s a sequel

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Awful CompSloth posted:

CuriousityStreams has this series on Asia's Monarchies, it's good

https://curiositystream.com/series/391

While I'm here, are any of the Pussy Riot docs good?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mahoning posted:

the dudes bragging about the genocide they committed throughout the documentary but one of them retching at the end when he realized what he\s done was incredibly powerful.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

clockworx posted:

Just watched "God knows where I am" on Netflix, which was both beautiful and depressing.

I just watched this on the back of this post and yeah, what a harrowing and sad story

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I caught a screening of They Shall Not Grow Old a couple nights ago. Highly recommended if you can see it in a theater just for the novelty of the project. The narrative is pretty loose, a series of BBC interview clips of veteran's experiences set to archival footage. The sound design is excellent.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've started watching The Innocent Man on Netflix because the John grisham name cuaght my attention, and it's amazing what police gets away with.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Miami Showband Massacre on Netflix is hosed up

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Free Solo gave me anxiety

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Phi230 posted:

Free Solo gave me anxiety

Imagine seeing it on the big screen.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Imagine seeing it on the big screen.

I saw it in imax and it was pretty sick. I didn’t find it nerve wracking for the most part since obviously the guy doesn’t fall to his doom, but some of the moves he pulls off are insane. But just thinking about the possibility of him falling while they’re filming is pretty disturbing by itself.

This reminds me I need to check out Meru by the same director, I’m pretty sure it’s still on Netflix.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
And The Dawn Wall. Which was better than Free Solo imo.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I saw it in imax and it was pretty sick. I didn’t find it nerve wracking for the most part since obviously the guy doesn’t fall to his doom, but some of the moves he pulls off are insane. But just thinking about the possibility of him falling while they’re filming is pretty disturbing by itself.

This reminds me I need to check out Meru by the same director, I’m pretty sure it’s still on Netflix.

Yeah, I knew the ending but watching that 15 minutes was stressful as hell. I can't imagine what it was like for the camera guys not knowing for four hours filming it.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

All the Reel Rocks are great (only on Vimeo though), most of them are compilations of 3-4 different climbing docs. Reel Rocks 9 Valley Uprising was more of a standalone doc if I remember right but still awesome.

sadus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 27, 2019

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

BonoMan posted:

And The Dawn Wall. Which was better than Free Solo imo.

Thank you for mentioning this, I was blanking in the name. My boyfriend likes these sort of documentaries, I really don't (and I'm terrified of heights to boot), and I think the reason I didn't care for Free Solo was because I remember seeing The Dawn Wall and going 'oh that's interesting'.

I guess seeing another doc about free solo climbing within a year of seeing the first one just bored me.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

precision posted:

The Miami Showband Massacre on Netflix is hosed up

Seconding this. Minus the true crime production feel of it, it’s worth an infuriating watch, especially as someone who knows not as much of the Troubles as one should.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Any feel good docs you peeps recommend? This year has been a shitshow so far and most the documentaries named here are incredibly depressing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

can't go wrong with "won't you be my neighbor" if you want a good cry.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Anyone remember a 20/20 or Dateline episode in like 95 or 96 that was on Munchausen by Proxy? I'm having a hell of a time trying to find it.

Do you remember who it was about? I did a quick online search and found one about Kathy and Jennifer Bush that sorta fits that description, not sure if that's it though

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Vincent posted:

Any feel good docs you peeps recommend? This year has been a shitshow so far and most the documentaries named here are incredibly depressing.

anything by Les Blank besides burden of dreams

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Watched Lot Lizards on Prime. Doc about truck stop sex workers. Pretty good but definitely not "feel good".

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Vincent posted:

Not new at all but if you haven't seen "The Parking Lot Movie" I recommend checking it out. It's a pretty enjoyable watch.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Little navel-gazey documentary about a certain view of a Floridean beach resort town, by a couple of its residents (I think?). About right for this maudlin night for me.

https://sarasotamovie.com/watch.html

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"three identical strangers" is feel good if you don't wonder why the third brother isn't a talking head and shut it off halfway through.

albedoa
May 3, 2004

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I can't help you there, but if you are interested in the topic, check out Mommy Dead and Dearest (2017).

Barudak
May 7, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

Little navel-gazey documentary about a certain view of a Floridean beach resort town, by a couple of its residents (I think?). About right for this maudlin night for me.

https://sarasotamovie.com/watch.html

The most interesting part of this movie, which I dont think it mentions, is it features some found footage from a vhs tape they found while they were exploring one of the abandoned resorts. On that VHS tape is footage of people exploring a different site that no longer exists but was in the VHS makers time an old abandoned resort.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Vincent posted:

Vannin. It's relatively short, and it's about people that go to events/meetups for the tricked out van community that had its heyday in the 70s.

Most of the people are in their 50s/60s but there's some younger ones and they're just discussing why they do it, what they love about the life and the others in the community.

It's pretty :haw:.

wavy gravy
Oct 23, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Do you remember who it was about? I did a quick online search and found one about Kathy and Jennifer Bush that sorta fits that description, not sure if that's it though

Yeah i recently watched one on Kathy Bush, she was the mother who kept her child sick and went campaigning for better health care and such. There was also one on Genene Jones, the nurse who killed a whole buncha babies in texas.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Sometimes when I can't sleep, I'll put on a documentary at random, and last night The House of Suh was recommended and I went 'Sure why not?'

It was one of the most :smith: documentaries I've seen. Even though the subject, Andrew Suh, copped to his crime and is serving 80 years for murdering his sister's fiancé , I just kept going in my mind 'Holy poo poo, give him clemency!'

I also felt like he was manipulated into it by his own sister because she egged him on saying her fiancé was responsible for murdering their mother when Andrew was 13; but signs point to the sister and fiancé being in cahoots in order to get at the family fortune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just finished the Case Against Adnan Syed

Something that fucks me up about a lot of these true crime docs is that every single one of these docs exposes some kind of prosecutorial misconduct or fuckery and not once to my knowledge have any of them faced any consequences.

Even if Adnan or whomever is guilty, think about every other person who was put in prison because the prosecutor is a piece of poo poo.