Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

frankee posted:

An Australian childrens tv show called Lift Off thought the best mascot for the show was a faceless mute baby

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lift_Off_(Australian_TV_series)

Someone told me the reason Hello Kitty doesn't have a mouth is because the creator wanted her to be someone you could project onto. Whether a kid was happy or sad or whatever, they could look at her and imagine she felt the same way they do.

That thing looks like someone had the same idea, but bungled the execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Not Operator posted:

Someone told me the reason Hello Kitty doesn't have a mouth is because the creator wanted her to be someone you could project onto. Whether a kid was happy or sad or whatever, they could look at her and imagine she felt the same way they do.

Yeah, this looks like the only thing you can project is misery, powerlessness, a sense of being trapped in a sphere of your own faltering senses.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Not Operator posted:

Yeah I get what they are going for, but why is it so grimey?

Edit : Ron mueck was apparently the designer of that. Love his work normally, but there it doesn't work.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Mueck

Autechresaint has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Mar 19, 2019

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

frankee posted:

An Australian childrens tv show called Lift Off thought the best mascot for the show was a faceless mute baby

Urgh I had repressed this cursed thing for the last 25 years.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

frankee posted:

The Wikipedia Article posted:

The different episodes used stories and locations to explore subjects such as jealousy, loneliness and anger.

Emphasis mine.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
The face of a Hadrurus arizonensis

https://twitter.com/Strange_Drugs/status/1086212673728139264?s=19

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

That's not even the creepiest thing that was on offer to Australian kids in the 90s.

I give you the Mulligrubs face:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WW1-N9Q5KA
This woman, her prominent nostrils, and her creepy little girl voice used to seriously unnerve me as a child

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

BrigadierSensible posted:

That's not even the creepiest thing that was on offer to Australian kids in the 90s.

I give you the Mulligrubs face:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WW1-N9Q5KA
This woman, her prominent nostrils, and her creepy little girl voice used to seriously unnerve me as a child

So you wouldn't say mulligrub me and mulligrub you then?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1108925645487112192

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Junji Ito is the best

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles
Here's one of my pet leeches. Phone posting, sorry for twitter link

https://twitter.com/Strange_Drugs/status/1076641126101209089?s=19

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

That critter has some really pretty colors for a leech.

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

A picture of my grandmother I found in some old photos.

Ferrous has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Apr 18, 2019

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Ferrous posted:

D’awwww

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What's Marty Feldman doing there?

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Big Centipede posted:

Which end is the sucky end? They both look grabby.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big Centipede posted:

As pets go, at least they're cheap to feed?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Applesnots posted:

Since it's the creepy thread, and not the wonderful adaption thread, fake news: Both are grabby: one end is sucky, and the other is poopy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHxI12VVgRg

Edit: The book is both better and worse, at the same time.

Otteration has a new favorite as of 03:05 on Apr 22, 2019

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Applesnots posted:

The top end is the mouth.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Otteration posted:

Since it's the creepy thread, and not the wonderful adaption thread, fake news: Both are grabby: one end is sucky, and the other is poopy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHxI12VVgRg

Edit: The book is both better and worse, at the same time.

Wait, does it inject poop into its host?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Nah, I think the suckerbutt is just for stability while it feeds

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Wait, does it inject poop into its host?

Leeches are not the post button on the something awful dot com forums.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Ferrous posted:

What's in the window behind your grandma?

pop fly to McGillicutty has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Apr 23, 2019

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ferrous posted:

Your grandma looks like Jimmy Saville.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I watched a video about Black Salve last night, and I didn't need to see the After Pictures.

I'll just post the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6sCaKX0niY

And I cannot believe someone might order that stuff online for whatever, and have to wade through tons of pictures of what it does to people and think "Yes I will get this for the cancer I diagnosed in my child, even though I have no medical training".

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

So I watched a video about Black Salve last night, and I didn't need to see the After Pictures.

I'll just post the video

And I cannot believe someone might order that stuff online for whatever, and have to wade through tons of pictures of what it does to people and think "Yes I will get this for the cancer I diagnosed in my child, even though I have no medical training".

The people selling this poo poo should be held criminally liable for the damage it does to people, jesus christ. I remember reading about this years back; how is it still legal to sell it as any sort of remedy?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Buff Skeleton posted:

The people selling this poo poo should be held criminally liable for the damage it does to people, jesus christ. I remember reading about this years back; how is it still legal to sell it as any sort of remedy?

Hey don't let the GOVERNMENT tells me what to do to my body!

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

twistedmentat posted:

I'll just post the video

Let's not forget this very forum has a subforum full of idiots that convinced themselves taking some weird russian chemical as a drug just because it wasn't illegal was a good idea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Let's not forget this very forum has a subforum full of idiots that convinced themselves taking some weird russian chemical as a drug just because it wasn't illegal was a good idea.

I had no idea we had a krokodil user subform.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Nah, I think the suckerbutt is just for stability while it feeds

Yep, they just try to hang on in swift streams while people are screaming. Got to get all the calories they can when they can. They'll poop later, when they can, much like the rest of us. :)

Personal experience anecdote: They don't hurt at all when attached, because of adapted painkillers they inject when feeding. Just try not to be 67 year old George Washington when you wade around barefoot in creeks and swamps. :)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, but we sure as hell don’t have a forum where people who don’t believe in science sell each other death cream and sugar pills.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

twistedmentat posted:

I'll just post the video

I recognize some of those after pictures from a thread here some years back. A Goon came across some alternative medicine website where there was a thread asking advice about black salve because the OP was trying a brand she wasn't familiar with. Her picture's the one where the tip of her nose is completely gone and you see septum. Reading the alt-med thread was pretty creepy in it's own right and it says something that it's stuck in my head for so long.

The OP said she noticed she had microcancers on her forehead and nose that she was going to treat with the salve since she didn't want the scarring from the MOHS surgery she said she'd had once before on another microcancer. If anyone's able to find the thread if it's still around, she showed pictures of her face before that the microcancers she saw and they were two barely visible slightly reddish bumps. I've seen mosquito bites that were more visible. She applied the salve in a big swath on her forehead and tip of her nose and when her face swelled to where she could barely open her eyes, she posted on the alt-med forum. Even they were surprised at the degree of swelling, but instead of telling her to clean it off and go to the hospital, they told her to tough it out. When she had agonizing pain from it, they told her to tough it out that it was working. Once the eschars formed and weren't dropping off like they should, their consensus was those microcancers had to be really deep so the salve was taking longer to get all of it out. At some point that thread ended up getting posted around beyond Something Awful and there was a combined Reddit/4chan/Goonrush of people trying to talk sanity and get her to go to the hospital that got shouted down for being Big Pharma shills. What pictures she posted after were she lost a visible dent of skin on her forehead and lost a substantial portion of her nose that then she finally went to a doctor and the verdict was she was going to need reconstruction surgery that she couldn't afford. Her last posts were something along the lines of advising people to not use as much of that brand of black salve like she did and that when she'd use it again, she'd be using smaller amounts.

I remember thinking that there had to be some sort of disordered thinking like with Morgellon's with how these people were looking at these barely noticeable bumps or skin marks and immediately seeing deep rooted cancers.

That thread unnerved me so much that I've always kept it in mind when I hear black salve mentioned so a few years back when I developed a tunnelled abscess in my armpit and was doing the head compress treatment the doctor suggested before we discuss the possibility of surgery, I had a coworker who used to be a licensed nurse recommend I use black salve on it to 'draw out the abscess core' otherwise it'll never heal. Obviously never even planned on using the salve and it did creep me out that someone who was a nurse familiar with medicine actually recommending this crap.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

My favorite Black Salve is 'Salve Bloody Salve'

ieatcheese
Apr 24, 2019

Big Centipede posted:

This is horrifying

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Okay so the secret is that for some reason nurses are more superstitious than any other group of people out there. I've never heard "vaccines are bad" and "carry this crystal around for x" and "fake sugar gives you cancer" from any other profession like I have from nurses. Don't even get me started on the "essential oils for your cancer" bullshit.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Scathach posted:

Okay so the secret is that for some reason nurses are more superstitious than any other group of people out there. I've never heard "vaccines are bad" and "carry this crystal around for x" and "fake sugar gives you cancer" from any other profession like I have from nurses. Don't even get me started on the "essential oils for your cancer" bullshit.

This has 100% been my anecdotal experience. Every single nurse I've ever known or interacted with ends up pretty quickly outing them selves as believing in big-pharma conspiracies and secret ancient snake oils the government doesn't want you to know about.

My grandpa is in the hospital a lot and is huge into woo and ((big pharma)) and always tells me how it's always the nurses that are on his side and try to protect him from the evil brainwashed doctors.

I had a friend who didn't believe in any sort of woo go into nursing school and suddenly get really into natural medicine and paleo. Why? Because half his nursing school teachers would rant about the "stuff the medical industrial doesn't want you to know" about during classes and his loving biology teacher would spend almost a majority of the class ranting on about how paleo will cure almost all diseases because humans didn't evolve to eat "processed" foods, that's a biology FACT.

Anyways, here's an abandoned ferry. I've always found big abandoned ships extra creepy for some reason.

Baronjutter has a new favorite as of 20:20 on Apr 24, 2019

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

ieatcheese posted:

This is horrifying

Eh, I've done worse things

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

I recognize some of those after pictures from a thread here some years back. A Goon came across some alternative medicine website where there was a thread asking advice about black salve because the OP was trying a brand she wasn't familiar with. Her picture's the one where the tip of her nose is completely gone and you see septum. Reading the alt-med thread was pretty creepy in it's own right and it says something that it's stuck in my head for so long.

The OP said she noticed she had microcancers on her forehead and nose that she was going to treat with the salve since she didn't want the scarring from the MOHS surgery she said she'd had once before on another microcancer. If anyone's able to find the thread if it's still around, she showed pictures of her face before that the microcancers she saw and they were two barely visible slightly reddish bumps. I've seen mosquito bites that were more visible. She applied the salve in a big swath on her forehead and tip of her nose and when her face swelled to where she could barely open her eyes, she posted on the alt-med forum. Even they were surprised at the degree of swelling, but instead of telling her to clean it off and go to the hospital, they told her to tough it out. When she had agonizing pain from it, they told her to tough it out that it was working. Once the eschars formed and weren't dropping off like they should, their consensus was those microcancers had to be really deep so the salve was taking longer to get all of it out. At some point that thread ended up getting posted around beyond Something Awful and there was a combined Reddit/4chan/Goonrush of people trying to talk sanity and get her to go to the hospital that got shouted down for being Big Pharma shills. What pictures she posted after were she lost a visible dent of skin on her forehead and lost a substantial portion of her nose that then she finally went to a doctor and the verdict was she was going to need reconstruction surgery that she couldn't afford. Her last posts were something along the lines of advising people to not use as much of that brand of black salve like she did and that when she'd use it again, she'd be using smaller amounts.

I remember thinking that there had to be some sort of disordered thinking like with Morgellon's with how these people were looking at these barely noticeable bumps or skin marks and immediately seeing deep rooted cancers.

That thread unnerved me so much that I've always kept it in mind when I hear black salve mentioned so a few years back when I developed a tunnelled abscess in my armpit and was doing the head compress treatment the doctor suggested before we discuss the possibility of surgery, I had a coworker who used to be a licensed nurse recommend I use black salve on it to 'draw out the abscess core' otherwise it'll never heal. Obviously never even planned on using the salve and it did creep me out that someone who was a nurse familiar with medicine actually recommending this crap.

Don't know if this was her or not but I've had these in my Imgur for a while.

Some people may find them gross so I won't embed them.

https://imgur.com/kVGHokX

https://imgur.com/ffi2Wen

https://imgur.com/7A4mnD1

https://imgur.com/Kb3oF4J

Alternative medicine practitioners are unworthy of life.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I think leeches are among the least horrifying things in this thread. They're gross, but harmless. And possibly helpful if you've had a body part reattached and need a friendly and hungry blood-draining source of anticoagulants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Big Centipede posted:

Eh, I've done worse things

You put one on your dick, didn't you?