Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
I played with my keyboard and mouse for a while because it couldn't pick up my ps4 controller or xbox one controller. They don't work but the xbone controller rumbles when I get hit.

How the hell do you spend millions of dollars making a game and never test controller support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

This game perfectly captures that feeling of a fight in a Samurai film and I love it. 10/10

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Floor is lava posted:

I played with my keyboard and mouse for a while because it couldn't pick up my ps4 controller or xbox one controller. They don't work but the xbone controller rumbles when I get hit.

How the hell do you spend millions of dollars making a game and never test controller support.

My Xbox one controller worked perfectly from the moment I started the game so :shrug:

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Floor is lava posted:

All of the controllers I've tested work great, this is entirely your problem and immediately shunting blame off onto other people is the sign of a weak mental constitution.

enojy posted:

Same. I made my way fine through Bloodborne's gun-based parrying, but I honestly never was a parry kinda guy in the Souls games. I can't wait to get wrecked by Sekiro in a couple hours.

I just played through Bloodborne and parrying feels a lot easier in this. I don't know if the timing is any different (it might be more lenient) but at least if you gently caress up a parry in this you still block normal attacks.

I think the stealth kills and grappling hook make all the non-boss stuff in this game a lot easier than their other games. If you don't mind running around and resetting enemies you can clear out areas pretty risk free.

fadam fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Mar 22, 2019

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
someone please tell me how to kill these fish. they are even more infuriating than crystal bugs ever were. water dash + thrust doesn't work, just attacking doesn't work, NOTHING works

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

Im using a wireless xbone controller and it works fine. I saw someone streaming yesterday with a cheapo amazon basics xbox controller and it worked too

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
playing this doesn't make me want to be a weak frail ninja, I want to be the big guy that powerbombs people into the dirt

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Martian Manfucker posted:

someone please tell me how to kill these fish. they are even more infuriating than crystal bugs ever were. water dash + thrust doesn't work, just attacking doesn't work, NOTHING works

Just jump off something onto their heads and swing? You're talking the big orange fish right?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
After playing this game for a few hours now, I have to say so far that it plays exactly how I thought it would based on what I read about it nearly a year ago in OP. I'm not really entirely sure yet if I really like it, but to anyone who's on the fence about the game but really finds the OP's description of it appealing, I can least say: buy it, that's exactly what you'll be getting.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

JBP posted:

Just jump off something onto their heads and swing? You're talking the big orange fish right?

the treasure carp. most of the time they're too deep and you whiff, other times you just whiff because ????

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gumball Gumption posted:

This game perfectly captures that feeling of a fight in a Samurai film and I love it. 10/10

yeah when im not getting casually ragdolled through the air by giant men the swordfights own

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

the treasure carp. most of the time they're too deep and you whiff, other times you just whiff because ????

I've found two of them and both were instantly killed by me dashing in water and doing a normal attack..

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I couldn't figure out how to damage them either, other than throwing shurikens and that doesn't deal nearly enough damage to kill them.

lonter posted:

I've found two of them and both were instantly killed by me dashing in water and doing a normal attack..

:ssh: there are a bunch more deeper under water

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Quick question: are there different equippable weapons or do you just use the sword for the entire game?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I found my DS4 settings were all hosed up on steam so I downloaded a community profile and set that as my personal one

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

fadam posted:

All of the controllers I've tested work great, this is entirely your problem and immediately shunting blame off onto other people is the sign of a weak mental constitution.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Im using a wireless xbone controller and it works fine. I saw someone streaming yesterday with a cheapo amazon basics xbox controller and it worked too

Elerion posted:

My Xbox one controller worked perfectly from the moment I started the game so :shrug:

Well, if it works for you three specifically then there is no problem.

I'll just hang out in this 35 pages of steam community posts with all of the other people who are clearly wrong.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/814380/discussions/search/?q=controller&gidforum=1736588252387284340&include_deleted=1

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Fighting big dudes became way easier once I realized that the dodge is entirely a movement tool and i-frames aren't really a thing. You should be dodging repeatedly VERY early (like, when enemies are winding up) because enemies actually dont track well, they just tend to have very wide hitboxes. A successful dodge has you either directly behind or 10 feet away from your opponent by the time they swing.

If you are basically anywhere near the front half of an enemy when they attack and do not block/parry, you are getting hit. If you're going to dodge you absolutely need to do it with the idea that you're getting away from the attack entirely, which is the opposite of Soulsbourne "wait until the last moment for max i-frames" dodging.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Floor is lava posted:

Well, if it works for you three specifically then there is no problem.

I'll just hang out in this 35 pages of steam community posts with all of the other people who are clearly wrong.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/814380/discussions/search/?q=controller&gidforum=1736588252387284340&include_deleted=1

I won't hang out in there because I didn't gently caress up and break my installation of Sekiro.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Your Computer posted:

sounds like the same issue with the PS4 controller - the Steam default settings are terrible

you need to go through Steam Big Picture to change them, just turn off the gyro and set the right stick to be right stick only (if it does that with the switch controller too)

Cheers! I'll check this out after work.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

fadam posted:

I won't hang out in there because I didn't gently caress up and break my installation of Sekiro.

Sorry, but what do you mean?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Man the basic combat just feels so good. So far it seems that in most areas there are a handful of more powerful enemies and if you take a few minutes to assassinate them stealthily first you can take on the big groups of regular enemies that are left pretty easily.

Also, the game rewards bouncing around various grapple points and rooftops while you're fighting, and that also feels really good and satisfying. A lot of classic samurai flicks have scenes like that where the hero kinda uses hit and run tactics to separate enemies so that they can't gang up on him.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I haven’t played that far yet, just did the tutorial and some of the early first area last night before bed.
An early highlight is that I found myself doing the optional training sessions, not because I felt I needed them, but because the guy who acts as your training partner is really likable and I wanted to see whatever additional dialogue he had to offer.
Combat, stealth, and movement all feel very good. It feels very different from Dark Souls or Bloodborne but in a cool and refreshing way. As much as I like those games it’s nice not to have to worry about backing of to refill a stamina bar or micromanaging stats and builds. Posture seems like a very nice alternative form of meter management for a quicker, more timing-based battle system. Games good!

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 22, 2019

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I've been going around chumping minibosses and some dickhead ninja dude who only had one healthbar annihilated me about 80 times.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Man the basic combat just feels so good. So far it seems that in most areas there are a handful of more powerful enemies and if you take a few minutes to assassinate them stealthily first you can take on the big groups of regular enemies that are left pretty easily.

Also, the game rewards bouncing around various grapple points and rooftops while you're fighting, and that also feels really good and satisfying. A lot of classic samurai flicks have scenes like that where the hero kinda uses hit and run tactics to separate enemies so that they can't gang up on him.

Your regular jump attack is an insanely good poke and you can reliably take down groups of enemies by hopping around like a coked-up stabby flea.

I'm still trying to get a feel for how the AI awareness works once they see you. Being caught definitely increases their field of vision by a lot, but it's not omniscient. You can still use large walls and barriers to flank alerted enemies, but you have to be very, very careful. Also if they dont know your exact position and you suddenly get in their face you can usually get in a free combo. Playing less like a samurai and more like a ninja is definitely a valid tactic if you're willing to move around constantly.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Great game, 10/10

Iverron
May 13, 2012

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Fighting big dudes became way easier once I realized that the dodge is entirely a movement tool and i-frames aren't really a thing. You should be dodging repeatedly VERY early (like, when enemies are winding up) because enemies actually dont track well, they just tend to have very wide hitboxes. A successful dodge has you either directly behind or 10 feet away from your opponent by the time they swing.

If you are basically anywhere near the front half of an enemy when they attack and do not block/parry, you are getting hit. If you're going to dodge you absolutely need to do it with the idea that you're getting away from the attack entirely, which is the opposite of Soulsbourne "wait until the last moment for max i-frames" dodging.

I need to go practice this for a few hours because god drat I can’t switch my brain over to it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Dam I'm getting owned by that first spear mini boss

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I'm pretty far in now and my only real complaint is that the red symbol attacks are often pretty impossible to determine. If the enemy is smaller or just at a weird angle it's a total guess on what you have to do and you've got like half a second to decide. Otherwise this is easily my favorite souls game 10/10.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is this more of a combat game or more of a stealth/ingenuity game? I haven't really kept up and just saw that this came out today, so am wondering if I should get it early.

For reference, I am a big fan of specifically Bloodborne and its fast combat pace, and I am not so great at stealth games like MGS or what have you. This looks like a mix of both, wondering which way it leans towards. No I have never played Tenchu.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jose posted:

same but every miniboss

also every normal enemy

gently caress

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

someone rip off this game’s combat for an online fighting game please and thank you.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol im like... 5-6 hours in and already have 4 of the too many deaths things in my inventory. im definitely on track for the worst ever ending.im getting poo poo on every direction i go. its awesome.

game is loving amazing

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
dumb question but where do I spend all my money? I've only found the one vendor on the top of a plateau in the very first area who sold a couple of things and nowhere else to spend my money, am I missing something?

ymgve posted:

same but every miniboss

also every normal enemy

gently caress
:same:

Artelier posted:

Is this more of a combat game or more of a stealth/ingenuity game? I haven't really kept up and just saw that this came out today, so am wondering if I should get it early.

For reference, I am a big fan of specifically Bloodborne and its fast combat pace, and I am not so great at stealth games like MGS or what have you. This looks like a mix of both, wondering which way it leans towards. No I have never played Tenchu.
it feels like you can sorta choose for yourself. I've been playing it heavily stealth-focused because I think that's a lot of fun, but you could also just run in head first and die fight everything head-on.

that said, some of the encounters are bonkers hard already in the first area. Stealthing around and taking out archers are stuff is going to make it a lot easier.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Yeah same. I dont know how to activate the "step on an enemy weapon" ability that should work on him. Every time I press o I dodge into the thrust. Maybe the stick has to be in neutral? I dunno.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

I guess it's more of a combat game in the sense that the stealth isn't required most of the time, whereas you will absolutely have to get good at the combat to progress. Being willing to spend time thinning out the enemies before getting into big brawls does make things a lot easier though.

Jose posted:

He was a great first mini boss/tutorial boss because he destroyed me the first time, I almost beat him the second and third time, and then dominated him without taking a scratch the fourth time. If every boss was like that the game would be perfectly designed imo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah same. I dont know how to activate the "step on an enemy weapon" ability that should work on him. Every time I press o I dodge into the thrust. Maybe the stick has to be in neutral? I dunno.

I got that after fighting him lol

I think I've got 2 of those too many death things already of that's what they are

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Runs perfect on my i4590 and 970 at 1080p max settings if anyone's on the fence. At least an hour in that is.

For any controller problems, I have had no issues using a PS4 controller with ds4 windows emulating a Xbox 360 controller.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Practice with undead bro. His attacks are much easier to read.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Your Computer posted:

dumb question but where do I spend all my money? I've only found the one vendor on the top of a plateau in the very first area who sold a couple of things and nowhere else to spend my money, am I missing something?

Not sure which one you refer to here, might be one I've missed. Here's those I've found:

After beating horse rider boss backtrack up the stairs to find an area with a few NPCs inside and a vendor outside to the right. He sells one not-estus shard too!

Climbing up to the main castle somewhere to the right with all the rooftops, there is a NPC stuck inside near the castle wall. Talk to him and he will show up in the shrine later.

Near the main castle entrance to the left, next to a not-bonfire which leads to a catacomb-like area

On the other side of the broken bridge (where the previews showed a boss fight) inside one of the buildings is a hat dude vendor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Yeah, just neutral dodge when you see the attack coming. The timing is honestly pretty loose and it ends up trivializing the spear guys.