Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
At Hirata's Estate - and after three hours, dozens upon dozens of deaths, having no sen, three rots and no idea what to do now i finally beat that loving blue ninja bastard mother fucker in the tower and yes i know hes optional but gently caress HIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Defeated the Chained Ogre! Feels so good. Only took 5 or 6 tries, but his diving grab is one of the cheapest moves in the series.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Nope. You get a sword. That's it.

I really wish this game was clearly as to what's parryable and what isn't. Dying to something I couldn't parry but also didn't show the red mark feels kinda futile.

The game clearly says what is and isn't parryable, you can't parry sweeps (jump) and grabs (dodge).

What attack killed you?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

ZZZorcerer posted:

The game clearly says what is and isn't parryable, you can't parry sweeps (jump) and grabs (dodge).

What attack killed you?

Chained Ogre's punch, multiple times because I also thought "Well the red mark didn't show up, and it's not a sweep", but it can't be parried.

Also, I don't get the posture mechanic existing for something like the ogre, given that you can't rely on breaking their posture at all.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Walrus posted:

just to clarify, it's the xp to your next level you lose when you die, right? not total xp?
probably figured it out by now but yes, any skill points you get are banked, just the bar drops.

I spent like 30 minutes throwing myself at that first general last night trying to learn my limits and i still don't feel like I earned the win

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ZZZorcerer posted:

What attack killed you?
I think what's confusing is that it's sometimes hard to tell if you blocked or parried an attack. It took me a while to even realize that I had a block :v:

Everyone saying you gotta start parrying when the enemy winds up their attack are probably blocking and not parrying. That's also probably what happened to me with the purple shinobi - it looks like if you block a strong attack (or perhaps also parry in the case of real slow wind up attacks?) you're forced down on your knees which fucks with all of your inputs (and will probably get you hit)

lonter
Oct 12, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Chained Ogre's punch, multiple times because I also thought "Well the red mark didn't show up, and it's not a sweep", but it can't be parried.

Also, I don't get the posture mechanic existing for something like the ogre, given that you can't rely on breaking their posture at all.

The punch? The overhead fist slam into the ground? I never tried parrying that, but I am sure every other move is deflectable in the game. So it would be weird if you can't deflect that.

Also sweeps show the red kanji or whatever.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I think what's confusing is that it's sometimes hard to tell if you blocked or parried an attack. It took me a while to even realize that I had a block :v:

Everyone saying you gotta start parrying when the enemy winds up their attack are probably blocking and not parrying. That's also probably what happened to me with the purple shinobi - it looks like if you block a strong attack (or perhaps also parry in the case of real slow wind up attacks?) you're forced down on your knees which fucks with all of your inputs (and will probably get you hit)

Yeah, you need to party just before you got hit. If you get the swords clash noise but no big spark you blocked but didn't parry. The big spark/flash lets you know you hit the parry.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah my problem is def that I flinch too early and end up blocking not parry

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ahahaha gently caress me this was like my 100th death but i bust out lauging. small surprise enemy spoiler for top of the castle. sound makes it better: https://gfycat.com/DecisiveComfortableAmericankestrel

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Pathos posted:

Nope, one monitor... Running anywhere from Extreme to Low and I get massive frequent frame drops. Newest nvidia drivers... man, what the gently caress is going on

Have you updated windows lately? there was a major bug where mouse input would cause frame drops...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

Is there a way for icons on PC to appear as PS4 buttons instead of Xbox One buttons?

If you use DS4Windows it forces PS4 buttons, same as most PC games.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jose posted:

Do I get the.option to use a big 2h weapon like in souls games?

There was a picture posted earlier that seems like yes

moonlight greatsword makes a return in some fashion. Unless that was an NPC?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zaphod42 posted:

There was a picture posted earlier that seems like yes

moonlight greatsword makes a return in some fashion. Unless that was an NPC?

it was a mod sadly

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

probably figured it out by now but yes, any skill points you get are banked, just the bar drops.

I spent like 30 minutes throwing myself at that first general last night trying to learn my limits and i still don't feel like I earned the win

I fought that guy 2 times and got close to beating him but didn't quite get it. Then I ninja'd around behind him, dropped on his head, took out 1 of his life bars just from the death-from-above, and managed to parry into killing him.

Did I earn the win? gently caress yeah I did who cares this is ninja-souls.

I love how Tenchu this is where just fighting every enemy seems like a really bad and pointless move. Stealth is huge, avoiding combat is really important. In Dark Souls sneaking around or running past enemies felt like you were cheating, but in this it seems 100% intentional and encouraged.

MMF Freeway posted:

it was a mod sadly

oh son of a bitch, I fell for it :(

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Is anyone else having problems running Sekiro on PC? I downloaded it last night and played through the tutorial until you get the arm, and the performance was really bad (like 20 fps or something) even though I turned graphics settings to minimum and decreased the resolution a bunch.

My PC is a laptop, but it's a gaming laptop that ran DS3 fine, and my graphics card looks like it's at the recommended level (my CPU is only 2.5ghz, which is actually below the recommendations for DS3, but again, DS3 ran really well). Am I just hosed and have to buy a PS4? Is there like a DSFix-style solution to improve things? Or is there some performance improvement thing I'm missing?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ZZZorcerer posted:

What attack killed you?

Aside from grabs I think that symbol just means it's not blockable, it can still be parried. But if you mess up the parry you'll take a ton of damage so it's risky.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
How do you get to the cave near the temple, near the Ashina Outskirts Wall? It's way down on a cliff face there, and no grapple points.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

RatHat posted:

Aside from grabs I think that symbol just means it's not blockable, it can still be parried. But if you mess up the parry you'll take a ton of damage so it's risky.

No, you can only parry red thrusts. Red swipes and grabs require jumps or dodges.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I’m actually having a pretty easy time deflecting, something I had a hard time doing I’m dark souls. I’m guessing they made it easier?

Also holy crap is the grappling hook fun:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I saw a site claiming that you recover posture faster while blocking. Is this true?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

wocobob posted:

Is anyone else having problems running Sekiro on PC? I downloaded it last night and played through the tutorial until you get the arm, and the performance was really bad (like 20 fps or something) even though I turned graphics settings to minimum and decreased the resolution a bunch.

My PC is a laptop, but it's a gaming laptop that ran DS3 fine, and my graphics card looks like it's at the recommended level (my CPU is only 2.5ghz, which is actually below the recommendations for DS3, but again, DS3 ran really well). Am I just hosed and have to buy a PS4? Is there like a DSFix-style solution to improve things? Or is there some performance improvement thing I'm missing?

Dude there's been people posting about graphics problems like every other page. Read the thread. Check to see if its using on-board graphics, update your drivers, update windows, google around, etc.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Anyone have any suggestions for controls remapping on PS4? I kinda don't like having my quick item use button on Up, I feel like I'm scrambling to hit a lot of the time and that doesn't feel smooth

Zaphod42 posted:

I fought that guy 2 times and got close to beating him but didn't quite get it. Then I ninja'd around behind him, dropped on his head, took out 1 of his life bars just from the death-from-above, and managed to parry into killing him.

Did I earn the win? gently caress yeah I did who cares this is ninja-souls.
Totally fair!

a lot of my hang up is that yeah i feel like im cheating just stealth killing guys and not always learning their moves, which is def the point! i just gotta wrap my brain around it. i actually went to fight the general head on a couple times to prove that I could get the first deathblow on him in a real fight before I went for the stealth takedowns

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

RatHat posted:

The red symbol means an attack is unblockable and will either be a lunge, sweep, or grab. You can parry a lunge to knock off their poise. You can also dodge it and follow up to chip at vitality. You can jump over a sweep and press jump again in the air to do an air kick and knock off a ton of poise. If it opens them up to a kill then you can hit the kill from the air and it is cool as hell. You can also kinda dodge around a sweep but it is tough. If it is a grab you'll want to dodge and follow up with an attack.

Another thing you might miss if you don't do the early training, the lower an enemies vitality the longer it takes for their poise to recover.

Iverron
May 13, 2012

RatHat posted:

I saw a site claiming that you recover posture faster while blocking. Is this true?

Yes. Or at least it’s an in game tool tip while loading.

buildmorefarms
Aug 13, 2004

любоваться
Doctor Rope
ahahaaha the bull miniboss is straight-up terrible

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

So you get dragonrot regardless if you rez or not right?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah. Pretty much don't worry about dragonrot. It's going to happen, it's intended, and isn't a true punishment.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Iverron posted:

Yes. Or at least it’s an in game tool tip while loading.

That's weird.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cao Ni Ma posted:

yeah, any "final" death seems to cause it. so if you're trying to avoid it I think the "optimal" way to do it is to always res, but then make your way back to a sculptors idol and rest up before you die for real

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my understanding of dragonrot is that you cant infinitely cure it so you want to do it to work on character specific sidequests and not just randomly or you can indeed gently caress yourself over.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the game has been running super well with no fuss on my GTX 1060 and i5-8400

also I got to the horse boss now. Are you just kinda SOL if you get caught in the whirlwind attack? None of my buttons seemed to do anything. And what's with the grappling? I assume it's because of the skill I got, but it doesn't seem to do anything other than getting me hit. I got it on the ogre as well, I can grapple onto the enemy but I'm just left in a bad position, it doesn't... do anything?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Gumball Gumption posted:

The red symbol means an attack is unblockable and will either be a lunge, sweep, or grab. You can parry a lunge to knock off their poise. You can also dodge it and follow up to chip at vitality. You can jump over a sweep and press jump again in the air to do an air kick and knock off a ton of poise. If it opens them up to a kill then you can hit the kill from the air and it is cool as hell. You can also kinda dodge around a sweep but it is tough. If it is a grab you'll want to dodge and follow up with an attack.

Another thing you might miss if you don't do the early training, the lower an enemies vitality the longer it takes for their poise to recover.

I'm a bit confused about the lunge parry. When I try to do it with the undead trainer the parry will not work if I just press L1, it works fine when I press L1 while I'm walking in any direction though. Do you really need to press parry+ direction or am I doing something wrong?

Bob the terrible
Aug 9, 2006

The Walrus posted:

my understanding of dragonrot is that you cant infinitely cure it so you want to do it to work on character specific sidequests and not just randomly or you can indeed gently caress yourself over.

I have died so many times to Lady Butterfly that people i have not even met are getting dragonrot.
Kinda thinking about starting a New game and wait with the bell memory.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I have finally acquired my copy and am ready to suck real bad at this ninja murder simulator

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I Have Died In The Tutorial which is probably a great sign. The party timing feels pretty natural though, so that's good!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The game is god drat fantastic but I'm having a weird issue where the game stutters while maintaining 60fps. Alt-tabbing seems to resolve it, but it's rather annoying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Expect My Mom posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for controls remapping on PS4? I kinda don't like having my quick item use button on Up, I feel like I'm scrambling to hit a lot of the time and that doesn't feel smooth

I just swapped up and triangle so up is switch prosthetic weapon and triangle is use item

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I'm not going to care about dragonrot til ng+. I figure having all tools and skills on hand will make avoidimg death doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dragonrot is literally part of the story and the game assumes you're going to die a shitload