Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Steve Vader posted:

So there's a miniature nerd game called Heroclix. It is a fun game I very much enjoy that has the reputation of having an extremely convoluted rule set due to 15+ years of experimentation. It is predominantly based on comic book superheroes, but they have branched out into Ninja Turtles, Star Trek, and Lord of the Rings and even Street Fighter and Yu-Gi-Oh in the past.

They are going to release WWE-based Heroclix later this summer.

Here is a preview image of the miniatures that was recently revealed.

This is a game that already has Muhammad Ali thanks to the classic comic he appeared in with Superman. Now I can team him up with Macho Man Randy Savage.

The hell is the Rousey doing? Her patented flying crossbody that I don't think she ever does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gaz-L posted:

The hell is the Rousey doing? Her patented flying crossbody that I don't think she ever does?

She's done in it her last few big title defences

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Yeah, she's done a bit of high risk, I guess. Por ejemplo.

There has also been some sarcastic grousing that Cena's sculpt should have been done with transparent plastic.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

One of these days I will figure out how to play heroclix

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Steve Vader posted:

There has also been some sarcastic grousing that Cena's sculpt should have been done with transparent plastic.

Surely that's a rare variant that has better stats. Do these people not know how collectible games work?

Takuan
May 6, 2007

coconono posted:

One of these days I will figure out how to play heroclix

It's almost not worth it. It's one of the most counterintuitive and poorly written nerd games I've ever played.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Takuan posted:

It's almost not worth it. It's one of the most counterintuitive and poorly written nerd games I've ever played.

And yet, I love it. Once you know, it's pretty fun because there aren't a lot of other opportunities to team Captain Kirk up with Zangief to fight the Ghost of Abraham Lincoln. They did a recent streamlining tweaking of the rules that's helped a bit, but there is a steep learning curve.

And now I've got my fingers crossed for an Undertaker and I'm stoked for Macho Man jumping off of buildings and dropping elbows on Hal Jordan.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I’m getting a John cena and I’m cutting the figure off the base and beating Superman.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Steve Vader posted:

Not only that but the crowd seriously thought she was going to win with a loving high cross. It was a hell of a nearfall.

FullMetalJackoff
Feb 15, 2004

Waluigi want his fucking Amiibo
So, Spike Chunsoft just dropped a new Fighting Road DLC for the Juniors.

The new roster additions:

Jyushin Thunder Liger
Taiji Ishimori
SHO
YOH
Tiger Mask
Jado
Shota Umino
Ren Narita
Will Ospreay
Marty Scurll
Rocky Romero
Dragon Lee
Beretta

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1037890/Fire_Pro_Wrestling_World__Fighting_Road_2017_NJPW_Junior_Heavyweight_Championship/

Edit: Welp, looks like this has been said already a few pages back. I haven't paid attention to Fire Pro updates, I'm still salty over the Australian pricing for Fire Promoter DLC (also that early access adopters are being asked to pay for something, that was supposed to be part of the base game.).

FullMetalJackoff fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 14, 2019

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

And yet, I love it. Once you know, it's pretty fun because there aren't a lot of other opportunities to team Captain Kirk up with Zangief to fight the Ghost of Abraham Lincoln. They did a recent streamlining tweaking of the rules that's helped a bit, but there is a steep learning curve.

And now I've got my fingers crossed for an Undertaker and I'm stoked for Macho Man jumping off of buildings and dropping elbows on Hal Jordan.

It's fun once you get the hang of it(and don't take it seriously[and stay the gently caress away from the competitive scene]), but man, it somehow manages to be more complex than Magic The Gathering but also significantly more shallow.

On the Fire Pro front, I don't have the Jr Heavyweight DLC yet, but reports are indicating it adds about 30 new moves and a bunch of new parts. Most significantly, they finally added a Flair Flop taunt.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Makes sense. Scurll is kind of Flair-inspired in a decent part of his act.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Makes sense. Scurll is kind of Flair-inspired in a decent part of his act.

The Flair flop was added because Jado does it. Scurll's fingersnap and stupid flappy-arms taunt are in, though.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
The Flair Flop opens up so many possibilities. Off the top of my head, the Takayama punch rush -> Flop, big grapple move -> Flop, the "in pain" taunt -> Flop. So many possibilities.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is the flop a taunt or an actual move?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
It's a taunt. It's just called "down".

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I started playing Supercard on a whim yesterday.

How long before I can start getting good cards and not get my rear end handed to me all the time? The only thing I have that's actually any good apparently is a crazy strong Luke Harper, of all things. No idea how I lucked into that nonsense.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Vandar posted:

I started playing Supercard on a whim yesterday.

How long before I can start getting good cards and not get my rear end handed to me all the time? The only thing I have that's actually any good apparently is a crazy strong Luke Harper, of all things. No idea how I lucked into that nonsense.

Hey welcome to the awful grind. Your best bet is to find an active team, on Reddit or otherwise . That’ll get you a stream of good cards through Team Battleground mode, as well as events.

If you can’t join an active team, I don’t think there’s a reliable way to get good cards with out spending a lot of money and time. You’ll likely delete the game out of boredom that way.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Hey guys, long time no see. So I finally figured out how to get MDickie's games working correctly on Windows 10 after many years...and because I always get sucked in; I'm working on a re-tooled version of Wrestling Mpire HD [totally not to do with my favourite, current music genre]. No doubt we'll be seeing a series with a recurring character in the near future :)

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

simosimo posted:

Hey guys, long time no see. So I finally figured out how to get MDickie's games working correctly on Windows 10 after many years...and because I always get sucked in; I'm working on a re-tooled version of Wrestling Mpire HD [totally not to do with my favourite, current music genre]. No doubt we'll be seeing a series with a recurring character in the near future :)

Saw your teaser video for this and I'm anticipating it greatly. One question though, will the new HD mod work with both the Booking and Career versions or just the Career version?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Angry_Ed posted:

Saw your teaser video for this and I'm anticipating it greatly. One question though, will the new HD mod work with both the Booking and Career versions or just the Career version?

Glad to hear it! The download will just be a zip archive of the game dir for Career mode, so for your booking install just drag over the respective files (Graphics, weapons, items, world folders) into your booking dir. Booking is basically the exact same game barring a different exe :)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Heroclix still being around is wild, let alone a WWE version of the game. Used to play the Marvel version of that like 15 years ago.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

DLC Inc posted:

Heroclix still being around is wild, let alone a WWE version of the game. Used to play the Marvel version of that like 15 years ago.

Apparently they are going to sell these figures individually in non-blind packs for 8 bucks a pop, which is a bit of a price jump from the single blind packs from other mini sets.

The game has changed quite a bit in 15 years. Every character has a card explaining its powers now. My guess is each figure might come with dual cards giving different powers for face and heel turns. Perhaps foreign object equipment to attach as well. Maybe even manager bystander tokens.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fire Pro junior DLC on Steam now https://store.steampowered.com/app/1037890/Fire_Pro_Wrestling_World__Fighting_Road_2017_NJPW_Junior_Heavyweight_Championship/

Coming to PS4 Apr 11

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I was discussing wrestling games with a friend yesterday and was wondering if any game did the heel/face dichotomy as well as Rumble Roses, where in order to turn heel or face you had to complete challenges (such as "win without cheating" or "hit the opponent with 5 weapon shots" as examples) and when you did enough (it was a -100/100 scale where 100 was full face and -100 was full heel) you got a gimmick change between face and heel gimmicks. Also to qualify for championship matches you needed to be fully face or fully heel. It was neat.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the market is definitely ripe for a new rumble roses

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the actual wrestling engine for Rumble Roses wasn't terrible. Only thing I can really fault it for was it was very slow. 10/10 for competitive spanking match type tho.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I remember Rumble Roses being surprisingly good, if cringy in its fan-service.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Senerio posted:

I was discussing wrestling games with a friend yesterday and was wondering if any game did the heel/face dichotomy as well as Rumble Roses, where in order to turn heel or face you had to complete challenges (such as "win without cheating" or "hit the opponent with 5 weapon shots" as examples) and when you did enough (it was a -100/100 scale where 100 was full face and -100 was full heel) you got a gimmick change between face and heel gimmicks. Also to qualify for championship matches you needed to be fully face or fully heel. It was neat.

Problem with the Heel/Face gauge is you could only do one objective at a time so it was a bit of a grind to get either a gimmick change or qualify for a championship match or change gimmick, but it was better than what was tried in the early Smackdown vs Raw games where you would lose momentum for going against your chosen alignment. I can do moonsaults and ladder spots, don't make me choose!

Endless Mike posted:

I remember Rumble Roses being surprisingly good, if cringy in its fan-service.

coconono posted:

the actual wrestling engine for Rumble Roses wasn't terrible. Only thing I can really fault it for was it was very slow. 10/10 for competitive spanking match type tho.

It was a stripped down version of the HCTP engine IIRC. So a solid base for a game like how Def Jam was based off the Aki engine.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's been years since I played it but I remember being able to do like 3 at once. Still not much.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

but it was better than what was tried in the early Smackdown vs Raw games where you would lose momentum for going against your chosen alignment. I can do moonsaults and ladder spots, don't make me choose!

Oh god I just had flashbacks to heels who couldn't do flying moves without being penalized. And gently caress you if you were a face in any kind of weapons match.

What a miserable mechanic.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Senerio posted:

It's been years since I played it but I remember being able to do like 3 at once. Still not much.

I could be wrong, but it was still an investment.

Would be a nice system to bring back for a game where you're not constantly making sure no-one's watching you play.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The goofy-rear end fighting game storyline would be neat too. That was disappointing that they dropped it from the sequel (and replaced it with a cut-down knock off of the DOA Xtreme stuff) because going through a wacky joshi tournament to fight a robot to save your brainwashed sister who dressed like a devil because of an evil nurse is the kind of camp I'm down with.

Edit: I actually wonder if Namco had a part to play in Konami not moving forward with another Rumble Roses, considering they tried to push it pretty hard. Because it's a shameless DOA rip-off. The American girl is almost literally just Tina from DOA.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 21, 2019

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Working on the backstage banners for this new blade-runner-esque MDickie mod is too much fun. Anyone remember these obscure references? ;)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:siren:

https://twitter.com/SpikeChunsoft_e/status/1109120721748283392

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

I hope it gets really loving weird.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

holy poo poo

this is the dream

Please let it involve the progeny of Dick Slender

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

:vince:

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

The goofy-rear end fighting game storyline would be neat too. That was disappointing that they dropped it from the sequel (and replaced it with a cut-down knock off of the DOA Xtreme stuff) because going through a wacky joshi tournament to fight a robot to save your brainwashed sister who dressed like a devil because of an evil nurse is the kind of camp I'm down with.

Or being a punk rocker heel who's only in it for the money to save an orphanage by hitting people with guitars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Okay I was all "Well I'm not sure there's much left they can do with the unnanounced DLC" and then oh shiiiiiiiiit

EDIT: Okay between this and the quick turnaround for the Jr. Heavyweight DLC, I think it might be possible to milk a few more expansions out of the "Fighting Road" approach- it's a simple enough format from a programming perspective that they can plug new material into, as opposed to something like Fire Promoter which was more complex and caused a logjam.

I'm really hoping they do something Joshi-themed or at least co-ed, the game really needs more female parts and voice options.

Maxwell Lord fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 22, 2019