Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the core difference between you and I is that i post about not buying lovely broken cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the core difference between you and I is that i post about not buying lovely broken cars

Yet you bought a Tesla

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You buy Audis lol

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

My Linux Rig posted:

he pressed the autopilot button

this is morally equivalent to driving drunk i m o

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

creationist believer posted:

this is morally equivalent to driving drunk i m o

in all seriousness, it does seem like that, in both the way it’s designed and its results

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

iospace posted:

Yet you bought a Tesla
no

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

man this car handles correct. it's a perfect balance of light, tight, and responsive. it's most definitely better than every audi and bmw i've driven, and i fucken love audis. together with the no-transmission acceleration and instant torque, this is a very addicting car to drive. the suspension is similarly balanced between comfort and "sport", it both handles rough roads well and corners right. there's almost no bodyroll, but thats more a center-of-gravity thing with the battery "skateboard." braking is good, i might like more sensitivity though - like if i so much as rest my foot on the brake pedal on my a6, it engages, and im into that.

the interior is good too. i would compare it to a mercedes CLA. there's room for refinement, its not audi level, but its not bad by any means.

i'm warming up to the big-screen-in-the-middle thing. i think the underlying paradigm is correct, and once you get used to it, it does seem like a better place to have the speedometer, or at least, the visibility benefit is well worth it.

while its better than say, xdrive or audi mmi, the ui needs a lot of work, and some things like climate control should get their physical switchgear back. the car radar display thing in particular is buggy and inaccurate, but its a really good safety feature when merging, and id rather have it in this state than not at all. this one doesnt have autopilot so i didnt test that

so far, my only major gripe with the model 3 is road noise. its not horrendous, like on the 9-3 i drove in college, but its much more noticeable than it ought to be especially without an IC engine to cancel it out. at this price, it should be way quieter.

there arent any panel gap issues on this example, and even though it was very dewy this morning, i couldnt find any condensation in the taillights either. i dont doubt that people are having these, and other issues - the cold weather problems in particular sound pretty serious - but i can also see why they generally qualify those legitimate complaints with "but i love this car."

as it stands, this is probably best geared towards people with money to spend driving luxury european cars: audi, bmw, mercedes, saab, volvo, who are used to putting up with various issues and "quirks" for their ride. those buyers will be very happy, and the people i know or have met who switched from one of those cars love their tesla (although thats generally been more model s drivers than model 3.) if you are expecting a toyota-like experience, wait for a refresh.

but overall: sorry yospos, its a good car lol

:thunk:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

rented

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Let me rephrase then. You willingly drove a Tesla and then wrote a glowing review of it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i wanted to actually drive the car before forming an opinion about it, yes, unlike the posters itt who openly brag about having never driven one and also not owning a car or having a license at all

teslas are pretty cheap to rent on turo so i invite each of you to do that and post your own polemic about it i guess?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

i wanted to actually drive the car before forming an opinion about it, yes, unlike the posters itt who openly brag about having never driven one and also not owning a car or having a license at all

teslas are pretty cheap to rent on turo so i invite each of you to do that and post your own polemic about it i guess?

no thanks, I’m not sure I’d feel safe in a car that routinely either automatically drives into trucks or spontaneously combusts

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

im probably going to rent another one soon so we can see whether the example i drove in oregon was just an unusually trouble-free one

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

im probably going to rent another one soon so we can see whether the example i drove in oregon was just an unusually trouble-free one

well whatever you do, don’t press that autopilot button

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i wont be doing that, autopilot is a (fatal) joke, and i actually enjoy driving anyway

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

it would be literally impossible for you to sound more like a bitcoiner

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

it would be literally impossible for you to sound more like a bitcoiner
this is a bad post and you should feel bad

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
don't mind that teslas are dumber than poo poo and will kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions

you have to drive one to get it!!!!!

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
poor old tesla, thought of fire trucks and died

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Zlodo posted:

don't mind that teslas are dumber than poo poo and will kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions

you have to drive one to get it!!!!!

not if you want the no-test-drive discount

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

this is a bad post and you should feel bad

actually, it is you

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hope everybody's having a great friday

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

i do expect you to know the difference between an M47 Diesel engine (one of BMWs best) and an N46 Gasoline engine (one of their worst).

Also good find, that E90 Post mortem is why i know so much about the Valvetronic failure modes because between then and now is over 100 Engineering hours in finding wtf went wrong in that motor.

E:
And had you read the entire story you would have known its not my car, but my best friends car, whom i warned about the Valvetronic unit 3 years ago when he bought the E90. But i guess a raging boner about owning some dude on the internet who literally gets paid with your idiot money was irresistible

you should consider good buying decisions and not posting like an idiot instead

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 22, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

i do expect you to know the difference between an M47 Diesel engine (one of BMWs best) and an N46 Gasoline engine (one of their worst).

Also good find, that E90 Post mortem is why i know so much about the Valvetronic failure modes because between then and now is over 100 Engineering hours in finding wtf went wrong in that motor.
yeah i would never buy an n46, or an e90 tbh (ugly.) my e92 desire is limited to the N52, there is no fuckin way i would buy an N54 just to have the HPFP poo poo the bed and etc etc etc. not interested in putting up with the n51 sulev issues just for the extended warranty either

Combat Theory posted:

And had you read the entire story you would have known its not my car, but my best friends car, whom i warned about the Valvetronic unit 3 years ago when he bought the E90. But i guess a raging boner about owning some dude on the internet who literally gets paid with your idiot money was irresistible
i actually live in the US right now, which i figured you would know based on stalking me from thread to thread in a blind rage over my enjoyment of a car you dont like (and have possibly never driven?) from atop your shambling pile of 20 year old bmws

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 22, 2019

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://youtu.be/RjGe0GiiFzw

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

i actually live in the US right now, which i figured you would know based on stalking me from thread to thread in a blind rage over my enjoyment of a car you dont like (and have possibly never driven?) from atop your shambling pile of 20 year old bmws

it may come as a shock to you but those cars are still engineered in Germany and i still get paid by your idiot money regardless if you buy the vehicle in Ingolstadt, Texas or the UAE.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
hey combat theory what do you think about the golf alltrack? thinking of buying one for ~*MY WIFE*~

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lightbulb Out posted:

hey combat theory what do you think about the golf alltrack? thinking of buying one for ~*MY WIFE*~

Which Engine? Generally try to avoid VW AWD, its a lot of extra weight for very little more than what the FWD offers.

I didnt have an EA888 on the dyno yet so no idea about the Gasoline Engine. the 2.0 TDI seems like a good option, if they managed to 6d-TEMP certify them by now.

if you dont feel emotionally attached to whatever options the Alltrack comes with, i would suggest going for the Motor of your choice in a regular Golf instead, youll save up to 300 Kg of dry mass and a good amount of money.
Also dont get the DSG. If you dont want to wiggle the stick yourself, take the Torque Converter automatic, itll save you an arm and a leg in the long run.
We are currently measuring the EA211 Evo Motor, or simply "The Evo". I can ask around a bit about that one next week if you like, see what i hear about any weird kinks.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 22, 2019

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
are dsgs just one of those things that sound nice in theory but in practice are just engineering/reliability nightmares and things trying to achieve what they do should just stay in ferrari land

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
she wants a manual wagon, in the US, so its basically a crosstrek or an alltrack. would love to get something older but i dont want to have to think about it. they have the 1.8t. no dsg for this family.

well aware of the issues with the awd systems, not my first choice - but thats why i have a pile of e30s and she can drive something newer, safer, and awd is nice in the winter especially with winter tires

more on topic: i recently got to drive a chevy bolt and it was pretty nice?? it makes a lot of sense for certain markets. i don't know why you'd pick a model 3 other than the tesla hype. the model s at least makes some sense to me.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

lancemantis posted:

are dsgs just one of those things that sound nice in theory but in practice are just engineering/reliability nightmares and things trying to achieve what they do should just stay in ferrari land

The Problem isnt so much the concept, the problem is cheaping out on them.

If memory serves me right, VW Drivetrains seperate DSGs at 280 Nm of Torque. lower than that you get dry clutches, above you get wet clutches. The dry clutches dont last. Service costs so much you gonna ask to pay in souls of the damned instead.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Lightbulb Out posted:

she wants a manual wagon, in the US, so its basically a crosstrek or an alltrack. would love to get something older but i dont want to have to think about it. they have the 1.8t. no dsg for this family.

well aware of the issues with the awd systems, not my first choice - but thats why i have a pile of e30s and she can drive something newer, safer, and awd is nice in the winter especially with winter tires

more on topic: i recently got to drive a chevy bolt and it was pretty nice?? it makes a lot of sense for certain markets. i don't know why you'd pick a model 3 other than the tesla hype. the model s at least makes some sense to me.

Honestly you are so deep into the German Car US market i think you can better tell me what to buy ^^
If a Subaru Crosstrek is on the Table, i would propably tend to prefer that one if only for the Drivetrain and rear axle, that was considered from the get go as an AWD. But dont ask me about Subaru Engines, they are very rare here.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

My Linux Rig posted:

he pressed the autopilot button

let's just call it antipilot from now on

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lightbulb Out posted:

Dehumanize Yourself And Face To Niro

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Agreed. as I wrote in the opening of my review, it’s not the garbagemobile this thread wishes it was.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

impreza 5 door is a wagon as well but i'm guessing you said crosstrek because you want the extra couple of inches of clearance.

subaru engines still have oil consumption issues but they'll exhibit their problems within the warranty period if they're going to have that issue

edit: to be clear, all boxer engines consume some oil but the problem engines drink oil like a mazda rotary. subaru considers adding up to about a quart between the long interval oil changes as normal.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 22, 2019

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

hobbesmaster posted:

impreza 5 door is a wagon as well but i'm guessing you said crosstrek because you want the extra couple of inches of clearance.

subaru engines still have oil consumption issues but they'll exhibit their problems within the warranty period if they're going to have that issue

my wife prefers the look of the crosstrek over the regular impreza. she wants that or like an sti. they don't make the sti/wrx hatch anymore so thats out. it's also a little much for our commuting needs when i already have "fun" cars

almost everyone i know has had the engine out of their subaru at some point out of warranty.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Dehumanize Yourself And Face To Niro

manual is one of the requirements.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Lightbulb Out posted:

manual is one of the requirements.

that's stupid just get a hybrid

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

that's stupid just get a hybrid

that's stupid, i should get a manual transmission.

she has a longer interstate commute where a hybrid isn't as ideal.

not to mention a manual transmission makes a boring car immediately more fun

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i don't know as a person that drove manual transmissions for years i don't think any type of transmission can make anything really all that much more fun that wasn't meant to be in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

lancemantis posted:

i don't know as a person that drove manual transmissions for years i don't think any type of transmission can make anything really all that much more fun that wasn't meant to be in the first place

the honda fit is a good example. i didn't like the way it drove until i drove one with a manual transmission. then i could make it do what i wanted.

if i wanted a hybrid - i would go full BEV. the hybrid doesn't appeal to me, although i'm sure it meets a lot of other peoples needs.