Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Sekiro good? Should buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My first Bloodborne playthrough I accidentally killed Eileen and went "Welp"

Like I dunno I think the fun things about From games are those mechanical elements that other devs would be too timid to try, it's bizarre to see people say "This makes me feel bad and I'm gonna refund it gently caress you From"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Re me being on lady butterfly

I googled it regarding to boss order and ummm...

apparently i was supposed to have foughht some chained ogre/three other things before reaching lady butterflys level ... yikes no wonder the drunk before her was so hard too... well shes dead now and i can sleep, sequence breaking hoooooo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My first Bloodborne playthrough I accidentally killed Eileen and went "Welp"

Like I dunno I think the fun things about From games are those mechanical elements that other devs would be too timid to try, it's bizarre to see people say "This makes me feel bad and I'm gonna refund it gently caress you From"

It's pretty rare that killing an NPC will ever do much more than lock you out of that particular NPCs questline, and that kind of stuff I never worry about in my first playthrough of a FROM game or I'd go insane. I'm pretty confident that the Dragonrot thing is gonna be similar; a necessary mechanic to keep track of if you're doing specific side things related to NPCs but nothing that's going to effect your ability to actually progress in the main story.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i would say no because as far as i can tell the attacking is still the same kind of "stuck in the animation" stuff. the reason you seem "slow or sluggish" in those games is other games tend to let you cancel a movement or attack or whatever and in soulsborne you have to complete the action you're taking. although in bloodborne everything's fast so the complaint is a little weird. the controls are responsive in all the games you just have to commit to what you're doing.

Yeah I mean Bloodborne is fastER than Dark Soles for sure, but I guess it's my fear of commitment that has me bouncing off of those titles; I was just hoping this felt like Ninja Gaiden bc I've wanted a new NG for years, but sounds like this isn't it so I'll skip it. Thanks m8!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Post Chained Ogre stuff: Man the Snake segment is so loving good, I wasn't even mad that it was a mandatory stealth segment that i hosed up like three times. I really hope there's just a big ol yamato no orochi boss and that snake was just one of it's heads

Gonna go plunk around the Hirata estate finally. I'm having a blast

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Kingfish posted:

Sekiro good? Should buy?

It's like if Bloodborne and Tenchu had a baby with Dark Souls bonfire checkpoints. I'm lovin' it!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Expect My Mom posted:

Post Chained Ogre stuff: Man the Snake segment is so loving good, I wasn't even mad that it was a mandatory stealth segment that i hosed up like three times. I really hope there's just a big ol yamato no orochi boss and that snake was just one of it's heads

Gonna go plunk around the Hirata estate finally. I'm having a blast

I ducked into the little hut there just as a way to hide while the snake went by, but then all the sudden I see the little red icon pop up...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Kingfish posted:

Sekiro good? Should buy?

Extremely good. Also extremely hard, but holy gently caress is it rewarding when you GET poo poo DONE.

Basebf555 posted:

I ducked into the little hut there just as a way to hide while the snake went by, but then all the sudden I see the little red icon pop up...

Yeah, that was a bad rear end moment. Then a while later I noticed Sekiro was now like 75% covered in snake blood :v:.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 22, 2019

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Good game.
Small complaint: can't walk off trees, but otherwise movement options are amazing coming from other soulslikes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
how do you deal with kicks? can you even parry kicks? I feel like every enemy who kicks does like 10 in a row and mixes it up with a bunch of other poo poo

I keep getting my rear end kicked (heh) by every single enemy who kicks and I feel like I have no way of dealing with it

The Kingfish posted:

Sekiro good? Should buy?

it's hella

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So, Lady Butterfly - how many snap reeds do you need for the fight? Also, is there somewhere I can get more of them?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Your Computer posted:

how do you deal with kicks? can you even parry kicks? I feel like every enemy who kicks does like 10 in a row and mixes it up with a bunch of other poo poo

I keep getting my rear end kicked (heh) by every single enemy who kicks and I feel like I have no way of dealing with it

it's hella

If you can parry a dog or chicken's lunge I feel like you should be able to parry a kick

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The game is difficult but part of it is also just getting used to the combat system. If you go in thinking its Soulsborne combat, you're going to get your rear end handed to you repeatedly.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Is Japanese with English text the best option for most people? I imagine that's what nearly everyone is choosing,.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Has anyone found a way into the area (after Chained Ogre again) that the sign on the temple is alluding to, that speaks of headless spirits? There was a branch I could grapple to past it, but nowhere else to reach

and oh my god there's a (early Hirata Estate) Ako Manto/Hanako-san in this game

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Funso Banjo posted:

Is Japanese with English text the best option for most people? I imagine that's what nearly everyone is choosing,.

yes

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you can parry a dog or chicken's lunge I feel like you should be able to parry a kick

If you can parry a wrench you can parry a ball

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm probably just going to change it to English because I like the voice acting in From games and I was already missing subtitles in the intro movie because I was too engaged with the visuals.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I've cooled off on some stuff, and I'm enjoying the game. I actually find it easier that Soulsbornes. Something about the rhythm and what they let you do with the combat feels good. I like that I can just use sword clashes to deflect blows and make a stalemate that I can use to figure out a moveset. It feels better than trying to figure out what the game will let me dodge. Agreed with Cowcaster though, that symbol that pops up for the enemies' attacks fucks me up. I keep thinking it's me powering up.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

1stGear posted:

The game is difficult but part of it is also just getting used to the combat system. If you go in thinking its Soulsborne combat, you're going to get your rear end handed to you repeatedly.

I think I am learning this with the axemen, treating them like Bloodborne trolls was not working.

I really think I am just gonna dig in and try to clear the mob outside the Drunkard without losing life to prove to myself I've learned things, that's what I did with the opening alley of Bloodborne (which is also why it took me 20 hours to clear Central Yharnam)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

that's true

I'm thinking maybe it's loving me up is that you can't guard it so if you mistime a single parry you're just kicked around?

Funso Banjo posted:

who plays a japanese game set in fantasy japan where you play as a shinobi and talk to samurai but switches the voices to english lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

This game is loving perfect so far, I love how I'm becoming one with the blade and loving poo poo up by being a total bad-rear end. Not to say I haven't built up a bunch of rot lol.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

ymgve posted:

So, Lady Butterfly - how many snap reeds do you need for the fight? Also, is there somewhere I can get more of them?

You need 0. You can pop the illusions with the shuriken, or just dodge around until they turn into the homing butterflies that explode, then dogde that. Having them makes the fight easier, but I think you can only buy more from a vendor further into the game.

Another tip, use shurikens when she is jumping around the strings.

Electronico6 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 22, 2019

Nifft
Oct 5, 2001
I'm absolutely spiffng!
No quick way to replay the tutorial boss right? Have to start a new game?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've been banging my head against the Chained Ogre for 2 hours now. No matter what I do, he just manages to grab me seemingly out of nowhere, welp, dead, gently caress you, try again.

I really don't know if I'm enjoying this game at all. A lot of it feels unfair like Soulsborne wasn't.

Something that I found helped me was to ignore the tutorial popup that says to dodge his grabs, and instead just jump away whenever he starts one. Dodging requires some kind of actual timing and directional control, while jumping backwards seemed to make him whiff with no effort.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
this cow is painting the floor with me

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Martian Manfucker posted:

Was going to ask if I should buy this and I see the answer to that question is yes

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Martian Manfucker posted:

If you hit it enough times in the head, it might just tip over.

(also firecrackers)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
oh my god I finally defeated the purple shinobi :sax:

extremely worth it, this reward is awesome

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm so bad at this game help

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm so bad at this game help

try jumping

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How's ultrawide with these fixes? Trying to decide whether to wait till this get more properly fixed or dive in

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

omg the chained ogre gently caress that was fun as hell aaaaaaaaaa yesssssssss this game is all the buys

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo you don't have enough health at the start of the game, the first health upgrade should be your baseline. The early game seems like it's balanced around having at least one health upgrade but it's a LONG time before you get it even if you do every boss as soon as they become available. Other than that I have virtually no complaints so far other than tiny personal qualms, this game is just fantastic.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

:siren: Tighten up spoilers people tia :siren:

and have fun and sword mans

edit; adding some of your posts to the OP now

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

This was like the best game moment I've had in a decade.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The Spirit Emblem Capacity+ upgrades are kinda negligible so far in my exp, just an fyi

but also i just got the axe and i love it so maybe i'll want one more?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Fighting big dudes became way easier once I realized that the dodge is entirely a movement tool and i-frames aren't really a thing. You should be dodging repeatedly VERY early (like, when enemies are winding up) because enemies actually dont track well, they just tend to have very wide hitboxes. A successful dodge has you either directly behind or 10 feet away from your opponent by the time they swing.

If you are basically anywhere near the front half of an enemy when they attack and do not block/parry, you are getting hit. If you're going to dodge you absolutely need to do it with the idea that you're getting away from the attack entirely, which is the opposite of Soulsbourne "wait until the last moment for max i-frames" dodging.

Firstborn posted:

After some testing, only FINAL ACTUAL DEATH seems to progress Dragonrot. If you avoid using ress, that just means you are rotting faster. I tested this by being killed a bunch of times by the ogre and accepting the death - I woke up with 2 people dragonrotted.

Restarted, and died a bunch of times to the ogre, but used ress, and sometimes just ran back to the bonfire and rested. I got the sculptor rotting like the story suggests, but nothing further. Way more deaths here.

Use the ress.

The Walrus posted:

literally all you need to know about Dragonrot is: it is inevitable, part of the story, but don't cure it unless you have a specific reason to do so.

this should probably go in the OP

Gumball Gumption posted:

The red symbol means an attack is unblockable and will either be a lunge, sweep, or grab. You can parry a lunge to knock off their poise. You can also dodge it and follow up to chip at vitality. You can jump over a sweep and press jump again in the air to do an air kick and knock off a ton of poise. If it opens them up to a kill then you can hit the kill from the air and it is cool as hell. You can also kinda dodge around a sweep but it is tough. If it is a grab you'll want to dodge and follow up with an attack.

Another thing you might miss if you don't do the early training, the lower an enemies vitality the longer it takes for their poise to recover.

Putting these in the OP

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Your regular jump attack is an insanely good poke and you can reliably take down groups of enemies by hopping around like a coked-up stabby flea.

I'm still trying to get a feel for how the AI awareness works once they see you. Being caught definitely increases their field of vision by a lot, but it's not omniscient. You can still use large walls and barriers to flank alerted enemies, but you have to be very, very careful. Also if they dont know your exact position and you suddenly get in their face you can usually get in a free combo. Playing less like a samurai and more like a ninja is definitely a valid tactic if you're willing to move around constantly.

I ran away from the second General Samurai and he followed me up a hill, shimmied along a wall to the roof, came in the broken wall, down the hall and back around through the grass. Those fuckers must never lose aggro :allears:

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I've been banging my head against the Chained Ogre for 2 hours now. No matter what I do, he just manages to grab me seemingly out of nowhere, welp, dead, gently caress you, try again.

I really don't know if I'm enjoying this game at all. A lot of it feels unfair like Soulsborne wasn't.

Chained Ogre is to Cleric Beast what _______ is to Gascoigne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've learned from this reddit thread by the man himself that Sekiro's English voice actor is Noshir Dalal, who played/portrayed Charles in Red Dead Redemption 2! So that's cool! The English voices are worth checking out, I'm sticking with the recommended JP but from using them for a while I can say they definitely didn't sleep on the English VA quality.