Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why are you all posting the least funny Don Rosa pages?

Why do you constantly have to be a no fun prick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Join the like-minded horde of 1171 other fine goons and put him on ignore and stop quoting or responding to him. Then you never need to worry about the answer to that question again.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
BOTL needs therapy but they've probably scared away anyone that could forcibly intervene by now.

Also hey the Moon theme!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think they may be doing John Carter of Mars but instead of Mars it's the Moon, and instead of John Carter it's Della Duck. Native moon-people are bigger because of the lower gravity, but an Earthborn creature adapted to higher gravity will have more muscular power.

Who knows what lunar politics have in store for Della?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I liked it as a stand-alone episode but overall it felt a little . . . fan-servicy. That might be an inevitability though.

I still think it'll be a mistake if they add Della to the main general cast. It's ok for mom-archetype to show up every so often in a Boy's Own adventure but ultimately the engine driving the stories is Cool Uncle No Parents escapism, and I'm not sure they can keep threading that needle if there's always a mom figure around.

I thought it was less of a no-parents thing and more of a weird thing where the adult characters have adult authority but no technical responsibility for their relatives who are not technically their progeny, so they all have to go it on their own. There's weird Randian theories about it.

Okay, well, not really. Actually adding characters as uncles/cousins/nephews is the least narratively demanding way of adding characters with some kind of relationship to the main cast, and before there was a whole established Duck/McDuck/Gander/Coot/Goose family tree, Scrooge was just another one-off character. Still doesn't count for the cartoon because Webby's grandma is in the cast, and that's like a double parent.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC, back in the day it was more that censorship boards and moral guardians would get twitchy about parents being portrayed in basically any way that wasn't the accepted social norm, but uncles and aunts have way more freedom for things like love interests and such, and it was easy to cut out the middleman.

Nowadays you can get away with a lot more, especially with the idea of Della being a single mom with the father not in the picture, whereas back in the old days that'd be unthinkable to show in a children's comic book.

Was getting the impression with the video logs and repeated attempts to repair the ship, they were doing some references to The Martian, though that might just be a bit inevitable given the premise.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

drrockso20 posted:

Because there's way better stuff, like the fact that Scrooge McDuck canonically caused the Titanic to sink, killing over 1,500 people.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Because there's way better stuff, like the fact that Scrooge McDuck canonically caused the Titanic to sink, killing over 1,500 people.

So post it instead of just making GBS threads on what other people posted.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I mean, canonically in this show, Scrooge has bragged that a vast number of people have died cursing his name, so I believe it. I also believe 1500 is lowballing it... by a lot.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ikanreed posted:

One of the first parts of a Disney adventure narrative is to get the parents out of the picture so the youth can have their coming of age stories by their own hands.

It's so universal a characteristic, calling it a trope is almost understatement.

What's also universal for these types of stores is a what if sequence showing what would happen if the tragic event never happened, either as a fantasy, dream sequence/ nightmare, or plot to trap the protagonist (or some combination thereof)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

thexerox123 posted:

So post it instead of just making GBS threads on what other people posted.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, back in the day it was more that censorship boards and moral guardians would get twitchy about parents being portrayed in basically any way that wasn't the accepted social norm, but uncles and aunts have way more freedom for things like love interests and such, and it was easy to cut out the middleman.

It's an expression of capitalistic ideology, as pointed out by Dorfman and Mattelart.

e:

"Patriarchy in our society is defended, by the patriarchs, as a matter of biological predeter­mination (undoubtedly sustained by a social structure which institutionalizes the education of the child as primarily a family responsibility). Uncle-authority, on the other hand, not having been conferred by the father (the uncle's broth­ers and sisters, who must in theory have given birth to the nephews, simply do not exist), is of purely de facto origin, rather than a natural right. It is a contractual relationship mas­querading as a natural relationship, a tyranny which does not even assume the responsibility of breeding. And one cannot rebel against it in the name of nature; one cannot say to an uncle "you are a bad father." Within this family perimeter, no one loves anyone else, there is never an expression of af­fection or loyalty towards another human being. In any moment of suffering, a person is alone; there is no disinterested or friendly helping hand. One encounters, at best, a sense of pity, derived from a view of the other as so me cripple or beg­gar, some old down-and-out deserving of our charity.
[...]
Beneath all the charm of the sweet little creatures of Disney, on the other hand, lurks the law of the jungle: envy, ruthless­ness, cruelty, terror, blackmail, exploitation of the weak. Lacking vehicles for their natural af­fection, children learn through Disney fear and hatred."

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 12, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

A bunch of fan art.

So it's the opposite of canon. It's both fake and unfunny.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

MonsterEnvy posted:

So it's the opposite of canon. It's both fake and unfunny.

It's public knowledge that Don Rosa made it. It's even included in some editions of his collected works.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 12, 2019

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Why are you all posting the least funny Don Rosa pages?

Are you really someone who ought to talk about people doing something not funny?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
HEY GUYS SO WHEN DO WE THINK LENA WILL LET WEBBY KNOW SHE'S HER SHADOW?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I dunno, but it'll happen this season, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I IMAGINE WHEN THEY DECIDE TO DO ANOTHER WEBBY EPISODE, PROVIDED THAT THEY DON"T USE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO A GAG HEAVY PREMISE THAT WOULD NOT ALLOW THE EMOTIONAL HEFT THE LENA REVEAL WILL REQUIRE. THAT OR THE LAST EPISODE OF THE SEASON. OR NEXT SEASON. I DUNNO, NO ONE IN THIS THREAD IS PSYCHIC.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

HEY GUYS SO WHEN DO WE THINK LENA WILL LET WEBBY KNOW SHE'S HER SHADOW?

Well, based on the promo for May, it's gonna happen relatively soon. There's a two-second shot of a Webby/Lena light/shadow monster, so it looks like the effort to get Lena her body back goes kind of bonkers.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

why are you guys yelling

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Hihohe posted:

why are you guys yelling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Wv60_FIl8 ?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lena is obviously Webby's Stand.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Lena's return has been speculated for a while but the news on her return has been rather airtight. A few wink-winks from Matt Youngberg seem to point to her returning in some way.

The lone thing I've seen leaked is...for whatever reason? An IDW /Disney comic featuring her and Webby got published in Brazil featuring a pulled story.

https://freshcomics.us/issue/FEB180364/ducktales-8-ghiglione-cover

I have yet to see this comic for sale nor does said comic's story appear in the collection I currently have ("Quests and Quacks"). It appears to have been replaced with "The Sleepwalk of Doom".

Anyways. That's the lone info I really have. As she is my favorite character? I'm rather hopeful for her return.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Looks like I will be trying to find the Scrooge and Nephews minifigs. :negative:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Them leaving out Webby is like the Venture Brothers leaving out Hank.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

There's no Aladdin either, so I guess Webby is for the second season of disney minifigs

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

kefkafloyd posted:

Looks like I will be trying to find the Scrooge and Nephews minifigs. :negative:

Don't tell me Lego is doing lootboxes now.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

kefkafloyd posted:

Just ebay them, trust me it's way easier and probably cheaper than doing blind bags.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Psychedelicatessen posted:

There's no Aladdin either, so I guess Webby is for the second season of disney minifigs

This is the second series, and Aladdin was in the first with Genie.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

RandomPauI posted:

Them leaving out Webby is like the Venture Brothers leaving out Hank.

To be fair, this is original DuckTales. Webby wasn't as much an adventurer then.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gann Jerrod posted:

This is the second series, and Aladdin was in the first with Genie.

Unrelated, I have to say that having markings on the outside of a blind box that can identify the contents of the blind box seems to defeat the purpose a bit.
(But I guess only nerds online are going to care enough to carefully squint and search through to get the ones they don't already have.)

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

ikanreed posted:

Don't tell me Lego is doing lootboxes now.

They've been doing them for nearly 10 years.

SubNat posted:

Unrelated, I have to say that having markings on the outside of a blind box that can identify the contents of the blind box seems to defeat the purpose a bit.
(But I guess only nerds online are going to care enough to carefully squint and search through to get the ones they don't already have.)

I think they took away identification marks like on their third series.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SubNat posted:

It's useful for their automated processes to make sure they're producing the right amounts at the end of the line, but they probably should've consulted with other companies on how to do it without marks like literally every Japanese gatchpon toy packager and other blind box merch producers.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Catching up on this thread late gave me the pleasure of getting to read one last batch of BotL posts.

Good riddance

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I had him on ignore, he's been perma'd? That is good news! :toot:

Now if only we didn't have to wait till May for the show to come back.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Do we have a "Ding Dong Botl is dead" thread?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
BOTL had the gentlest trolling imaginable, I can understand him being kicked for being annoying but y’all could afford to toughen up a bit

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

HIJK posted:

BOTL had the gentlest trolling imaginable, I can understand him being kicked for being annoying but y’all could afford to toughen up a bit

It was a constant and persistent stream of him making GBS threads on just about everything and got to the point where he got mod challenged and failed and even didn't get punished that much even after failing it.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

HIJK posted:

BOTL is like a mild toothache. He's never extremely egregious but it's just constant and unending irritation. That poo poo somehow found his way into almost every thread I have bookmarked. I guess we can show just how internet tough we are by enduring it but... why?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

HIJK posted:

He also cyberstalked a disabled goon and accused me of being a child molester.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

counterfeitsaint posted:

BOTL is like a mild toothache. He's never extremely egregious but it's just constant and unending irritation. That poo poo somehow found his way into almost every thread I have bookmarked. I guess we can show just how internet tough we are by enduring it but... why?

yeah, that’s why he was kicked, so the toothache is gone :shrug:

DoctorWhat posted:

He also cyberstalked a disabled goon and accused me of being a child molester.

which goon was he going after?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I dunno about you but when a mouth sore goes away I celebrate. Usually get something spicy that I couldn't have while I had it. Im sorry im apparently not "tough" for celebrating a kanker sore is gone.

I guess you could say ive gained newfound appreciation for how we get rid of assholes on these dead gay forums. :toot: