Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

THIS IS THE HORROR POLICE :siren: THERE IS A THREAD FOR US

*BREAK DANCES*

SHOOT HIM AGAIN

...HIS SOUL IS STILL DANCING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXNfHb9b6Y0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
About to watch Us. Thought Get Out was good as a film but laughably over rated as a social commentary. Cant wait to see what all these spoilered posts are loving saying! I'm wont to give a hot take or two so I really don't know how to feel.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just finished sitting through Diableros on Netflix. It's incredibly good showing what things would be like if demons were a tangible thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjFLxAB4vpA

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Whoa, late to the party but The First Purge rules.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Us. had some nice set pieces and
its nice seeing Tim heidecker on the big screen but yeah. the plot got stupid as soon as the rabbits showed up. could have been 3 good movies but instead it was over explained and just dumb in all the wrong places. disappointing and nonsensical. Bummer

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Also, as a thank you for the warm reception to a piece I drunkenly drew in 2013, I've reached out for a response from the World's Deadest Detective:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fart City posted:

Also, as a thank you for the warm reception to a piece I drunkenly drew in 2013, I've reached out for a response from the World's Deadest Detective:

And now the pulp is complete

I love this and I love you

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Burkion posted:

And now the pulp is complete

I love this and I love you

:3:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
does Climax count as a horror movie? because I just watched it and holy moly :stare:

It definitely gets horrific at least. I loved it but I can see it being pretty divisive.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sitting through the Critters series on Shudder. First off, really not happy with how long the episodes are. They're like 10 min long so it comes across like they did the work for a couple episodes and decided to chop them up to make it feel like a season.

As for the rest, when Veronica is all 'they're back again' when she sees the Crites, I was expecting it to be some sort of callback to one of the earlier films. The route they went really comes across dated and out of touch with modern sensibilities of Veronica's so sex hungry she slept with a Crite. It's like they came up with the idea of a human/Crite hybrid in the pitch but didn't think of what's a decent reason to how to make it happen. Overall, series does lean more towards the sequels of the franchise with being humor heavy, so if one's expecting something more in tone to the first film, they're going to be disappointed. Effects go from pretty good to 'I can't believe this made it through to editing'.

All in all, okay idea but some definite dropping the ball a few times on execution.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

gey muckle mowser posted:

does Climax count as a horror movie? because I just watched it and holy moly :stare:

It definitely gets horrific at least. I loved it but I can see it being pretty divisive.
I've seen it twice and I'd certainly consider it horror, yeah.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

Sitting through the Critters series on Shudder. First off, really not happy with how long the episodes are. They're like 10 min long so it comes across like they did the work for a couple episodes and decided to chop them up to make it feel like a season.
I don't dislike the "short-form series" concept but it feels very odd for a subscription service loaded with full-length movies and most notably even longer versions hosted by Joe Bob. My biggest complaint is that the Roku app doesn't immediately jump to the next episode when the credits roll. Just cut a 90 minute movie. This isn't high art or something really bending the format. I think it's a novel idea for youtube and it's weird they don't give away the full episode 1 of Critters or Deadwax as a teaser.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I don't dislike the "short-form series" concept but it feels very odd for a subscription service loaded with full-length movies and most notably even longer versions hosted by Joe Bob. My biggest complaint is that the Roku app doesn't immediately jump to the next episode when the credits roll. Just cut a 90 minute movie. This isn't high art or something really bending the format. I think it's a novel idea for youtube and it's weird they don't give away the full episode 1 of Critters or Deadwax as a teaser.

I'm watching it from thier website and it doesn't autostart the next episode either. The length just bothered me because I was expecting something around 30 min or so. If it was something Youtube, 10 min is fine but I just was expecting something more meaty.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

does anyone know what happened to Shudder's plans to launch in Aus? last i heard was a launch date of 2018, and radio silence since then. i hope it is still happenin

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

alf_pogs posted:

does anyone know what happened to Shudder's plans to launch in Aus? last i heard was a launch date of 2018, and radio silence since then. i hope it is still happenin
https://twitter.com/craigengler/status/1092167842483580928
Shudder GM

They are pretty good about "Soon!" announcements when it comes to movie/show release dates but this could fall into the abyss like the PS4 app.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Important question from my friend:

https://twitter.com/abbylark/status/1109394156764479488

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Haha no

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It depends, it gave my friend a panic attack so to each their own

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

https://twitter.com/craigengler/status/1092167842483580928
Shudder GM

They are pretty good about "Soon!" announcements when it comes to movie/show release dates but this could fall into the abyss like the PS4 app.

I feel like a big dumb dumb about shudder because I bought the year subscription when it was on sale without checking what devices it actually supports.

I can only watch it on my PC and oooh boy this thing is not meant for watching anything on.

Son of a bitch.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Am I correct in assuming that this is the general rule for horror movies in theaters: It's going to be loud because people are going to be screaming and laughing, but it's still lovely to talk over the movie?

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 23, 2019

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Timeless Appeal posted:

Am I correct in assuming that this is the general rule for horror movies in horror movies: It's going to be loud because people are going to be screaming and laughing, but it's still lovely to talk over the movie?

Absolutely. Get Out was one of my favorite experiences because people got rowdy and really into it, cheering and shouting and stuff. Halloween H40 was wretched because I was stuck in front of some tweens who were physically incapable of shutting up.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
After Final Destination chat the other day, I rewatched the whole series and here are my hot takes:

My new ranking is 5 > 2 > 1 > 3 > 4 (I previously ranked 5 third between 1 and 3). 1, 2, and 5 are all pretty close though.

I liked 5 the best for two reasons - first, it's the only sequel that adds an interesting twist to the formula. The idea that you personally killing someone else makes you safe adds a new dynamic to the film that the other sequels, especially 3 and 4, were missing. Second, I think it's a better made film overall. The acting is better, the characters are more interesting, it has a better sense of humor, and apart from a few moments of CGI gore, it looks better than the rest. Maybe that's not totally fair, because the earlier ones look kind of dated, but that's still how it is. Also the gymnastics scene is maybe the best in the whole series.

4 was a bit better than I remember, but it's still the weakest one by a fair margin. There were way too many characters, and they were dull and uninteresting and served no purpose other than to get killed. The plot is virtually non-existent and serves only to move things along as quickly as possible between deaths. The whole "we broke the chain, we're safe now! oh gently caress nevermind" thing happens like three times, and it's dumb every time. The death/accident sequences are okay, but marred by some really dumb 3D effects.

Anyway it's a really fun series and they are all worth watching except 4 in my opinion.

Other rankings because why not:
Best opening disaster sequence: 2 > 5 > 3 > 1 > 4

Best death scenes:
Dentist's office/plane of glass in 2
Gymnastics routine in 5
The teacher in 1 with the exploding monitor, fire, and knives
Combo of Kat and Rory in 2 (impaled in the ambulance and cut into thirds with barbed fence wire)

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I don’t know if it’s my favorite but the house fire/ladder impalement in 2 is a great slow burn (pun intended)

I also liked the twist of the survivors in 2 being linked by having their lives saved by the deaths of the characters in the first one. That’s my problem with 3 and 4, they’re both completely unrelated to the ‘main’ story./

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What’s a good sleazy 80s horror? I’m thinking like CHUD or maybe Invisible Maniac? Castle Freak and Head of the Family are on Tubi I think so I have options.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

What’s a good sleazy 80s horror? I’m thinking like CHUD or maybe Invisible Maniac? Castle Freak and Head of the Family are on Tubi I think so I have options.

Anything Henlotter.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Coffee And Pie posted:

I don’t know if it’s my favorite but the house fire/ladder impalement in 2 is a great slow burn (pun intended)

I also liked the twist of the survivors in 2 being linked by having their lives saved by the deaths of the characters in the first one. That’s my problem with 3 and 4, they’re both completely unrelated to the ‘main’ story./

Yeah agreed on both

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I need some good gory fun after the lovely slog that was Brawl in Cell Block 99. What a massive sloppy turd.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

New York Ripper is the sleaziest* film known to man.

*may cross line from sleaze into straight up misogny

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I need some good gory fun after the lovely slog that was Brawl in Cell Block 99. What a massive sloppy turd.

Castle Freak, then.

C.H.U.D. is good, but it’s more of a slow burn satire and not really outrageous or gory.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Coffee And Pie posted:

maybe give From Beyond a go if you can. pretty great fun and gore and Barb gets into a pretty outrageously kinky outfit at one point

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

alf_pogs posted:

maybe give From Beyond a go if you can. pretty great fun and gore and Barb gets into a pretty outrageously kinky outfit at one point

Well that looks good as hell

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

WHERE THE gently caress IS BASEBF AT

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

WHERE THE gently caress IS BASEBF AT

Yeah doesn’t he just spend all of his time like Michael Keaton at the beginning of Batman Returns, sitting in a darkened study, waiting for the From Beyond signal to grace the clouds

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fart City posted:

Whoa, late to the party but The First Purge rules.

You're drat fuckin right it does.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The ‘Burbs was immensely 80s. I’m guessing Shudder got it as a package deal with the two Gremlins? I’ve had far better uses of 101 minutes of my time. The highlight was Dick Miller and Robert Picardo as the two garbage men.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

david_a posted:

The ‘Burbs was immensely 80s. I’m guessing Shudder got it as a package deal with the two Gremlins? I’ve had far better uses of 101 minutes of my time. The highlight was Dick Miller and Robert Picardo as the two garbage men.

Uh look at this incredibly wrong opinion. The Burbs rules.

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

Coffee And Pie posted:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Got a ticket to see Us again at the Dolby theater tomorrow :cool:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Franchescanado posted:

Castle Freak, then.

C.H.U.D. is good, but it’s more of a slow burn satire and not really outrageous or gory.

Man Castle Freak is very good but I wouldn't describe it as "fun".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Yeah doesn’t he just spend all of his time like Michael Keaton at the beginning of Batman Returns, sitting in a darkened study, waiting for the From Beyond signal to grace the clouds

I only watch for the Horror Express signal these days.