Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

drgitlin posted:

Agreed. as I wrote in the opening of my review, it’s not the garbagemobile this thread wishes it was.
yeah, it's actually kinda difficult to get garbage to spontaneously combust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

lancemantis posted:

i don't know as a person that drove manual transmissions for years i don't think any type of transmission can make anything really all that much more fun that wasn't meant to be in the first place

manual transmissions should be illegal on new cars tbh.

Just put in a dummy reaction mode with some game controller rumble motors and speakers in the car that activate when someone wants to shift

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

drgitlin posted:

Agreed. as I wrote in the opening of my review, it’s not the garbagemobile this thread wishes it was.

did you have a chance to take it for a spin in the rain/snow?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

infernal machines posted:

did you have a chance to take it for a spin in the rain/snow?

It did rain a bit, the car was fine. Even the auto wipers worked. I’m dying to try one on a track at some point because I think there’s actually a really good driver’s car in there. But the one I had was on winter tires and I’m also not going try and find a car’s limit on the public road for obvious reasons, so that’s just supposition.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i saw the bit about winter tires, but i didn't see any mention of rain or snow so i was curious.

no drainage issues in your test car then?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
No, but we didn’t have any truly bad weather during the time with the car.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

here's musk's attorney's response to the SEC response:

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.501755/gov.uscourts.nysd.501755.33.0_2.pdf

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

fishmech posted:

manual transmissions should be illegal on new cars tbh.

Im glad your parents are dead

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Combat Theory posted:

:yikes:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Theory posted:

they aint, but pretty weird for a german to be saying that about a jew jus sayin

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

thx pony good poo poo. when's the hearing/ruling?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Combat Theory posted:

:allbuttons:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

fishmech posted:

they aint, but pretty weird for a german to be saying that about a jew jus sayin

You deal out pointless and controversial statements but can't take any obvious exaggerated bullshit back without falling to racism. That's even weaker than the hot take you opened with.

You wanna bring forth a technical argument instead of constantly trying to piss of OPs then please do, otherwise your sentence and mine are the same level of thread contribution.

On a serious note I wish you and every other poster here a happy, peaceful long life.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 23, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Theory posted:

You deal out pointless and controversial statements but can't take any obvious exaggerated bullshit back without falling to racism. That's even weaker than the hot take you opened with.

You wanna bring forth a technical argument instead of constantly trying to piss of OPs then please do, otherwise your sentence and mine are the same level of thread contribution.

On a serious note I wish you and every other poster here a happy, peaceful long life.

lol ops have no rights

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Combat Theory posted:

but if you’re not here to piss people off, then what are you doing on the internet??

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

My Linux Rig posted:

but if you’re not here to piss people off, then what are you doing on the internet??

I thought this was a drive through

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

I can't speak for them, but I'm here to chew bubblegum and masturbate to weird stuff.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

The SEC’s Reply makes clear that its effort to hold Musk in contempt relies on a radical reinterpretation of the Order that would impose sweeping restrictions to which Musk never consented. For example, the SEC asserts that tweets that touch upon broad subjects identified for illustrative purposes in the Policy are necessarily material. The SEC also asserts that any tweet which contains “substantive information about Tesla and its business” (regardless of how immaterial the information may be as a matter of law) requires pre-approval. Reply at 10. And the SEC shows, through its selection of ten tweets, that no matter how innocuous, how well known, or how removed from the subjects mentioned in the Policy, because the tweet concerns Tesla,1 the SEC believes Musk must have them pre-approved.

:lol: he’s so hosed

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

hobbesmaster posted:

:lol: he’s so hosed

evilweasel can probably speak better to the phenomenon but I've always noticed that the angry tone of a legal document is inversely proportional to how strong the arguments are.

five pages of "unfounded" and "clearly erroneous" scattered with citations is nowhere near as terrifying as a single page which starts "Applicant respectfully notes paragraph 0042 of the reference document, which states..."

that sur reply is a very angry document.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

You buy Audis lol

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

🤐 imo

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

no thanks, I’m not sure I’d feel safe in a car that routinely either automatically drives into trucks or spontaneously combusts

I won’t go near those death traps and I. avoid them as if they are an old Dell, note 7 or new HP laptop when they’re not moving.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

evilweasel can probably speak better to the phenomenon but I've always noticed that the angry tone of a legal document is inversely proportional to how strong the arguments are.

five pages of "unfounded" and "clearly erroneous" scattered with citations is nowhere near as terrifying as a single page which starts "Applicant respectfully notes paragraph 0042 of the reference document, which states..."

evilweasel got perma'd

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

evilweasel got perma'd

no i think they're still posting, even in this very thread!

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shifty Pony posted:

well sure, I imagine if you’re confident in your argument then you’ll probably be pretty calm

though wasn’t the sec response fairly angry too?

My Linux Rig fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 23, 2019

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

fishmech posted:

:rolleye:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shifty Pony posted:

i like the mic dicta hypothesis that the bigger rear end in a top hat tends to lose

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i like the mic dicta hypothesis that the bigger rear end in a top hat tends to lose

I enjoyed mic dicta. I'm glad I'm not nearly online enough to know what brought it down,

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

i wanted to actually drive the car before forming an opinion about it, yes, unlike the posters itt who openly brag about having never driven one and also not owning a car or having a license at all

teslas are pretty cheap to rent on turo so i invite each of you to do that and post your own polemic about it i guess?

drgitlin posted:

lol at this "you gotta test drive to have a valid opinion" angle you bazingas are pushing now. like, do you know that not everyone is a simpleton easily impressed by experiencing ev torque for the first time?

our judgement is based more on things like this: a colleague of mine had a model 3 ~delivery experience~ a few months ago. after the next rainstorm (it's been a wet winter in norcal) i checked their ride out in the parking lot. predictably, one of the two taillamp assemblies was sopping wet on the inside, because tesla doesn't know how to reliably seal things

and more importantly there's all horrendous safety issues, which (unlike seals) aren't a mere matter of poor execution but rather a complete failure of design philosophy. maybe the real engineers at tesla would have made a good product without ol' musky calling the shots, but with him they were doomed. elon: "it is forbidden to use mechanical linkages between door handles and door latches"

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BobHoward posted:

lol at this "you gotta test drive to have a valid opinion" angle you bazingas are pushing now. like, do you know that not everyone is a simpleton easily impressed by experiencing ev torque for the first time?
drgitlin is a professional car reviewer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey now, the front doors on the model 3 have a mechanical linkage for the interior emergency handles. they'll just probably break the window if you use them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shifty Pony posted:

i think a lot of litigation docs begin with the angry tone and good editing removes it. here my guess, since these are good lawyers, is that they know what their client wants and this is what he wants.

also yeah the law is not on their side so there’s no citations just lots of It Is So

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shifty Pony posted:

i can say that the more they lean on bluster and fist pounding the more its an act and the moment theres scrutiny it all turning into bargaining. its kinda sad and just a waste of everyones time feeding ego

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yup

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

drgitlin is a professional car reviewer

wait, they pay him?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

drgitlin posted:

It did rain a bit, the car was fine. Even the auto wipers worked. I’m dying to try one on a track at some point because I think there’s actually a really good driver’s car in there. But the one I had was on winter tires and I’m also not going try and find a car’s limit on the public road for obvious reasons, so that’s just supposition.

It's supposed to be awful on tracks, because it limits your ability to do the fancy zooms to preserve battery

There was an article earlier some time about how it did worse than like a Tahoe or something

http://www.thedrive.com/news/5207/this-video-reminds-us-that-the-tesla-model-s-is-an-awful-track-car

This isn't the article, but the S could barely finish a lap a few years ago. Tech is probably better, but also the model 3 is a worse car

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 23, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

that was an older model s, iirc and it tied with the heaviest car they had tested, the jeep grand cherokee

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

infernal machines posted:

that was an older model s, iirc and it tied with the heaviest car they had tested, the jeep grand cherokee

Yeah, the question is how much the tech has improved VS. the fact that the model 3 isn't as good as the model S

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it does better, because it's possible to disable the thing that keeps you from nuking the battery

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Doesn't that mean of you try it, you're really messing the car up? Idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:shrug: it'll probably shithouse the battery given enough time, so your range would decrease, i don't know that anyone has done significant testing to find out how much. presumably the major thermal throttling is still in place though so you won't be able to push it until they catch fire, except when they do that on their own