Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

THE loving MOON posted:

I was a little shocked at how bad habitats were in my last couple of games. I remember them being good enough to almost justify abandoning planets for altogether like a year ago, and now I just kind of don't want to take voidborne at all and try to get to megastructures some other way. I'd like to see another tier of habitats between the current ones and ringworlds. Like a culture orbital I guess. Also I'd like to see ringworlds expandable to 8 segments cuz you know... they're loving mindbendingly gigantic. Like maybe you can build a ringworld with galactic wonders, but you can't build past 4 segments without master builders.

Eccumenopoli though... getting Fen Habanis early, and also being able to spam hive worlds is a powerful combo

Ringworlds are for normal empires that need to more raw resources to fuel eucons. Habs are for gestalts who need building slots to convert raw resources into stuff.

First league chain is stupidly strong. The other precursors are pretty terrible compared to it, they'd need to give you megastructures that you could repair right away (just needing the resources) to be comparable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

OwlFancier posted:

Much like stellaris, then.

No, not even close. Singleplayer Stellaris still has credible threats. Singleplayer Dominions you might as well be playing Solitaire. The AI barely even exists. It doesn't use half of the systems in the game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ulmont posted:

I really love gateways but yeah they are too late.

Way too late. The transition to gateways makes such a profound effect it's a huge shame they come so late.

Gateway activation should come slightly earlier, and there should be something else that comes earlier, like wormhole generators on starbases or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jabarto posted:

I feel like there are two correlated arguments going on here, one about ecumenopolises specifically and one about Paradox putting too many gates on fun stuff. I do agree with the latter, it's been an issue for a long time (hello EU4 client states!), but that's not the issue that ecumenopolises have. The problem with those is that they completely obviate huge chunks of the game.

Building slots are the most limited and precious resource in the game, and you need to think carefully about what you use them for...until you get an ecumenopolis and all the high value jobs you could for free.
Rare resources are something you need to plan around, either trading or synthesizing them to meet your upkeep needs...until you get an ecumenopolis and all the high value jobs you could want for free.
Planetary development is a balancing act between exploiting raw resources, planetary modifiers, and manufacturing needs...until you get an ecumenopolis or three and every other planet in the galaxy is just a food/mining outpost.
Your third ascension perk should be something you have to actually think about and weigh the benefits of, but it isn't, because Arcology Project exists.
Habitats should be good, but they aren't, because Arcology Project exists.

Ecumenopolises don't feel "good" or "fun", they feel like a cheat code. Nothing in a game should have that kind of power and influence over the mechanics.
It's this. I've quit three games now because I feel like I'm cheating when I get Ecumenopolis. They're just too good.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

Don’t....don’t you go there bro.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flippantly I am suggesting that what you presently have is a game that puts a lot of effort into being balanced but isn't, and subsequently avoids doing anything radically different between different empire builds, while also being badly handled by the AI.

If it achieved any of the three options of having good AI, broken but interesting systems, or a wide variety of poorly balanced ones, that would be an improvement.

You can sort of mod at least two of those in but the stock game's design direction is very limited.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 23, 2019

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
I've tried getting back into this game since the 2.2 changes and I need advice. Do you guys stick to the administrative limit? How far should I go over the limit? The only penalty I'm worried about is the research penalty, since I've found that research is much harder for me to get going with these new changes (it always seems like I need to be using building slots for alloy refineries/consumer goods/amenity factories.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

BigRoman posted:

I've tried getting back into this game since the 2.2 changes and I need advice. Do you guys stick to the administrative limit? How far should I go over the limit? The only penalty I'm worried about is the research penalty, since I've found that research is much harder for me to get going with these new changes (it always seems like I need to be using building slots for alloy refineries/consumer goods/amenity factories.

My limit in my current game is 150 or so.

Im at 1200 in use.

Go crazy.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

OwlFancier posted:

It's not even in the same state, much less the same ballpark. Dominions is stupidly more complex / has an incredibly deeper end game than Stellaris.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BigRoman posted:

When it comes to available planets and star systems, I don't care about going over the limit

But I do try to pick up administrative efficiency bonuses wherever I can

And when it comes to conquest I try to do a mix of outright taking planets + vassalization, since vassals don't count toward your administrative capacity. So that I'm able to unlock traditions faster in the early-mid game, when that matters, but later in the game I can just integrate those dudes and it's all good

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BigRoman posted:

Go wild (if, maybe, not so wild that you tank your poo poo). Think of admin limit as a tax deduction to help you get started.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Bringing up Dominions and Stellaris is making me think of some of Dominion's crazy-rear end awesome background lore, and the possibility of further increasing the differences between civics to absurd degrees.

Also, the different units that you'd get with all the different portraits. In Illwinter's Conquest of Elysium 4, there's pretty much hobbits that have some decent crossbows and magic access in the form of a necromancer subclass. Slow, agrarian, and potentially terrifying? Sounds like the Snalien...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Basically, there's an empire-size-based tax on things like research and tradition costs, and your "admin cap" is a deduction on that tax.

If you're not at or over your admin cap, you're not making the most of that deduction.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

BigRoman posted:

Splicer posted:

Ignore the admin cap, it's a progressive tax system not a metric.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Empire sprawl is just the old penalties for expansion rolled into one thing and stuck where you can easily see it. Admin cap is basically a bonus that you didn't used to get at all. In terms of benefits, increasing admin cap (assuming that you're at least that much over your current cap) tends to be on par or better than other increases for research/unity, but effects both of those. You also get a small economic boost through lesser leader/campaign costs (not huge but adds up).

Just like in the past, penalties to being big are there to even the playing field a bit, but being bigger is still better than being smaller. There is some space to explore "tall" builds that aim to not go drastically over cap (through aggressively chasing cap sources and also stuff like federations/vassals).

When I say tall I sort of envision an area of around 6 jumps from your homeworld (so eventually all trade is collectable by your homeworld), which is often something around 20-30 systems (every 10 is another starbase). Then you'll need to leverage federations/vassals/ideology wars in order to grow your overall power in ways outside of straight conquest. Habs are fairly good because you'll probably have spare influence and can afford to spend to increase the value of your space.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I decided to nut up and play at Grand Admiral because Admiral wasn't providing any challenge. My federation was successfully prosecuting wars to ideologically expand, and we'd just taken a chunk out of the last of the competition, leaving a hive mind and a 2nd smaller but non-hostile federation left.

Then the War in Heaven event triggered (FINALLY!). Spiritualist vs Materialist. Despite losing one of my federation members right off the bat to the spiritualists, I made the mistake of trying to go for the NAL on my first try with this end-game crisis. This was a bad choice, as right now I'm getting pincered on two fronts by both sides, and I really wasn't ready for this, technologically or logistically speaking.

This game is kinda RIP now, unless I can get lucky with some truce timers. I wish i could cry uncle and switch over to the Materialist side but that doesn't seem possible.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Xerxes17 posted:

I decided to nut up and play at Grand Admiral because Admiral wasn't providing any challenge. My federation was successfully prosecuting wars to ideologically expand, and we'd just taken a chunk out of the last of the competition, leaving a hive mind and a 2nd smaller but non-hostile federation left.

Then the War in Heaven event triggered (FINALLY!). Spiritualist vs Materialist. Despite losing one of my federation members right off the bat to the spiritualists, I made the mistake of trying to go for the NAL on my first try with this end-game crisis. This was a bad choice, as right now I'm getting pincered on two fronts by both sides, and I really wasn't ready for this, technologically or logistically speaking.

This game is kinda RIP now, unless I can get lucky with some truce timers. I wish i could cry uncle and switch over to the Materialist side but that doesn't seem possible.
The War In Heaven is not an End Game Crisis.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Lum_ posted:

There's a bug right now where once you form the federation you lose your trade routes which is probably the cause (normally the federation just explodes once formed and becomes unstoppable)

https://www.reddit.com/r/STNewHorizons/comments/awz9a2/guide_to_fixing_federation_trade_routes_bug_using/

why the hell does the federation even have an economy

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jabarto posted:

Yeah everyone says this whenever nerfs are discussed but it's a terrible idea if you actually think about it for a second.

Games, especially ones as complex as Stellaris, have a TON of moving parts. Adjusting any one of them can have significant and unforseen consequences for the others. So when you have a single, very obvious outlier as in this case, it's better to go after that than potentially ruin the balance even further by adjusting literally the entire rest of the game around it.

I know no one likes nerfs but the alternative is having the game devolve into a sprawling, unbalanced mess very quickly.
A big problem with this argument is. at present, Stellaris's moving parts are all terribly integrated. There's a bunch of individual systems that are individually good or great but don't play nice at all with each other right now. I'd love to see a QoL update that doesn't add anything but just looks at what's already there and properly maps out when it should come online, what it could interact with, how that could go wrong etc.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Xerxes17 posted:

This is how my last game ended, only I was a Hive Mind keeping a local federation uneasily tolerant of my people eating ways while I preyed on the other locals. I thought I could go League of Unaligned Powers and gun up quickly enough when the War in Heaven triggered, but no. Normally I'd side with one or the other because you have to be insanely strong to justify going up against both, but they were close enough together that I thought they'd spend enough time beating on each other so I could research their wrecks and strike back in a little while. They both ended up crisscrossing my territory through gates and wormholes and knocked me out really quickly. I wish you could deactivate gateways once you have the tech to activate them.

And yeah, the War in Heaven isn't a crisis. In fact, a crisis can trigger while it's going on. :shepface:

edit: At least I think it still can. The War in Heaven works a lot more smoothly than it used to, and I'm not sure if that's changed

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Ecumenopolises definitely need to be limited in some way. Preferably in a way that favors taller empires. I think they've kind of fundamentally missed the mark on everything else that's special. Hive and Machine Worlds are basically Gaia-equivalents that you can't find naturally. Fine, whatever. Habs are too gimped and expensive to make an impact early on and, oh yeah, ecumenopolises exist and become available at basically the same time. And megastructures? They may as well not exist for all the impact they have. Building one rarely serves any purpose except as a victory lap, and only the ring world really feels anything like special.

THE loving MOON posted:

I was a little shocked at how bad habitats were in my last couple of games. I remember them being good enough to almost justify abandoning planets for altogether like a year ago, and now I just kind of don't want to take voidborne at all and try to get to megastructures some other way. I'd like to see another tier of habitats between the current ones and ringworlds. Like a culture orbital I guess. Also I'd like to see ringworlds expandable to 8 segments cuz you know... they're loving mindbendingly gigantic. Like maybe you can build a ringworld with galactic wonders, but you can't build past 4 segments without master builders.

Eccumenopoli though... getting Fen Habanis early, and also being able to spam hive worlds is a powerful combo

ulmont posted:

I really love gateways but yeah they are too late.

PittTheElder posted:

Way too late. The transition to gateways makes such a profound effect it's a huge shame they come so late.

Gateway activation should come slightly earlier, and there should be something else that comes earlier, like wormhole generators on starbases or something.

OwlFancier posted:

Flippantly I am suggesting that what you presently have is a game that puts a lot of effort into being balanced but isn't, and subsequently avoids doing anything radically different between different empire builds, while also being badly handled by the AI.

If it achieved any of the three options of having good AI, broken but interesting systems, or a wide variety of poorly balanced ones, that would be an improvement.

You can sort of mod at least two of those in but the stock game's design direction is very limited.
A thing Wiz said ages ago was that gateways and wormholes are about opening up a "second wave" of exploration. I'd love to see this expanded so that megastructures, habitats, and the mineral processing type techs were all components of a structured game feature where previously junk or mid tier systems become prime real estate as different waves of tech and ascensions come online. Black holes are kind of set up like this at the moment; at the very beginning of the game they don't provide a huge amount, but a t3 tech turns them into great starbase locations and if you take megastructures they're a potentially popless production of 1000 minerals. But this is a vestigial nubbin of what should be a major game feature; there's only five system-locked buildings in the game (Black Hole Observatory, Nebula Refinery, Orbital Black Site, and the two Curator buildings), habitats and most megastructures don't care where you build them, and there doesn't seem to be a unified outline for when and where these waves should be coming online. I'd love to have these bones arranged into a proper skeleton and fleshed out into a real thing.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 23, 2019

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

This is how my last game ended, only I was a Hive Mind keeping a local federation uneasily tolerant of my people eating ways while I preyed on the other locals. I thought I could go League of Unaligned Powers and gun up quickly enough when the War in Heaven triggered, but no. Normally I'd side with one or the other because you have to be insanely strong to justify going up against both, but they were close enough together that I thought they'd spend enough time beating on each other so I could research their wrecks and strike back in a little while. They both ended up crisscrossing my territory through gates and wormholes and knocked me out really quickly. I wish you could deactivate gateways once you have the tech to activate them.

And yeah, the War in Heaven isn't a crisis. In fact, a crisis can trigger while it's going on. :shepface:

edit: At least I think it still can. The War in Heaven works a lot more smoothly than it used to, and I'm not sure if that's changed

At least in 2.2.4 it could. Though the war was "technically" over in the sense that the materialists (my side) had functionally neutered the spiritualists and, since I had asserted my independence, I was the biggest kid on the block. So when the Zerg arrived in the rear of my empire, I locked them in with a choke point and killed them before the main fleet arrived.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Splicer posted:

A thing Wiz said ages ago was that gateways and wormholes are about opening up a "second wave" of exploration.

That may be true of wormholes, and possibly abandoned gateways, but it is completely irrelevant for empire-built gateways.

Empire-built gateways are just a way for wide empires to deal with exponential expansion problems. If there were techs to (a) massively speed up ship movement inside the empire boundaries and (b) extend trade collection range significantly, I'd probably never bother with gateways.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ulmont posted:

That may be true of wormholes, and possibly abandoned gateways, but it is completely irrelevant for empire-built gateways.
Yeah, it's mainly about L-Cluster gateways and abandoned gateways. But also the gateway network is all one network, so it also changes where your borders are since you're now "adjacent" to every system with a gateway.

e: I mean, you're not wrong, but it's kind of tangential to what I was getting at.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 23, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Splicer posted:

A thing Wiz said ages ago was that gateways and wormholes are about opening up a "second wave" of exploration. I'd love to see this expanded so that megastructures, habitats, and the mineral processing type techs were all components of a structured game feature where previously junk or mid tier systems become prime real estate as different waves of tech and ascensions come online. Black holes are kind of set up like this at the moment; at the very beginning of the game they don't provide a huge amount, but a t3 tech turns them into great starbase locations and if you take megastructures they're a potentially popless production of 1000 minerals. But this is a vestigial nubbin of what should be a major game feature; there's only five system-locked buildings in the game (Black Hole Observatory, Nebula Refinery, Orbital Black Site, and the two Curator buildings), habitats and most megastructures don't care where you build them, and there doesn't seem to be a unified outline for when and where these waves should be coming online. I'd love to have these bones arranged into a proper skeleton and fleshed out into a real thing.
I think they really need to get around to allowing you to scan everything with Science ships and second and possibly third time as technology goes up. Have it be a tech that branches off from the improved sensor techs. It unlocks letting you scan a system again, looking for new and/or harder to find anomalies.

It could really open up the early midgame and late midgame if they added two techs to let you scan again. Then you could scan a gas giant and find out that it is made of Exotic Gases and now you have an Exotic Gas Fountain that you can build several layers of extraction bases on it to gradually increase your Exotic Gas output. This makes a previously unremarkable system all of a sudden super valuable, allowing for more emergent gameplay. Now do this for each of the rares and find other interesting things to do and bam now there is more exciting stuff going on in the midgame as people discover this stuff.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 23, 2019

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Preston Waters posted:

why the hell does the federation even have an economy

Abolishing currency doesn't mean you don't have an economy.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
What if Paradox swapped the tech/perk prerequisites of megastructures and ecumenopolis?
It would solve two problems at once — that megastructures come too late and that city worlds are too strong for their timing. Considering the latest patch notes moved ascension paths/gaia worlds earlier I don’t think its out of the question.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

luxury handset posted:

determined exterminators hate organics, not all xenos. i was doing a gimmick as a race of isolationist rogue science bots but one of my neighbors was skynet and so i changed plans and we purged the galaxy together. afaik you can't purge other robots so it would be nice to have that option

Yeah. Either Machine Integration should let me add trait points, or let me purge them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

scaterry posted:

What if Paradox swapped the tech/perk prerequisites of megastructures and ecumenopolis?
It would solve two problems at once — that megastructures come too late and that city worlds are too strong for their timing. Considering the latest patch notes moved ascension paths/gaia worlds earlier I don’t think its out of the question.
This wouldnt fix the fact that an Ecumenopolis's ability to build the specialized districts is super ridiculous compared to needing to mine Minerals => build Consumer Goods => build and staff research labs. Now you just build a district and blammo, there is a ton of science for way less investment. It needs to be adjusted.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

scaterry posted:

The cool thing about Ecumenopoli is that they actually show up in time to be impactful. Megastructures only show up once the game is basically over anyway.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
I might have made some mistakes along the way...

I'm rogue servitors, and crushed both my neighbours in defensive wars, taking no systems on account of my existing problems.
Nothing adds up anymore, and I have no idea how to fix this. Probably should have neutered my lovely biologicals a long time ago.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Nosfereefer posted:

I might have made some mistakes along the way...

I'm rogue servitors, and crushed both my neighbours in defensive wars, taking no systems on account of my existing problems.
Nothing adds up anymore, and I have no idea how to fix this. Probably should have neutered my lovely biologicals a long time ago.

I've got to see the planet overview of your home world - this looks very rough. Are you building districts?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This wouldnt fix the fact that an Ecumenopolis's ability to build the specialized districts is super ridiculous compared to needing to mine Minerals => build Consumer Goods => build and staff research labs. Now you just build a district and blammo, there is a ton of science for way less investment. It needs to be adjusted.
Ecumenopolises don't have a research district (which is kind of weird now I think of it). They have housing arcologies and Foundry/Industrial/Leisure arcologies, all of which produce jobs that consume resources as normal. What makes Arcologies great is that you can get between 100 and 250 foundry jobs from one planet before even touching the building slots. That's equivalent to 50 to 125 building slots full of unupgraded alloy foundries or 10 to 25 fully upgraded ones (but without the rare mineral costs). It's a massive reduction in pop gating for your space construction.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 23, 2019

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Dreissi posted:

I've got to see the planet overview of your home world - this looks very rough. Are you building districts?

I've overextended my resources, and I had no real idea how to manage my bios as well as running a functional empire. I quit my last game because I was already overwhelming compared to everyone within 50 years as standard Machine Empire, and I just pretty much hosed everything up in this run :smugissar:

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Maybe if I dump like half of my biotrophies on some moon and make them a vassal?

e:
It worked!

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 23, 2019

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Stranding billions of sentient organics that have never experienced want or need on some desert planet does in no way break the prime directive. If anything, we keep that place as an example of the folly of biological sovereignty.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How and when did the dessanu fall in dev clash?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ulmont posted:

Empire-built gateways are just a way for wide empires to deal with exponential expansion problems. If there were techs to (a) massively speed up ship movement inside the empire boundaries and (b) extend trade collection range significantly, I'd probably never bother with gateways.

I'm not even sure that abandoned gateways can be said to contribute to exploration; you need to own or have open borders with both ends to travel through them, so you're gaining a fast travel option to someplace that you've already been rather than a fast travel option to someplace new.

Abandoned gateways do create an incentive for expansion and do build tension, though. They're conflict-brewers rather than exploration-enablers. And trade routes become a bit easier, then much easier once you've able to build your own gateways.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
I think only allowing one ecu power civ is a great idea. Maybe allow you to make a second when you research all the admin cap before repeatables. Also the second scanning idea would be awesome. Allow it to find strategic resources, alloy and trade value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Zig-Zag posted:

I think only allowing one ecu power civ is a great idea. Maybe allow you to make a second when you research all the admin cap before repeatables. Also the second scanning idea would be awesome. Allow it to find strategic resources, alloy and trade value.

My personal idea would be to reduce the habitability (instead of 100% for all species, make it 50% for all or so) and remove the pop growth rate bonus (probably give it to gaia worlds/maybe hive worlds also, so you have some reason to make gaias instead of ecus). That way they'd keep their main role (massive amounts of alloy/consumer good/unity production) but you'd at least have to pay more food and consumer goods to support one, and removing the pop growth bonus would mean they're much more suited as a transformation for already over-populated planets (and make Fen Habbanis less ridiculous).

Plus it always seemed weird to me that the city world was apparently a better place for all races than gaia worlds are.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 23, 2019