Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

I've been trying a very basic WW BO1 list, bouncing around Diamond 4, still misplaying (settle is a thing, yes they have it if you don't recognize their list)

Seen people run some more adventorous stuff, Ajani, Pride of Conquerors, Tithe Taker, Baffling End.

Anyone have any opinions?

4 Benalish Marshal (DAR) 6
20 Plains (XLN) 261
4 Skymarcher Aspirant (RIX) 21
4 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
4 Legion's Landing (XLN) 22
4 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
4 History of Benalia (DAR) 21
4 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
2 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29
4 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
4 Snubhorn Sentry (RIX) 23
2 Dauntless Bodyguard (DAR) 14

edit: bonus points if someone can explain if I'm supposed to hold onto Bodyguard for a big target, or if I just jam it to use up mana in curve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

beedub posted:

I've been trying a very basic WW BO1 list, bouncing around Diamond 4, still misplaying (settle is a thing, yes they have it if you don't recognize their list)

Seen people run some more adventorous stuff, Ajani, Pride of Conquerors, Tithe Taker, Baffling End.

Anyone have any opinions?

4 Benalish Marshal (DAR) 6
20 Plains (XLN) 261
4 Skymarcher Aspirant (RIX) 21
4 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
4 Legion's Landing (XLN) 22
4 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
4 History of Benalia (DAR) 21
4 Adanto Vanguard (XLN) 1
2 Unbreakable Formation (RNA) 29
4 Hunted Witness (GRN) 15
4 Snubhorn Sentry (RIX) 23
2 Dauntless Bodyguard (DAR) 14

edit: bonus points if someone can explain if I'm supposed to hold onto Bodyguard for a big target, or if I just jam it to use up mana in curve?

Basically that's my list, save for the following changes (in bo1): -2 Witness, +2 Bodyguard. In bo1, I might take out 2 aspirants, as you'll be facing a lot more RDW. Depending on how much RDW you face on any given date, you might want to ditch a few one drops for 2-3 Baffling Ends (like a few snubhorn sentries).

If you care, for bo3, you're -8 plains +4 Glacial Fortress +4 Hallowed Fountain in the main deck, and then you have a sideboard of 3 Baffling End, 3 Tocatl Honor Guard, 4 negate, 2 Disdainful Stroke, 3 Ajani Adversary of Tyrants.

Bodyguard chat: you're an aggro deck, so basically you're jamming threats out in the first few turns to take control of the board. If (and only if), you've got the ability to use up your mana efficiently with the cards you have, would you consider saving bodyguard for like a t4 - Marshal + Bodyguard combo to protect the marshal (or like a t3 Honor Guard + bodyguard to protect it when playing with sideboards). Otherwise, play them out to pressure your opponent in the early stages of the game. They are a 2/1, that damage adds up.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 23, 2019

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

The other thing I struggle with playing the deck is to see when I messed up vs just drawing my cards in the wrong order and needing to scoop. All my marshals get bolted by RDW? Mono-u counters a couple of historys and an unbreakable formation? Control with back-to-back wrath?

It feels like sitting back and waiting for opponents to tap out isn't really an option as aggro? Is it wrong to just slam cards and hope they don't have it?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
If it's a choice between bodyguard and skymarcher turn 1 hold the bodyguard. If it's choice between bodyguard and a 1/1/nothing just get the damage going and drop the bodyguard, it's still a strictly better Savannah Lion even if cast on an empty board. It's a 2/1 that synergizes with History and can screw them out of the life if they try to crave or contempt it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have discovered the following about Thief of Sanity: it is far more overpowered than I had previously imagined, because people straight up concede when it sticks and does it thing, even when they were super obviously going to win. Grixis control isn't very good, but I win a ton just because I wait until I think the Thief can survive and cast him. It's gotten to the point where, when casting Bolas or Angrath would be the better choice, I cast Thief anyways, because if he can swing once, people rage concede immediately so often that it's the better choice.

I don't get it. When I'm up against Dimir colors and Thief fucks me up with my own deck, it just feels like Dimir doing what it does, it's fine. They gambled on being able to pull answers from my deck, and they rolled a six. Good for them. Most of the time, it doesn't do that, because being able to cast one random spell from your opponent's deck, even getting to pick from the best of three draws, isn't that good. This is a "it just feels bad" I've never understood.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Bicyclops posted:

I have discovered the following about Thief of Sanity: it is far more overpowered than I had previously imagined, because people straight up concede when it sticks and does it thing, even when they were super obviously going to win. Grixis control isn't very good, but I win a ton just because I wait until I think the Thief can survive and cast him. It's gotten to the point where, when casting Bolas or Angrath would be the better choice, I cast Thief anyways, because if he can swing once, people rage concede immediately so often that it's the better choice.

I don't get it. When I'm up against Dimir colors and Thief fucks me up with my own deck, it just feels like Dimir doing what it does, it's fine. They gambled on being able to pull answers from my deck, and they rolled a six. Good for them. Most of the time, it doesn't do that, because being able to cast one random spell from your opponent's deck, even getting to pick from the best of three draws, isn't that good. This is a "it just feels bad" I've never understood.

I mean the psychological element is a big deal, but I think all the times Thief has kicked my rear end I'm already on the back foot. If Thief sticks and I can't block it and I can't kill it for the first two rounds - because I'm getting screwed or flooded or whatever - that's not a situation that's about to get better any time soon. Everyone who flash-concedes is probably traumatised from a game like that.

But I agree, it's not like it's anywhere near the 'feels bad' level of something like Nexus of Fate.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bicyclops posted:

Yep. Something about that card just sends people through the roof. I think I posted about it months ago hold on let me check

edit:

Rex-Goliath posted:

I took a step back and asked myself why I was so afraid of this card and have been a bit more reserved when handling it. So far whatever cards it's managed to exile out of my library have proven to be useless to my opponent as I've only taken a few hits for two damage and that's it. I'm starting to think it's a really overrated card, on both sides of the table.

lol

it's a good card but man it's not *that* good

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've resolved to thief of sanity eating my deck because I didn't have an answer for it and while it wasn't killing me now, the odds of me being able to take back the lead in such a game are exceedingly low.

Better mentally to just move onto a fresh match then get your sanity stolen (ha)

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

It's a big difference in philosophy from paper events since your record for the day matters and even if you conceded right there you're not going to be able to jump immediately into another match. That trains you to play to your outs for a while at least which gives a more accurate picture of thief's strength.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean there have been games where I've thought "ugh I should just tap out" and then turned it around at the last moment, but there's been way more where I clung on after defeat looked inevitable and, surprise, it was. Whether or not I quit comes down to how long I think the match will go and how much I'm enjoying it. Thief of Sanity is probably a card most people hate*, and its pretty obvious why. The effect of having your own cards used against you is seriously demoralizing.

*I actually think its really neat, but it tends to be run in heavy control decks which exhaust my patience very quickly so :shrug:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 23, 2019

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The flip side is it does nothing the turn it comes into play, and it dies to a stiff breeze

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I mean, presumably you've put good cards in your deck, so Thief is definitely drawing your opponent good cards. If you're not able to stop the 2/2 flier from connecting, you'd have to be really far ahead in other ways to have a chance at clawing that game back.

That said, sometimes you are far enough ahead that you'll let it hit you, because the other stuff you can do is better for winning the game.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!
Secret best play: t2 Incubation Druid into t3 Tajic.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

turboraton posted:

Bullshit. I climbed last season to diamond with a loving monogreen that I kept adapting to the meta.

Nice angryboast

Seriously though, from what I've seen 99% of the ladder from gold up is meta decks. You're obviously one of the exceptions but I didn't mean it's literally impossible to climb with your own brew.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 23, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Usually I'm one to always advocate for doing things your own way but MTGA isn't really conductive to doing that. I like my dumb blue deck but I'm not gonna pretend I wouldn't do better if I just followed a guide and built traditional Mono-U. This game isn't kind towards experimentation so its no surprise everyone just makes meta decks to grind with.

My blue deck mostly wins on the back of people expecting it to be regular Mono-U and not paying attention to Departed Deckhands. Their active can easily cinch a win.

EDIT: Which reminds me; what are some good draw options for blue other than curious obsession? Kind of wanna move away from it if possible.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 23, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Chart a course, chemisters insight, maaaybe radical idea if you can make use of stuff in the graveyard?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Thief of Sanity connecting is card advantage while also removing threats from your deck. Stealing and holding (never casting) stuff like Carnage Tyrant (to avoid GY recursion) or Chemister's Insight (stops it from being Jump Started) is incredibly strong as well.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hodgepodge posted:

Secret best play: t2 Incubation Druid into t3 Ajani

This interaction is very strong and I wish more people didn’t sleep on it.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
You’d think mono red players wanted to not waste time, but this prick roped me for 38 minutes even when all his stuff was exiled to Teferi emblem. At least Kayaya almost one-hit killed him.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Bust Rodd posted:

This interaction is very strong and I wish more people didn’t sleep on it.

I'm not sure what the naya big mana deck you want to play is that also wants to play tajic.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s not for the same deck, I don’t think Naya has a good spot in the current format. I just think my Selesnya Midrange deck really does super gross stuff if you untap on T4 with 7-8 mana.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
When you go up to a new tier of matchmaking (silver to gold etc.) you can't drop back to the lower ones no matter how much you lose right?

Oceanbound posted:

You’d think mono red players wanted to not waste time, but this prick roped me for 38 minutes even when all his stuff was exiled to Teferi emblem. At least Kayaya almost one-hit killed him.

I find it really funny that someone would complain about actually having to play out their deck's win-condition

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Internet Kraken posted:

I find it really funny that someone would complain about actually having to play out their deck's win-condition

You seem pretty new, so I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just don't know what "roped" means, rather than assuming that you're a total idiot.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My last round last night was me (RDW) vs Esper. I EoT burn out their Teferi and untap into Experimental Frenzy. He untaps, plays a 2nd Teferi, emotes “Good Game”... and draws off Teferi and passes?!

I untap, take him from 16 to 8, he mortified my... Chainwhirler!?!, untaps, Vraska’s contempts my Lavarunner, he’s back at 10 and... draws off Teferi again!

I untap and take him from 10 to 0 because I have frenzy and 9 mana. You better believe I told that complete moron Good Game afterwards.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

zoux posted:

The HSReplay guys' deck tracker is in open beta

That land window comes up when you mouse over the lands line in the main deck overlay, otherwise it's hidden.

I haven't had any problems, though I've only played a few games. In terms of presentation, it's way above anything else.

Keep a close eye here. HSReplay/HDT are the gems of Hearthstone's third party stuff. Very excited to see what this lot do in MTG. Lots of potential there.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Oceanbound posted:

Interestingly, I’ve played a fair amount of Esper Acuity and I’ve never been roped or had issues. People seem to hate Teferi specifically and if you play with it you should be prepared for the salt.

It’s really Jace, The Mind Sculptor all over again, and I’m more confident than ever thanks to Arena it’s more about play patterns than price.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

Eej posted:

Thief of Sanity connecting is card advantage while also removing threats from your deck. Stealing and holding (never casting) stuff like Carnage Tyrant (to avoid GY recursion) or Chemister's Insight (stops it from being Jump Started) is incredibly strong as well.

People aren't saying it's not a strong play, but snap conceding to one hitting once seems a bit much. You're leaving a bunch of potential win% on the table if you do that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Marketing New Brain posted:

Interestingly, I’ve played a fair amount of Esper Acuity and I’ve never been roped or had issues. People seem to hate Teferi specifically and if you play with it you should be prepared for the salt.

It’s really Jace, The Mind Sculptor all over again, and I’m more confident than ever thanks to Arena it’s more about play patterns than price.

Teferi is half as powerful as Jace, it's not that, it's that Teferi is in standard at a time when 2-3 drops counterspells are all extremely playable so his +1 is very hard to whiff.

Jace Fatesealing away any answers seriously felt as though you were playing against two distinct people instead of one dude and his planeswalker

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

number one pta fan posted:

Keep a close eye here. HSReplay/HDT are the gems of Hearthstone's third party stuff. Very excited to see what this lot do in MTG. Lots of potential there.

Someone told me in here, I don't recall who, that WotC are pretty inimical to massive statistical analysis projects and have taken steps to combat it in MTGO. If that's indeed the case, I wonder how much they'll push back on it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this game has a good amount of bots playing now, and i'm happy to prey upon them

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MikeCrotch posted:

People aren't saying it's not a strong play, but snap conceding to one hitting once seems a bit much. You're leaving a bunch of potential win% on the table if you do that.

In a Control Mirror, a Thief getting two uncontested turns hitting face is almost a guaranteed loss tbh

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

Someone told me in here, I don't recall who, that WotC are pretty inimical to massive statistical analysis projects and have taken steps to combat it in MTGO. If that's indeed the case, I wonder how much they'll push back on it.

They removed deck results that allow for numerical quantification in favour of only putting one copy of a deck that's 20 unique cards away from any other deck that placed in their results.

So if you looked now, instead of, for instance, seeing 5 results for Red Deck Wins that day, you would only see one result for Red Deck Wins along with any other decks that placed.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Essentially Wizard's reaction to some bad data was to bury their loving heads in the sand and actively suppress it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Thats not what roping is bruh

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

zoux posted:

More about that in here from 2017: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/wizards-data-insanity

quote:

A few years ago, StarCityGames published a series called Too Much Information, which broke down all of the decks and matchups from their own events (SCG Opens), and before too long, Wizards asked StarCityGames to stop. A couple of years ago, I wrote a series breaking down matchups based on information from Magic Online replays, and once again, Wizards stepped in and asked us to stop. During this same time frame, Magic Online went from publishing every winning decklist to 10 random winning decklists a day to now five curated decklists a day.

The point is that this week's announcement isn't an isolated, one-time incident—Wizards has a long track record of trying to stifle data, and not just its own data that it controls, but in the case of Too Much Information, data that is generated and published completely independently of Wizards on an independent tournament circuit. Based on this history, it wouldn't be at all surprising to see Wizards attempt to cut down even further on data in the future, which is one of the reasons why it's important to speak out on the issue now.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think wizards suppressing information like that is an effort to keep the meta from being solved as long as they can. It will always be solved eventually but that information takes time to trickle down to the average player while the pros are doing the original research. Its probably for the best, but people are always going to be annoyed by it.

This never used to be a problem because you just had major tournament reports, and the meta at your local FNM. Later on, you got more data from MTGO so they started releasing 5-0 decks, but they have always been able to choose which lists to release, so you could only gain so much information. Now you have millions of games being played every hour so its really really easy to solve the meta a week after a set drops and I don't think anyone wants that. Right now everyone just says "well they should design sets better" and with the Play Design team, they really have been. But no amount of good design can stop millions of players who are experimenting and sharing information 24/7 from finding the best 3-4 decks possible in a week or 2.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Mar 23, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Just want to give a shout out of thanks to all the durdley controls/gates decks in Ravnica Allegiance draft who thought it would be a good idea to stuff 4 copies of Ill-Gotten Inheritance in there, who keep giving me wins because it turns out IGI doesn't block creatures.

Also finding it really difficult not to just draft Orzhov constantly. So many 8th pick Grasping Thrulls.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Also finding it really difficult not to just draft Orzhov constantly. So many 8th pick Grasping Thrulls.
do not fight this urge if you enjoy winning. orzhov is the best pair in rna by a country mile, even with a relatively less impressive pool.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Relin posted:

this game has a good amount of bots playing now, and i'm happy to prey upon them

Teach me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Mass manipulating someone twice in draft feels kind of rude