Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCXlrNYghHs

Re:Zero is an isekai with the premise that whenever the main character dies in this world via some kind of bullshit, or, more commonly, his own drat stupidity, he is resurrected to try again some amount of time in the past. This act is apparently performed by Satella, the Jealous Witch and most reviled person in the world whose very presence is found sickening.

We last left our hero having saved Emilia from near certain death at the hands of the dastardly witch cult, slaying Petelgeuse Ranee-Conti, the witch cult leader of sloth, in the process, as well as the White Whale, a legendarily powerful beast. The process to determine the next sovereign of the Kingdom of Lugunica remain ongoing.

Characters

Subaru Natsuki
Our beloved hero! A former shut-in that was teleported to a fantasy world from our own. He is incredibly prideful, and fanatically devoted to Emilia. Doesn't seem to realize that he should probably throw away that horribly cursed book he's carrying around. He also bears the unmistakable stench of the Jealous Witch.

Emilia
A half-elf with silver hair in a world where everyone is super-racist against half-elves with silver hair. She is a candidate for ruler of Lugunica.

Rem and Ram
Twin maids that work for Emilia. Rem killed Subaru once for the aforementioned witch-stink, but is now in love with him.

Felt
Another candidate for Ruler. A disaffected member of the underclass who has vowed to destroy the kingdom if elected.

Reinhard van Astrea
The Sword Saint and scion of the prestigious van Astrea swordsmen. The strongest knight that ever was, is or will be with the kind of power that affects the security of entire kingdoms. Extremely friendly and easygoing despite that. He is currently supporting Felt in the ruler elections.

Satella, The Jealous Witch
S̶̥̱̻̹̦̹̦̣̽̀͛͐̅̏͑̂́̚͟ă̗̲͍̖͚͉̪̪͋̽̈͜͜͞t͉̭̜͓͎̓̈̈́͊̀ͅè̜̮̬̙̩̅̈̄͊̎̍l̵̢̨̢̛̛̺̮̙̯̀̔͆͐̓̊l̵̺̪̺̤̺̲̃̔̽̿̀͗̏ͅa̸̖̼̗̟͉̺̿̀̇́́̚ Ľ̗̖͇̯͕̆̾̇̏̓̏͞͡ő̸̪̳̩̋̇̃̉̍̏̎̕͘͜͟ṿ̡̩̱̼̱͓͐͐̐̿̿͢ͅę̷̩͍̪̺̟̜͙͎̭̒̃̋̐͑̓̎͞͝s̢͙͖̰̪͍̃̔͒̀̏̎̒͡ Ÿ̷͚͖͇̰͈̀̌͑̃̇̐͞o̶̡̦̠̗̖͇̳͎͊̾̒͒́͛͌̀͘͡ͅu̷̡͎̝̳̬͚̟̓͂͊̓̀̆̔̕̚͜

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I remember that in the old thread there was someone saying that a second season would be hard to make because they skipped a lot of important setup. Is that true?

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
If true. I hope they can salvage that, and create a stellar season 2

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Eh, changes can be made and adjustments can work as well. Same happened with the HxH 2011 Anime.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

AnoHito, what do you propose should be the spoiler policy? Warnings before spoilers? Business as usual? No headbutts?

I can probably answer many questions about future content.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
!!!!!!

I kept google searching for season 2 of this every few months. Genuinely excited to hear!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Glad it’s coming. Also I think the op is being a bit unfair to Subaru. By the end of the season he was very likable.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Grouchio posted:

AnoHito, what do you propose should be the spoiler policy? Warnings before spoilers? Business as usual? No headbutts?

I can probably answer many questions about future content.

Spoiler and mark them as LN/WN spoilers. If someone looks after that, it's on them.

Generally try not to go on about them forever for no reason, though, since the vast majority of posters itt are gonna be anime only

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 23, 2019

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rem is getting ready!
https://twitter.com/shinohara_kenta/status/1109491036836032514

Anyway, i don't know the details (and don't care to learn) about what may or may not have been skipped, it's an adaptation, hopefully they can, well, adapt.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm very happy and surprised by this announcement. It feels like every show I get into never gets a continuation which was beginning to sour me on anime as a medium. I hate that most everything is treated as a glorified infomercial for the source material rather than something that can stand on its own.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I picked this show up a couple of months ago on a recommendation and it seemed like an interesting premise so I stuck with it

Then the ending of ep5 holy gently caress that was a brutal death

I was hooked after that and look forward to the continued misadventures of Natsuki Toyota

e: lol I just noticed Patrasche is in the pic (what's with Subaru's obsession with a Dog of Flanders?)

Beasteh fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 24, 2019

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'm unreasonably excited and happy about that PV being released. I'm really tempted to read the VN now that people have mentioned it's actually different than the show, but probably not until after the second season is done now that I know it's happening in the future for sure.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Toalpaz posted:

I'm unreasonably excited and happy about that PV being released. I'm really tempted to read the VN now that people have mentioned it's actually different than the show, but probably not until after the second season is done now that I know it's happening in the future for sure.
You mean WN right? Because that (all of Arc 4) is completely translated and online. I read the whole thing two years ago and I thought it was the best novel I've read in years.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ yeah it's seriously great. probably the best "anime-ish anime" story content I've ever read/watched. Not sure how else to describe it; like Re:Zero has some "dumb anime stuff" (I really dislike the way Re:Zero deals with romance, but that's probably the only thing I dislike about it) but it also has easily the most exciting plot with a fun/interesting cast of any other similar thing. There are just so many memorable things that happen in this arc, and I really hope the anime does it justice.

Ah, just noticed there's already a thread for season 2. The arc (arc 4 is very long and will likely be this entire season judging from the image in the OP) is really good y'all. Blows everything from the first 3 arcs out of the water IMO. It's also neat to see some of the character designs in the image. Most look about how I pictured them when reading it.

Arc 4 is the first one that really kinda "opens up" the setting, and a bunch of really important stuff happens during it. One of the twists is really great and makes a lot of sense in retrospect.

edit: Also nice to see (vague WN spoilers just indicating that certain characters show up)Subaru's parents make an appearance in the image. That part of the arc was really sweet, and it's nice to actually see *a protagonist's parents* factor into their characterization.

edit2: Btw, who is the girl in front of Otto and behind Garfiel (the one holding the dog)? I recognize everyone else in this image, but not her.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 24, 2019

Wollawolla
Jan 15, 2007

Are you gonna smash my skull and breathe my blood-mist?

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: Btw, who is the girl in front of Otto and behind Garfiel (the one holding the dog)? I recognize everyone else in this image, but not her.

That's (Season 1 spoiler) Meili Portroute, the little village girl with the wolfgarm puppy who cursed Subaru during the 2nd arc.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The OP should add in a list of goons who know LN/WN poo poo, to the OP. Like a conclave.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh this is super rad, I just blitzed through the three manga series of this recently(current scanlations are in the middle of the white whale fight) and this is great news, I was about to go through the webnovel but I'd much prefer an animated version than text.

a kitten posted:

Rem is getting ready!
https://twitter.com/shinohara_kenta/status/1109491036836032514

Anyway, i don't know the details (and don't care to learn) about what may or may not have been skipped, it's an adaptation, hopefully they can, well, adapt.

that guy's reply to a question of how he did it rules. Also, a mexican dude hamfistedly conversing in english to a japanese guy and they still manage to somewhat understand each other is great.

"when learn do its animations?"

and the fantastic reply: "All things that move are my teachers."

Beasteh posted:

Then the ending of ep5 holy gently caress that was a brutal death
if you think the anime deaths are brutal, you should see the completely uncensored manga depictions.

yes, I really needed to see Subaru, with a huge chunk out of his neck, frantically trying to breathe through the gaping void where his windpipe and jugular are visibly disconnected between his head and torso, and worse, though they do totally get across just how hosed up going through that is

J-Spot posted:

I'm very happy and surprised by this announcement. It feels like every show I get into never gets a continuation which was beginning to sour me on anime as a medium. I hate that most everything is treated as a glorified infomercial for the source material rather than something that can stand on its own.
DEVIL IS A PART TIMER SEASON 2 WHENNNNNNNNN :argh::argh::argh:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Grouchio posted:

The OP should add in a list of goons who know LN/WN poo poo, to the OP. Like a conclave.

what's appealing about this idea

honestly the more minimal talk is about the WN/LN before the anime happens the better, and especially no spoilers unless someone like, directly asks for them. if you want to talk about the WN/LN in depth, isn't there a light novel thread or something? or another thread could be made, much like how many anime franchises have a separate anime and manga thread

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

what's appealing about this idea

honestly the more minimal talk is about the WN/LN before the anime happens the better, and especially no spoilers unless someone like, directly asks for them. if you want to talk about the WN/LN in depth, isn't there a light novel thread or something? or another thread could be made, much like how many anime franchises have a separate anime and manga thread

yes please do this

moratorium on LN/WN talk in this thread, have a thread for those like the slime isekai does

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Given the success of the first season I figured a second was inevitable, still quite glad that I was right. Given how much time they've had to cook it and the posts about the content adapted being even better than the previous arcs I'm fully on board. Might get me to check out the WN/LN in advance too based on the good reviews and me being eager for more. I know some of the big stuff coming up since spoilers for it were all over the last thread, but that always happens in these threads that adapt manga, LN or WN material so it doesn't bother me at all personally. It's my own fault if I mouse over that stuff after all, as long as it's tagged my philosophy is go hog wild with whatever you want, but I know that's not the general consensus.

That image in the OP has a serious lack of Felt in it though, I liked her quite a bit and I hope her not being in the image doesn't mean she's missing from S2.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!
She'll be missing from S2.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

NowonSA posted:

Given the success of the first season I figured a second was inevitable
With anime this is never a guarantee of subsequent seasons, unless it's an attack on titan, slime isekai, one punch man etc breakout smash hit. Animes are very often advertisements for another form of the property, be it manga, light novels, etc, and if they're profitable on their own, that's nice. If they're a smash success, then you can talk more seasons.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Even then, attack on titan had to wait like 4 years for a s2

Also I thought re:zero was a smash success like those too. It was certainly everywhere when it was airing, and for a good while after too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It felt like it didn't penetrate the elusive non-weeb bubble though, least from what I've seen. I'm generally known as an anime fan at work and have had people come up and talk to me multiple times about the three I listed, but nobody knew what re zero was when I asked about it. Anecdotal of course, though, I'm not familiar with specific stats or anything of its success.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing I'm kinda curious about is whether the anime will be able to faithfully reproduce the sense of "familiarity" (stemming from repetition) you get with Subaru's situation. The repetition and sheer length of the arc really helps to sort of get you into Subaru's mindset and understand why he feels the way he does, etc. If this is going to be a full ~24 episode season, I could see them pulling it off. A 12-13 episode season might be a bit rushed. The anime version of arc 3 did a decent job with this, after all, though from what I understand it still cut some "lives" from the WN version of the arc.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Arc 4 is way longer than arcs 1 2 and 3 combined so I hope it does get a 24 ep season

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

It felt like it didn't penetrate the elusive non-weeb bubble though, least from what I've seen. I'm generally known as an anime fan at work and have had people come up and talk to me multiple times about the three I listed, but nobody knew what re zero was when I asked about it. Anecdotal of course, though, I'm not familiar with specific stats or anything of its success.

I'm sure the fact that they're dubbed and have had exposure outside of just the niche streaming services helped those take off. Maybe now that they've finished the dub Crunchyroll could get Re:Zero on Adult Swim. It seems like it would be a decent fit there apart from having some episodes that were longer than a normal broadcast.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Is there a list out there of what got cut from the webnovel for the 1st anime season?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One thing that comes to mind during the 4th arc is that (very minor spoilers about characters that are mentioned in the arc) I feel super bad for Subaru's parents. They're so good and he was an only child, so it's really sad that from their perspective he presumably just got killed by a truck (or disappeared, forget if he explicitly died before being transported). Normally that aspect is completely ignored in isekai series, so it makes a surprisingly big impact when the story actually bothers to introduce you to the protagonist's parents and show how much they care for the protagonist and how much he was influenced by them.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation
I don't know about the web novel, but in the anime and LN there's no Truck-kun involved; he crossed between worlds instantly and without fanfare.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Conspiratiorist posted:

I don't know about the web novel, but in the anime and LN there's no Truck-kun involved; he crossed between worlds instantly and without fanfare.

Yeah, I remember in the anime he was super confused/disoriented about it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he was literally walking home from the convenience store, bag with snacks and all(which he uses to bribe someone for info), and just appeared in the middle of the road in front of a fruit vendor in the manga, I assume it's the same in the anime et al.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah okay, so he just disappeared, lol. That's arguably even worse, since now he'll have just randomly gone missing from the perspective of his family, etc.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Do we know specifically when it's happening, or just that it's happening?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation

OscarDiggs posted:

Do we know specifically when it's happening, or just that it's happening?

The latter, but since it's being announced right now then it's probably for 2020.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I haven't finished season 1 yet so this might be completely obvious to those that have, but is that loving Petelgeuse!?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ActionZero posted:

I haven't finished season 1 yet so this might be completely obvious to those that have, but is that loving Petelgeuse!?
LN Spoilers: Yes he was sane once. He knew Emilia too.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 25, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015
Probation

ActionZero posted:

Oh no, people who completed S1 are in for a ride too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wow, I'd completely forgotten that Subaru didn't get killed in some way before he was summoned. I think maybe the op where it shows him resurrecting/time flowing backwards somehow put that idea in my head? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I somehow glossed over that as well.
Somehow protag dying and isekai are blended in together for me.