Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Why not just submit the subpoena right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

mdemone posted:

Didn't Trump's admin just like 2 or 3 days ago tell the house to go gently caress themselves when they subpoenaed something? I think that's a direct quote, too.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

mdemone posted:

The DOJ hasn't declined to release it yet, Congress hasn't requested it yet, and the DOJ hasn't refused yet. Gotta hear them say " No" before you can tell them you weren't asking.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Tibalt posted:

The DOJ hasn't declined to release it yet, Congress hasn't requested it yet, and the DOJ hasn't refused yet. Gotta hear them say " No" before you can tell them you weren't asking.

Actually, I don't think they have to wait. They could just issue a subpoena. What is stopping them? Decorum.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Let's see ol Donny wriggle his way out of this one

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

pseudanonymous posted:

Actually, I don't think they have to wait. They could just issue a subpoena. What is stopping them? Decorum.
Yes, I'm glad you understand the thing I'm describing.

Edit: This isn't a sarcastic post. The reason why the Democrats aren't submitting a Saturday subpoena for something they technically haven't even been denied yet is because it's a pointlessly dickish move that doesn't really change anything, aka not behavior in keeping with good taste and propriety.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 23, 2019

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Catalyst-proof posted:

Let's see ol Donny wriggle his way out of this one

Trump isn’t in charge of the report but ok.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

my dick is hard thinking about how trump will skate. i am going to make a lot of posts to this effect

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Wait, if we haven't actually heard anything about the report, what was everyone despairing over yesterday?

Because the report was accompanied by a statement that everything was all done. While only the most deranged of idiots thought that Big Daddy Trump would be led out of the White House in cuffs, there's a lot of people in his circle who have tons of public evidence regarding their criminal behavior with regard to things under the special council's purview and none of them are in jail awaiting bail hearings today. Given that there was a lot of concern that Barr was being brought on as attorney general specifically to shut down the investigation and as soon as he's in office the investigation shuts down, it's pretty unsettling that everything is over without Don Jr or Kushner or a dozen other people have yet to be arrested.

Right now, there's a faint hope that things aren't actually over over. And we don't know what the report actually says. It's also completely impossible to bury this poo poo show. If a complete report isn't turned over to congress, it will be subpoenaed and then read into the record. If the investigation was shut down as obstruction of justice, when Mueller testifies before the house (and he will testify before the house, this has always been unavoidable) he will talk about that since he has no reason to protect people who tried to throw him under the bus. Of course, even if there's a smoking gun Pelosi is on the record regarding being completely unwilling to even attempt to hold Trump and republicans responsible.

Basically, there's a lot of signs that things are being hosed with and if they aren't then things are completely rotten and one of the lifelines that someone might try to hold people in power accountable has just been taken away.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Tibalt posted:

Yes, I'm glad you understand the thing I'm describing.

Edit: This isn't a sarcastic post. The reason why the Democrats aren't submitting a Saturday subpoena for something they technically haven't even been denied yet is because it's a pointlessly dickish move that doesn't really change anything, aka not behavior in keeping with good taste and propriety.

But the best measure of political righteousness is throwing a pointless fit, don’t you know.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump isn’t in charge of the report but ok.

Only in the most narrow literal sense.

Tuff Scrote
Apr 23, 2004
Lol at everyone conspiracy theorizing that this won’t be anything but a big slam dunk for GEOTUS

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

morcant posted:

Quick Google indicates it's a Gulf Stream 5 operated by the DOJ.

e: I saw a mention on Twitter where someone was wondering if Assange was onboard. That was nonsense rumors, right?

Maximum comedy option: it's Farage :getin:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tuff Ghost posted:

Lol at everyone conspiracy theorizing that this won’t be anything but a big slam dunk for GEOTUS

Let's play the "has this idiot been banned for racism?" game

I win!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

For people that don't do code federal regulation the relevant section that Barr should follow:

§ 600.9 Notification and reports by the Attorney General.
(a) The Attorney General will notify the Chairman and Ranking Minority Member of the Judiciary Committees of each House of Congress, with an explanation for each action -

(1) Upon appointing a Special Counsel;

(2) Upon removing any Special Counsel; and

(3) Upon conclusion of the Special Counsels investigation, including, to the extent consistent with applicable law, a description and explanation of instances (if any) in which the Attorney General concluded that a proposed action by a Special Counsel was so inappropriate or unwarranted under established Departmental practices that it should not be pursued.

(b) The notification requirement in paragraph (a)(1) of this section may be tolled by the Attorney General upon a finding that legitimate investigative or privacy concerns require confidentiality. At such time as confidentiality is no longer needed, the notification will be provided.

(c) The Attorney General may determine that public release of these reports would be in the public interest, to the extent that release would comply with applicable legal restrictions. All other releases of information by any Department of Justice employee, including the Special Counsel and staff, concerning matters handled by Special Counsels shall be governed by the generally applicable Departmental guidelines concerning public comment with respect to any criminal investigation, and relevant law.

It's uh pretty vague for something from CFR

BrandorKP posted:

CFRs covering Mueller's report. This is the section before the one I posted earlier

§600.8 Notification and reports by the Special Counsel.
(a) Budget. (1) A Special Counsel shall be provided all appropriate resources by the Department of Justice. Within the first 60 days of his or her appointment, the Special Counsel shall develop a proposed budget for the current fiscal year with the assistance of the Justice Management Division for the Attorney General's review and approval. Based on the proposal, the Attorney General shall establish a budget for the operations of the Special Counsel. The budget shall include a request for assignment of personnel, with a description of the qualifications needed.

(2) Thereafter, 90 days before the beginning of each fiscal year, the Special Counsel shall report to the Attorney General the status of the investigation, and provide a budget request for the following year. The Attorney General shall determine whether the investigation should continue and, if so, establish the budget for the next year.

(b) Notification of significant events. The Special Counsel shall notify the Attorney General of events in the course of his or her investigation in conformity with the Departmental guidelines with respect to Urgent Reports.

(c) Closing documentation. At the conclusion of the Special Counsel's work, he or she shall provide the Attorney General with a confidential report explaining the prosecution or declination decisions reached by the Special Counsel.

The report will have a section dealing with declined prosecutions (it has to, to comply with 29 CFR 600.8 (c) ). So there will be an explictly answer for any we didn't indict X relevant person in the report, and would almost certainly include the President.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Tuff Ghost posted:

Cool TheDonald meme I feel owned.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lemming posted:

Let's play the "has this idiot been banned for racism?" game

I win!

I love that you went for that ban and not the other one.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sundae posted:

Lol yeah it appears racism is the least of that guys problems.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Tuff Ghost posted:

You'll know it is, because he will say so! What more proof do you need?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Tuff Ghost posted:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Sundae posted:

All Trump supporters are racist, they aren't *all* animal fuckers. I just wanted to play the game I was sure to win

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Maybe this is a difference of lawyers versus laypeople, but I don't get pointing to Corsi, Stone, and SDNY as clear indicators that the investigation qua inquiry into Russian interference is ongoing. SDNY's focus has been different from the outset. If there's an indication they're moving forward with Corsi, that's news to me.

I especially don't get the assertion that Barr shut things down. Were that the case, we would know it quickly, similarly to how the Comey debacle went down.

This isn't that. Beyond conspiracy, I don't see a reason to see this as more than Mueller submitting a report and saying "I've done what was within my ambit and handed off the rest as appropriate."

I get that Trump has broken many norms, and even more brains, but it would be a pretty severe erosion of the rule of law - considerably more than we have seen - to believe what y'all are suggesting or insinuating.

In particular, handing off matters to different trial counsel isn't unusual, or at all a sign that Barr told Mueller that he needs to stop.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Officially one day.

Tweet you fat orange thing, TWEET.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The worst twitter is Glenn Greenwald and his pals taking bows for the Mueller reporting being underwhelming....

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mcmagic posted:

The worst twitter is Glenn Greenwald

:hmmyes:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mcmagic posted:

The worst twitter is Glenn Greenwald and his pals taking bows for the Mueller reporting being underwhelming....

the new line is that russiagate = the media's failures in the runup to the iraq war

which is so loving offensive in so many different ways

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/npfandos/status/1109548056301760512

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Bushido Brown posted:

I especially don't get the assertion that Barr shut things down. Were that the case, we would know it quickly, similarly to how the Comey debacle went down.
It's... been 24 hours on the weekend?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Bushido Brown posted:

Plus it's been 22 years since Roseanne ended, she doesn't have that kind of power anymore

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Between all the think pieces and bullshit and not knowing if I have the latest information on this, googling for it is a cluster gently caress in our current hellworld timeline. What was the end result of the questions Mueller sent to Two Scoops for his interview? Can they point out any "This this and this is where the president factually lied under oath, in black and white and here's how that is obstruction of justice"?

Necessary disclaimer that I get it that he won't be frog marched out for having done so because he already admitted it live on national television and the Senate response was "Nothing to see here, move along."

Still, something besides a wet fart nothingberder report would be cool.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

new vice president for 2020 confirmed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Being happy at Trump's political win to own the other libs.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

new vice president for 2020 confirmed

Its cute they lined up lots of activities to distract our toddler president

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

quote:

One friend of Mr. Trump said that despite his outward good spirits, the president remained anxious about the contents of the report and was concerned that its release was taking longer than he expected.

In recent weeks, Mr. Trump has been canvassing friends and allies for their opinions of Mr. Barr, a long-serving Republican legal hand who was confirmed last month. Mr. Trump, people who have spoken with him said, does not know Mr. Barr well or what to expect from him.

“Do you know Barr?” the president has asked others of his attorney general.

that makes me happier.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

eke out posted:

the new line is that russiagate = the media's failures in the runup to the iraq war

which is so loving offensive in so many different ways

That’s ironic because Glenn supported the invasion when it happened. To be fair so did I but I was 12 years old.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

mcmagic posted:

This includes Matt Taibbi as well, apparently. :smith:

I don't get this. As I said yesterday, I never expected the Mueller thing to end Trump's presidency like many on the Left apparently did. But why BRAG about how stupid people on the Left were to try to hype it up? I agree they should have tempered expectations, but it's super rage inducing to see the likes of Taibbi and Greenwald holding hands with filth like James Woods and Tomi Lahren about how awful the media was with Russiagate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't get this. As I said yesterday, I never expected the Mueller thing to end Trump's presidency like many on the Left apparently did. But why BRAG about how stupid people on the Left were to try to hype it up? I agree they should have tempered expectations, but it's super rage inducing to see the likes of Taibbi and Greenwald holding hands with filth like James Woods and Tomi Lahren about how awful the media was with Russiagate.

It was very clear that no matter what was in the report, he wasn't getting impeached but there is proof of blatant wrongdoing that is just out in the open.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

I think the worst twitter is probably Nazis or people posting videos of people being murdered

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

For those of you daunted by getting involved in local politics. Remember that it is allllll about relationships and things move a lot quicker on the local level. In just a short time of just chatting with people during happy hours I was chosen to represent a group in a conference call with government officials, in just a year I am managing a rolodex of local operatives to take down a county executive and takeover of a planning board. We are going to get rid of the legacy of red lining in Montgomery County through these efforts. Local level is fast and loose and 1 person can make one hell of a difference.

My favorite saying is that "local politics plays with live ammo". You can take control of the levers and have an enormous effect on your community and state. Taking power away from regressives locally cascades upward to the state and national level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Interweb posted:

because the left has a nihilism problem just like the alt right does but to a lesser extent. instead of shooting innocent people like the nihilist black pill chuds, the nihilist left more being obsessed with that all systems are poo poo and pissing on everyone who has any faith in the system, no matter how small. 2016 broke a ton of brains. so now said people get off on proving to themselves that any kind of faith in any kind of institution is folly.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That’s ironic because Glenn supported the invasion when it happened. To be fair so did I but I was 12 years old.

glenn likes fascists when its suits him i guess except when it effects him personally.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 23, 2019