Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice

Nosfereefer posted:

Stranding billions of sentient organics that have never experienced want or need on some desert planet does in no way break the prime directive. If anything, we keep that place as an example of the folly of biological sovereignty.

I haven't played as a rogue servitor in 2.2, but I would guess population controls for your biotrophies might be in order. I know in previous patches it was easy to produce more of them than really made sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Zig-Zag posted:

I think only allowing one ecu power civ is a great idea. Maybe allow you to make a second when you research all the admin cap before repeatables. Also the second scanning idea would be awesome. Allow it to find strategic resources, alloy and trade value.

The first step should just be adjusting the ecu district costs to be more in line with normal costs.

For example, districts cost the same as 3 basic resource district, and provide 5x the jobs with 5x the upkeep. However, just comparing to city districts, you're paying less than 2 district costs and have the upkeep of 2.5 city districts.

So, re-adjust costs to separate out the housing district from the resource districts: it should cost 1500 straight up, though leaving the upkeep at 5 might be ok after accounting for housing districts after tech/traditions.

Production districts should cost in-line with production buildings: 2000 minerals. Upkeep needs to be higher as well, 20 is a lot closer to what you'd expect (production factories are 4 energy for 2 jobs). This'd still be cheaper than the equivalent production factories, and we've doubled the base cost and quadrupled the upkeep.

Note that this is one of those things that makes habs feel so much weaker: their costs are 500 with 2 upkeep per district, which tend to give you 2-3 jobs. So you're spending 1500 with 6 upkeep for 9 jobs while taking up 3 district slots.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Dreissi posted:

I haven't played as a rogue servitor in 2.2, but I would guess population controls for your biotrophies might be in order. I know in previous patches it was easy to produce more of them than really made sense.

Yeah, I picked Nihilistic Acquisition as my first, as I thought that made a lot of sense from a RP-kind-of-perspective. Turns out there are too many organics out there, and we can't keep pace with our zoos.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

ZypherIM posted:

The first step should just be adjusting the ecu district costs to be more in line with normal costs.

For example, districts cost the same as 3 basic resource district, and provide 5x the jobs with 5x the upkeep. However, just comparing to city districts, you're paying less than 2 district costs and have the upkeep of 2.5 city districts.

So, re-adjust costs to separate out the housing district from the resource districts: it should cost 1500 straight up, though leaving the upkeep at 5 might be ok after accounting for housing districts after tech/traditions.

Production districts should cost in-line with production buildings: 2000 minerals. Upkeep needs to be higher as well, 20 is a lot closer to what you'd expect (production factories are 4 energy for 2 jobs). This'd still be cheaper than the equivalent production factories, and we've doubled the base cost and quadrupled the upkeep.

Note that this is one of those things that makes habs feel so much weaker: their costs are 500 with 2 upkeep per district, which tend to give you 2-3 jobs. So you're spending 1500 with 6 upkeep for 9 jobs while taking up 3 district slots.

Im usually swimming in minerals by mid game but yes the math should add up better it would give me more stuff to spend my minerals on.

What are your thoughts on tieing ecus to mega engineering? That would make its more of a late game thing and could come in time to ramp up production for the end game crises.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Baron Porkface posted:

How and when did the dessanu fall in dev clash?

The space horses waited until no-one was watching and slaughtered them for lebensraum, thus cementing their position as the primary power in the galaxy. It was four or five episodes ago I think.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Zig-Zag posted:

What are your thoughts on tieing ecus to mega engineering? That would make its more of a late game thing and could come in time to ramp up production for the end game crises.

I hate everything being gated behind mega engineering already.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

ulmont posted:

I hate everything being gated behind mega engineering already.

This, pretty much. Finding an abandoned Ringworld, Nexus, whatever is pretty much fluff at this point. Even if I try to rush the relevant techs, that old derelict structure is never going to make a difference.

e: finding the remains of a megastructure should at least make the tech permanently available. Most of the tech is completely theoretical anyway, so having an example of the principles in your space for constant reference is a no brainer.

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 23, 2019

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Honestly I'd like to see galactic wonders et all just give mega-engineering as a tech option and require it for building anything instead of it being a requirement for the perk (they'd still require the pre-requisites for mega-engineering). You still have to research the tech to use the perk, but as soon as you take it it's always an option to research.

Because yeah, it's incredibly frustrating to get otherwise.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Zig-Zag posted:

Im usually swimming in minerals by mid game but yes the math should add up better it would give me more stuff to spend my minerals on.

Pretty much what bremen said. Mega engineering is one of the stupidest techs in the game, to the point where taking a perk just to have the tech card force spawn is a legit strategy. Anti-grav tech should get shuffled up to t4 tech like climate restoration, and that'd be fine to delay them a bit longer.

The thing with mega engineering is that you're probably going to be gated by alloy requirements anyways, so being able to start megastructures earlier isn't a huge deal. Ruined megastructures and the first league ecu should spawn an event (like alien encounters) that unlock a tech card that gives a tech to repair/restore them (make it t3 tech, then make the ruined/first league ecu not as good as a normal one).

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Even just finding an old dyson sphere should give some bonuses outside of the invisible card draw stuff. At least some kind of "hey, this panel is still operational" +30 energy. As it stands it's completely useless for 200+ years.

e: Or they should generate a shitton of research. Finding an old ruin gives nothing but an icon on the map. We get bonuses for studying space poop, so why doesn't an ancient Megastructure inspire something?

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 23, 2019

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

It could even be event-based, e.g. "the engineers stationed at the ruin managed to reactivate *something*".

e: my point is that something that weird would be studied to hell and back. No single scientist would go "oh an old dyson sphere, noice, we'll get back to that in a few generations"

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 23, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I agree on all of those points. Mega Engineering is a bad requirement since it's so late, and gating the structures behind it is frustrating.

I would rather the perk give a huge bonus to researching megastructures as well as force the card if it isn't already researched, and then put each structure behind a new tech.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nosfereefer posted:

Even just finding an old dyson sphere should give some bonuses outside of the invisible card draw stuff. At least some kind of "hey, this panel is still operational" +30 energy. As it stands it's completely useless for 200+ years.

e: Or they should generate a shitton of research. Finding an old ruin gives nothing but an icon on the map. We get bonuses for studying space poop, so why doesn't an ancient Megastructure inspire something?

For real, an ancient dyson sphere or ring world would be a huge research opportunity, moreso than any anomaly that you can find normally.

It's also weird that finding a megastructure doesn't unlock any tech options. We can quickly study the debris left behind by a ship and suddenly have a new concept for how to build rockets or lasers that requires some tech effort to fully unlock, but can't do the same for being able to repair megastructures? It could be a repeatable tech even, so fully refurbishing a ring world or part of a dyson sphere is a ton of research and construction effort but getting some minimal functionality out of it doesn't require as much.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 23, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

IMO Megastructure repair should just be tied to starbase tech, or something similarly tiered. So you can at least start fixing up the Sentry Array you might have found.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Just played through for the first time since Le Guin. So after a certain point the AI still won't expand to systems next to it anymore, and still ignored pirates in their own territory for years. I'm guessing these are just unfixable problems? Which seems weird?

Also are they planning to simplify planet management? It's more immersive now, which is great, but at even greater costs in the AI being unable to play the game and in the player having to engage in extreme micromanagement.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Discovering a ruined megastructure or ecumenopolis should start off as a semi-powerful research site. The structure/planet is basically uninhabitable due to the state of decay; it's been sitting there for millions of years and was the result of engineering capabilities far beyond you, of course you can't just move into Fen Habbanis and immediately start up the alloy foundries; not only are they ruined due to neglect but you also wouldn't even know how they work, it's all alien! Discovering one of these lets you build a Xenoarchaeology Post, kind of like an Observation Post but for ancient alien megastructures.

Once you have a Xenoarchaeology Post built you can begin to access a tech tree (Ancient Structure Restoration) that unlocks additional features of the megastructure or ecumenopolis. Each level reduces the post's science output but gives you a big alternative benefit; as you figure out how to use these alien structures, you begin to learn less from them but get some of the benefits of using them for their intended use. Dyson spheres supply some energy. Ringworlds and Fen Habbanis can be inhabited, but with huge penalties to habitability and production, and they have several unremovable blockers that limit their usefulness (e.g. you're still not using those foundry arcologies yet, but you can at least have clerks and people living in these huge empty structures; that's something). Higher levels of Ancient Structure Restoration allow you to start removing those blockers, and the habitability and production penalties decrease. The last level of the tech unlocks the full capabilities of the original structure, but you still have a small habitability and production penalty; these are still mysterious alien structures, after all, and you'll probably never completely understand them, but you're still getting enormous benefits out of them. Maybe there's a decision to be made between modifying the habitability to 100% or completely removing the production penalties. Unlocking the ability to build these structures yourself (via the normal tech/perk options) lets you completely rehabilitate the structure; you're basically replacing whatever machinery the aliens left behind with your own stuff.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So I'm a new player to the game. It's cool and I'm enjoying it but I have a question: So I'm playing the Homolog which means I want to assimilate everything. I conquered a primitive world and they've been assimilating for like 25 years, despite the tooltip saying that 3-12 would assimilate per year and there are only 25 pop there. I can't even tell what the progress is. There's high unemployment rate because those being assimilated cannot work? I keep getting the event that drones are being deviant and putting them into idle mode is a huge energy drain, and it doesn't make sense thematically as there are no robots yet to go rogue. So I have this planet I'm just staring at wondering what to do. Is there something I'm missing about the assimilation process?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

SettingSun posted:

So I'm a new player to the game. It's cool and I'm enjoying it but I have a question: So I'm playing the Homolog which means I want to assimilate everything. I conquered a primitive world and they've been assimilating for like 25 years, despite the tooltip saying that 3-12 would assimilate per year and there are only 25 pop there. I can't even tell what the progress is. There's high unemployment rate because those being assimilated cannot work? I keep getting the event that drones are being deviant and putting them into idle mode is a huge energy drain, and it doesn't make sense thematically as there are no robots yet to go rogue. So I have this planet I'm just staring at wondering what to do. Is there something I'm missing about the assimilation process?

Have you tried just clicking on them in the species section? Sometimes the game is a little buggy on when it actually switches pops back from assimilation.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'd like if planet development was a bit more organic feeling instead of "You have X pops you can build another thing". Like if there was a Planetary Development score based on how many pops you have, what proportion of the planet's districts you've built, are there any tile blockers left, how long it's been colonised etc, and that's what unlocked extra buildings. Then building an ecu could require a planet of a minimum development score rather than just selling all your farms and replace them with cities.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Excuse me, sir? What do you think about those Imperium Of Technology guys. (me)

Well I mean sure they blew up a couple of planets but they respect kids so eh, they seem alright I guess?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ak Gara posted:

Well I mean sure they blew up a couple of planets but they respect kids so eh, they seem alright I guess?

I believe that is actually them approving of your blowing up planets.
But not, weirdly, star systems?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Ak Gara posted:

actually that shows that they're saying 'sure they've obliterated a few stars but they do respect kids and destroy planets at least'

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Splicer posted:

I'd like if planet development was a bit more organic feeling instead of "You have X pops you can build another thing". Like if there was a Planetary Development score based on how many pops you have, what proportion of the planet's districts you've built, are there any tile blockers left, how long it's been colonised etc, and that's what unlocked extra buildings. Then building an ecu could require a planet of a minimum development score rather than just selling all your farms and replace them with cities.

It's weird to have all the people self sort but then the Deep State decides what kind of factory to build next. It would be sweet if it just did its own thing. As a bonus that would mean many of the currencies players juggle (alloys, gems, gases, etc) could just go away or get minimized. Having to manually choose between what currency to get a few more of each time a planet gets 5 more pops does not feel like a fun or meaningful decision.

Basically I like the immersion of seeing my pops run around but I hate having to pause every three seconds to do a bunch of central planning that seems to have marginal yet unpredictable effects.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also I started a game as a regular machine empire and spawned in the First League anomaly area and also right next to the KILLBOTS empire I had made and we are friends

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Best Friends posted:

It's weird to have all the people self sort but then the Deep State decides what kind of factory to build next. It would be sweet if it just did its own thing. As a bonus that would mean many of the currencies players juggle (alloys, gems, gases, etc) could just go away or get minimized. Having to manually choose between what currency to get a few more of each time a planet gets 5 more pops does not feel like a fun or meaningful decision.

Basically I like the immersion of seeing my pops run around but I hate having to pause every three seconds to do a bunch of central planning that seems to have marginal yet unpredictable effects.
I don't mind clicking the button (though some automation would be nice), I don't like the system whereby it decides I get to click a new button.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

IMO Megastructure repair should just be tied to starbase tech, or something similarly tiered. So you can at least start fixing up the Sentry Array you might have found.

This is a really elegant and sweet idea. It will neatly dovetail in with you getting your own MS built from scratch at the end of it too.

EDIT: The War in Heaven is now going in our favor. I blocked the expansion of the materialist faction with a planet that I had stacked armies on, which they got caught up on long enough for me to rebuild the fleet and start mass-producing torpedo-corvettes. Meanwhile, my federation allies kept the spiritualists busy on my western border with a back-and-forth attritional battle that they somehow managed to keep stable. Our isolated southern member also has been eating them from behind.

Right now I'm going to focus on clearing out the south-east corner of the map, and then we'll swing around to the east to clear them out for good.

Xerxes17 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 24, 2019

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

OwlFancier posted:

I believe that is actually them approving of your blowing up planets.
But not, weirdly, star systems?

Ah, true.

Also, I guess everyone hates it when you ruin their favorite constellation?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Xerxes17 posted:

This is a really elegant and sweet idea. It will neatly dovetail in with you getting your own MS built from scratch at the end of it too.

EDIT: The War in Heaven is now going in our favor. I blocked the expansion of the materialist faction with a planet that I had stacked armies on, which they got caught up on long enough for me to rebuild the fleet and start mass-producing torpedo-corvettes. Meanwhile, my federation allies kept the spiritualists busy on my western border with a back-and-forth attritional battle that they somehow managed to keep stable. Our isolated southern member also has been eating them from behind.

Right now I'm going to focus on clearing out the south-east corner of the map, and then we'll swing around to the east to clear them out for good.

I wish the random mishmash of factions in my game could do this with the one Doctrine Enforcer that is running around making GBS threads up the galactic west. I blew my load too early and ended up needing to bend the knee, and now I'm stuck waiting for decadence to kick in to rebel. It feels like they should be hitting the penalties hard, but they still have north of 500k fleet power running around. Mind you, it never kicked off a war in heaven, which is part of the problem. The other two fallen are just sitting there like lumps.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

SettingSun posted:

According to Darkrenown there is currently a bug with assimilation.

quote:

As a workaround if you aren't in ironman you can select a planet and run "event action.65" via the console. Note that this is the yearly "convert 3-12 pops" event, so you will need to run it multiple times to convert everyone.

People who are comfortable modding can instead edit event action.64 to use "any_owned_pop" instead of "any_owned_pop_species", although that may cause some end of year lag.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 24, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I do agree that it's sad that too much "cool stuff" is right at the end of the game when you've effectively won.
Maybe if you could only build one megastructure (until later) so it's forcing you down a specific path?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

QuarkJets posted:

Discovering a ruined megastructure or ecumenopolis should start off as a semi-powerful research site. The structure/planet is basically uninhabitable due to the state of decay; it's been sitting there for millions of years and was the result of engineering capabilities far beyond you, of course you can't just move into Fen Habbanis and immediately start up the alloy foundries; not only are they ruined due to neglect but you also wouldn't even know how they work, it's all alien! Discovering one of these lets you build a Xenoarchaeology Post, kind of like an Observation Post but for ancient alien megastructures.
DarkRenown said he hoped to have alien archaeology be a thing going forward, I could see that being rolled up into it. I had a situation where literally the first system by guys encountered was a ruined Dyson sphere, that should have shaped my entire species.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Splicer posted:

DarkRenown said he hoped to have alien archaeology be a thing going forward, I could see that being rolled up into it. I had a situation where literally the first system by guys encountered was a ruined Dyson sphere, that should have shaped my entire species.

I think DR and Mune have been moved to the secret new Victoria 3 project, so my assumption is now that we'd have seen "Alien Archeology" as something in that Dev Diary and we didn't.
Which is a shame.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

I think DR and Mune have been moved to the secret new Victoria 3 project, so my assumption is now that we'd have seen "Alien Archeology" as something in that Dev Diary and we didn't.
Which is a shame.
WIz and Mune moved, DR is our last stellaris goon dev. You're right it wasn't DR who said Alien Archaelogy though it was grekulf:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-141-exploring-the-future.1155962/

Archaeology: Explore the ruins of ancient civilizations

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Splicer posted:

WIz and Mune moved, DR is our last stellaris goon dev. You're right it wasn't DR who said Alien Archaelogy though it was grekulf:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-141-exploring-the-future.1155962/

Archaeology: Explore the ruins of ancient civilizations

Oh that's cool, I was so sure someone that had left had mentioned it in here.
I think I was getting confused about the time someone brought up that finding a ruined structure didn't trigger the "we aren't alone" event.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Taear posted:

Oh that's cool, I was so sure someone that had left had mentioned it in here.
I think I was getting confused about the time someone brought up that finding a ruined structure didn't trigger the "we aren't alone" event.
That was me and it was DarkRenown who replied. Then someone else had the same issue and I couldn't remember DarkRenown's name and somehow I remember all of this but I still forgot I'd made tea until it was all cold and manky.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

According to Darkrenown there is currently a bug with assimilation.

Thanks for this. That did the trick.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I agree on all of those points. Mega Engineering is a bad requirement since it's so late, and gating the structures behind it is frustrating.

I would rather the perk give a huge bonus to researching megastructures as well as force the card if it isn't already researched, and then put each structure behind a new tech.

There's a mod that gates each megastructure behind other existing perks. Navy megastructure behind Galactic Force Projection, science facility behind Tech Ascension, art sculpture behind One Vision, etc.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
So I colonize this planet. Turns out there's abandoned terraforming stuff on it. Flip that switch, whoops turned it into a tomb world and "millions of colonists die". :saddowns:

I'm going to try to colonize it again. Hey, there's a mysterious vault on the planet; let's see what's inside! Oh, it's full of mutants who conquer the planet and the whole colony dies while my armies are en route.

What could possibly go wrong on a third try?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Found a bug that took me surprisingly long to work around/fix.

I was looking through the expansion planner after colonizing a few other worlds, and I was surprised to see a large planet, two jumps from my homeworld, which was the right planet class for my founding species. I immediately thought "how have I not colonized this already?", then saw that the planet already had a planned colony. I didn't have any colony ships under construction or en route, and there didn't seem to be any way to colonize that planet, since I couldn't clear the "planned colony" flag. I even attempted some save game editing, but none of my modifications had any effect.

I finally noticed an out-of-place symbol in the outliner, next to the name of my homeworld starbase (Cevant Station):

I had given the order to colonize that planet in the past, from that planet's screen -- so the colony ship would be built from the nearest shipyard and automatically colonize. I didn't pay attention to which shipyard was building that ship, and replaced it with a trade hub while that colony ship was under construction. Evidently that ship stayed in a phantom shipyard queue, and the only way I found to fix this was to build a new shipyard in that station (then swap it back for a trade hub afterward).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lysidas posted:

Found a bug that took me surprisingly long to work around/fix.

I was looking through the expansion planner after colonizing a few other worlds, and I was surprised to see a large planet, two jumps from my homeworld, which was the right planet class for my founding species. I immediately thought "how have I not colonized this already?", then saw that the planet already had a planned colony. I didn't have any colony ships under construction or en route, and there didn't seem to be any way to colonize that planet, since I couldn't clear the "planned colony" flag. I even attempted some save game editing, but none of my modifications had any effect.

I finally noticed an out-of-place symbol in the outliner, next to the name of my homeworld starbase (Cevant Station):

I had given the order to colonize that planet in the past, from that planet's screen -- so the colony ship would be built from the nearest shipyard and automatically colonize. I didn't pay attention to which shipyard was building that ship, and replaced it with a trade hub while that colony ship was under construction. Evidently that ship stayed in a phantom shipyard queue, and the only way I found to fix this was to build a new shipyard in that station (then swap it back for a trade hub afterward).
Some company got paid for decades for that ship.