Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

doctorfrog posted:

Skipping past anything that doesn’t grab me in the first thirty seconds. So far that’s the robots on vacation, the cats one, and the farmer.

Please don't tell me you skipped Aquila Rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
You can tell me. Aquila Rift was boring and predictable.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

anatomi posted:

The mix of styles in LD&R was super fun. And some of the effects were just insanely good.

It's evident that a lot of talent and effort went into making these shorts visual spectacles. But in the end the elaborate aesthetics just highlight the across the board frankly terrible writing (alright — there are are couple of exceptions).

Nearly all of the shorts suffer heavily from being boys' club productions. Someone said a few posts ago that LD&R was overly heteronormative — that's for loving sure. The gender roles are stale as gently caress, and the (narratively-speaking pointless) sexualisation of and eroticized violence against women is kicked into overdrive. It's trite and it's boring.

Nothing new under the sun, etc. But it does disappoint a bit extra this time, because I read into the trailer and hype a punkish attitude. But there's nothing new or challenging in LD&R. Watch it if you're into animation (or game cutscenes — why the gently caress do people like Suits so much?).

The exceptions:
Helping Hand
Fish Night
Zima Blue

I agree with all this except I thought Good Hunting was pretty good, mostly cause of the setting a combo of time periods, and Fish Night and Zima Blue were unremarkable from a story standpoint.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Zima Blue was visually interesting and inspired a little bit of introspection and thoughtfulness in me. That's pretty good for a ten minute short.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

:agreed:

Aquila Rift spent more time on its videogame sex scene than it did on the actual twist and resolution. It’s bad.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jessica Jones season one was pretty dang good just had pacing issues,
Season 2 is written so bad that characters must have teleported and had psychic powers to arrive where the plot needed them

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:agreed:

Aquila Rift spent more time on its videogame sex scene than it did on the actual twist and resolution. It’s bad.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm a sucker for a twist ending.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Please don't tell me you skipped Aquila Rift.

I watched it, it was ok. I really didn't need the CGI sex scene, though, but I guess that was to bring some great element of horror to the fact that he might not have merely been hallucinating the sex, but actually engaging in it with the space spider. But instead, it was kinda funny. It would have been better had it been like the end of Some Like It Hot, "Well, nobody's perfect!"

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
The space spider reveal makes up for everything on that short, the way it comes out of the shadows and it kinda looks like a tall big breasted alien and then nooooooope!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Iwan Rheon as Mick Mars can't even save The Dirt. It's as tedious as Bohemian Rhapsody but with obviously worse music. Do Not Watch.

The Disappearance of Madeline McCann though, holy poo poo :stare:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1109098719402737666

Looks like The Criterion Channel got all the original content produced for Filmstruck, plus they have films from the major studios... just in the first month, films from Warner (Mildred Pierce and True Stories), MGM (Blue Velvet), Sony (Punch-Drunk Love, Easy Rider), Paramount (Rosemary's Baby), and Universal (Do the Right Thing and Being John Malkovich).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Amy Schumer's new Netflix special is solid. I'm not normally a huge fan, especially of the one she did for HBO but I enjoyed this one and thought it was pretty consistently funny.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Has anyone been brave enough to check out season 2 of The OA yet?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So Mirage is basically Frequency, except they're not related.

Tainen posted:

Someone in the TVIV chat thread said it's about gamers being like drug addicts or something.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 23, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tainen posted:

Seriously, I'm afraid to watch it but I want to know. Can someone take one for the team?

Edit: I watched the first episode but I don't know what to say. It seemed good for the first two thirds, but then it went in a direction that I'm not sure I like.

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 23, 2019

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Since Hulu is 5.99 now and Netflix is going up in price I am thinking about dropping Netflix for Hulu. Is this a huge mistake? Has anyone else done this and been happy with it. Is the best strategy just cancel Netlix for a couple of months and then resub for a month and binge everything I missed.. I think I just answered my own question.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
Hulu is crap for movies but great for TV. Original content is hit or miss but I will ride or die for Future Man.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

pr0p posted:

Hulu is crap for movies but great for TV. Original content is hit or miss but I will ride or die for Future Man.

The email I got today said that its going up to 12.99 for two screen HD, but still only 8.99 for one screen standard. Would I really be able to tell the difference between HD and Standard if I watch mostly on my monitor or a really old lovely TV?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

loudog999 posted:

The email I got today said that its going up to 12.99 for two screen HD, but still only 8.99 for one screen standard. Would I really be able to tell the difference between HD and Standard if I watch mostly on my monitor or a really old lovely TV?

HD only makes a difference on HD flatscreens. I've seen a few CRT TVs that claim to be HD, but honestly, they're SD. If you have an old monitor, don't worry about it.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I couldn't drop Netflix with more Santa Clarita Diet coming.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Netflix is only good for some of their top tier original series. But being honest they have been missing more than hitting lately. Haven't ventured with Hulu in a while being honest. Not sure if they have anything good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here in Asia, Netflix actually has a HD-less mobile-only subscribtion as the lowest tier.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hulu does get great movies sometimes, just not in the quantity Netflix does. Off the top of my head, recently they've had Ingrid Goes West, Hunt for the Wilderpeople, I Tonya, Three Identical Strangers, Tabloid, etc. I think most if not all those are still on there too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Hulu’s movie selection tends to be a bit more eclectic than most and it helps, whereas Netflix’s selection is almost entirely Originals, former blockbusters, or z-grade garbage. I usually find more to watch on Hulu each month than Netflix or even HBO.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hulu is actually a really good deal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hulu had some crazy promotion recently that offered a year’s subscription for $1/m, which I got in on

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Hulu also has a lot of great trashy tv if that's your bag. Like 30 seasons of Survivor, Jersey Shore, a bunch of Cutthroat Kitchen and Gordon Ramsay shows, etc

Hulu kind of owns really

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

precision posted:

Iwan Rheon as Mick Mars can't even save The Dirt. It's as tedious as Bohemian Rhapsody but with obviously worse music. Do Not Watch.

The Disappearance of Madeline McCann though, holy poo poo :stare:

The fun part of opinions I guess, I had the exact opposite reaction.

The Dirt I found really entertainig and want to watch it again, but then I have seen Mötley Crüe twice so might be biased. My wife does not care for rock music though and also liked it.

Madeline McCann was something that could have been (and has been) done in a 2 hour documentary, but they strung it out for whatever reason. Nothing new came to light, the pace was glacial and packed out with barely relevant detail at points. Maybe because I remember it at the time and have seen similar stuff before I was jaded to it.

Whilst very different propositions though I would say we both watched The Dirt intensely with phones nowhere to be seen, where as by episode two of the McCann thing both of us were 'phone watching'.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Steve Yun posted:

Hulu had some crazy promotion recently that offered a year’s subscription for $1/m, which I got in on

I got this on black Friday, it rules. It was worth it for King of The Hill alone.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of Hulu, their new original Shrill with Aidy Bryant was really good.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, they have some really good deals like that sometimes but for most of them you’re ineligible if you already have an active subscription. I canceled mine for a while, but the new Spotify premium deal brought me back since I was already paying for Spotify anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Yeah, they have some really good deals like that sometimes but for most of them you’re ineligible if you already have an active subscription. I canceled mine for a while, but the new Spotify premium deal brought me back since I was already paying for Spotify anyway.

I had no idea Spotify was doing this until I saw somebody post about it today. I use Spotify on my phone every day but I never would have known if I hadn't seen someone else talking about it.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Fallom posted:

I had no idea Spotify was doing this until I saw somebody post about it today. I use Spotify on my phone every day but I never would have known if I hadn't seen someone else talking about it.

I actually got a pop up in the Spotify app the other day saying I was getting Hulu with my subscription.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Fallom posted:

Yeah, I use it every day too but I didn't realize until I read about it somewhere else. If you already have a Hulu subscription you just have to change the billing over.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Thanks for saving me some money

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tainen posted:

I actually got a pop up in the Spotify app the other day saying I was getting Hulu with my subscription.

Really? Got any details on this?

been using google play because it comes with Youtube red but I'd much rather have free Hulu.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

veni veni veni posted:

Really? Got any details on this?

been using google play because it comes with Youtube red but I'd much rather have free Hulu.

Go to your Spotify account overview page, there should be a thing for Hulu up top.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What’s going on with the animation in the Witness episode of love death and robots? Is it just live actors that they stylized in post production?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

veni veni veni posted:

What’s going on with the animation in the Witness episode of love death and robots? Is it just live actors that they stylized in post production?
It's all keyframed according to the studio. No rotoscoping involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Piell posted:

Go to your Spotify account overview page, there should be a thing for Hulu up top.

Unfortunately it's not offered with the family plan like I have. I've been waiting for them to change that but so far they haven't.