Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

MMF Freeway posted:

The skill Vault Over says it allows you to do a backstab in the middle of combat without using stealth. But they already have to have their posture broken to do it so what's the advantage of a backstab over a normal deathblow?

There are other (really good) skills , including one unmissable one from a story boss that only proc off a backstab deathblow. It shouldn't make any difference to you right now before you unlock those but eventually that ability will come in handy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
defeated seven spears, the iaido guy, and both purple ninjas

think that's enough for one day

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

boogiepop posted:

the fat dude with the bell is one enemy that you can use the spear on to yank his armor off - his posture meter basically evaporates with a couple of slaps after that

Wow really? He is right there next to those guys so that makes sense but I didn't even think of that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Soni realise why I have no scrap. I missed two entire areas at Hirata (including the dreaded purple ninja who I trounced at this stage) and now I can upgrade things!

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
The fat dude who swings a big bell around is so fun to practise parrying on. It's something about the way it's animated or the physics of it that make it super easy to read and get the timing right

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Baiard posted:

While I've been parrying some enemies based on predilection, I don't think you need to use it all that often. The prosthetic tool is amazingly useful. Nearly every boss and miniboss can be stunned will the oil/fire combo or tossing firecrackers in their face. I also tend to abuse the mario head stomp since vertical attacks are rare. Just use the right tool for the job and you don't need to become some technical bushido master.

Yeah I think people neglecting prosthetics will have a really really tough time on this game. Most of the status effects they apply work on bosses, and when it comes to normal areas they do wonders when you're surrounded. The upgraded versions get infinitely cooler too -- there's a reason spirit emblems are dirt cheap and drop all the time, use your drat prosthetics

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

No Mods No Masters posted:

The virgin step dodge vs the chad jump away while blocking

This a thousand times. It adds a couple vulnerable moments at the beginning of your jump and at the end but being able to block and create distance at the same time is incredibly powerful . Positioning is everything

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

boogiepop posted:

the fat dude with the bell is one enemy that you can use the spear on to yank his armor off - his posture meter basically evaporates with a couple of slaps after that

really? I was wondering about the same thing, and he seemed like a likely candidate but I swear he 1) was naked and 2) had no reaction to the spear.

I ended up just stealth killing him :iiam:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

goferchan posted:

Yeah I think people neglecting prosthetics will have a really really tough time on this game. Most of the status effects they apply work on bosses, and when it comes to normal areas they do wonders when you're surrounded. The upgraded versions get infinitely cooler too -- there's a reason spirit emblems are dirt cheap and drop all the time, use your drat prosthetics

I haven't even picked up the firecrackers yet. Are they useful?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
folks, this loving rifle granny was bad the first time. she didn't get any more fun to fight when i had to banish her even deeper into hell. worst goddamn fight in the game so far and she's the one that miyazaki decided needed an encore.

tilted as h*ck rn

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Pylons posted:

They will stun enemies briefly, and are particularly powerful against beast enemies.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pylons posted:

they scare the bejesus out of animals, so they're very useful for a couple of bosses

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just one and done the loving (probably mid game?) giant monkey lmao. What a finish! That was tense because I was like "I'll get a feel for it and come back" then I got a sniff of a win.

E: I paused the game after and it's COME BACK TO LIFE AND WIELDING A SWORD AAAAAAAAA

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

folks, this loving rifle granny was bad the first time. she didn't get any more fun to fight when i had to banish her even deeper into hell. worst goddamn fight in the game so far and she's the one that miyazaki decided needed an encore.

tilted as h*ck rn

The vast majority of the miniboss enemies show up 2+ times, so I can't regard that one as any more of a gently caress you than, say, the dozen identical headless assholes waiting around in every deep hole in this nightmare earth

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JBP posted:

Just one and done the loving (probably mid game?) giant monkey lmao. What a finish! That was tense because I was like "I'll get a feel for it and come back" then I got a sniff of a win.

E: I paused the game after and it's COME BACK TO LIFE AND WIELDING A SWORD AAAAAAAAA

yeah join the club friend

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

JBP posted:

you: hooray i won

monkey: *presses R1*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah join the club friend

I laughed like an idiot. It was pretty awesome and I did not see it coming.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pylons posted:

Against certain enemies they're incredibly strong, yes . Once upgraded they become pretty generally useful against everyone

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sekiro

is good

Light early miniboss spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZJvQJ7yQ8Q

The moment when you start seeing what actually happens in a fight instead of just hammering buttons is ZEN

Cant wait to get better at this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ok, so I've hit several dead-ends and from my experience with Bloodborne and having things double back on themselves I feel like I'm missing something as I'm kinda out of things to do as far as I can tell:

Mt. Kongo, made it to the top, there's a door I can't open from inside the temple, other path leads through a cave with a shrine that gave me an upgrade, nothing else I can do there.
Ashina Outskirts, made it to the cave behind the Gun Fort to the inside of a shrine building but the door doesn't open, the caves under the floorboards lead to nothing.
Mido, after the Corrupted Monk I went to a large area where I got a Key Item that I don't see a use for and there's nothing else to do there.

I've found several Headless, and the Wizard dude but none of them seem to be blocking anything and just seem to be optional.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

s.i.r.e. posted:

Ok, so I've hit several dead-ends and from my experience with Bloodborne and having things double back on themselves I feel like I'm missing something as I'm kinda out of things to do as far as I can tell:

Mt. Kongo, made it to the top, there's a door I can't open from inside the temple, other path leads through a cave with a shrine that gave me an upgrade, nothing else I can do there.
Ashina Outskirts, made it to the cave behind the Gun Fort to the inside of a shrine building but the door doesn't open, the caves under the floorboards lead to nothing.
Mido, after the Corrupted Monk I went to a large area where I got a Key Item that I don't see a use for and there's nothing else to do there.

I've found several Headless, and the Wizard dude but none of them seem to be blocking anything and just seem to be optional.

Have you been to the top of the castle? Also check the area with gold Buddhas near the locked door if so.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I tell you what though I'm pretty excited to see what happens in a few months once the speedrunning community swarms all over this game and just breaks the entire thing over its knee

even though realistically speaking that's probably going to look like somebody standing at a corner of the dilapidated temple, doing a charge attack, turning three degrees to the left, then doing a charge attack, jump, and shuriken throw to somehow mysteriously clip into the final boss arena

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

I'm glad I bought digital edition because otherwise I think I'd be at this point. Got drunkard and lady butterfly + armored warrior, but seven spears and jinsuke just wrecking my poo poo. It doesn't even feel like I have a path forward with these dudes unlike other mini bosses up to this point.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

This bull pissin me right off

I feel like the next attempt or two will be successful since I've found a somewhat safe opening to get in one single attack at a time, but I feel like I'm missing some more strategic possibility (of course I'm using firecrackers but those dry up less than halfway through the fight.)

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I'm loving this game and I really, really enjoy the flow of combat. Parrying/deflecting/whatever is just so satisfying.

Interestingly, I never got parrying to work right in any souls game I ever played but in this game it felt natural to me. I think maybe this is because I played a lot of Ninja Gaiden (the one on the Xbox) and Revengeance?

Anyway, just beat Genichiro and man was that a fun fight.

Deflecting is so satisfying. It feels like you're in a ninja/samurai movie with all these sword clashing noises. Each person deflecting the other's hits until one gets the upper hand then WHAM, sword through the neck.

Vasler fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 24, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

enojy posted:

I feel like the next attempt or two will be successful since I've found a somewhat safe opening to get in one single attack at a time, but I feel like I'm missing some more strategic possibility (of course I'm using firecrackers but those dry up less than halfway through the fight.)

if you parry the bull's long-distance charge, it'll trip itself up and stay vulnerable for a little longer

the charge's timing is pretty easy, it always scrapes the earth with its "horns" before the hit lands

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

I was in the same boat. Did you talk to the little dude after beating Genichiro? He's downstairs from that shrine (also there's a ninja door from sculptors shrine that leads there). At top of Mt. Kongo, in the room with all the insect corpses there's a table with an interactable on it. I did it in that order, I don't know if one thing triggers the other.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I just cheesed a boss (Ashina Castle spoilers) in the Depths by having him kill himself in a poison pond as he shuffled around trying to get a shot off on me. I didn't feel like fighting a boss that could take 80% of my health in 1 hit and his 4 friends so I feel no guilt in cheesing him

Except now this shamisen girl is kicking my rear end. I know she's optional but I'm guessing I need to come back waaaaaaaaay later to fight this girl

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

hey does anyone know how to sneak attack the (divine sanctum boss) corrupted monk? i was able to do it once, but never was able to do it again afterwards.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Funkameleon posted:

I was in the same boat. Did you talk to the little dude after beating Genichiro? He's downstairs from that shrine (also there's a ninja door from sculptors shrine that leads there). At top of Mt. Kongo, in the room with all the insect corpses there's a table with an interactable on it. I did it in that order, I don't know if one thing triggers the other.

I talked to the kid, and there's no table I can interact with in the shrine, I probably already did it. The one in front of the dude you can talk to right?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The horse boss really is a tutorial for blocking. Blocking all his attacks deals surprisingly little posture damage. Wait until his 3-4 hit combo is over and get some hits in. And be sure to capitalize and grapple to him for a hit or two when it pops up for big posture damage.

This.

Mind this post. Block that fucker's attacks, he's weak as poo poo, unlike the boss directly after him which damages on block and needs to be parried.

Firecrackers work against many bosses, but also when in doubt, throw oil on them and then BURNNNNNNNNNNNNN

hosed that flaming bull up btw. He was a piece of cake once I started parrying and running around like a maniac. He actually can't do much to you if you move fast. Took 5 tries or less. The boss fights in this game are some of the most dynamic, exciting and brilliant boss fights I've ever played.

Control Volume posted:

Combat and bosses in this game got a lot easier when I realized I can sprint indefinitely and circle strafing never works

Always sprint. Never stop.

queeb posted:

Getting into the flow of parrying a boss is so satisfying.

It's like Zen + Cocaine

rio posted:

I am really loving the bitter, vitriolic posts online about this game. I mean I expected it - the same thing happened with DS games, particularly 3 but that was people who maybe didn’t know what to expect, hadn’t played the series etc. This time though it’s “I am a master soulsborne player and this game is trash. I am dying all the time but I promise that’s not the reason I hate it!” So not only am I getting entertainment from the game itself but these posts (not here really, but elsewhere) are fun as well.

:same:

Regy Rusty posted:

Personally I still consider it a souls type game. Most of the skills I learned from those are what helps me here, I just had to adjust like I did with bloodborne.

If we're tracing Sekiro's lineage from bloodsouls then it's not a souls game, it's a blood game

Ciaphas posted:

But let's talk turkey here: it's been a day or two, what're the problems with the game people are hitting so far? (technical, gameplay, whatever)

I have zero issues. I think it's straight up one of the most exhilerating games I've ever played.

Turtlicious posted:

I think it's official Sekiro is the worst dark souls.

Turtlicious posted:

You die in 1 to 2 hits from pretty much everything.
The bosses have disjointed one shot KO's
The story is almost non existent

Turtlicious posted:

It's almost like it's a bad game or something.

I've never parried 3 terrible posts so easily!

Your Computer posted:

Hanbei is the best.

his body is ready :unsmith:

:stwoon:

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'm enjoying the game but the difficulty is more severe compared to Souls so I can understand how people are getting frustrated. More than Souls the worse you do in Sekiro, the worse things get, and there's not a good way to get out of that spiral except bashing your face until you get it.

Not really.

The Walrus posted:

I fight with no honour. oil and fire in the face for all.

:hai:

enojy posted:

Open the fight by casting fire resist on yourself then by dousing him with oil and FIRE!!!!

Then never stop moving, get up in his face, sprint and quickstep like a madman. Avoid blocking if possible due to damage, parry those hits and cast firecrackers if you need an opening. Because of his garbage turning radius fighting him is a lot like fighting Vordt in DS3 with no shield.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Where should I be going after beating the Chained Ogre on the stairs and then the boss in the area by the Headless side path and the other dead ends?

Did you ever find out where to go? Near the broken bridge after Ogre & General there's a bonfire down and to the left which will take you to thy next foe, the opposite direction from Headless :ninja:

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 24, 2019

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Strats I've kinda sorta developed for Rifle Granny aka Snake Eyes whatever:

Spawn in, quickly drop-kill the first cannon fucker so you don't miss the patrol cycle, crouch for a bit until RG isn't on the verge of aggro, Tarzan onto the island with your grappling hook and rush down the second cannon fucker. You have a second or two opportunity to assassinate him even after aggro procs, make it count. In the end I managed to do this semi-reliably

Equip shurikens in order to help you keep the pressure on

Rush her down into the fog wall cave. You've still kind of got enough room to maneuver but she's not going to gently caress off into the poison swamp and wait for her stagger meter to reset. On the other hand there is an increased risk of sniper aggro.

Your basic assault strat is to dodge to her right / your left. Once you get the rhythm of the cannon swings down you're most of the way to mastering this fight. Particularly when she runs at you you're going to get either a single overhead swing or two swings followed by a delayed swing.

Grab attack is some loving bullshit but it's her only Perilous Attack and that fake-out timing actually makes it pretty slow, so back-dodge twice the moment you see red kanji and you should be able to avoid it 10/10 times. Fire a shuriken or two while the animation plays out, I mean you've got nothing better to do during that time right?

Kick means she's going to follow up with a rifle shot, have your block up. If you're in melee range when this happens then you're in a perfect spot to punish, but do block instead of trying to dodge.

Pay attention if she reloads, she's going to fire a quick shot at you. Be ready to block.

Long-charging smoking shots will pierce your block but they don't track at all. If you've been guarding for a second or two and no shot is coming then dodge sideways and it'll whiff.

Otherwise idk I guess just relentlessly attack but be prepared to back-dodge once the punish begins. I'm sure there's some sort of flash color / sound effect cue that a retaliation is coming that's burned into my reflexes now but hosed if I know what it is.

It's still a loving garbage fight and I wish an embarassing skin rash on the person who created it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sapozhnik posted:

It's still a loving garbage fight and I wish an embarassing skin rash on the person who created it.

For real, it was fun when I did the fight again in another area, oh the joy.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oh god, I have to talk to Kuro several times to advance this bullshit. Real dumb From.

ArgaWarga
Apr 8, 2005

dare to fail gloriously

Holy poo poo the Tengu/nightjar ninjas scared the crap out of me.... multiple times.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Did you ever find out where to go? Near the broken bridge after Ogre & General there's a bonfire down and to the left which will take you to thy next foe, the opposite direction from Headless :ninja:

As always BP you’re the best. Thanks! Not sure how I missed that. I was coming up empty everywhere I looked.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Did you all poke the snake in the eye?. Because I did and I don't know if that was like a requirement to proceed in the game but it felt really satisfying.

Also gently caress the small straw hat dudes. That fight was loving annoying oh my god.

Also, huge tip for the raging bull - stay on his rear right leg and just hit away, he won't be able to hit you.

And a question: After the raging bull, I got killed by the multiple soldiers that come at me with spears, and respawned inside the castle. What's up with that? There was no cutscene or anything, just respawned in a bridge with the "thank the gods" woman sitting there.

orange sky fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 24, 2019

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
corrupted monk is a big pushover if you just move away and whiff punish

probably would have been more fun to kill fighting more directly. I think I will next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really want to know why I need to farm prosthetic arm charges after running out. Like, I cannot think of a single logical reason for it not to automatically charge when you rest. Stuck on a boss? Better waste 5 minutes killing mooks in between.