Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Discendo Vox posted:

Let me ask, for the purpose of my interminable rewrite project:

Which infected animal enemies should stay in modern RE remakes, and which should go? This applies to the whole series.

All should stay, none should go. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Discendo Vox posted:

Which infected animal enemies should stay in modern RE remakes, and which should go? This applies to the whole series.

All of them should stay. ALL OF THEM.

Now give me that loving Zombelephant.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Keep the zombie monkeys from 0. That poo poo is funny.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

All of them should stay. ALL OF THEM.

Now give me that loving Zombelephant.

The zoo level of Outbreak 2 was probably my favorite. Alligators, bugs, lions, the elephant, hornbills, hyenas.

Hauling rear end away from that elephant was intense.

My proposed Josh/Billy team-up game would definitely have a zoo or like, a wildlife preserve as a level. Can Josh suplex a mutated rhinoceros?!

Also an abandoned candy factory. Just because more evil organizations should have one as a front.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Josh and Billy in a teamup would be...tricky. Neither's had much space to develop, and I was going to kill Billy off in CV since he was basically replacing/merging with Steve.

...this would give me an excuse to set up that absurd biodome plotline from the novels, I suppose.

...another thread poll:
Who is the worst character in the resident evil series?

Who is the weakest character in the resident evil series?

edit: dangit, don't just say steve for both

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 23, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

steve and also steve

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

LadyPictureShow posted:

Also an abandoned candy factory. Just because more evil organizations should have one as a front.

In retrospect, why hasn't there been a Resident Evil villain who's really just an aggressively malevolent Willy Wonka?

Discendo Vox posted:

"Weak" requires explanation. It's a franchise that's been going for 23 years as of today, but the characters who are closest to its protagonists are still largely treated as ciphers. Leon's probably gotten the most characterization and there's still a lot that's never been established about him.

If you just mean a flat, one-dimensional character, then the actual answer would be somebody like Bruce. If you restrict it to the central games, then it's probably Ethan.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dewgy posted:

All should stay, none should go. :colbert:
Definitely. Now, I love the overly excitable puppy-style spiders, but if you wanted to cut enemies for being a bit goofy I suppose they would have to go. Though then they should just be replaced by spider-men, in the style of the chimeras.

Discendo Vox posted:

Irving.

Discendo Vox posted:

Sherry. Can't even move the lever after the G1 fight, while Claire does so easily.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Wanderer posted:

"Weak" requires explanation. It's a franchise that's been going for 23 years as of today, but the characters who are closest to its protagonists are still largely treated as ciphers. Leon's probably gotten the most characterization and there's still a lot that's never been established about him.

I'm being ambiguous intentionally to see how different people parse it.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Wanderer posted:

In retrospect, why hasn't there been a Resident Evil villain who's really just an aggressively malevolent Willy Wonka?

Honestly, I could see a candy factory as something Alfred Ashford would have bought just for the Hell of it. And then placed an evil lab beneath it.

E:

Discendo Vox posted:

...another thread poll:

Jessica for worst.

Jim for weakest (if we're going by fortitude not physical strength)
I mean, how many other characters wail 'My life is poo poo!' when faced with zombies and other mutant horrors and plays dead to defend himself?

I feel like we'd all be a Jim (if you're a little less cowardly, you might get bumped up to Yoko or Cindy)

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 23, 2019

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

...another thread poll:

edit: dangit, don't just say steve for both

I'm torn between Alex Wesker and Alice for worst.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

Honestly, I could see a candy factory as something Alfred Ashford would have bought just for the Hell of it. And then placed an evil lab beneath it.
Due to a candy shortage on Halloween, an enterprising mid-level manager at an Umbrella subsidary decides to sell off the "discarded" product that unbeknownst to him is actually just candy-coated virus/embryo/parasite samples.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Due to a candy shortage on Halloween, an enterprising mid-level manager at an Umbrella subsidary decides to sell off the "discarded" product that unbeknownst to him is actually just candy-coated virus/embryo/parasite samples.

If the enemies had abilities based on what virus-candy someone ate, I would buy the poo poo out of the game.

Like the jelly baby enemies would behave like leech men, rock candy would be highly impervious to damage, Mary Janes have an insta-kill move, etc.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
There were a couple of episodes of Adventure Time that had an outbreak of candy people zombies which was also due to inadvisably applied science.

Gnome de plume fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 23, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Discendo Vox posted:

The dogs really have to stay, simply because they're too iconic of the series at this point to realistically get rid of them. I'd appreciate keeping the crows, simply because they're very atmospheric.

Something I think a lot of people would be happy to see gone would be the insects, though, particularly the spiders. I've heard more than a few people say that they can't play the older titles because the spiders just wig them out too much. They really don't add a lot besides being one of the few enemies that can actually poison you, so I think it wouldn't be a loss if they stayed cut.

Discendo Vox posted:

[b]Who is the worst character in the resident evil series?
Albert Wesker. No, I'm not kidding. You can't imagine how annoyed I was by the way his background just kept becoming more and more absurd. From corrupt cop to superpowered super-genius to test-tube baby created by Umbrella as an experiment in literally breeding their own future workforce or something stupid like that.

By the end of his life, Wesker was all but literally a fanfiction come to life. The series is objectively better off for finally having gotten rid of him.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Cardiovorax posted:

Albert Wesker. No, I'm not kidding. You can't imagine how annoyed I was by the way his background just kept becoming more and more absurd. From corrupt cop to superpowered super-genius to test-tube baby created by Umbrella as an experiment in literally breeding their own future workforce or something stupid like that.

By the end of his life, Wesker was all but literally a fanfiction come to life. The series is objectively better off for finally having gotten rid of him.

:hmmyes:

But I'm still going to say Steve on both counts.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

For the worst character...I'm gonna go with Chris. He's been in a lot of titles, as well as the representative in RE crossovers like MvC, but it's just that he's still so completely boring. For someone you'd say is one of the faces of the franchise, there's really not that much going for him. RE6 tried to give him some drama with the lost partners, but it bungled the execution by not having Chris be the one to sacrifice himself in the end. Even the boulder punch felt like it was good more because of how absurd it was, rather than because it was Chris being interesting.

For the weakest character...I'll go with Alex Wesker. Her primary goal is basically to run away from death. So she spent time, effort and a fortune taking over a remote island to turn into a place to conduct her experiments on the virus that triggers when someone's afraid, all to find the perfect host for her consciousness to go to. The only thing left to do was for her to infect herself with the virus and willingly die. So she shoots herself on the head with a gun...and she flinched at the last second. And then the virus mutates her body, revives her and now Alex can't stand the idea that she failed, that the person she copied her consciousness onto is running around and could see what a failure Alex has become.

In a series where heroes and antagonists all have some measure of resolve to face the conflict, Alex Wesker is someone pretending she's cool as ice but is secretly afraid deep inside.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
No spiders?! Nah, bring back the spiders and a spider or [animal]+spider boss.

They need a redesign though because all I recall about them in REmake is being spooked the first encounter, and annoyed that they spit as I ran past their slow asses on every subsequent encounter.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Andrigaar posted:

They need a redesign though because all I recall about them in REmake is being spooked the first encounter, and annoyed that they spit as I ran past their slow asses on every subsequent encounter.

Cosign on the spiders. I love getting skeeved out by them. A couple in the sewers in RE2 would have been cool.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

amigolupus posted:

In a series where heroes and antagonists all have some measure of resolve to face the conflict, Alex Wesker is someone pretending she's cool as ice but is secretly afraid deep inside.
I took the point of the question to be more "weakly characterized" than "weak as a person," so personally, I actually kind of put Alex near the top of better characters in the series - the fact that you can even say this kind of thing about her makes her incredibly well-defined in an IP that is otherwise mostly dominated by cardboard cutouts. She's one of the most well-characterized individuals in the entire series if only by virtue of getting any meaningful characterization at all.

Like, I feel like I know more about how Alex thinks, what she feels and what she's afraid of than I know about Chris' entire life, and she's at best a bit character and the villain of a spinoff game. The one time you even really see her, she shoots herself in the head, but she still feels like more of a person than Albert Wesker in the entirety of Resident Evil 1. That really says a lot about these games.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I actually kind of put Alex near the top of better characters in the series
Agreed.

Andrigaar posted:

They should make a game where you're a regular spider having to survive a zombie spider apocalypse.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You could control the spider in SimAnt, which functioned to the same effect

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

I took the point of the question to be more "weakly characterized" than "weak as a person," so personally, I actually kind of put Alex near the top of better characters in the series - the fact that you can even say this kind of thing about her makes her incredibly well-defined in an IP that is otherwise mostly dominated by cardboard cutouts. She's one of the most well-characterized individuals in the entire series if only by virtue of getting any meaningful characterization at all.

Like, I feel like I know more about how Alex thinks, what she feels and what she's afraid of than I know about Chris' entire life, and she's at best a bit character and the villain of a spinoff game. The one time you even really see her, she shoots herself in the head, but she still feels like more of a person than Albert Wesker in the entirety of Resident Evil 1. That really says a lot about these games.

I agree with all you've said, and I really like Alex as the antagonist. She's got clearly defined goals (unlike Ada) and she's got a well thought-out plan to achieve it (unlike Saddler). Discendo Vox did say they left it ambiguous how we interpret their, so I interpreted it in the "weak as a person" way. :shobon:

I just really love the writing and characters in Rev2. It's so good! :allears: The scene where you meet her as Claire and she just shoots herself threw me for a loop. You're fully expecting her to mutate then and get a boss fight, but no, that's it. You don't get the satisfaction of fighting her and you're just left going "Wait, what??????" And fighting her in the finale with Barry and Claire was so cathartic.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Started Claire B after finishing Leon A, and...wow, this is a much rougher go. Seems like it's always a sprint since Big McLargehuge won't go away for three seconds.

Although it seems he won't ever go into the Main Hall secret passage, which makes me laugh since he'll just repeatedly stomp up, glare, stomp off like "I'm not slightly bending over to fit in there, gently caress this"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

Started Claire B after finishing Leon A, and...wow, this is a much rougher go. Seems like it's always a sprint since Big McLargehuge won't go away for three seconds.

Although it seems he won't ever go into the Main Hall secret passage, which makes me laugh since he'll just repeatedly stomp up, glare, stomp off like "I'm not slightly bending over to fit in there, gently caress this"

If Capcom does an RE3Make, I fully hope something like this happens where if you wait to taunt and laugh at Nemesis while he glares at you from the outside...he then reveals he can bend over to fit through the door just fine.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

how does RE2 Remake handle Mr. X being available to show up in the lobby where the typewriter is? so far as i know that is the only save room he can get into in the entire game.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

amigolupus posted:

If Capcom does an RE3Make, I fully hope something like this happens where if you wait to taunt and laugh at Nemesis while he glares at you from the outside...he then reveals he can bend over to fit through the door just fine.

Or just grab you with his tentacle whip and pull you out.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

amigolupus posted:

I agree with all you've said, and I really like Alex as the antagonist. She's got clearly defined goals (unlike Ada) and she's got a well thought-out plan to achieve it (unlike Saddler). Discendo Vox did say they left it ambiguous how we interpret their, so I interpreted it in the "weak as a person" way. :shobon:
You made a good point of it, too. No one is this obsessed with fear except for a coward. She's so terrified and obsessed with running from death that she never even takes a moment to realize how incredibly stupid her plan is, because in the end, the only thing she succeeds at is trying to kill herself while a copy of herself keeps on ticking. Hell, she's even more afraid of being afraid than she is afraid of death - her "perfect vessel" isn't selected for any required physical traits, it's selected for its inability to feel fear. If that doesn't tell you absolutely everything you could ever need to know about her, I don't what will.

Revelations 2 is pretty funny to me just for the blasé way it short-circuits the whole "is the clone real or is it not" identity debate, by just keeping them both around and having neither be happy with the outcome at all.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DeathChicken posted:

Was fooling around with this bit of the game, watching him clomp back and forth across the doorway gazing in with murderous intent, swatting the zombies away each time. But what I wasn't expecting was some crazy one-legged bitch to lunge up from the floor at me and clear some 15ft distance, hurling herself past me and into the loving save room.

Unsurprisingly, this led to me watching a pathetic attempt at escaping the "no go zone". It was one sorry sight to see this crippled thing struggle to get back into the play area, just turning in circles making angry biting noises. In the end I just melted the fucker with an acid round.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

rabidsquid posted:

how does RE2 Remake handle Mr. X being available to show up in the lobby where the typewriter is? so far as i know that is the only save room he can get into in the entire game.

From my very limited testing, it seems like if he's too physically close to you, the prompts to activate the typewriter (possibly also the item box?) simply won't pop up. But as long as he's not within a certain distance, you can still use them, even if he's currently chasing you. I guess they just want to avoid anybody loading a save where there's no chance of avoiding an attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

From my very limited testing, it seems like if he's too physically close to you, the prompts to activate the typewriter (possibly also the item box?) simply won't pop up. But as long as he's not within a certain distance, you can still use them, even if he's currently chasing you. I guess they just want to avoid anybody loading a save where there's no chance of avoiding an attack.

Yeah, I don't think it's possible to save in an unwinnable situation at least when it comes to Mr. X. They seem pretty careful about that.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The voice acting from OG RE brings me so much joy 23 years on.

Barry: Do you think we can see Tyrant now? 🤔

Jill: Barry, you're so optimistic. 😏

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The voice acting from OG RE brings me so much joy 23 years on.

Barry: Do you think we can see Tyrant now? 🤔

Jill: Barry, you're so optimistic. 😏
If you like that, you'll get a kick out of this: Resident Evil Porn (not NSFW)

Makes me laugh every time.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
There's also Daikatana's "Suck it Down". Which is still the first one of these I've come across.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Holt poo poo are you kidding me with these ghost survivor runs? The training ones are way too easy but the regular ones seem impossible. Especially the orphanage one. The bus and the basketball court with 3 lickers...how?

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

BiggerBoat posted:

Holt poo poo are you kidding me with these ghost survivor runs? The training ones are way too easy but the regular ones seem impossible. Especially the orphanage one. The bus and the basketball court with 3 lickers...how?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BiggerBoat posted:

On the basketball court, you can walk straight past the lickers, knife the grounded zombie to death, collect its key, and go back out without firing a shot. Stealth it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ghost Survivor mode is like the Resident Evil version of "I want to be the guy."

You walk down a corridor, there is a zombie with an explosive pack. You shoot him and he explodes.
The next thing you know a Licker jumps out and murders you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Ghost Survivor mode is like the Resident Evil version of "I want to be the guy."

You walk down a corridor, there is a zombie with an explosive pack. You shoot him and he explodes.
The next thing you know a Licker jumps out and murders you.

the trick, of course, being to shoot the zombie in the ankle until he falls over and use the explosive to kill both him and the licker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Come on Capcom give us Ghost Survivors Vol. 2 with Chief Irons, Annette Birkin and Marvin.