Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I would pay for a full-length Marvin DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Oxxidation posted:

the trick, of course, being to shoot the zombie in the ankle until he falls over and use the explosive to kill both him and the licker

But that's not the problem. It's that it's not until you play it and discover that it's a series of deadly puzzles to spring on you. Which very often results in you dying and having to start from scratch.

Still it was free.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Contingency Plan posted:

Come on Capcom give us Ghost Survivors Vol. 2 with Chief Irons, Annette Birkin and Marvin.

Seconding this.

My kid got me RE5 for my birthday and I hadn't played it in forever even though I remember liking it

Not so much now. My AI partner is always getting in my way, there's no real survival horror feel since it's all action and, worst of all, every environment looks exactly the same. So hard to get lost and disoriented even though it's rather linear. I like the fast enemies and the intense pace of it at times when they bum rush you but they go down way to easy and careful head shots barely matter.

The menus are a tad confusing but that may be because I've been playing RE2. I just hate how BROWN everything is. There's no atmosphere the way there is in 1, 2, 4 and 7. I dig the ramshackle shanty town thing but it seems that's there is.

I remembered I still have RE4 and may give that one another go since I forget so much about it. It's the 360 version so hopefully it'll run on Xbone.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

But that's not the problem. It's that it's not until you play it and discover that it's a series of deadly puzzles to spring on you. Which very often results in you dying and having to start from scratch.

it was very funny when i made it to the end of Runaway and found out you needed to acquire both Old Keys to get around the jail hall packed solid with zombies

i stood at that locked door with all of the zombies breathing on the back of my neck and i laughed very hard, at this good joke

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Contingency Plan posted:

Come on Capcom give us Ghost Survivors Vol. 2 with Akuma, Annette Birkin and Marvin.

FTFY.

C'mon, Capcom. Turn that old hoax into reality.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Found this amusing RE 2 Remake video here. It involves a certain situation with Mr. X and post-game-beaten content in case there's someone who wants to avoid all spoilers, even now. Will also spoil my question.

So, will this actually happen in game if you unlock the rocket launcher (ie, it will make Mr. X retreat)? Or, as a somewhat confusing comment said, was the player just taking advantage of a certain location (where the ground breaks in the library) and Mr. X's pathing AI (he won't walk over it and hence has to turn around) to make it look like he was retreating?

And on that note, Mr. X supposedly speeds up if you knock his hat off. Do you have to specifically aim and shoot the hat off for that to trigger (also gives you an achievement), or does it count if you knock it off via collateral damage by say, shooting him in the face with a shotgun? Basically I want to know if you can trigger his increased speed by accident.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cornwind Evil posted:

And on that note, Mr. X supposedly speeds up if you knock his hat off. Do you have to specifically aim and shoot the hat off for that to trigger (also gives you an achievement), or does it count if you knock it off via collateral damage by say, shooting him in the face with a shotgun? Basically I want to know if you can trigger his increased speed by accident.
He doesn't. He starts speedwalking once he switches from walking around in "patrol" AI to having noticed you in active pursuit AI. Since the first time he does this after your first encounter may be in response to a headshot from behind or some other kind of ambush, people think it's connected. He does, however, do a funny "where's my hat!?" head-pat with his hand if you get him just right.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cornwind Evil posted:

Found this amusing RE 2 Remake video here. It involves a certain situation with Mr. X and post-game-beaten content in case there's someone who wants to avoid all spoilers, even now. Will also spoil my question.

So, will this actually happen in game if you unlock the rocket launcher (ie, it will make Mr. X retreat)? Or, as a somewhat confusing comment said, was the player just taking advantage of a certain location (where the ground breaks in the library) and Mr. X's pathing AI (he won't walk over it and hence has to turn around) to make it look like he was retreating?

The way it works is that Mr. X is hard-coded to not follow you over that part of the floor, presumably so you can't use the breakaway section against him. The video was made by solving the library shelves puzzle, so Claire can stand atop them and time drawing the RL to coincide with Mr. X hitting the inaccessible part of the walkway and turning around to come at her from another angle.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

BiggerBoat posted:

Holt poo poo are you kidding me with these ghost survivor runs? The training ones are way too easy but the regular ones seem impossible. Especially the orphanage one. The bus and the basketball court with 3 lickers...how?

Shoot zombie through the fence until he drops his backpack, walk up to backpack, take key, walk to door. Lickers won't aggro if you're walking.

There's probably a faster, fancier way to do it, but this way works well enough. The trick for most of that character's chapter seems to be "don't fight this stuff, just run".

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hellburger99 posted:

Shoot zombie through the fence until he drops his backpack, walk up to backpack, take key, walk to door. Lickers won't aggro if you're walking.

There's probably a faster, fancier way to do it, but this way works well enough. The trick for most of that character's chapter seems to be "don't fight this stuff, just run".

Stand outside and kill it with fire.

It's the best solution for everything :eng101:

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Hellburger99 posted:

There's probably a faster, fancier way to do it, but this way works well enough. The trick for most of that character's chapter seems to be "don't fight this stuff, just WALK".

Fixed it

Edit - for the lickers, please do run for most of that one

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Resident Evil 2 HD texture pack coming on pretty well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpf1FpLtX0

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I'm at an hour and thirteen minutes just before the crocodile on a Leon A hardcore run. I'm hoping that's on track to beat it with an S+. I ended up losing a massive amount of time somewhere in the RPD when I attempted a Claire run, but the sewers took just under 10 minutes since I got lucky with the G Mutants. I seem to be doing better on my Leon attempt.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Those things just seem to be a matter of "Do you feel like pointing an eyeball in my general direction this time, or are you going to screw about throwing facehuggers at me with your eye completely guarded?"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I didn't think you even could because of their size, but I recently saw a video of someone actually running past them instead of fighting them. Seems to be a bit finicky since they love grabbing you, but it can be done. I think when they poop out spawn might actually be one of the better opportunities for that. They're stuck in animation, so they might not be able to grab.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
It amazes me really how "eat a hit, pop a defensive item" is more standard than kill or avoid. Especially the G's. That gamingwithapanda video made it pretty easy to get around them all for the low low cost of one knife and one fb (maybe 2 fb if one of the G's doesn't turn your way). It feels counter-intuitive to me to eat a hit in a survival horror game, but here we are.

Also I finally got the rocket launcher and hoo boy this is going to be fun.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

The Repo Man posted:

I'm at an hour and thirteen minutes just before the crocodile on a Leon A hardcore run. I'm hoping that's on track to beat it with an S+. I ended up losing a massive amount of time somewhere in the RPD when I attempted a Claire run, but the sewers took just under 10 minutes since I got lucky with the G Mutants. I seem to be doing better on my Leon attempt.

It might be a little tight, I think the recommended time frame is like 1:15 when you reach the sewer control room. If you just straight up haul rear end and skip the last RPD trip I think you’re okay.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

It feels counter-intuitive to me to eat a hit in a survival horror game, but here we are.
On thinking about this statement for a little, this is actually pretty common in Resident Evil games. In RE1, for example, it was often advisable to rather risk a bite from a zombie so you can shove them over rather than spend the ammunition it would cost to even stun it. Herbs were common enough and heal enough (compared to how much damage a single zombie can do) that this was actually the least costly solution to a number of situations. Dodge, and if you can't, eat the hit. Only kill what you absolutely have to.

RE2make is a lot more about the killing than about the avoiding, but then again, most Resident Evil games these days are. I'm not complaining. Zombies are so fun to mutilate.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Cardiovorax posted:

I didn't think you even could because of their size, but I recently saw a video of someone actually running past them instead of fighting them. Seems to be a bit finicky since they love grabbing you, but it can be done. I think when they poop out spawn might actually be one of the better opportunities for that. They're stuck in animation, so they might not be able to grab.

in some sections if you go quickly they can't do anything to you at all, in the section leading to the king and queen piece Leon can't squeeze past them, he's too big. Claire can squeeze past them but they still might grab her.

Fhqwhgads posted:

It amazes me really how "eat a hit, pop a defensive item" is more standard than kill or avoid. Especially the G's. That gamingwithapanda video made it pretty easy to get around them all for the low low cost of one knife and one fb (maybe 2 fb if one of the G's doesn't turn your way). It feels counter-intuitive to me to eat a hit in a survival horror game, but here we are.

Also I finally got the rocket launcher and hoo boy this is going to be fun.

the knife is actually a bad defensive item for g adults because it places you in position that you won't be able to run past them by the time your grab immunity is up depending on what attack they do next. it just puts you in a bad orientation and with a bad animation. that's why Leon should probably kill the ones he can't run past since the knife puts you in such a precarious spot and whatever resource you spend killing them is less valuable than a grenade.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

rabidsquid posted:

the knife is actually a bad defensive item for g adults because it places you in position that you won't be able to run past them by the time your grab immunity is up depending on what attack they do next. it just puts you in a bad orientation and with a bad animation. that's why Leon should probably kill the ones he can't run past since the knife puts you in such a precarious spot and whatever resource you spend killing them is less valuable than a grenade.

The very first G adult Leon comes across (the narrow sewer hall with the landing to the left), the grab/knife combo actually moves you around the G for an easy escape. I say knife in that situation (only) because grenades at that point are more useful for bosses and should be saved.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
So I've deliberately stayed away from this thread up until now, because I am old and play games slowly now (old enough that I played the original when it was brand new.) I have now beaten Leon A, Claire A, No Time to Mourn, and am about halfway through Runaway and Leon B, respectively.

Holy poo poo, even in the remake so much of this game revolves are pure memorization of ideal routes and techniques. Leon A was my first and I pulled it off with some stupid thing like 12-15 deaths (thanks Ada section, thanks bullshit final battle instant-kill.) Completion time right around 8:30. By contrast, Claire A I finished in about 4:15 and with probably 2-3 deaths. So, so, so much of it is just learning where things are, both in terms of enemy and item placement - Mr X chased me into an awful lot of Lickers in Leon A, while in Claire A I managed to avoid fighting those bastards almost completely.

I can't complain - this game is pretty much EXACTLY what I wanted in nearly all respects and I have enjoyed the poo poo out of it. It is still mildly demoralizing to fire up youtube after completing No Time To Mourn in 4 attempts and finally finishing with a clear time of 16 minutes.... only to see a particularly bored-looking speed runner complete it in four minutes and sixteen seconds.

Seriously though.... barring Ada's section and Mr X's instant kill, as I mentioned, I have had zero complaints. The level of detail that went into this game probably makes it the most beautiful I've ever seen with regards to graphics. The character animations, voice acting, the places where they changed the plot or characterization slightly so that it would make more sense... it's all just picture perfect. I even find myself admiring some of the smallest of details, sometimes, like the way the flood lights played off Leon and Ada during their confrontation in the lab, or the way Claire's voice rang and echoed off the walls while she was talking to Annette in the Birkin 3 room.

As for balance, well.... To be honest I've always despised Adaptive Difficulty, because I hate it when a game holds my hand - when I win a fight I want it to be because I pulled it off, not because the developers decided to take pity on me. Still, it's a relatively minor thing as the influence of AD in this particular entry seems fairly minimal, and the balance is pretty great otherwise with regards to enemy toughness and item placement. It's hard, but not punishingly so.

Still, regarding Mr X's instant kill and Ada's section in the sewers? I wish when the game gave you that "switch to easy mode" prompt, there were actually three options: Yes, No, and Tell The Developers To Go gently caress Themselves.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Holy poo poo, even in the remake so much of this game revolves are pure memorization of ideal routes and techniques.
Eh. Honestly, I still run the wrong direction sometimes and look stuff up on the map, honestly. Memorization is helpful, but I'd say it's honestly never necessary. This isn't a particularly hard game even on hardcore. I mean, unless you're trying to speedrun, but that's not what I'd call normal gameplay. I finished my first run of Leon A in eight hours and thirty minutes, no memorization of any substantial degree involved.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Backhand posted:

As for balance, well.... To be honest I've always despised Adaptive Difficulty, because I hate it when a game holds my hand - when I win a fight I want it to be because I pulled it off, not because the developers decided to take pity on me. Still, it's a relatively minor thing as the influence of AD in this particular entry seems fairly minimal, and the balance is pretty great otherwise with regards to enemy toughness and item placement. It's hard, but not punishingly so.

I think the adaptive difficulty talk was misfounded, as a week or two after launch someone found that all zombies have hard coded health values and obviously items are manually placed (unlike RE4 where you get them from fallen enemies). Mr. X's behaviour is apparently genuine; someone did a wallhack and saw he does stay spawned in and actively searches for you, with the exception of a few instances where he automatically spawns.

I think the most amusing thing to come from this is that Marvin is deliberately programmed to be able to survive you blowing all his limbs off, which made Leon's sad quip when he finally died in an enormous mess of blood and bones seem a little sadistic.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Convex posted:

I think the adaptive difficulty talk was misfounded, as a week or two after launch someone found that all zombies have hard coded health values and obviously items are manually placed (unlike RE4 where you get them from fallen enemies). Mr. X's behaviour is apparently genuine; someone did a wallhack and saw he does stay spawned in and actively searches for you, with the exception of a few instances where he automatically spawns.

I think the most amusing thing to come from this is that Marvin is deliberately programmed to be able to survive you blowing all his limbs off, which made Leon's sad quip when he finally died in an enormous mess of blood and bones seem a little sadistic.

There is definitely adaptive difficulty at play, but it's pretty subtle. Regarding enemies, its all about the damage you do to them and the damage they do to you; on Standard, I can usually blast grounded lickers with one flame round and be confident that they're dead, but if I've been doing really well, they might have a sliver of health left, for example. I think Hardcore consistently has the damage values at their most extreme, but if you're on hardcore, you probably don't need the game adjusting damage values on the fly for you.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Zombies' limbs do seem to get more resilient proportionally to how well you're doing, just purely anecdotally. Then again, it's also based on how fat they are. It's hard to really say for certain, simply because there's so much variety to them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

What's up fellow :corsair:?

Don't fret. You experienced the game the best way

Taking your time and exploring until you work out "oh yeah! Go here first and grab this then plus, oh, that's where that item/code is and I don't even have to kill that thing" is at least half the fun. You mentioned the old games but that's exactly how those worked as well. The great thing about them (then and now) is that it's not so much trial and error as it is exploration and tension that rewards repeated play and teaches you more as you play. "Obvious" things only reveal themselves in retrospect and through multiple play throughs. Every boss encounter, window zombie, spazzing licker, filled inventory, barely reaching a save room, dog freakout or "Hey, KoolAid" Mr. X is great the first time

I played through the original games with no internet or strategy guide and that's the way we liked it dag gummit.

EDIT: and, yeah, I only tend to notice adaptive difficulty when I'm kicking rear end and wrecking poo poo. Occasionally pisses me off but overall I think it's better to have it and this game does a really good job disguising it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ChaosArgate posted:

There is definitely adaptive difficulty at play, but it's pretty subtle. Regarding enemies, its all about the damage you do to them and the damage they do to you; on Standard, I can usually blast grounded lickers with one flame round and be confident that they're dead, but if I've been doing really well, they might have a sliver of health left, for example. I think Hardcore consistently has the damage values at their most extreme, but if you're on hardcore, you probably don't need the game adjusting damage values on the fly for you.

on hardcore where adaptive difficulty is 100% off a single flame round will always kill a zombie that's on the ground. i don't think adaptive difficulty goes higher than what hardcore is set at.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I still got severe RE fever and I worked my way tyhrough all the good games and played my three favorites (CV, 2Remake, and OG RE1) about 6 thousand times each....so I'm playing RE Zero for the first time. Any tips? I hear it kinda blows rear end.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It kinda does. The biggest and most important advice to give is to be careful where you drop poo poo, because the game will not remind you and there is no box to make life easier on you. Pick a good, centralized space you will get to repeatedly and easily. Anything less will make things intolerably tedious on you, because you'll already be making at least one hauling run once you unlock the second half of the game map and don't want everything to be ten literal in-game minutes away anymore.

Don't make the mistake I made and just drop things wherever because you think you won't need them anymore. You can never tell.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Keep the hook shot within reach until you finish up the area after the mansion.

Don’t use the knife, keep Becky away from enemies as much as you can.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I still got severe RE fever and I worked my way tyhrough all the good games and played my three favorites (CV, 2Remake, and OG RE1) about 6 thousand times each....so I'm playing RE Zero for the first time. Any tips? I hear it kinda blows rear end.

Designate a room to be your item box room. I usually go with the main hallway of the training facility.

If you pick up everything on the train and immediately drop it, it'll be outside the train when you leave it. Anything you don't pick up on the train is gone for good after you leave it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Super important RE0 advice:

After the church, you’ll come to a lab area. There’s a hole in the ceiling and you can send one character up while the other stays on the first floor. It’s a one way trip.

Send Rebecca up.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
This is already one of the most tedious games I've ever played in my life.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Welcome to the club.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My attempt to replay RE0 was mercy killed by the unpatched Xbox bug and you know what, thank you bug.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

It's so weird.

I played Resie 0 back in the day after I had completed Remake. And I loved it.
I just remember it being a game where even when you only had handguns, if the two characters were together they wrecked everything. And when they split you up, you felt super vulnerable.

Seeing so many people dunk on it made me wonder if I should go back and replay it, but I feel it would be disappointing.
I did learn that they added in a mode where you played as Wesker with Rebecca as his slave. Which sounds like a hell of a thing.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Wesker mode is fine, you use Rebecca as a pack mule building up a stash of ammo for blasting through that bit of the game and just heat-vision everything else to death with Wesker's laser eyes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This is already one of the most tedious games I've ever played in my life.

I can't play any of the games with the old controls anymore.

Sad to see this thread finally slowing down because this game has been a god damned hoot.

I can't recall the last time I got addicted, sucked in and wasted entire afternoons or evenings before realizing "holy poo poo! It's 10pm and I haven't eaten dinner yet" or found myself planning a new route during my work commute. Really refreshing to play something that's not so open world, daunting and filled with micro managing stats, perks, sub menus and million side quests. The depth they were able to build with such relatively tight environments should be a lesson to developers moving forward I think.

If it weren't for the internet and online speed run videos available practically right out of the box I think it would have even more longevity. Hopefully we get some more DLC at some point or a randomizer for consoles.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

If it weren't for the internet and online speed run videos available practically right out of the box I think it would have even more longevity. Hopefully we get some more DLC at some point or a randomizer for consoles.
There's a randomizer available for Resident Evil HD that basically turns it into a roguelike. Everything can be randomized, even where doors lead. It's actually kind of fun to play. The way RE2make is built won't allow for that kind of depth to it, but a randomizer is pretty much inevitable. On PC, modders are already capable of replacing monsters and such essentially at will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

There's a randomizer available for Resident Evil HD that basically turns it into a roguelike.

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't play any of the games with the old controls anymore.