Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Cowcaster posted:

some people talking up the ichimonji slash in here, am i going to miss my nightjar slash/reversal if i swap it out?

extremely yes in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I did 2-3 attempts at the elderly elite samurai next to the idol once you're inside Asahina Castle proper. I got absolutely wrecked each time, in seconds. I had absolutely no idea what to do with this guy. His loving Iai Quickdraw poo poo not only wrecked posture when blocking but did damage through my block! The timing seemed impossible to parry.

Then I remembered that I had just picked up the iron umbrella, which is amazing, I might add from a bit earlier on and tried that. Low and behold, it completely trivializes the fight since it can parry his quickdraw and not only stop it cold but do like 70% of his posture bar in a single parry. And then he'll immediately try again, which gets you the rest of the way! instead of impossible it was 20 seconds.

Anyway the point of this story is that if you don't highlight any of those spoilers this story could likely apply to half the tough fights in this game. It took me awhile but I have gotten around to the fact that the game doesn't want you to git gud just at sword-parry-dodge combat. It gives you a dozen tools. It has a use for every tool, you just have to find the right one.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

You can walk around the burning building and find that idol.

Block them all. Or block the first few and dodge the last one.

Glad I'm not the only one :v:

Wait really? I looked all around the side of that building and couldn’t find anything - facing it, the left is blocked by a railing, and the right is blocked by more fire

Is that theoretically the idol I should be using for banging my head against Juzhou?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
step dodging is actually very powerful in this game, but the key is to not use it like dark souls and stick to a guy's butt. you need to use it to get yourself juuuuust in range to do a followup swing, at about a 45 degree angle to the enemy either front or back.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I BEAT GENICHIRO

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Cowcaster posted:

some people talking up the ichimonji slash in here, am i going to miss my nightjar slash/reversal if i swap it out?

It lets you use blocking/umbrella more liberally against really aggressive bosses like top of the castle with Genichiro, and the posture damage it does is pretty reasonable. You can use spear charge to gain a little mobility back.

I was seriously struggling before the top of the castle against Ashina Elite, then chumped him in about 12 seconds first try with the umbrella. I almost feel like that fight is "do you have umbrella? y/n"

Also, I've never been able to pull off a mid-air deathblow, i'm assuming it doesn't work on bosses?

Meiteron posted:

Then I remembered that I had just picked up the iron umbrella, which is amazing, I might add from a bit earlier on and tried that. Low and behold, it completely trivializes the fight since it can parry his quickdraw and not only stop it cold but do like 70% of his posture bar in a single parry. And then he'll immediately try again, which gets you the rest of the way! instead of impossible it was 20 seconds.

Umbrella friends :ninja::hf::ninja: You can do it in about 4 sets of sword deflects, but when you get to him initially your posture will fill faster than his unless you land an Ichimonji or two, and the timing is definitely tighter.

hampig fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 24, 2019

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
So, cave in poison area. How do I get past the second snake encounter? I can go down the left side and there's a grapple point, but of course he attacks me as soon as I jump there.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 24, 2019

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
wait no gently caress

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Meiteron posted:

I did 2-3 attempts at the elderly elite samurai next to the idol once you're inside Asahina Castle proper. I got absolutely wrecked each time, in seconds. I had absolutely no idea what to do with this guy. His loving Iai Quickdraw poo poo not only wrecked posture when blocking but did damage through my block! The timing seemed impossible to parry.

Anyway the point of this story is that if you don't highlight any of those spoilers this story could likely apply to half the tough fights in this game. It took me awhile but I have gotten around to the fact that the game doesn't want you to git gud just at sword-parry-dodge combat. It gives you a dozen tools. It has a use for every tool, you just have to find the right one.

it's definitely possible to deflect his attacks without using that tool.

Frog Act posted:

Wait really? I looked all around the side of that building and couldn’t find anything - facing it, the left is blocked by a railing, and the right is blocked by more fire

Is that theoretically the idol I should be using for banging my head against Juzhou?

You should definitely have an idol before Juzou. From the idol, you just need to go around a burning building and clear the group of mooks before you can talk to the NPC samurai before Juzou(doesn't matter if he lives or dies btw).

Frog Act posted:

Also, how do I (super early game spoilers I guess, but barely) the guys around Juzhou via stealth when they're all hanging out right in front of him? Do I basically have to aggro him, scatter them, take them out, then come back to get a stealth hit on Juzhou himself?

Yea. You can deathblow him as he walks back to his starting position.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Meiteron posted:

Where is the iron umbrella? I did that the hard way :saddowns:

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Oh I thought I read that hitting them with it active reduces their special effects as well

It might after you hit them enough, with "enough" here meaning "quite a bit".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

goblin week posted:

I BEAT GENICHIRO

goblin week posted:

wait no gently caress

:allears:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

yeah you just gotta react to the flash of the sword and mash L1

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Finally loving beat him and it only took 3 people getting dragonrot

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also to the people complaining about having to pay 10 cents for spirit emblems at the store if you kill pinwheel apparently you get blood bullets. go get em!

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

It probably was, but loving up the parry ate 90% of my health from max so the real benefit to what I used was the greater consistency. The parry window on iron umbrella is huge.

Sakurazuka posted:

Where is the iron umbrella? I did that the hard way :saddowns:

Warp to the idol near the Old Grave, I think it's called. If you don't have that one warp to the first idol inside the castle and jump down to the bottom floor from the big room, and find an exit (there are two, one leads back to an earlier area, you want the other). There should be an open area outside notable for having some watchtowers with the cannon enemies in them. There's a big building in that area with a hole in the roof - drop into the hole to find a merchant who sells it for like 1600 sen.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh i think it's just a consumable? that's weird.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

also to the people complaining about having to pay 10 cents for spirit emblems at the store if you kill pinwheel apparently you get blood bullets. go get em!

????

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It says to hold R2 to use the spinning shuriken, but it just seems to throw it normally.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Downloaded and diving in. Just making sure, pause/alt-tab is for real in this, right? That was one thing that always seriously bugged me about the other modern From titles.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Leyburn posted:

It says to hold R2 to use the spinning shuriken, but it just seems to throw it normally.

you need to equip it first

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Leyburn posted:

There's a new thing to equip in the normal shuriken's place.

ed:beaten.

Speaking of beaten, I think probably mid-game spoilers the ghosts in Mibu Village both kick my rear end. The ghost priest is a spinning jerk.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
do the ashina castle memory until the final not-bonfire then just turn around and clear out the twelve dudes, they drop like thirty bucks each and it's relatively trivial. You can also pop a dolla dolla bills balloon which seems to make it 40~ for a few minutes. repeat as necessary, vomit all your money into spirit tokens or whatever shop you have unlocked

it made the local boss a little less of a pain given how much I was using spirits

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

goblin week posted:

wait no gently caress

Right there with you :science:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

after like 30 attempts on the rooftop boss I went back and killed butterfly lady, she was a cakewalk at that point and the extra attack power made rooftop guy waaay easier, I guess I was doing things out of order :v:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Meiteron posted:

Warp to the idol near the Old Grave, I think it's called. If you don't have that one warp to the first idol inside the castle and jump down to the bottom floor from the big room, and find an exit (there are two, one leads back to an earlier area, you want the other). There should be an open area outside notable for having some watchtowers with the cannon enemies in them. There's a big building in that area with a hole in the roof - drop into the hole to find a merchant who sells it for like 1600 sen.

Oh poo poo thanks. I could not figure out the point of that idol

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
I just beat the 4 monkeys and have a total of 5 attack upgrades. Anyone know how far into the game that is roughly?

Also this game is amazing and its a pity so many people are review bombing it for either 1. Being to hard or 2. Not being an exact clone of DS or BB.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Do treasure carp respawn every time I rest in the memory?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Disliking this game intensely. I know... it's me, not the game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

blue samurai drop confetti, for those that need more

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hm i've found ol rifleeyes in both the valley and the ashina depths. i'm supposed to be the only one who can fast travel lady!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Davincie posted:

Also you get the ability to just buy it near the endgame

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there a torch or anything I can do to light up the darker inside areas and caves and stuff? It's my number one problem in the abandoned dungeon that I just can't see whatever may or may not be about to murder me, or any holes I might fall into, or any holes I need to walk into to move on.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Grappling up somewhere from crouch and being pulled out of crouch when you get there surely is one of the dumbest design decisions.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Do treasure carp respawn every time I rest in the memory?

No, once you kill them they're gone. They do re-appear after a few seconds if you just scare them away though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

The ones in the the main castle building?

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Ugh, count me in with the lot of people who loved all the DS and Bloodborne games, but finding this one hard and frustrating. :sigh: Whoever gave the suggestion earlier to be more aggressive - that’s super helpful in fighting mooks, and was honestly a game changer for me. But I am still having a ton of trouble with the mini-bosses, and it’s super aggravating to have to clear out a courtyard of them just to do a boss attempt, and then just have them KO me in 2-3 shots as soon as I gently caress something up.

Sucks because when the game clicks for me, it’s SO drat good. Beautiful flow and feels amazing. But then I run up against walls like these drat bosses and it’s discouraging. :(

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Has anyone ever had some sort of blue glowing effect happen when they kill an enemy? Just had this and it's weirding me out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
How far through the game am I if I just cleared the castle and had already done the temple before finishing it? Based on the fact I've barely upgraded my weapons I'm assuming like 1/4 to 1/3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just wish they would someday get away from ridiculous tracking/hitboxes. it's really the only time i rage.