Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It was one massive accusation that many people backed up. But I guess he's too connected to suffer for his crimes.

In fairness, how many nerdy white comedians capable of hosting a glorified podcast are there? (What's that, "any one of the hosts of the literally thousands of podcasts that are basically the exact same thing"?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Bust Rodd posted:

Wasn’t the Hardwick stuff just the one accusation from his ex-girlfriend and then some staff left when the AMC and Nerdist investigations concluded that there was nothing to punish?

The legal firm AMC hired to investigate him has previously represented the Hearst corporation. Hardwick is married to Lydia Hearst. Draw your own conclusions.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

In fairness, how many nerdy white comedians capable of hosting a glorified podcast are there? (What's that, "any one of the hosts of the literally thousands of podcasts that are basically the exact same thing"?)

There's scores of them. But he's been in the industry for 20 years, is majorly connected he married into the Hearst family.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I already knew about it, but it is so insanely weird to me that Chris Hardwick is Patty Hearst's son-in-law.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, Hardwick is a massive piece of poo poo and a creep but what he did to his ex isn't technically a crime, and it involved a relationship outside of work so it's not that surprising he didn't get barred from the industry over it. Hardwick operated in a similar gray area to Drake, where it's creepy and predatory but he didn't break any laws and even the court of public opinion could give him the benefit of the doubt.

yeah, unfortunately a lot of the response was to fixate on the sexual assault line of Chloe's letter which she later removed. I think she intended it more as an indicator of her emotional state rather than accusing him of the legal definition of sexual assault. The subsequent coverage of it fixated on proving if he did an actual rape or not and essentially ignored all the emotional abuse. It felt like a really honest and compelling description of being in an emotionally abuse relationship and its unfortunate that the focus on an ill advised word choice has discredited the rest of it.

Obviously not enough to accurately diagnose anything but from listening to the pod for a while it did seem pretty clear that Chris is was fixated on status and power dynamics. I can imagine those manifested pretty negatively in a relationship that was as imbalanced as the one with Chloe and its not surprising that his other girlfriends didn't notice the behaviour because as far as I can remember they were all his peer group or higher in status than he was.

I wonder what the podcast numbers are like now, I've poked my head in the subreddit - which has a pinned warning about harassing Chloe on social media - and it seems pretty much dead. That being said it felt petty dead before the accusation. There's just so many better celebrity interview podcasts now that I can't see it being as relevant as it was at the peak.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

I mean, Hardwick is a massive piece of poo poo and a creep but what he did to his ex isn't technically a crime, and it involved a relationship outside of work so it's not that surprising he didn't get barred from the industry over it. Hardwick operated in a similar gray area to Drake, where it's creepy and predatory but he didn't break any laws and even the court of public opinion could give him the benefit of the doubt.

Drake has already been caught on camera groping and making out with an underage girl and I'm pretty sure he's been grooming others at best. There's no doubt in my mind that Drake's done something illegal and just hasn't been caught by the cops yet.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If we’ve learned anything from R. Kelly it’s that Drake will absolutely get what’s coming to him 30 to 35 years after he prayed on literally countless young women and every single piece of coverage will be playing “God’s Plan” in the background.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

If we’ve learned anything from R. Kelly it’s that Drake will absolutely get what’s coming to him 30 to 35 years after he prayed on literally countless young women and every single piece of coverage will be playing “God’s Plan” in the background.

I mean Drake might molest a white girl. He seems a lot more reckless about it than Kelly.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It’s just a matter of time for Drake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goouXtnDLcI

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Ugh. The Drake stuff is gross as gently caress and it's super depressing that all this poo poo recently came out about MJ and R Kelly and still nobody seems to be taking his predatory behavior seriously.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And also that people think Drake is a good musician. The gently caress is up with that poo poo?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He'll always be Jimmy Brooks to me. Which makes the tough guy poo poo hilarious, and the creeper poo poo even more depressing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Skwirl posted:

He'll always be Jimmy Brooks to me. Which makes the tough guy poo poo hilarious, and the creeper poo poo even more depressing.

i remember when he first came out and didn't realize who he was and saw a video of him performing and thinking drat jimmy's walking again!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

NiceGuy posted:

Ugh. The Drake stuff is gross as gently caress and it's super depressing that all this poo poo recently came out about MJ and R Kelly and still nobody seems to be taking his predatory behavior seriously.

Well, nobody except Pusha T.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I didn't know about Drake's creepy behavior before deciding to click on this thread today.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So everyone knew Drake was grooming underage girls when it came out he was "friends" with stranger things girl. But it just kind of clicked after watching the MJ doc. Like an older man saying they're totally just friends with like a 12 year old

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Phi230 posted:

So everyone knew Drake was grooming underage girls when it came out he was "friends" with stranger things girl. But it just kind of clicked after watching the MJ doc. Like an older man saying they're totally just friends with like a 12 year old

Yeah I hate to like... Jump to conclusions and be judgmental, but just generally speaking, if you're an adult with no kids of your own you're pretty goddamn happy when you *don't* have to deal with much younger kids. I mean, it's not like I hate kids or anything but the few times I've had to deal with them as an adult, uh... Well, it made me really glad I didn't become a parent when I was young, as well as that I didn't go into teaching middle school or anything. I'm sure some kids are perfectly sweet, but I'm also pretty sure that, speaking as someone who definitely is *not* a pedophile.. kids are pretty obnoxious and require a great deal of attention as well as patience to be around, and I'm just seriously happy that I don't have any living in my home because it could potentially drive me crazy. But of course on the other hand, I can understand having infinite patience for your own children and *wanting* to devote attention to raising them - that's just basic human biological instinct. It's pretty different when they're not your kids, though.

But seriously, that's why I really have always been leery of any male adult who proactively wants to spend time with kids, especially single guys who seek out those jobs. I just ran into way too many perverts like that when I was a kid, it really made me insanely distrustful of anyone who actively chooses as their profession being an authority figure to children. I'm fine with teachers who had their own interests and ambitions and wound up teaching - that's different. I instinctively don't trust men who actively choose to be around children as a vocation, though. I might wind up trusting them if I talk to them, but it's kind of a red mark in my eyes.

The worst was summer camp counselors, though. There was like, no vetting for those jobs (at least back in the 80s/90s) and they'd just hire any ol' fella who looked in their 20s and acted genial. Ugh.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Drake does have a kid though.

And the Millie Bobbie Brown thing, while distressing, isn’t as hosed up as the 18 year old he started dating at 16 (hey I’m the most famous singer on Earth and you’re a child, let’s make out) or the 14 year old he was blatantly sexting.

Here’s how I think of it. The lowest rung on Drake’s ladder probably makes more in a year than I’ll make in the next ten. He’s untouchable until public opinion becomes amenable, and we’re literally decades away from that. You have to remember that predators who focus on black women will always take longer to catch because... we’ll because the racism/sexism combo is overwhelming.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

kaworu posted:

Yeah I hate to like... Jump to conclusions and be judgmental, but just generally speaking, if you're an adult with no kids of your own you're pretty goddamn happy when you *don't* have to deal with much younger kids.

Maybe consider just speaking for yourself next time then. Like I get that your opinions are probably based on whatever negative experiences you may have had in the past so I'll refrain from being too judgemental, but the view that men who choose to work or interact with children are inherently untrustworthy is a very bad one. Not least because it places teaching/childcare firmly in the "women's work" category and further absolves men of any responsibility in regards to that.

Drake's a creep because he's texting a 14 year old girl about what kinds of boys she likes, along with a bunch of other weird poo poo, not simply because he's choosing to interact with a child without being coerced into it first. Those are wildly different things.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was an art teacher for five years before I went into petcare. I’m a grown adult man and I’d way, way rather work with kids and puppies finger painting and playing fetch than selling flatscreens at Best Buy. Adult human beings are garbage.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Also I don't have the exact numbers here but I'm all but positive that most child molestations are perpetrated by the victim's own family members way more than strangers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

King Vidiot posted:

Also I don't have the exact numbers here but I'm all but positive that most child molestations are perpetrated by the victim's own family members way more than strangers.

The vast majority, yeah. It's similar stats to homicides, the overwhelming majority that are investigated and resolved (however thoroughly) turn out to be acquaintance murders. This isn't to say that the 10-20% of stranger murders are insignificant, they're just much more disturbing to the average person. It's like how like 90% of Amber Alerts are noncustodial parents kidnapping their own children.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Maybe consider just speaking for yourself next time then. Like I get that your opinions are probably based on whatever negative experiences you may have had in the past so I'll refrain from being too judgemental, but the view that men who choose to work or interact with children are inherently untrustworthy is a very bad one. Not least because it places teaching/childcare firmly in the "women's work" category and further absolves men of any responsibility in regards to that.

I don't know who else I'd be speaking for, I thought I made it pretty plain that my distaste for adults who choose to order children around or make them "obedient" for a living is fairly personal, and I'm just fine with standing on my own as disliking the gently caress out of anyone who enjoys ordering children around or thinks that the Public School System in America is an upstanding institution not in need of reform. I'm sure lots of them are lovely people and I always keep an open mind, but that's just me.

Obviously I feel very differently about people who just like to work with kids, or teach things like art/music/literature/liberal arts from the point of view of furthering education. Tough to do that in public schools these days since they seem to be focused on teaching children to follow the rules and then teaching them how much trouble they get in depending on which rules they break, and so on. The majority of teachers I knew couldn't have cared less about actually teaching unless their class was being observed by a superior or it was for a standardized test which would reflect on the teacher in question. It's not even that all are pedos, most are just sadists or the type that likes any job where they get to tell people beneath them what to do and get called "sir" all day long. Teaching, sadly, is no longer the sacred trust it once was.

Of course, pay no attention to this if you're rich enough to privately school/socialize your child one way or another, or just live in an area heavily gentrified enough that the state is obligated to actually fund the schools properly for fear of bad publicity.

Again, exceptions to every rule, and to be fair the good teachers I've met aren't just good, they're practically SAINTS. But they're few and far between.

edit: And yes, I constantly quote that stat to other people, that abuse usually occurs in the home because access is by far the most critical and important thing.

It's actually a lot worse than just saying "it happens in the home" - most of the time that's a very euphemistic way of saying that a father has groomed and raped his child, usually multiple times. But nobody really likes to think about that, I guess. They always say that the molester was "an unnamed family member" in news stories, like it's the most horrific shameful secret ever. Does more harm than good in my opinion.

The person who molested me was a semi-friend of the family who owned a small after-care place for small kids, so yeah, I probably have a personal thing against people who act like caretakers of children, but aren't. That's incidentally the second most common type of offender after family members - babysitters or people who work in child care.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 25, 2019

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

kaworu posted:

I don't know who else I'd be speaking for, I thought I made it pretty plain that my distaste for adults who choose to order children around or make them "obedient" for a living is fairly personal, and I'm just fine with standing on my own as disliking the gently caress out of anyone who enjoys ordering children around or thinks that the Public School System in America is an upstanding institution not in need of reform. I'm sure lots of them are lovely people and I always keep an open mind, but that's just me.

Obviously I feel very differently about people who just like to work with kids, or teach things like art/music/literature/liberal arts from the point of view of furthering education.

Ok, well this is not even remotely close to what you originally said. You're free to revise your opinion or whatever, but I think it's pretty understandable I responded to what you literally wrote, instead of assuming you actually meant something completely different. Honestly, I find a lot of your posts in here pretty confusing.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Part of what disgusts me about Drake is I feel that older celebrities totally could be good influences on younger ones in a mentor type friendship given how often young celebrities go off the rails due to having all the money and none of the experience. Like there's a bunch of former child stars who credit not getting in trouble with having an older celebrity look out for them and help em deal with all the weird and horrible poo poo that comes with fame. And I mean this is probably true for any sort of situation a kid finds themselves in that their age peers or family might not be able to relate to.

Then fuckers like Drake make everyone look at any attempt at intergenerational friendship askance.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Since the announcement voice actors Monica Rial (Bulma), Daman Mills (Frieza understudy) and Jason Douglas (Beerus), and guest panelist literature historian Ken have each publicly cancelled their appearances at the convention https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...roversy/.144965

quote:

Rial previously shared in February an alleged past encounter with Mignogna where she said he would "take a fist full of my hair, pull my head back, and either whisper so closely to my ear that his lips were touching or kiss my cheek/neck" every time he saw Rial. These actions are similar to the actions that fellow voice actress Jamie Marchi accused Mignogna of doing to her. Rial added that she and others have witnessed Mignogna performing the same actions to both colleagues and fans.

Rial also described another alleged incident where she claimed that Mignogna had forcibly kissed her in his hotel room during a convention in the mid-2000s, after Mignogna invited Rial to his room supposedly to watch a video.

Rial is one of many people both inside and outside the anime industry who have publicly accused Mignogna of kissing and embracing them without consent over the course of his career with some allegations dating back to 1989.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Three quarters are known to the victim, while a third of those are directly related. I looked that up when i got into a very silly argument about transgender people going into bathrooms.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

kaworu posted:

Obviously I feel very differently about people who just like to work with kids, or teach things like art/music/literature/liberal arts from the point of view of furthering education. Tough to do that in public schools these days since they seem to be focused on teaching children to follow the rules and then teaching them how much trouble they get in depending on which rules they break, and so on. The majority of teachers I knew couldn't have cared less about actually teaching unless their class was being observed by a superior or it was for a standardized test which would reflect on the teacher in question. It's not even that all are pedos, most are just sadists or the type that likes any job where they get to tell people beneath them what to do and get called "sir" all day long. Teaching, sadly, is no longer the sacred trust it once was.

Of course, pay no attention to this if you're rich enough to privately school/socialize your child one way or another, or just live in an area heavily gentrified enough that the state is obligated to actually fund the schools properly for fear of bad publicity.

Again, exceptions to every rule, and to be fair the good teachers I've met aren't just good, they're practically SAINTS. But they're few and far between.

Hey bud, come talk to us in the teacher thread instead of in some random thread where calling you out on your lovely opinions would derail the actual point of the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563040 We're all on Spring Break anyway and need something to do.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
In what will probably gently caress him sideways, the R. Kelly case has taken a hilarious turn:

quote:

The Dubai government issued a statement Sunday denying that R. Kelly had booked concerts in the United Arab Emirates city, as his legal team claimed.

“Authorities in Dubai have not received any request for a performance by singer R. Kelly nor are there any venues that have been booked,” the government’s Dubai Media Office said, adding that Kelly “has not been invited by the Dubai royal family for a performance.”

The rare statement from the Dubai Media Office comes days after Kelly’s lawyers filed a motion seeking permission for the financially troubled singer to travel to Dubai via private jet to perform concerts and meet the sheikdom, the Associated Press reports; as part of Kelly’s $1 million bail agreement, he turned over his passport.

“Mr. Kelly has a job that requires he be allowed to travel,” the filing said. “He cannot work, and consequently cannot making a living if he is confined to Illinois, or even the United States.”

Following the Dubai government’s denial, Kelly’s lawyer Steve Greenberg clarified the specifics of the filing and reasserted that Kelly had plans to perform in Dubai.

“R. Kelly has a contract with a legitimate promoter. Any information included in his motion to travel was from that contract. A copy was provided to the prosecutor,” Greenberg said in a statement to Rolling Stone.

“The contract requires that he make himself available to meet with the Royal Family, and was for performances in Dubai. It also require that he received permission to travel. Since he does not, as of yet, have permission to travel it is understandable why no one have invested in the promotion, booked venues or publicized any shows.”

Lawyer Michael Avenatti tweeted after the Dubai government’s statement, “I cannot wait to see what R. Kelly’s explanation is for the outright lies to the court, the media and the public. Every indication is that he fabricated the concerts in Dubai and the meeting with the Royal family in an attempt to flee the country.”

Greenberg dismissed concerns that Kelly was using the Dubai trip to abscond from his trial for 10 charges of sexual abuse. “The idea that R. Kelly would ask for permission to travel in order to flee is nonsensical,” Greenberg said.

Despite the filing, Kelly’s legal team delayed a ruling on travel permission until the singer’s next court hearing in May in order to satisfy outstanding questions the judge has on the matter.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

You know you're hosed if the Saudi government thinks that you're a scumbag.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

#MeToo comes to the Southern Poverty Law Center
https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-splc-morris-dees-20190314-story.html

Ex-NFL Star Sexually Abused as Teen Speaks Out After Michael Jackson Documentary: 'I Felt Complicit'
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ex-nfl-star-sexually-abused-191513614.html

Michael Avenatti arrested and charged with trying to extort $20M from Nike
https://nypost.com/2019/03/25/michael-avenatti-charged-with-trying-to-extort-20m-from-nike/

kaworu posted:

Christ, I could not make it through that video and turned it off when it got to him playing the audio from encounters he had with this woman from his person porn collection :vomit" and there were all the disgusting slimy soft schlick-a, schlick-a... noises and I literally felt like I wanted to throw up. I cannot even imagine how it could have gotten worse from there, but probably it somehow did.

I really can't quite articulate just how disgusted I am by the William Control stuff and everything about it. I just find it it extremely and deeply disturbing. Part of it is that I really am not a fan of polygamy, even though I have lots of gay friends who disagree with me strongly about that. But this video is like premised on me approving of his polygamist lifestyle in the first place, and I find it loving disgusting that he has a harem of "slave girls" or whatever he calls them and that he exchanges filthy texts with them and records their sexual encounters and insists they call him 'daddy' during sex and OH MY GOD

I finally had a chance to sit down and watch that whole video. I've noticed a trend recently of public figures being completely open about everything so I expect more of these kinds of revelations (exculpatory evidence in video and audio form).

Even some politicians have been talking completely open about their sexual histories lately:

Hickenlooper offers something different in crowded Democratic field: A detailed history of his sexual conquests
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...exual-conquests

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

In terms of MJ I'm concerned that anyone who helped him do this poo poo or helped him cover up will get away with it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The feeling of dread that came over me upon discovering this revelation has granted me a new understanding of why people choose to cover up the crimes of people in power.

gently caress.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

In terms of MJ I'm concerned that anyone who helped him do this poo poo or helped him cover up will get away with it.

This list is probably over a hundred names long. Michael Jackson made so much money every day that everyone in his orbit was loving crazy loaded and as long as MJ was happy the gravy train kept pulling into the station.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.c8653ab07007

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

quote:

Charges dropped against ‘Empire’ actor Jussie Smollett, who was accused of lying about a hate-crime attack, his attorney says

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I mean, we're probably not going to know what this one was about for a couple of days, but my first guess is that the Chicago PD hosed up the case beyond the point that it could be prosecuted with any chance of a guilty verdict or not embarrassing the PD. Something something steady stream of leaks about the investigation.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I mean, we're probably not going to know what this one was about for a couple of days, but my first guess is that the Chicago PD hosed up the case beyond the point that it could be prosecuted with any chance of a guilty verdict or not embarrassing the PD. Something something steady stream of leaks about the investigation.

In a world...

Where a police department is so racist that it fucks up a case because its members can't stop being racist and talking to the media...

One man...

Gets away $10,000 lighter and with the presumption of innocence

Chicago PD: The Movie

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Even if he did do it this is probably for the best

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1110588524254953473

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New York Times the first major US publication to go on record saying what MMA fans have suspected for months, that Conor McGregor is the athlete Irish police are investigating for a sexual assault accusation https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/26/sports/conor-mcgregor-ufc.html

quote:

Conor McGregor, the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s biggest star and one of the world’s highest-paid athletes, is under investigation in Ireland after a woman accused him of sexual assault in December, according to four people familiar with the investigation.

McGregor has not been charged with a crime. Following the usual protocol in criminal investigations in Ireland and much of Europe, where a formal charge does not necessarily follow an arrest, McGregor was arrested in January, questioned by law enforcement authorities and released pending further investigation, according to the people.

quote:

The woman making the allegation said it occurred at the Beacon Hotel, an establishment attached to a business park on the edge of Dublin. McGregor is an occasional guest there, usually booking its sole penthouse room, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The last and most recent visit occurred in December.

Irish news media have reported on the case since news of the assault first broke late last year, but without naming McGregor. Laws in Ireland restrict the news media from identifying individuals charged with rape unless they are convicted, which has not happened in this case.