Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I didn’t try it myself but apparently his big running grab can be jump countered like a sweep attack

Oh jeez I wish I had known that.

Either way there is an item that makes him pretty trivial. I died like 25 times to him before, and got him on try 2 after finding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wolfsheim posted:

While I had no plans to 100% the game or anything I did want to at least beat one of the Five Billionaires/Stars just to see how it went and while Kiryu's guy was easy the cabaret guy just wrecked me. I thought I was killing it at Cabaret Club but his random money bonuses just loving ruined me with like a minute to go. Is there some trick to it that I'm not getting or is it really just a matter of grinding up hostess levels or something?

Go round the relevant District for that Star in Sotenbori and partner up with every shop that'll let you. There's unfortunately nothing marking them, you just gotta go rub against every storefront in the relevant area and see if an X to buy pops up.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Dying Light is a fantastic game, and it's amazing just how bad things get even for a zombie game. They sell the anarchy of the world so well, even if the motivations of the other people (and your own character at the start) are sometime confusing or suspect as gently caress. The movement and combat are great, the game really escalates well so you go from running away to almost comfortably fighting zombies and then they introduce new enemies to be concerned about... It's a great multiplayer game too, but I never did play the pvp mode. Very hyped for the sequel, hoping for good things.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Beachcomber posted:

What does the title mean?

A far as I recall, somebody had a meltdown and called someone else a Jiminy loving cricket and then later there was a conversation about Criterion Collection movies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Chick fighting in Kiwami is way better than on Yakuza 0, because it feels more fair and the storyline about fighting kids at a children’s videogame is more entertaining.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Here's two Sekiro hot tips that took me way too long to figure out :

1) keep holding circle after you dodge to sprint :cheeky:
2) hold circle to swim faster

You shoulda seen my face when I started running faster

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Nioh wishes it was Sekiro

Nioh 2 died on the way back to its home planet

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This game is hard as gently caress yo

Word.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You shoulda seen my face when I started running faster

There are bosses where it's a legit strat to lock on and never stop sprinting. Slow rear end Dark Souls turning in its grave :rip:

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I watched a vid of the gargoyles fight in dark souls and I can't believe how far we've come. I'll still buy dark souls remastered at some stage tho

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm glad people are angry that From have made their first good action game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm glad people are angry that From have made their first good action game.

:drat:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

we gonna need a "sekushi sekis" gang tag soon

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nioh was always a clownfuck Souls ripoff with a dumb diablo loot trash hoarder collection simulator. Anyone who tries to compare sekiro to Nioh is p much a huge basic bitch.

The combat in Nioh was admittedly pretty tight though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Nioh was always a clownfuck Souls ripoff with a dumb diablo loot trash hoarder collection simulator. Anyone who tries to compare sekiro to Nioh is p much a huge basic bitch.

I liked Nioh because it felt like playing ninja gaiden and I'm excited for Nioh 2.

The duels were also awesome and I liked how many cool moves you could learn. I liked it way more than dark souls so I'm glad I've got Sekiro where I can learn new attacks rather than using the same heavy and weak combo all game. In Sekiro you can learn Kung Fu

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

The combat in Nioh was admittedly pretty tight though.

Yeah, I don't mean to clown on Nioh. I'm glad it exists. I'm glad all ninja/samurai games exist. Yes, ALL OF THEM

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Andy
DAWN

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Played Sekiro for a day, it's really good! So far I defeated a bunch of mini bosses and saw but not retried LB.
Nioh is fine too, the combat is cool but I don't like the absence of a big world to explore, and Nioh doesn't run particularly well on a slim. But Nioh 2 will have a character creator so I will finally make myself a samurai girlfriend I always dreamed about.
Coming back to Sekiro, I don't think I dislike anything yet, it doesn't even feel too difficult. The combat is probably the most fun among similar games and movement options are awesome.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sekiro is drat good. I killed a midboss by jumping over the guy's sweep attack, kicking him in the head with a jump kick and cutting his throat with deathblow. Normally that would be a scripted QTE in an action game but everything leading up to the deathblow was all my doing.

Gonna get DMCV later next month

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just want to say Sekiro is psyching me up for Nioh 2 a lot since it was mentioned before. Can't wait to make my heavy lacquer armour spearman again and just impale and hoist losers over my head all day.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The one thing nioh nailed was the ranged/melee control scheme

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm sure this has been posted probably a dozen or so times, but Amazon has the year PS+ membership on sale for $45

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RMK5QG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Nioh would be ten times better if had zero loot, the combat itself and the controls for the combat and changing stances in combos and stuff owned. And I appreciated that they even though they removed it in the second beta they committed to having running out of stamina meaning you're hosed and that it means the same for the enemies.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nioh’s loot system aggressively distracts from and drags the game down and if they don’t scale it back for 2 they absolutely have to clean it up

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

I'm sure this has been posted probably a dozen or so times, but Amazon has the year PS+ membership on sale for $45

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004RMK5QG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh poo poo, can I snap this up and keep it in my back pocket to re-up, or am I out of luck if I already have an account like with a Hulu special

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bust Rodd posted:

Nioh’s loot system aggressively distracts from and drags the game down and if they don’t scale it back for 2 they absolutely have to clean it up

Yup also the stat system makes like zero sense

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Real hurthling! posted:

I can't find the link but there was an interesting article about that with the English translator about the three part tightrope required of maintaing a ye olde fantasy tymes mythic heries fairytale sort of tone as intended while also translating crunchy mechanics stuff while also keeping it accurate to the spiritualism and mythoogy that inspired it.

The stats really are awkward and, the same way the game has a great bestiary with information about each creature and a glossary for the setting it could have also used something more upfront about why the stats mean what they do in this game compared so so many others and how that's a bit unique to it.

It's notable that the Souls games have this issue too to the opposite extreme. Demon's Souls has a terse English translation in the Asian release. The Atlus one is a lot better at describing its systems but extremely misinterprates some plot points, which makes it a bit more vage than it is. Dark Souls also had a lot of issues with this, with a lot of the tranlsation being imrproved significantly with a patch or two. It's interesting stuff in all three cases.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 24, 2019

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Real hurthling! posted:

Its really simple if you know how it actually works.

Each weapon has a primary stat you should focus on i.e Heart for Katanas.

Next you should be leveling both Dex and Magic stats equally to get various spells and capacity points to equip them.

Finally, level up your Endurance to increase your equip weight and Spirit to make your guardian spirits more powerful.

Thats all you need to do really. Equipment, skill points and spell capacity matters more than raw stats.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 24, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

WaltherFeng posted:

Its really simple if you know how it actually works.

That’s like the entire problem though, we only understand how it works now 2 years later. I was very active in Nioh at launch and surprisingly it wasn’t as simple and laid out as you’ve done here.

Sekiro has two stats, health and damage. Health goes up when you find pearls, damage goes up when you kill bosses. That is ACTUALLY easy to understand.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow I thought this thread would be all jerking off over Sekiro right now but it instead it’s all jerking off over Sekiro AND saying how other games aren’t as good as Sekiro

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Inspector Hound posted:

Oh poo poo, can I snap this up and keep it in my back pocket to re-up, or am I out of luck if I already have an account like with a Hulu special

No clue. I've been paying month to month for years now (I never realized that PS4 yearly sales went on like this)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Getting my rear end handed to me seven hundred times by be chained ogre before I remembered what the dudes I eavesdropped on said :allears:
Then getting my rear end handed to me a few hundred more times 😰😰

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 24, 2019

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I finally gave in and bought Yakuza 0. It’s pretty fun and I’m digging the story. There are definitely some reveals/references for people who have chronologically played the series, but I remember you all saying it’s still best for new players to start with this one. I don’t quite have a handle on combat yet since I tend to button mash, but potions are cheap enough. Any tips on which fighting style is best or are they situational? I tend to use Rush.

Probably intentional, but I just got introduced to Majima and was dying after the old martial arts master challenges him to a fight and there’s this long convo about fighting nobly and not wanting to hurt him too badly and then game’s like “welcome to thug style fighting, hit triangle to jab your opponent’s eyes.”

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dinosaurs! posted:

Probably intentional, but I just got introduced to Majima and was dying after the old martial arts master challenges him to a fight and there’s this long convo about fighting nobly and not wanting to hurt him too badly and then game’s like “welcome to thug style fighting, hit triangle to jab your opponent’s eyes.”

The vast vast tonal differences in Yakuza are what makes it so funny to me. You'll have these insanely tense cutscenes about mob hierarchy and then the next thing you know, a horny dude in a diaper is gyrating around asking about picking up women.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

No clue. I've been paying month to month for years now (I never realized that PS4 yearly sales went on like this)

I kept scrolling and there's a little q&a section; it's just a regular old code and the codes stack, so I'll be grabbing one of these babies for sure. Thank you!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Wow I thought this thread would be all jerking off over Sekiro right now but it instead it’s all jerking off over Sekiro AND saying how other games aren’t as good as Sekiro

That’s because they’re not as good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dinosaurs! posted:

I finally gave in and bought Yakuza 0. It’s pretty fun and I’m digging the story. There are definitely some reveals/references for people who have chronologically played the series, but I remember you all saying it’s still best for new players to start with this one. I don’t quite have a handle on combat yet since I tend to button mash, but potions are cheap enough. Any tips on which fighting style is best or are they situational? I tend to use Rush.

I didn't think one was better than the rest overall but with some of the styles it can be harder to hit the faster enemies. How situational the styles are depends on how levelled up they are. Something like Beast style becomes a lot more useful as its damage absorption becomes better because early on it can seem like it's only good for attacking with objects.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Escobarbarian posted:

the games you like are lesser for not being sekiro.

edit: let me explain how enjoying things works, you see, enjoying things is on a -10 to +10 scale. whatever used to be at +10 has to get bumped down, because its a slider, you see. there's only 20 total points of fun, and now every other game in the world is more bad. i do have sympathy but i do NOT make the rules, so i cant help.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I think Sekiro falls apart in some of these miniboss encounters. Like yeah, fighting a guy that's waiting for you where you started is a cool premise. What's not as cool is fighting him in a phone booth-sized space with the camera getting stuck on geometry, your lockon breaking constantly and his moveset being so fast most of the time you cant even make head or tails of what the gently caress is going on.

Another poorly designed part also rears its head constantly and thats having perilous moves all using the same graphic. Its a system which requires you to read the opponent and react accordinly which is great. Having the graphic be the same for for 3 different things and often covering the enemy completely fucks with the player IMO, moreso in a game like this where one poor reaction means youre dead.

Not having any RPG progression is another idea that I 100% support but that means you cant work around some poor design choices which are part of every game they made but its only now that I realize were basically a support net in case something doesn't quite work. You can only require player to be on the ball as much as your design works as expected and in this game it often doesn't. Shame because otherwise I'm enjoying it a lot.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Dinosaurs! posted:

Yakuza 0 is still my favorite of the series and it's been tough to play Kiwami/6 afterwards since I really love the dual characters of 0 alongside each having 3 fighting styles and kind of a bigger moveset. The story of 0 also feels like the best one I've played in the series so far, and afaik the amount of side content in 0 also felt like the most/best. The gang warfare of 6 is cool but 0, besides the real estates/hostess rpg just has SO much poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Inspector Hound posted:

I kept scrolling and there's a little q&a section; it's just a regular old code and the codes stack, so I'll be grabbing one of these babies for sure. Thank you!

NP! I'm know this thread moves fast so I assumed that this had been posted a few times! Glad someone was able to be able to use it.