Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

MY INEVITABLE DEBT posted:

for the Perilous/unblockable attacks, thrusts can still be deflected or dodged, sweeps can be dodged or jumped, and grabs can only be dodged/sometimes you can hit them. if you're not sure, just dodge. the reward for being correct is a lot of posture damage tho

Mikiri countering bosses feels so loving satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I really APPRECIATE this game, but man as a brand new dad there could not possibly be a worse time in my life to try to play this game. Think I'm going to have to shelve it for a while, or cheat my rear end off, 1 of the two.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
every From game has a ton of trial and error it's literally their design. but really, if you can't read attack types to counter them, there's no shame in just getting out of the way of the attack. this game has a ton of options in playstyle, once you get into it it's the furthest thing from R1 spam as people who quit out in the Outskirts claim

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Expect My Mom posted:

Just jump when you see the kanji. Jumping will always get you to safety and allow you to see what the attack was for future reference. You can almost always do the kick in the head too. When fighting Genichiro he had a mix of a thrust and a sweep, and I just didnt feel confident in myself to make that decision in the moment so I would almost always jump
that isn't true at all, a lot of thrust attacks will hit you if you do this since they home in (and usually have very long range)

someone mentioned it earlier, but one thing to figure out what kind of attack they're doing is to look for the white spark. Just like when you use your charge attack, their swords will glow with a white spark and you can usually tell what sort of attack it is by how it moves.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Andrast posted:

Mikiri countering bosses feels so loving satisfying

I like doing it on Seven Spears but he seems to have a follow up even if you do :(

I can't beat that fucker, been trying all afternoon

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Not in my exp, Sekiro leaps ten feet in the air like he stepped on a nail or back four yards like he saw a rat

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm overstating the issue. The problem is that there just isn't enough time to react to three different options for me honestly, though a lot of enemies are still too ambiguous.

Jose posted:

Hold down sprint

This did it, thanks.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
beating the castle boss felt a lot more satisfying than any other boss i've killed in a souls game and i've beaten all of them lol

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Skypie posted:

I like doing it on Seven Spears but he seems to have a follow up even if you do :(

I had a lot of trouble with that dude until I just got it and perfectly parried and countered everything he did one time.

boogiepop
Sep 24, 2018

Skypie posted:

mikiri wont let you get free hits on seven spears guy but it's still good to do to keep his posture from regenning, and you can still press the attack after you reset off of the mikiri - he'll block and do the orange flash indicator taht he's about to counter. when you deflect that counter attack he'll go veering waaaay off balance to the side and then you can gently caress him up hard with ichimonji and break his posture really fast. once i figured out the pattern of which attack to deflect to send him off balance he became easy as pie

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Jose posted:

beating the castle boss felt a lot more satisfying than any other boss i've killed in a souls game and i've beaten all of them lol
he might be my new favorite from boss

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

I'm sorry for asking a really dumb question: The resurrection penalty / rot spread - does it apply when you choose to "die" or when you choose to "resurrect?" I know how ridiculous that sounds, but I've chosen death every time, and the rot is still spreading to new NPCs.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I'm sorry for asking a really dumb question: The resurrection penalty / rot spread - does it apply when you choose to "die" or when you choose to "resurrect?" I know how ridiculous that sounds, but I've chosen death every time, and the rot is still spreading to new NPCs.

resurrect is literally a second healing tool and has no downside.

plz rez.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Your Computer posted:

that isn't true at all, a lot of thrust attacks will hit you if you do this since they home in (and usually have very long range)

someone mentioned it earlier, but one thing to figure out what kind of attack they're doing is to look for the white spark. Just like when you use your charge attack, their swords will glow with a white spark and you can usually tell what sort of attack it is by how it moves.

Pretty sure you can party thrusts in midair though

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Throne of Bhalz posted:

It happens when you die. Resurrecting either works the same as dying or does not increment it at all, not sure yet. People have been giving out really bad information in that aspect, you should absolutely be using your res.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Dying spreads rot. Dont neglect revives, you are just losing out on a chance to escape / kill your target

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Throne of Bhalz posted:

It's when you die you've been making it spread faster by not rezzing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Skypie posted:

counter the follow-up as well and he'll stumble, that's how i managed to beat him

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you can only gain rot in your inventory when you die completely and respawn at an idol. whether or not burning resurrections increases the chance of gaining rot when this happens is still kind of up in the air, but you CANNOT gain rot just from using a resurrection alone, and so using them is always preferable to dying.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
its an underrated aspect of From games but I just want to say I loving love that there aren't tons of unskippable screens before I can actually get into the game

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

:psyduck: Thanks, everyone. I had assumed that the narrative penalty was in place for using resurrection as a leg up, but it appears I was very wrong. Time to start the game over, I guess, but I'd only made it to the ogre, anyway.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I just got to some Shinobi Hunter miniboss and wish there was a sculptor stone closer to him. I ended up choosing to port out (is there no cooldown or limit on using the "hearthstone" item?) because I didn't want to lose the ~800 sen I had saved and wanted to use on getting the firecracker (which I ended up getting, increasing my ninja tool count to 4). I have a terrible time navigating these areas.

I'm guessing the pouches you can buy for 110 sen contain 100 sen? If so, an extra 10% seems like a pretty low price to avoid losing your money on death. (edit: just noticed that yes, they sell for 100. That's good and I'm going to convert pretty much all my money to these after buying maintenance stuff like beads, etc)

Also, is it just me or is the Mikiri counter easier to execute than regular parries?

edit: Generally speaking, is it "safe" to engage groups of melee enemies (without archers/guns mixed in) if you just parry everything? I've been kind of paranoid about engaging groups of more than 2 guys.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 24, 2019

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Throne of Bhalz posted:

:psyduck: Thanks, everyone. I had assumed that the narrative penalty was in place for using resurrection as a leg up, but it appears I was very wrong. Time to start the game over, I guess, but I'd only made it to the ogre, anyway.

It literally doesn't matter just keep playing

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

This game can be shockingly binary sometimes. I was getting absolutely TROUNCED by Seven Spears, died like 4 or 5 times learning his moveset. Then once it clicked I beat him without using a single gourd. Only got hit once. Very satisfying.

I like how I keep finding alternate paths and ways to go. Sunken Valley -> Gun Fort was a really fun zone overall, seems like I was meant to go there later though, judging from the fact that I found a locked door at the current "end". Maybe I should actually go to the castle now :v:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I'm a huge fan of Kurosawa movies and "Ran" specifically and getting charged at by the dude on the horse in the middle of the empty battlefield and murdering him on the first try might be my favorite gaming moment of the loving decade

game good

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BardoTheConsumer posted:

Pretty sure you can party thrusts in midair though
only if you've got the skill that lets you parry in mid-air though

Throne of Bhalz posted:

The in-game explanation for you respawning at the previous shrine after dying is literally resurrection, when it says it increases as you resurrect that means it increases when you die and respawn. Using the resurrect mechanic may or may not also have an effect but still, dying is the main thing. The game uh, could've worded it better.

use your resurrect, it's one of the main mechanics of the game

e: also don't restart the game, dragonrot is also a main mechanic of the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think I've finished a single (mini)boss without using all gourds, all pellets and probably both resurrections too lol

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Also rot only seems to spread when you don't have any exp and money to lose.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also just don't worry about dragonrot. it's sincerely not important

oh hey I finally got the ashina esoteric text, way way after I could have. I completely forgot about this guy and didn't realize I was killing the things he wanted me to kill

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The Castle's design is maybe my favourite that from has ever done. Maybe not the art or atmosphere, but the layout is incredible. It really is the centre of the whole world and it works as much as a linear level as it does a hub area. But at the same time each area makes perfect sense in relation to everywhere else and the world around it.

I will say, one thing I really miss from Souls/Borne is the giant interior spaces. When you're indoors in this game it's rarely a room bigger than 2 stories.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

After a lot of trial and error I was able to beat Lady Butterfly by simply going ham in phase 2 so she couldn't cast her illusions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6zyPLoolTI

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Regy Rusty posted:

Trial and error is an awfully dismissive way of describing "learning to read and react to enemies"

Yeah the complaints about Dark Souls gameplay always remind me of how completely alienating fighting games must seem to folks, with a hundred times more possibilities players must account for with only 1/100 of a designed "You Defeated" rewarding experience

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
the rot is just there to build cheap tension on the player to pressure them into being more methodical and less bashing your head into it over and over until the AI gives you a pattern you can exploit freely 40+ tries.

it is altogether ignoreable. ignore it. it's ok.

also of note, you can't revive again until you get a death blow in, more or less. this is important for boss fights. even if you have multiple revive containers you still need to get to a deathblow. you also might regen a revive by deathblowing a boss in the first place, though this is kinda rare in my experience.

which means never give up burn through all your rezes every time don't worry about it twist your baseball cap back and have a pokemon battle

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Regy Rusty posted:

You cannot avoid dragonrot!!! Do not play the game in a less fun way to try to avoid dragonrot!!! Just revive, do whatever it takes to win and stop worrying about it!!!

Make this the thread title

Add to this Do not restart because you've got some dragonrot!!!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Add to this Do not restart because you've got some dragonrot!!!

Did someone do that?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok, my bosses right now are old lady, and horse boi , is there other paths I can go or kill old lady and horse boy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Andrast posted:

Did someone do that?

The guy i was quoting literally said he was gonna do that lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ytlaya posted:

So I just got to some Shinobi Hunter miniboss and wish there was a sculptor stone closer to him. I ended up choosing to port out (is there no cooldown or limit on using the "hearthstone" item?) because I didn't want to lose the ~800 sen I had saved and wanted to use on getting the firecracker (which I ended up getting, increasing my ninja tool count to 4). I have a terrible time navigating these areas.

Are you talking about the spear guy? If you hug the outside walls you can cheese it by taking out the one guy at the narrow pass then just hiding for a few seconds on the inside of the little walled off areas, since enemies cannot jump walls or open doors. Or just hang off the opposite side of one of the outer walls until the enemies unaggro. Losing aggro is a braindead process in this game and basically just involves moving somewhere that the enemies cannot path to.

That guy is a pain in the rear end though, I swear the special stab deflect only works 20% of the time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Turtlicious posted:

Ok, my bosses right now are old lady, and horse boi , is there other paths I can go or kill old lady and horse boy.

old lady is way harder than horse boy who is pretty easy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Turtlicious posted:

Kill horse boy upgrade shurikens through that then kill old lady is the easy correct way agreed upon