Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

President Ark posted:

the top tier altar tops out at 11x11 in terms of footprint and needs to be open to the sky, you'll probably need some starlight collectors but they're small 3x3s

there's some other multiblocks but i don't think they're bigger than 11x11 (but also need to be open to the sky so they can't be on top of each other)

this being said, the astral sorcery altar also likes being in a specific place so i wouldn't go too hog wild building something for it until you have a fosic resonator to find a starlight field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

President Ark posted:

this being said, the astral sorcery altar also likes being in a specific place so i wouldn't go too hog wild building something for it until you have a fosic resonator to find a starlight field

You don't have to do this, you can put the altar wherever and at any height, as long as it can see the sky. If you don't have enough starlight, you can make up to four starlight relays and their associated multiblock. Place them around the altar in each cardinal direction. This will goose your starlight amount, and should give you enough to get to the point where you can make your own collector crystal, at which point you can peg the altar's meter even during the day if it's a 900/100/100.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I found a little tip/possible exploit that might be helpful in the E2E midgame: IC2 U238 (from the macerator/centrifuge process) can be melted in a smeltery, which is then oredicted into generic molten uranium. this can be pumped into a nucraft centrifuge and reprocessed for a free additional bit of U235. This includes the U238 you get from spent IC2 fuel rods. I've accumulated hundreds/thousands of those ingots, so it's actually a pretty significant source of U235. It's actually enough that I've fully automated production of LEU-235 nucraft fuel using just the leftovers from my IC2 reactor. THEN the leftover U238 from the nucraft process (which are again fairly significant) can be ingot formed into the generic uranium ingots. Pretty nifty!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You don't have to do this, you can put the altar wherever and at any height, as long as it can see the sky. If you don't have enough starlight, you can make up to four starlight relays and their associated multiblock. Place them around the altar in each cardinal direction. This will goose your starlight amount, and should give you enough to get to the point where you can make your own collector crystal, at which point you can peg the altar's meter even during the day if it's a 900/100/100.

I can confirm that this isn't the case - at least you might have to move your altar. In Sevtech at least I was unable to complete the collector crystal at midnight with four starlight relays.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

I can confirm that this isn't the case - at least you might have to move your altar. In Sevtech at least I was unable to complete the collector crystal at midnight with four starlight relays.

How close were they to each other? If they're too close, they start cannibalizing each other. I don't have a ton of data points but I've never failed to get the altar to make a collector crystal with four. Did you put lenses in the relays?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Xun posted:

Ack astral sorcery needs a lot of space. I usually like to build an area ahead of time when working on a mod, about how much space should I reserve for all of the astral sorcery crafting stuff?

Crafting altar is 11x11, infusion altar is either 9x9 or 11x11, and attunement altar is 19x19.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

What about BQ?

I haven't even bothered with it so I guess it's time to poll again: is that working okay now?

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I haven't even bothered with it so I guess it's time to poll again: is that working okay now?

I've been tinkering with it a little bit recently while futzing about with trying to make a story driven modpack, and I think it works pretty well. It even has several addon mods that add compatibility with stuff like customnpcs, which is super nice.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

How close were they to each other? If they're too close, they start cannibalizing each other. I don't have a ton of data points but I've never failed to get the altar to make a collector crystal with four. Did you put lenses in the relays?

Yeah, outside of the 12 block radius and with lenses in them, at sea level. It's possible I misconfigured something but it was just BARELY not enough to make a collector crystal.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

A couple friends of mine that haven't really gone in on modded minecraft (but have played similar stuff) are looking to take a crack at it and I'm trying to hunt down a good modpack and looking for some suggestions.

Mostly something relatively crunchy (but not gregtech-level nonsense) with quest progression and dangerous mobs that are maybe a bit more aggressive about coming at your poo poo so you have to build defensively. In lieu of that right now I'm thinking Sevtech, which feels like the top-of-the-line progression-based pack that I know of.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Patware posted:

A couple friends of mine that haven't really gone in on modded minecraft (but have played similar stuff) are looking to take a crack at it and I'm trying to hunt down a good modpack and looking for some suggestions.

Mostly something relatively crunchy (but not gregtech-level nonsense) with quest progression and dangerous mobs that are maybe a bit more aggressive about coming at your poo poo so you have to build defensively. In lieu of that right now I'm thinking Sevtech, which feels like the top-of-the-line progression-based pack that I know of.

Baby's First Space Race is a real good introduction to modded minecraft.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I have a confession to make. In all the years of playing Modded Minecraft, since 1.4.x, I have never used the Pick Block hotkey. Not once. Ever. Even though it would have made ~everything~ so much loving easier, especially when I was playing GTNH and Per Fabrica Ad Astra. So much going through my inventory moving different items to hotkeys when they existed in world nearby and could have been Pick Blocked.

Yet when playing Factorio or other factory type games, an equivalent hotkey is used pretty much all the time.

Why have I been wasting my time all these years?.... the only explanation I have is that I thought it was creative only or something.. never rebound it either.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Priapus Unbound posted:

I've been tinkering with it a little bit recently while futzing about with trying to make a story driven modpack, and I think it works pretty well. It even has several addon mods that add compatibility with stuff like customnpcs, which is super nice.

Well it can apparently import the HQM .json files so I guess I can just try it out for a bit. CustomNPCs brings up another issue. I couldn't get the NPCs to attack hostile mobs no matter how hard I tried in 1.12.2. I wonder if the procedure changed since 1.7.10.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ambaire posted:

I have a confession to make. In all the years of playing Modded Minecraft, since 1.4.x, I have never used the Pick Block hotkey. Not once. Ever. Even though it would have made ~everything~ so much loving easier, especially when I was playing GTNH and Per Fabrica Ad Astra. So much going through my inventory moving different items to hotkeys when they existed in world nearby and could have been Pick Blocked.

Yet when playing Factorio or other factory type games, an equivalent hotkey is used pretty much all the time.

Why have I been wasting my time all these years?.... the only explanation I have is that I thought it was creative only or something.. never rebound it either.

I was in the same boat for a long time, and for the same reason. Then, in some pack, I middle clicked by accident, and noticed I equipped the block I was looking at, and it was a monolith-touching moment. Now I get pissed off when mods don't implement it properly. Like, Advanced Rocketry's multiblock holograms have Pick Block support; you look at a hologram block, middle click, and you get the thing in your hand. It pisses me off when other multiblock building guides lack this feature (as in, every other mod.)

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I was in the same boat for a long time, and for the same reason. Then, in some pack, I middle clicked by accident, and noticed I equipped the block I was looking at, and it was a monolith-touching moment. Now I get pissed off when mods don't implement it properly. Like, Advanced Rocketry's multiblock holograms have Pick Block support; you look at a hologram block, middle click, and you get the thing in your hand. It pisses me off when other multiblock building guides lack this feature (as in, every other mod.)

WAIT WHAT IS THIS

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Patware posted:

I havent tried sevtech ages yet but lots of chatter itt suggests it's good.

Enigmatica 2 Expert is the other new perennially-suggested quest progression non-skyblock pack. It's extremely crunchy, but not quite like GTNH. You can rush creative flight and an AE2 system relatively early, and mobs are a pretty annoying until you kill some for their armor and weapons.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

yeah, i've played sevtech in solo myself. i think i tried loading enigmatica 2 expert once and my computer started choking but i've messed with some stuff since then and should give it another swing

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Well it can apparently import the HQM .json files so I guess I can just try it out for a bit. CustomNPCs brings up another issue. I couldn't get the NPCs to attack hostile mobs no matter how hard I tried in 1.12.2. I wonder if the procedure changed since 1.7.10.

NPCs with the guard job enabled? I just tested those out of curiosity, and was able to get them to work just fine.

For guards:
-Enable guard job
-Hit the 'Edit' button next to the guard job and select which mobs you want your guards to use their combat AI against. Note that the 'monster' option doesn't include creepers by default.

Non-guard NPCs cannot be forced to attack mobs on their own without using scripting (which I suck at) but will happily retaliate against mobs if they are attacked first and have the Retaliate option selected in their AI. Note that NPCs won't be targeted by mobs unless their faction is set to be attacked in the Global -> Factions menu.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Now I remember why I never played Enigmatica 2 Expert

drat thing crashes while still loading mods every time I try to run it

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Priapus Unbound posted:

Have you gotten a general feel for the UI? I was able to import my HQM quests without a huge fuss and it does indeed seem to work at least okay. My only gripe is some of the GUI depths I have to go through to, say, manipulate quest reward items, for example. I didn't get a good grasp of hotkeys yet either. On the other hand, having an editor where I can put in paragraphs--which implies to me I can make some bullet lists--is a godsend to trying to explain something clearly.

Priapus Unbound posted:

NPCs with the guard job enabled? I just tested those out of curiosity, and was able to get them to work just fine.

I didn't check while I had it up but I'll review what job the NPC had next time.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Honestly I found the Sevtech Ages advancement system (which I'm pretty sure is just Minecraft vanilla with some tweaking) to be the most easy to understand and straightforward quest system I've used before. You don't get quest rewards from it by default, but clearly you can hand them out as some of them do provide rewards.

Also, most quest rewards are hot garbage anyway, so it's not like you're missing out.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

So apparently gregblock got a 2.0 release the other day. They added a quest reward currency that you can use to purchase resources like cobblestone, clay, bronze ingots, and so on. I haven't played my map of it too much yet but supposedly things like pistons and pumps (the intermediate gregtech crafting materials) and so on unlock later on. I spent some of the coins on cobblestone as soon as it was available and it let me skip the irritating ex nihilo "compost saplings into dirt then sift the dirt for pebbles" part before you get a bucket of lava, so it was quite appreciated.

They also removed itemducts and fluiducts, and added project red, whose pipe system looks less like redpower's and more like logistics pipes lite. Industrial Foregoing is gone too.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Honestly I found the Sevtech Ages advancement system (which I'm pretty sure is just Minecraft vanilla with some tweaking) to be the most easy to understand and straightforward quest system I've used before. You don't get quest rewards from it by default, but clearly you can hand them out as some of them do provide rewards.

Also, most quest rewards are hot garbage anyway, so it's not like you're missing out.

Sevtech uses mods that just work over the vanilla advancements system, yeah.

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/triumph

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/better-advancements?gameCategorySlug=mc-mods&projectID=272515

I haven't used them so I don't know if they allow stuff like command execution when a particular milestone is reached. That's how sevtech did stages, in combination with the gamestages mod.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Priapus Unbound posted:

Sevtech uses mods that just work over the vanilla advancements system, yeah.

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/triumph

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/better-advancements?gameCategorySlug=mc-mods&projectID=272515

I haven't used them so I don't know if they allow stuff like command execution when a particular milestone is reached. That's how sevtech did stages, in combination with the gamestages mod.

yeah frankly more Sevtech Ages modpacks would be My Jam to the max. It's a much better system than most expert mode packs, where you end up accruing old irritating ways to make needed components over time. Having the pack get easier to make old stuff was a huge welcome when I noticed it happening.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
In Exoria are you supposed to only get 1 knapped piece for diamonds? The first time I tried it 2 pieces dropped but only 1 each since then. JEI shows 3 which I assumed meant up to 3, are the rates turned down way low in Exoria or am i just super unlucky? My friend had the same results, 2 the first time 1 every other time.
Once you get the first knapped piece if I use that I only get one from that as well which means every diamond sieve requires 8 diamonds.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Depends posted:

In Exoria are you supposed to only get 1 knapped piece for diamonds? The first time I tried it 2 pieces dropped but only 1 each since then. JEI shows 3 which I assumed meant up to 3, are the rates turned down way low in Exoria or am i just super unlucky? My friend had the same results, 2 the first time 1 every other time.
Once you get the first knapped piece if I use that I only get one from that as well which means every diamond sieve requires 8 diamonds.

I think the diceroll for knapping is broken somehow. My advice is to just cheat in an equal amount of diamonds for knapping because you get half as many as you should.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Sevtech age 3.

How am i to get rubber? Ive looked all over the nether and dont see the plant im after.
Those annoying blade things on soul sand seem to drop them, but the 2 i got from there i planted and they arent growing. :/

Cancel that, i can use leather..................

Meskhenet fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 27, 2019

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

Sevtech age 3.

How am i to get rubber? Ive looked all over the nether and dont see the plant im after.
Those annoying blade things on soul sand seem to drop them, but the 2 i got from there i planted and they arent growing. :/

I didn't need rubber for Age 3, what are you trying to build? I saw it was some nether thing and avoided it.

Edit: After playing Satisfactory, is there a mod that replicates the to-do list from that game at all? Basically the ability to pin a recipe to your UI so you can see the materials normally/etc rather than looking it up in JEI a bunch.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

I didn't need rubber for Age 3, what are you trying to build? I saw it was some nether thing and avoided it.

Edit: After playing Satisfactory, is there a mod that replicates the to-do list from that game at all? Basically the ability to pin a recipe to your UI so you can see the materials normally/etc rather than looking it up in JEI a bunch.

conveyer belts.

2nd page allowed me to use leather instead.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Falcon2001 posted:

I don't know of any mods like that, but do you have dual monitors? Best I can suggest is to put notepad++/etc in your second monitor and make a fuckton of notes. When I was playing through GTNH, I must have had a few pages of recipes for common stuff.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ambaire posted:

I don't know of any mods like that, but do you have dual monitors? Best I can suggest is to put notepad++/etc in your second monitor and make a fuckton of notes. When I was playing through GTNH, I must have had a few pages of recipes for common stuff.

Yeeep, I do exactly that, but it'd be nice to have a thing to just pin it to my UI.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Falcon2001 posted:

After playing Satisfactory, is there a mod that replicates the to-do list from that game at all? Basically the ability to pin a recipe to your UI so you can see the materials normally/etc rather than looking it up in JEI a bunch.
Mouseover something in JEI and press A. It'll move the recipe to a permanent position on the left hand side, which you can remove by pressing A again while mousing over it. This is a relatively new feature but it's stupid useful

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Whalley posted:

Mouseover something in JEI and press A. It'll move the recipe to a permanent position on the left hand side, which you can remove by pressing A again while mousing over it. This is a relatively new feature but it's stupid useful

Yeah but it's still not what I'm looking for - although it is useful and I've been taking advantage of it.

Notably it's only there in my inventory UI as opposed to just the normal world interaction UI.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/todolist ?

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
This is a long shot, but I intermittently maintain my own modpack and something in it’s upcoming update is preventing cows from dropping leather. This promises to be an absolute pain in the dick to test, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea which mod might be the cause.

Here’s the list of mods - a few mods have been added in the upcoming update but I’ve already tried removing them and the problem remains

(I’ve also tried removing forestry and better with mods, because those are inherently suspicious)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

NiftyBottle posted:

This is a long shot, but I intermittently maintain my own modpack and something in it’s upcoming update is preventing cows from dropping leather. This promises to be an absolute pain in the dick to test, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea which mod might be the cause.

Here’s the list of mods - a few mods have been added in the upcoming update but I’ve already tried removing them and the problem remains

(I’ve also tried removing forestry and better with mods, because those are inherently suspicious)

Try removing better with addons, too. IIRC, either that or better with mods modifies the leather process to require more steps.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Try removing better with addons, too. IIRC, either that or better with mods modifies the leather process to require more steps.

It's BWM that does it.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

NiftyBottle posted:

It was probably a config change.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
It was More Shearables, for reference. They took a left turn into their method being the only method to get those resources, buried in their changelog, with no mention in the mod description. :nallears: No, I don’t want to gate leather behind gold, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay, playing Sevtech. I'm about to start generating Potential Energy. Just how far away from my base do I need to put the statues? I know it's best to dig a pit for them to contain shoggoth spawns, but the list of disruptions says it can also just loving spawn monoliths. Is that true for sevtech?