Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
It took a couple of days but I received my 10 gold bars for setting up 2FA for Social Club. Definitely recommend doing it since money is such a grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Miss Grimshaw around camp is loving hilarious - she started screaming at one of the girls for reading a book and said she was going to kill her, and another time, Mary-Beth didn't want to go turn tricks in town so she told her she was going to beat her. This is my second play through - I rushed through it too fast the first time once the story going I couldn't help myself. This time, I am trying to hang out at camp more - camp loving owns.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Is there any way I can go back and buy newspapers? I've beaten the game and I want to run around with Infinite Ammo and be an rear end in a top hat with explosive rounds but the newspaper with the cheat got deleted from my inventory and now I can't buy anymore newspapers because the paperboys all are gone. Is there any way I can work around this or am I just hosed?

Edit: I've bought every newspaper I can and I'm at 16 papers and I've thoroughly read every single one of them multiple times.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 14, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Cowman posted:

Is there any way I can go back and buy newspapers? I've beaten the game and I want to run around with Infinite Ammo and be an rear end in a top hat with explosive rounds but the newspaper with the cheat got deleted from my inventory and now I can't buy anymore newspapers because the paperboys all are gone. Is there any way I can work around this or am I just hosed?

Edit: I've bought every newspaper I can and I'm at 16 papers and I've thoroughly read every single one of them multiple times.

Wait what? Newspaper gives cheats?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Wait what? Newspaper gives cheats?

Yeah I didn't know this either; apparently all/some of those non sequitur phrases and words of wisdom between columns are cheats you can enter from the settings page (press triangle? Has that always been there??)

E here's a Eurogamer page with a list of them

E2 and for what it's worth, the papers for infinite ammo are Hanover 27 or Saint Denis 43, but the site says you can only get them in chapter 2

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 14, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

They do make it so that you cannot save your game, though, so be sure to set aside 80 consecutive hours if you plan to use them

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Inspector Hound posted:

Yeah I didn't know this either; apparently all/some of those non sequitur phrases and words of wisdom between columns are cheats you can enter from the settings page (press triangle? Has that always been there??)

E here's a Eurogamer page with a list of them

E2 and for what it's worth, the papers for infinite ammo are Hanover 27 or Saint Denis 43, but the site says you can only get them in chapter 2

I'm pretty sure I bought at least one of them and I was able to buy a bunch of editions later on anyways. It's really annoying that they don't allow you to just enter the cheat if you don't have the newspaper.

Ok I can go back and repeat a mission and buy the paper and even input the cheat but when I finish that mission it still doesn't save it. loving hell that's annoying.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 14, 2019

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I don't think I've ever run out of ammo anyway and I've hung out on the hotel balcony blasting the entire St Denis police department as long as I cared to

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
The first game turned off auto-save if you used cheats...they really sucked all the fun out of cheats didn't they. Even in GTA5 the cheats work, but they only last for a limited amount of time during game play.

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Infinite ammo is a weak rear end cheat considering most players are running around with 500+ bullets that cost around $20 to refill.

You're not missing much.

Infinite bullet time would be a different story.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Explosive ammo though, that's pretty fun. Or the fire shotgun or slug ammo.

I need to see if I have those cheats. Set the world on fire my child, burn it all down...

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

So while exploring I found the Lake Don Julio house. I went in to get out of a sandstorm and spent the night and as I’m walking out there’s an inscription above the door: “Eat of Knowledge.”

Seemed pretty clearly to have some meaning so I looked it up and apparently this is also a cheat code that allows you to learn all recipes. I’m woo seeing how this works: if I use this code, does it turn off all achievements and auto saving for this save, forever?

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

No, you’ll just lose all progress after you activate it

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account
Wow, even though I knew the big plot point of chapter 6 way ahead of time, I'm still amazed how well it was executed. It felt very realistic in terms of organic introspection and growth.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

swims posted:

Infinite ammo is a weak rear end cheat considering most players are running around with 500+ bullets that cost around $20 to refill.

You're not missing much.

I just wanted it for the explosive and fire ammo because burning and blowing people up is fun :devil:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Cowman posted:

I just wanted it for the explosive and fire ammo because burning and blowing people up is fun :devil:

Uh there already is infinite fire ammo, there are infinite pigs running around. Just skin one pig for each fire bullet or arrow you want to use and slowly craft them individually up to an arbitrary limit, also you can't buy fat even though you can sell it, the shopkeepers are using all the fat you sell to craft their own fire bullets, which you also cannot buy, they need them

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Inspector Hound posted:

Uh there already is infinite fire ammo, there are infinite pigs running around. Just skin one pig for each fire bullet or arrow you want to use and slowly craft them individually up to an arbitrary limit, also you can't buy fat even though you can sell it, the shopkeepers are using all the fat you sell to craft their own fire bullets, which you also cannot buy, they need them

it’s how the trapper gets around so fast, he’s got a pig-fat powered rocket

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Putting aside the criticisms of having competitive modes with the kind of character control Rockstar gives players, the modes themselves are mind-boggling bizarre. It's like the designers haven't played a competitive video game ever. Auto-aim notwithstanding (and honestly, I think you need it because without it the shooting would be utterly trash), the way they handle spawn points in Enemy Territory (territory capture) is the antithesis of good design. Your respawn locations are spitting distance from two other teams and often you can farm them for kills as they respawn, or get headshot'd yourself as soon as your invincibility wears off. This is probably because Rockstar wants to have a half dozen teams (a few of which have drat near identical colors) instead of having two or three teams. It'd make that mode a whole hell of a lot more interesting, as interesting as Read Dead Online competitive can get.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
1.07 update

https://www.newsweek.com/red-dead-redemption-2-update-107-patch-notes-fix-crashing-lag-matchmaking-1367285

quote:

On Monday, Rockstar released a new update for Red Dead Redemption 2. While the patch notes for update 1.07 are brief, they bring a number of much-needed bug fixes, including improvements to matchmaking, crashes, lag and more. The update comes a week after the latest Red Dead Online Beta update. That update saw the addition of a new Spoils Of War mode. The Red Dead Redemption 2 1.07 patch is available now for both Xbox One and PS4. If you have trouble downloading the new update, be sure to check on Rockstar’s server status as the company has been experiencing issues with its game servers since about 12:45 p.m ET on Monday.

Matchmaking in showdown mode has been improved
Addressed issues with save data.
Added fixes for exploits with Red Dead Redemption 2 version 1.07.
RDR2 version 1.07 added fixes for crashing issues.
Fixed stuttering/lag issues.
RDR2 update 1.07 has fixed few glitches.
Added fixes for framerate drop and freezing issues.
Added performance and stability improvements.

e: looks like they moved up the amount of exp you get from hunting 20-30%

ee: Found the easiest way to get 3 headshots in a row from a sniper rifle for the 500 exp award is to do it on 3 gators that are near each other. They got big heads

Reign Of Pain fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 19, 2019

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Still on my second play through and just saw a little dialogue I haven’t seen before.

A dog comes into camp and Dutch gives jack a little lesson about not being wanted by anyone else and they name him Cain and now he is the camp dog. I pet that fucker for like 10 mins.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Some new anti-griefing stuff coming down the road:
https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60894/Red-Dead-Online-Beta-The-Road-Ahead

It's probably the best we're going to get and it's not that bad, to be honest.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

"Defensive Playing Style" sounds interesting but like... just add passive mode. They're way over complicating this.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The ammount of beautiful little details in this breathtaking game is staggering - I'm probably 60 hours in and only now, for the very first time I saw a dog making GBS threads.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

jase1 posted:

Still on my second play through and just saw a little dialogue I haven’t seen before.

A dog comes into camp and Dutch gives jack a little lesson about not being wanted by anyone else and they name him Cain and now he is the camp dog. I pet that fucker for like 10 mins.

How did you even avoid getting Cain the dog in your first playthrough?

Hobo Clown posted:

"Defensive Playing Style" sounds interesting but like... just add passive mode. They're way over complicating this.

It works for me. It's like a cowboy roleplay enforcer that doesn't completely split you off from the population as being a passive ghost does.

I guess it's not ideal if you purely only want to hunt & fish alone and not get involved in random shootouts occasionally.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

swims posted:

You're not missing much.

infinite bullet time would be loving sick and also the ability to turn off the yellow filter

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fanatic posted:

How did you even avoid getting Cain the dog in your first playthrough?

He always shows up, but if you're not doing much with the camp, it's entirely possible to never realize he's there. I think I saw him a grand total of once in my first playthrough, and didn't have any idea what he was doing there until I had that conversation with Micah near the end.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Hobo Clown posted:

It’s an incredibly strange way to implement free aim mode. Although maybe without lock on you could run melee builds in defensive mode

everyone should be able to be lassoed though wtf is that

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

every time I quick join a story mission and get If the Hat Fits the mission bugs after the explosion that knocks you off your horse, skipping the canyon fight and bringing us to the cutscene where we choose to save or kill the guy, but as soon as the cutscene is over we don’t get to choose and the mission failed cutscene pops up. Has this happened to anyone else? I havn’t found any info about it online, but it’s happened to me at least five times over the course of the last two weeks, and I don’t play this game that much as it is. It’s real loving frustrating, I’m wondering if I need to reinstall or something

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

For some reason I got some new clothing, a belt and a secondary holster in my inventory. Not sure what I did to earn it. But if you're playing a woman character and annoyed none of the shirts (even ones with colars) can't wear ties, the French Dress Shirt I got from this mysterious event is compatible with ties.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Jimbot posted:

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/60894/Red-Dead-Online-Beta-The-Road-Ahead

I look forward to using the Lemat in singleplayer again :cripes:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I wonder if they'll take a few liberties with how you reload it again :v:

Also does anyone else have progress on their daily challenges reset? I went from 4 carcasses sold to 0 last night.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Flannelette posted:

I look forward to using the Lemat in singleplayer again :cripes:

It's funny because revolvers in online are trash. If you don't kill a person with the first shot, you might as well use it on yourself. The penalty to accuracy between shots and regaining said accuracy with revolvers is the kind of poo poo you'd see on the flavor-of-the-month hitscan weapons in any other competitive game (aka weapons that are supremely powerful one-shot things but have terrible accuracy to compensate). Fanning the hammer is so pathetically weak, even to the upper body, it's not even worth using. At that range, use a shotgun which will also stun them if it doesn't outright kill them.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 22, 2019

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, I got to the first epilogue chapter. What the gently caress did the Marstons do with the money? Is there any explaination given later on? Just give me a yes/no answer please.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Palpek posted:

What the gently caress did the Marstons do with the money?

No

E- my bad, spoilered

Snowy fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 24, 2019

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

What the hell, seriously? The entire point of the end of the main plot with Arthur was that they get away with the money. There was a whole bag of it. The game can't just loving ignore it. Even a dumb explaination that Dutch got to Abigail first and took it or something would be better than this. All those missions, cutscenes with NPCs and then no follow-up. What.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

marstons didnt get the money. Dutch and micah get there first. The money comes later dont worry about. Finish the epilogue and youll see.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ok, yeah now I see the point of that answer lol. Carry on then.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Capn Beeb posted:

I wonder if they'll take a few liberties with how you reload it again :v:

Also does anyone else have progress on their daily challenges reset? I went from 4 carcasses sold to 0 last night.

The daily challenges reset each day. Maybe there was a sell 5 carcasses challenge 2 days in a row?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I've not been keeping up with the thread so it may have already been posted but holy poo poo, I just noticed the coolest most absurd detail. If you go to a railway station and look at the timetable in first person it (obviously) lists the train arrival/departures. Most people would assume these were just random, but if you go wait on the platform the bloody things actually turn up and leave according to the schedule. 99% of players aren't ever going to notice that but rockstar made sure it was accurate. You can say what you want about those guys but goddamn is that a commitment to immersion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Jimbot posted:

Updates to the character creator? Maybe we'll all get a do-over on our avatar's gender/age/skin/etc. I thought I wanted to be an old overweight woman, but my true calling is to be a dashing young Hobie Doyle type.