Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hi thread! This is my third year skiing!!

First year: 2 days Red River

Second Year: 2 days Purgatory

Third Year:
Snow Creek (look it up),
Taos,
Angel Fire,
Sipapu,
Red River

I’m kind of addicted to skiing. Every time I go out I can tell I’m getting better.

Anyway - I’m not sure if my skill level is going up, or if I finally found some skis I love.

They are called K2 Pinnacles. 170cm and 95 underfoot. What does this say about my type of skiing?

I feel like I’m just about to crossover into the carving territory, as opposed to skidding down some of the easier blacks. Definitely not a tree skier for sure.

Last question - I want to buy some goggles and a helmet. Is Smith a good brand? They had them at Taos but I wanted to see if they are really all that. Seemed like smith made goggles and helmets that “fit” together. Gimmick? Should I look at Oakley’s or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

il serpente cosmico posted:

I wonder what the "limited offering" will be? A brick with my name on it or whatever?

They are offering 1,250 "Sahale Gold" passes; a pay up front 5 year season pass.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Smith is one of the best goggle brands.

You should try on helmets until you find one you like that fits your head shape.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Ripping around CB today. Feels good to actually be out there riding hard.

Really liking the 4frnt Raven's. Ride groomers well and fun in the steeps. Not too bad in the trees but maybe not the best for that. Excited to see what they do in deep powder.

https://youtu.be/Aoqb3fPV8Mk

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

Ripping around CB today. Feels good to actually be out there riding hard.

Really liking the 4frnt Raven's. Ride groomers well and fun in the steeps. Not too bad in the trees but maybe not the best for that. Excited to see what they do in deep powder.

https://youtu.be/Aoqb3fPV8Mk

I have been happy with the 4frnt cols I set up for A/T, now if the snowpack would just calm down for some spring skiing.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Couple videos from headwall.

https://youtu.be/YhkPtIXhEkw

https://youtu.be/hN-HfnYUg6c

CB was fun today.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Those are awesome, looks like fun!

Heading out to Deer Valley tomorrow, will be my first time skiing in Utah. Really looking forward to it. I am thinking my 11 year old is going to have a great time too. Anyone have any recommendations for a place to eat in Park City that is not pretentious or super expensive? Maybe like a locals spot or something?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
i have my ski gear pretty much where i want it, what do obsess over and spend money on this offseason???

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kazak_Hstan posted:

i have my ski gear pretty much where i want it, what do obsess over and spend money on this offseason???
Googles with a strap that looks nicer with your helmet.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I just spent a week at Tremblant and Gore snowboarding with my skiing kids. Conditions were awesome although the wind was hellacious Saturday at Gore. At Tremblant, snow coverage was awesome and almost all trails were open but things were cold and a bit icy. We spent most of our time on the north/back side lapping the new Taiga and CBC glades as well as Expo a ton. The glades held a lot of soft snow and pow. We also rode the south/front face stuff off the TGV chair. Vertige was one of the few runs closed but we hit Zig Zag, Dunzee into Fripp and Eric Guay a lot. We skipped Dynamite this time because conditions were icy and the cliff was just sheer ice with no soft landing. Gore got some snow dumped on it before we arrived so conditions were excellent but super windy. The first day was tons of wind holds until noon then they were able to open up everything. All the stuff on the upper mountain was awesome. Hawkeye, Rumor and Lies had a bunch of soft snow/powder on them and the glades were super fun too. I basically spent my entire time on the Straight Brook Quad on the upper mountain. I'm exhausted now but it was an outstanding end to my season.

Looking across the fall line of Rumor. The slope is 34-35 degrees at this point (67.5% to 70% grade)

spwrozek posted:

CB was fun today.
Great video spwrozek you make the steeps look easy, I manage to make everything look hard.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 25, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I trained again for the first time since breaking my rib today. I managed four runs in the two easy slalom courses. I stayed out of the third one since the conditions were "ice sheet mixed with death cookies" so I figured for a first day back that combined with the steeper hill in my worst discipline was a recipe for disaster, especially since I'm still technically in "do not fall or you might puncture your lung" territory.

It was a lot of fun, though.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

HookShot posted:

I trained again for the first time since breaking my rib today. I managed four runs in the two easy slalom courses. I stayed out of the third one since the conditions were "ice sheet mixed with death cookies" so I figured for a first day back that combined with the steeper hill in my worst discipline was a recipe for disaster, especially since I'm still technically in "do not fall or you might puncture your lung" territory.

It was a lot of fun, though.

Do you have any videos of someone racing your courses? I'm curious what they look like and how long they are

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I will give a full trip report of my ski trips at the end of the season, I promise. But mini trip report from Deer Valley:
Great for kids. Phenomenal service. Beautiful area. Lodging is amazing. Better for beginners than Sun Valley. Easy to fly to, took a Lyft up to the resort. Literally considering moving to Utah. The biggest con, and it is a *big* one, is that the price is very high.

Also, one of the hotels has a "funicular" that goes up a hill. It is like a train and gondola mix. You can ride it for free!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Do you have any videos of someone racing your courses? I'm curious what they look like and how long they are

Our training courses are generally anywhere from 15 gates (when we run sections) to full-length FIS courses of 30-40 gates in GS to 60 gates in slalom. They can also be literally anything in between split up into different sections.

I don't have any GS or Slalom on my computer from this year for some reason haha, but here's a video of the last GS race of the year last year at Panorama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIJrqL01WI8

Please ignore the terrible skiing on the flats for the last 15 seconds or so of that video, I apparently have no idea what I'm doing.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

This is delightful. It’s been a great year.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

CB was fun today.

The good stuff. CB is one of my favorite places on earth.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Anyone else feel an irrestible urge to showboat any time they are under a lift or within good view of a lift. I swear to God if I am ever killed snowboarding, it won't be in an avalanche in the backcountry or hitting a tree in the glades, it'll be directly under a chair in full view of a ton of families.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yuns posted:

Anyone else feel an irrestible urge to showboat any time they are under a lift or within good view of a lift. I swear to God if I am ever killed snowboarding, it won't be in an avalanche in the backcountry or hitting a tree in the glades, it'll be directly under a chair in full view of a ton of families.

This is why my buddy goes down the lift runs. He just loves spinning around and around and around under the lift and having people watch him do it.

He also likes that they are usually harder runs that are full of moguls so there aren't usually a bunch of people on them.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Yeah, I feel great when I nail the mogul run under the chairlift.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

If you haven’t hot dogged the first powder run of the day under a lift while your friends look on helplessly fomo’ing from above, you haven’t really lived.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

We woke up to about a foot of blower for Banked Slalom, which is the first comp on our State Finals calendar. As the timer I don't have to be to work first thing so I dropped my pack in the timing shack & took 4 laps with our Southern League president on our closed course hitting up the fresh on sides. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't living for the hooting & hollering coming from our riders & coaches above us. I found a lovely piece of transition, right below the chair, in the whoops section that sent me a good 15-20 feet into fluff. They were some of the best turns I made this season.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
30" of snow up here at my spots in VT last weekend. Best powder I've hit all season.

"The Rat" is not an official trail you will find anywhere on the mountain maps; hence, it must always be found and skiied. Hardly a secret, though, I hit it right off the bat and it was already more packed in than a lot of the glades (some of which still had feet of virgin powder on them when I decided to call it a day).

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Moot . posted:

This is delightful. It’s been a great year.
It was so so good. The east coast is really benefiting from this last refresh. We didn't have the insane season of California and Colorado but we've been having a lot of fun too.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Dang Bear Creek you lookin good

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Meanwhile Alberta is missing most of it and now getting warmer.

Heading to Sunshine tomorrow, hopefully they will be getting the predicted 10ish cm of fresh overnight

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Spent 3 days in Tahoe. Predictably, we managed to book just about the least snow of the entire season.

Lift tickets were reasonable at Squaw after purchasing a few "Spring Ticket Trios" and and distributing them among the group coming out to $93 a day.

First day at Squaw there was maybe an inch or two overnight, which sounded fine but was really just covering up the skiied out bumps of the previous day, making for an unpredictably rough time of many otherwise good looking slopes. The terrain at Squaw was not very good, imo, for this type of day. We really could have been anywhere, there was no advantage to traveling across the country to go to Squaw. This compared to say, Jackson Hole, where I found many very interesting and cool runs despite having poo poo snow the entire time we were there.

Day 2, we knew there wasn't going to be any new snow, and several of the group had Epic passes, so we went to Northstar. The day lift rate was an eye-popping $160, but thankfully we knew someone that worked there, and got half off employee tickets for $80. It was at least evident where the money was going, as multiple ski-wranglers helped your gear in an out of the gondola, and the dozens of groomers were perfect corduroy. It was a fun day of smooth slopes and fast runs, and then... the park. My god the park. Or should I say, the 10 side by side parks that take up a quarter of the mountain? This set of parks was godamn amazing. From the boardercross style banked curve run to the little roller sets and progressively larger and larger jumps, step ups, side hits, and two halfpipes, plus the prerequisite quiverfull of various rail hits, it had something for everyone, but not only that, the way it was set up was such that you could cut back and forth between the parks on a long run down, taking hits of various sizes and shapes at your leisure.

Day 3, snow! Hooray, for about 4-5 inches overnight on the upper mountain, so we headed back to Squaw. Headed straight over to Granite Chief for a few runs and still found a lot of fresh powder despite getting out a bit late, but the lift lines were really dragging, so we lapped Silverado a bunch of times. Some pretty steep stuff over here, and more terrain than a lot of mountains have total served by this one lift. Pretty fun runs, but I can see it really being at max enjoyment when there is like a solid foot of fresh, and you can really attack the steep stuff and cliffs. Various runs on the rest of the mountain were much more enjoyable than the first day, but after Northstar I just have to laugh at how pathetic the Squaw parks were. Not just at the lack of size and variety, but because, apparently, they don't even bother to groom when they get a few inches of snow, and instead just CLOSE THE JUMPS. So their terrain parks consisted of a few rails in the tiny park, a few gnarly rails in the big park (way too hard for me), and zero jumps. whomp.

And of course, after I leave they are expecting 10-15 inches tonight.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Northstar is just a park. Works out good for the joke name is gets (flatstar).

Squaw has great terrain. Sounds like your day one was exactly the conditions at created Butte I had last weekend. Just depends if you like attacking that terrain and conditions or not. I didn't even know squaw had a park honestly...

Sounds like a good trip though.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Sunshine was great today, seems they got more snow than predicted and so we were laying fresh tracks in boot deep powder all morning. For spring break it was pretty empty too. A few total white outs did make a couple runs extra challenging

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I skied a decent length day today and had zero rib pain at the end of it. Now I have three days of training, then going to Pano for more training before spring series.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

HookShot posted:

I skied a decent length day today and had zero rib pain at the end of it. Now I have three days of training, then going to Pano for more training before spring series.

:toot:

asur
Dec 28, 2012
@Elysium what prompted you to travel across the country to Tahoe? I dont think I've ever met someone there who didn't travel by car from Cali or Nevada or was joining people who did that.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It must have been the Hotdog youtube post.

Fair.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

asur posted:

@Elysium what prompted you to travel across the country to Tahoe? I dont think I've ever met someone there who didn't travel by car from Cali or Nevada or was joining people who did that.

It is really easy to get to. Flights to Reno can be cheap. Easier drive vs Denver to Dillon. Lots of resorts, good snow. Very beautiful.

It is an awesome place to travel to when Cali is getting snow.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Well we did know someone who was there (the Northstar employee), but mainly it was just the next stop on the list of places to try after various mountains like Breck, Park City, and Jackson Hole. There was talk of trying Big Sky next year.

I've been angling for a Baldface Lodge trip, but it's hard to get people to commit to something so expensive so far in advance.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 28, 2019

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Spent a few days at Sun Peaks on March Break.

We'd never been there before so it was a different experience. We had a mixed bag of conditions. Sometimes pretty good snow up top but hard/ice midway and then into the heavy slush.

Some runs were just icy death traps.

Loved the village though. We look forward to going back mid-season when the snow is full on.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

https://youtu.be/KTFG9YDV_8o

Just watch the whole thing

E: I mean what is this? Hitchcock man...

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 29, 2019

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Kinda looked like you did mean to kill your brother there, bud

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

In the vein of Hot Dog the movie, the other must-see movie (I think it's linked in the OP) is G.N.A.R. https://vimeo.com/18809446

Are there any other movies similar to GNAR that meld skiing and jackass?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwells Demon posted:

In the vein of Hot Dog the movie, the other must-see movie (I think it's linked in the OP) is G.N.A.R. https://vimeo.com/18809446

Are there any other movies similar to GNAR that meld skiing and jackass?

Ski Patrol or Ski School?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Out Cold. Great snowboarding comedy.