Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
My wife and I watched Creep last night on Netflix and really enjoyed it. The movie does a great job at making you feel creeped out and cringey with very little effort, and on a what I assume was a low budget. Creep 2 on the other hand, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Creep 2 was even better than the first and can't wait for 3

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

precision posted:

I thought Creep 2 was even better than the first and can't wait for 3

Creep 2 just seemed less suspenseful and scary overall, and more silly than anything else.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's all keyframed according to the studio. No rotoscoping involved.

Yeah it’s pretty incredible. I wonder what their weekly quota was.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some of the shorts go into serious uncanny valley territory but I legit thought that one was real actors. Probably harder to spot because it’s so stylized instead of going for photo realism like some of the others.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone watch Hitoshi Matsumoto Presents Documental on Prime?

It's really good. It's a Japanese sort of reality game show experiment. Matsumoto picks 10 comedians, invites them to spend 6 hours locked in a room. They compete for a 10 million yen pot (they all have to put their own 1 million in.) The idea is they can't laugh. The more they laugh the more they risk getting kicked out.

There's only two seasons, and they're pretty short. I thought it was pretty funny.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

veni veni veni posted:

Some of the shorts go into serious uncanny valley territory but I legit thought that one was real actors. Probably harder to spot because it’s so stylized instead of going for photo realism like some of the others.

I remember going "Holy poo poo this looks amazing!" and then felt stupid when realizing the episode Ice Age was using live action.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hahaha I literally just finished that one and had the exact same thing happen.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Binged the second season of The OA and would like to thank Netflix for having enough gently caress-you-money to sink into such a project.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Jack's Flow posted:

Binged the second season of The OA and would like to thank Netflix for having enough gently caress-you-money to sink into such a project.

The first episode made me sigh, and I haven't had enough energy to watch any more. I probably will, I just... of all the ways to address the ending of last season, that may be the least satisfying one.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Piell posted:

Go to your Spotify account overview page, there should be a thing for Hulu up top.

Also, I have adfree, and that isn't supported either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked Love Death and Robots a lot more than I was expecting to. Really I didn't think any of them were terrible. None of them really blew me away either but I thought the whole ordeal was a lot of fun to watch. Witness stuck with me the most just because the animation was so cool and it was so loving dirty.

Some of the photo realistic ones were weird. Like, why is this even animated? Just looks a like a regular movie except everyone has hosed up faces. It's crazy though it was actually loving with my brain how real some of them looked.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Yeah the ones like The Space Marine Dropship That Loved Me basically look like PS3 games to me.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Someone recommended The Last Man on The Moon in thread talking about Apollo 11 and its really good, on netflix currently. The shots of the run down launch site are depressing though

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Love Death and Robots was pretty good. I was really high but I could still tell that the writing was slacking in a few places. Still, seeing an animated anthology actually get made in 2019 more than made up for it.

Suits was awesome and probably my favorite, Zima Blue was a close second. Shapeshifters was loving lame.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

tweet my meat posted:

Shapeshifters was loving lame.

I kept wondering why were soldiers so adamant in bullying with super creatures that could tear their heads off of their spine with a simple flick of their wrist.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Ohhh, Mascots is a Christopher Guest movie. All this time scrolling, I had no idea.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is the original Mobile Suit Gundam streaming anywhere? I see remakes and sequels and other stuff, but I wanna see the original rear end Gundam. I didn't have the patience to watch it as a kid on Toonami back in the day.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is the original Mobile Suit Gundam streaming anywhere? I see remakes and sequels and other stuff, but I wanna see the original rear end Gundam. I didn't have the patience to watch it as a kid on Toonami back in the day.

Most anime shows have an episode where it suddenly gets better and fans will tell you as long as you get to that episode you’ll get hooked. Gunman has no such episode. It starts out pretty dumb and bad but every single episode is slightly better than the last. The quality of the show is a perfectly straight diagonal line over the course of its 50 episodes and by the end it gets so epic that your eyes are wide at the sight of fleet destroying machines and you’re streaming tears constantly because of the drama.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 27, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing I do want to say about love death and robots is that the title is terrible and I think i would have watched it sooner if it had a better name. Imo they should have just licensed the Heavy Metal name which would have been way cooler.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Detective No. 27 posted:

You should definitely watch the original Gundam, but there are no legal streaming solutions.

You can, however, watch Gundam: The MS 08th Team on Hulu and it's real good. I would recommend it to anyone with an interest in cartoon robots.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

13-year-old me would kill me for saying this but the awful CGI titties all over Love Death & Robots are pretty cringeworthy

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

Ohhh, Mascots is a Christopher Guest movie. All this time scrolling, I had no idea.

I found it one of his weakest but still pretty good. Probably a bit better than Inherit the Wind.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

precision posted:

I found it one of his weakest but still pretty good. Probably a bit better than Inherit the Wind.

It felt a bit like he was cribbing off of Best in Show, but with silly subject instead of a real one.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

precision posted:

I hope you mean A Mighty Wind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lmao yeah.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If you have Amazon Prime, everyone should see Cast a Deadly Spell

Pretty fun made-for-HBO movie from the early 90s. Fred Ward stars as a detective in late-40s Los Angeles where magic and witches are real. Also has Julianne Moore and David Warner, directed by Martin Campbell. It can be a little cheap-looking at times, but I admire how it totally runs with the concept in full earnest.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Pretty fun made-for-HBO movie from the early 90s. Fred Ward stars as a detective in late-40s Los Angeles where magic and witches are real. Also has Julianne Moore and David Warner, directed by Martin Campbell. It can be a little cheap-looking at times, but I admire how it totally runs with the concept in full earnest.

I had heard about it forever and was psyched when HBO finally made it available to stream. Julianne Moore is a knockout, and Clancy Brown plays the villain. There is a still-unavailable sequel, Witch Hunt, in which Dennis Hopper replaced Fred Ward as Detective Lovecraft.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Fred Ward Remo Williams is just the best.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I kept wondering why were soldiers so adamant in bullying with super creatures that could tear their heads off of their spine with a simple flick of their wrist.

yeah they dropped the ball worldbuilding in that one. you get bits of human-werewolf tension that are key to the lead's character arc and they fall completely flat because it's just some marine calling him the werewolf n word or whatever

i felt like there was body language between the were-marine and osama bin lycan but i was pretty high and didn't pick up on anything beneath face value

i thought the other creature features were cool though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hate reality TV so much, but there is something about Queer Eye that transforms me into a middle aged suburban woman and I can't get enough of it.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I had heard about it forever and was psyched when HBO finally made it available to stream. Julianne Moore is a knockout, and Clancy Brown plays the villain. There is a still-unavailable sequel, Witch Hunt, in which Dennis Hopper replaced Fred Ward as Detective Lovecraft.

I looked this up and the sequel is directed by Paul Schrader, what the hell, that sounds amazing.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

I hate reality TV so much, but there is something about Queer Eye that transforms me into a middle aged suburban woman and I can't get enough of it.

Queer Eye is wonderful. Jonathon Van Ness is my spirit animal.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

:yeah:

I caught it for the October horror challenge. I knew it was up my alley based on the description, but I was blown away by how great it was. And though I admire the subversion of the virgin sacrifice trope, the way they went about it was verry problematic. The whole thing ends in a "thank god for statutory rape!" joke that has really not aged well.

Wish the semi-sequel was available in HD. The incredibly low quality available even in :filez: has prevented me from catching it—pretty sure it's a VHS rip.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
The Dirt feels like a raunch comedy from the 70/80s and it honestly should have just deviated from trying to be a celebratory music biopic. The comedown part of the movie, basically the last 50 mins are just dull. The first part is really energetic, but lol at trying to be I dunno, redemptory to all the nasty poo poo they did.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Honest Thief posted:

The Dirt feels like a raunch comedy from the 70/80s and it honestly should have just deviated from trying to be a celebratory music biopic. The comedown part of the movie, basically the last 50 mins are just dull. The first part is really energetic, but lol at trying to be I dunno, redemptory to all the nasty poo poo they did.

Yeah there's a fun 30 minutes in there between "Shout at the Devil" and the car crash but they tried way too hard to make Tommy "wifebeater" Lee look like "just a cool bro" and ugh. The only one who wasn't a total piece of poo poo was Mick Mars

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

It's pretty much Who Framed Roger Rabbit meets Tales From The Crypt, which means it's excellent.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I''ll also vouch for Cast a Deadly Spell. Film Noir but magic is real, go watch it already it's real fun.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They should also have the spiritual sequel Witch Hunt, which has Dennis Hopper take over the role of H. Phillip Lovecraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Franchescanado posted:

It's pretty much Who Framed Roger Rabbit meets Tales From The Crypt, which means it's excellent.

oh gently caress that sounds awesome