Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

No cuffs on Swing Time?

I'm in for that, plus War and Peace. Though, Hedwig looks interesting.

Unmature posted:

Are many of Bergman’s films that were left out if the box set essential? I figure if I make it through this thing (currently on Summer Interlude) I may as well keep going

The consensus seems to indicate that Face to Face is the only significant work. The rest of the omitted theatrical features were apparently not quite admired by Bergman himself (I know he didn't like High Tension). Though, it seems like a lot of his television work is interesting, so maybe Criterion will do something like an Eclipse set of that stuff, especially since a lot of the 80s/90s stuff is SD anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I might be missing some but here’s the omissions I listed from the Bergman set:

It Rains On Our Love (1946)
Music in Darkness (1948)
Prison (1949)
This Can’t Happen Here (1950)
Face To Face (1976)
The Blessed Ones (1986)
In the Presence of a Clown (1997)

Unmature
May 9, 2008
My car got totaled a couple months ago and I realized too late I left my True Stories soundtrack in it but Criterion just sent me a replacement for free!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Unmature posted:

My car got totaled a couple months ago and I realized too late I left my True Stories soundtrack in it but Criterion just sent me a replacement for free!

This would make a good segment for a True Stories sequel

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How is the mall featured in True Stories doing these days?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Against all odds, the True Stories mall is still going strong

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Any thoughts on Beyond the Hills or Au hasard Balthazar?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Au hasard Balthazar is great, but not the easiest introduction to Bresson, whose extremely ascetic style can seem very off-putting at first. I think A Man Escapes is a better starting point into his filmography, since the minimalism complements its story very well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
bresson SUCKS

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hm, good point, but have you considered the possibility that it is actually you who sucks. :colbert:

I totally get not liking him. It took me like three films before I warmed up to him and three more before I was ready to call him one of the greats.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I liked Au Hasard Balthazar, Pickpocket, and A Man Escaped but man I did not think his Lancelot movie worked super well.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Hm, good point, but have you considered the possibility that it is actually you who sucks. :colbert:

I totally get not liking him. It took me like three films before I warmed up to him and three more before I was ready to call him one of the greats.

I've seen three of his films, including Balthazar twice, and they've all been complete blanks to me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Out of curiosity, which three have you seen?

Raxivace posted:

I liked Au Hasard Balthazar, Pickpocket, and A Man Escaped but man I did not think his Lancelot movie worked super well.

Great poster though.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Only Bresson I've seen is Pickpocket, but it's a great film. A Man Escaped and Balthazar have been on my watchlist for a while.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Samuel Clemens posted:

Out of curiosity, which three have you seen?

Balthazar, Pickpocket, and Diary of a Country Priest. I don't know what it is that I'm missing, but all three, including my revisit of Balthazar, put me in this state where, academically, I understand what's going on, but I feel absolutely nothing while watching them, which is just the worst.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Balthazar, Pickpocket, and Diary of a Country Priest. I don't know what it is that I'm missing, but all three, including my revisit of Balthazar, put me in this state where, academically, I understand what's going on, but I feel absolutely nothing while watching them, which is just the worst.

This is exactly me with all the French New Wave I've watched; I get it, I get why it's important, but I absolutely cannot connect with it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Same.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I, Butthole posted:

This is exactly me with all the French New Wave I've watched; I get it, I get why it's important, but I absolutely cannot connect with it.

"French New Wave" covers a wide variety of styles. Truffaut, Godard, Resnais, Rohmer, Rivette, Demy, Varda... these directors are almost nothing like each other.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
https://youtu.be/D9135gpuT5w

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The only recommendation I can give is to watch L'Argent. If that doesn't affect you either, then I think Bresson is a lost cause for you.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino's insider guy confirmed they had hoped to have a Powell & Pressburger film, as well as a Powell film from the StudioCanal deal... but another label has them. Pretty much confirms Criterion got The Tales of Hoffmann and Peeping Tom back. (Kino is still releasing Gone to Earth/The Wild Heart on license from Disney, though)

Plus, some of Kino's SC licenses are on Kanopy, so along with other confirmations, here's the former Criterions they got:

Bob le flambeur
The Milky Way
Quai Des Orfevres
Alphaville
Le doulos
Kind Hearts and Coronets
Last Year at Marienbad
Port of Shadows

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Criterion Channel lineup news

I was wondering if they would be licensing much from elsewhere to add to their own content, and it looks very promising.

quote:

The new service will host the Criterion Collection and Janus Films’ ever-growing library of more than 1,000 feature films, 350 shorts, and 3,500 supplementary features, including trailers, introductions, behind-the-scenes documentaries, interviews, video essays, commentary tracks, and rare archival footage. It will also feature a constantly refreshed selection of films from a wide array of studio and independent licensors including Sony Pictures, Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, Metro Goldwyn Mayer (MGM), Lionsgate, IFC Films, Kino Lorber, Cohen Media, Milestone Film and Video, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild, Strand Releasing, Shout Factory, Film Movement, and Grasshopper Films. Additional licensors will be added in the coming months.

Super jazzed

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The first month lineup is sick as heck

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Filmstruck was very VPN friendly, this new thing doesn't seem to be which is a huge bummer.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm kinda glad its not just all of it up all the time. That would make the huge amount of money I waste on blu rays just plain silly

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

quote:

MONDAY, APRIL 8
Spotlight: Columbia Noir
Eleven dark gems from the studio that epitomized the hard-boiled essence of film noir:

My Name Is Julia Ross (Joseph H. Lewis, 1945); So Dark the Night (Joseph H. Lewis, 1946); The Big Heat (Fritz Lang, 1953); Human Desire (Fritz Lang, 1954); Drive a Crooked Road (Richard Quine, 1954); Pushover (Richard Quine, 1954); Nightfall (Jacques Tourneur, 1957); The Burglar (Paul Wendkos, 1957); The Lineup (Don Siegel, 1958); Murder by Contract (Irving Lerner, 1958); Experiment in Terror (Blake Edwards, 1962)

These three are among my all-time favorites, and Human Desire is way up there too.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Unmature posted:

I'm kinda glad its not just all of it up all the time.

I thought this was the case when I read that post this morning, but going back and reading again, they seem to have added this note:

quote:

Films in the permanent streaming library will be continuously available to all Criterion Channel subscribers at all times, regardless of whether they are being spotlighted in thematic programming. Films licensed specifically for featured thematic programming may be available for shorter periods, but all films will be available for a minimum of ninety days unless otherwise noted.

Which is a relief.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Even if they didn't have any major studio support (as was the case with the Hulu version of The Criterion Channel), they still have a ton of content.

Basically, imagine having every Eclipse DVD set available for streaming, with most in HD. Or being able to watch every Kurosawa, Tarkovsky, Truffaut, Chaplin, or Bergman film.

But also a lot of lesser-known stuff. I never got around to watching all the obscure Japanese films. Or the World Cinema Project stuff.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 22, 2019

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
The only thing that has ever mattered is coming back into our lives!!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Electronico6 posted:

Filmstruck was very VPN friendly, this new thing doesn't seem to be which is a huge bummer.

Got a source on this? I'm hoping to subscribe at some point but will have to set up a VPN for it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

I, Butthole posted:

Got a source on this? I'm hoping to subscribe at some point but will have to set up a VPN for it.

I'm using NordVPN and when connected to the US the subscription page still says service not available in your country.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Things might change when the site is fully up since they're using VHX until April 8.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Egbert Souse posted:

Things might change when the site is fully up since they're using VHX until April 8.

Is my inability to watch the weekly picks on my """""""external monitor""""""" because of this?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i signed up for a charter subscription but won't be putting down actual money until there's a ps4 app.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

R. Guyovich posted:

i signed up for a charter subscription but won't be putting down actual money until there's a ps4 app.

Pretty sure you're gonna get billed on April 8th if you're a Charter Member. I'm not positive, but I think that's what the sign-up says.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Franchescanado posted:

Pretty sure you're gonna get billed on April 8th if you're a Charter Member. I'm not positive, but I think that's what the sign-up says.

Unless they changed something you get a 30-day free trial and then you get billed.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Unless they changed something you get a 30-day free trial and then you get billed.

That makes more sense. Thank you!

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Boy, watching Detour and then looking up that lead actor sure was something.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Franchescanado posted:

correction, i signed up to get the emails and get offered a charter subscription. i never gave them credit card info. so i will probably not be a charter member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Peacoffee posted:

Boy, watching Detour and then looking up that lead actor sure was something.
Yeah it kind of puts all of Detour into a different light when you read up on Tom Neal.