Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Clerical Terrors posted:

The fallacy in Thompson's argument wasn't that media does not influence people, it's that he tended to claim it worked almost like brainwashing, that kids playing violent video games would almost immediately reproduce the violence they saw by virtue of having seen it. This is wrong mostly in how oversimplified and presumptive it is. Watching The Big Bang Theory probably won't make you talk like Sheldon and carry a soundboard with a laugh-track anywhere, but it does lodge ideas in your head. And if those ideas only ever get reinforced and never contradicted they can influence people's reasoning in unnoticed ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxEFNFOVTw

Innuendo Studio has a great video about what research has actually shown on this topic. Briefly, media doesn't directly affect your personality, but it does affect people view of the world. Violent media don't make you violent, but they can convince you that violence is more widespread and accepted than it really it is. People react to such ideas in different ways. Violent people may be more likely to resort to violence, because they think people won't care, whereas non-violent people might decide to stay home out of fear of widespread violence. Similarly, sexist media won't turn you sexist, but it might lead you to believe that sexism is more mainstream and accepted than it really is, making you less likely to call out your friends for sexist attitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Still awfully sad to see his once booming and attention grabbing voice rendered so soft and quiet, but he seems to be recovering quite well from the stroke.

I never heard he had a stroke, was this recent?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dabir posted:

I never heard he had a stroke, was this recent?

Is 2012 still considered "recent"? It paralyzed him from the waist down and took away his ability to speak for a good long while. He's recovered considerably since the last time I saw video of him, but apparently he's still confined to a wheelchair. You can really hear how bad it hosed him up in Over the Garden Wall, which was done in 2014.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
When will they finally make an Isekai starring Youtubers?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
For all of the 3 people that were holding their breath, Night Mind's series on House of Leaves is just real fuckin' bad. The first video worked in clips from a channel that was obviously not real, of someone who claimed to be a character from one of the books, and that sucked. But I was like "eh as long as there's some analysis, I'll stick with it".

The second video is out and I cannot even finish it. He has always had a problem with putting long unedited clips from the original material into his own videos. A prime example of this is in his video on This House Has People In It. To illustrate one of his theories about the work, he shows a video of some guy who thinks eating horse apples cures cancer (or something). Which is fine, but he plays like the entire 5 minute clip when it could have been a 15 second summary. It causes his videos to be bloated and annoying to sit through if you have already watched the source material.

Since he's covering a book and not a video series this time, I guess I figured that he wouldn't be able to do that. Silly me, I guess I should have expected him to just read out loud large sections of the book verbatim. And not only read them out, but read them out in a "dramatic" tone of voice which feels like high-school quality acting.

I shouldn't have expected more, I guess, I was just looking forward to someone doing a House of Leaves analysis. Maybe Nightmare Masterclass will do one someday.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

Since he's covering a book and not a video series this time, I guess I figured that he wouldn't be able to do that. Silly me, I guess I should have expected him to just read out loud large sections of the book verbatim. And not only read them out, but read them out in a "dramatic" tone of voice which feels like high-school quality acting.

Oof. That's a book that works better visually than in audio in the first place, even.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Clerical Terrors posted:

I Entered a Parallel World Where Minorities Are Enslaved By My Ideal Utopian Ethnostate And I Couldn't Be Happier!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

an isekai where they just chill and hang out drinking with fantasy creatures at a bar in the fantasy reincarnation land

There's at least two of those shows.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Trapped In Another World With My Facecam

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

There's at least two of those shows.

I know Restaurant to Another World is one, but I can't think of the other off the top of my head.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

jim doing another puff piece smh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foeYsvbOxJ0

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"HOW CAN YOU SAY THIS AND HAVE A SCREW STEAM VIDEO ANSWER ME THAT JIM STERLING!"

AllmyFrench78
Apr 16, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s77a8uxhVCw&t=2s
Some jerk with a camera does a One Movie Later on Wonder Park.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sucks about Nick's new House of Leaves videos but hey it got me to read the book finally. When I'm done I'm sure I'll get to the videos and find that they're not so bad

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I started the book too. A found-footage novel seems like a weird choice, but I'm into it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah I'm just about finished with the book and it's pretty good overall, if the videos are bad at least they got me to read a book.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Just read the book. None of these jack offs do it justice. In fact if I picked it up after having one of these guys telling me "their thoughts" it would have been a substantially worse read.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I don't get why they pretend House of Leaves is some kind of monolith of meaning. it's good but it's definitely not complicated. I blame high school English

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think it's an impressive work. People are definitely hyperbolic about it, but the idea of a self contained ARG in book form is a cool concept and I think the execution was good. It leaves a lot of room for interpretation, which is why I hope more people pick up on it online.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It seems like a novel that really hits that boundary between "neat plot mechanics explainer" and "literary analysis" as far as what is needed to develop a satisfactory reading, and I feel like a lot of spooky youtube channels are on the wrong side of that divide.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
This book sounds interesting. Is this the book you guys are talking about?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Still awfully sad to see his once booming and attention grabbing voice rendered so soft and quiet, but he seems to be recovering quite well from the stroke.

Tim Curry's voice has gone to the one place that hasn't been tainted by capitalism.

Jim is a complete and utter hack.

I'm talking about him saying Steam community, reviews and curators is in any way a positive thing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

This book sounds interesting. Is this the book you guys are talking about?

Yes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Leal posted:

Tim Curry's voice has gone to the one place that hasn't been tainted by capitalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKdQjqyEhuY

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

I don't get why they pretend House of Leaves is some kind of monolith of meaning. it's good but it's definitely not complicated. I blame high school English

I mean that's kind of Night Mind's whole schtick: taking stuff he likes and declaring it to be amazing works of Art.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
GATE is one of those lovely web novels that has been readapted several, several times and is still very weird, racist, and hosed up even though it has been toned DOWN in every iteration

The author is a hardcore JSDF booster and like most is a weirdo hyper-nationalist and racist. Iirc also a war crime denier but I can't remember where that came up exactly so I no longer have a way to offer up hard proof on that.

Overlord is overall less problematic (still having several elements that are) and has an author who is just kind of a perverted dude who is huge into DnD instead of a right wing psycho but hoo boy some of the original material before it was a light novel/anime

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nothing is safe :smithicide:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Jim is a complete and utter hack.

I'm talking about him saying Steam community, reviews and curators is in any way a positive thing.

I'm confused, didn't you earlier complain he defended the Epic Store too much? Now he makes a video trashing the Epic Store and suddenly he defends Steam too much? Do you just not like online-stores in general, or are you just insane?

Cicadalek posted:

For all of the 3 people that were holding their breath, Night Mind's series on House of Leaves is just real fuckin' bad. The first video worked in clips from a channel that was obviously not real, of someone who claimed to be a character from one of the books, and that sucked. But I was like "eh as long as there's some analysis, I'll stick with it".

The second video is out and I cannot even finish it. He has always had a problem with putting long unedited clips from the original material into his own videos. A prime example of this is in his video on This House Has People In It. To illustrate one of his theories about the work, he shows a video of some guy who thinks eating horse apples cures cancer (or something). Which is fine, but he plays like the entire 5 minute clip when it could have been a 15 second summary. It causes his videos to be bloated and annoying to sit through if you have already watched the source material.

I shouldn't have expected more, I guess, I was just looking forward to someone doing a House of Leaves analysis. Maybe Nightmare Masterclass will do one someday.

Thank god, I thought I was the only one who got bored into submission by Nigh Mind's second video. And I say this as someone who loved the book.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Libluini posted:

I'm confused, didn't you earlier complain he defended the Epic Store too much? Now he makes a video trashing the Epic Store and suddenly he defends Steam too much? Do you just not like online-stores in general, or are you just insane?

Nope, that person wasn't me.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Just read Pale Fire, it's shorter and funnier

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sometimes I wonder if Nick getting caught up in all these little details is in character. An otherworldly being would have these peculiar curiosities.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It seems like a novel that really hits that boundary between "neat plot mechanics explainer" and "literary analysis" as far as what is needed to develop a satisfactory reading, and I feel like a lot of spooky youtube channels are on the wrong side of that divide.

The best comparison I have ever heard is that House of Leaves is basically just the Mars Volta

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 26, 2019

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Nope, that person wasn't me.

Well, poo poo. I guess I owe you an apology. I was really, really sure that was you, but I probably got confused by a similar looking avatar or something.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The curse of the anime avatar, also probably my shitposting history.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Good it's about time

e: jim no don't watch puppet master don't do that to yourself

ee: I think another thing he fails to mention is that if they really want to play the game they'll just pirate it. It takes more effort to set up an epic account than it does to boot into whatever tracker you have and grab a copy of metro or outer worlds or w/e, and Epic has said they're covering lost sales so it's like you're not even pirating at all!

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 25, 2019

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Pants Donkey just described the average American and British sitcom from at least the mid 80s until the present.
Seinfeld had one of the best sitcom endings because it's the creator sitting the viewers down and explaining in detail how all your favorite characters are horrible human beings.

TheMaestroso posted:

I like the new guy - he's really funny!
I feel like he's using swearing as a bit of a crutch so far, but there's potential.I feel like him explaining a kids movie would come out really well, just from his delivery alone.

Cicadalek posted:

I had avoided it because I was still in the process of reading it, but good to know. Sadly I'm not too surprised - his wheelhouse has been making bad stuff seem good, or using a vast amount of info elsewhere on the good ones (read: Adult Swim and company) to put together a coherent explanation for him to go off of.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Clerical Terrors posted:

They already made an anime about virtual youtubers, so soon, probs

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I thought you tubers went on to star in Disney kid shoes

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Hasn’t every Youtuber after Fred hosed up their Disney deal by being huge dumbasses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
an isekai about a guy reincarnating into a fantasy world but he still ends up with a desk job there