Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, ginger liqueur is extremely easy too. I'm on my second batch. You just steep the stuff in the liquor for a month and then filter. If you want, you can make liqueur by taking the steeped ginger and steeping it further in some simple syrup to add back into the mixture. As with limoncello, the only real work is in straining a couple times through a few layers of cheesecloth to minimalize sediment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
I love the candied ginger infusion technique, but has anyone tried ginger tea to let you sweeten differently? I have a bunch of ginger tea (it's good stuff) and I almost set up an infusion last night but I hesitated.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Any thoughts on this limoncello technique?

https://gizmodo.com/how-to-make-the-best-limoncello-youve-ever-had-1533528095

I’ve made a couple different batches in past years the normal way, just letting the peels from Meyer lemons soak in vodka, Everclear, or a mix of the two. I was ok with the pure grain alcohol batch but some of the recipients felt it was too high-octane. Half and half seemed like a decent compromise, although the recipe above just calls for vodka.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

So...I'm a bit of a dumbass. I tried making a Terry's Chocolate Orange vodka.

So, right now I got 45% vodka that burns, witha hint of chocolate, and bitter orangey flavour. How the gently caress do I fix? Do i mix in enough simple syrup to sweeten and thin, or just pretend I made chocalate orange cocktail bitters?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

What process did you use to make it? You'd have been better off making an orange peel infused vodka first, followed by cooking that with chocolate and then freezing/straining out the fat solids.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Fart Car '97 posted:

What process did you use to make it? You'd have been better off making an orange peel infused vodka first, followed by cooking that with chocolate and then freezing/straining out the fat solids.

Yeah, I think so. I followed an online blog (Yes I know I dumb). I basically finely chopped a ton of bittersweet chocolate, and let it sit, with daily shaking for like 3 weeks. Then strained. Then orange zest for about 2 weeks. Then strained.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yeah, I think so. I followed an online blog (Yes I know I dumb). I basically finely chopped a ton of bittersweet chocolate, and let it sit, with daily shaking for like 3 weeks. Then strained. Then orange zest for about 2 weeks. Then strained.

Orange zest for 2 weeks? You need sugar. Basically consider what you've made a very fuckin altered -cello. Make a bunch of simple syrup and start stirring it in until you've made yourself a sippable sweet thing. Maybe even use some raw cacao nibs while making the syrup, just to add a bit more chocolate flavor?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Whalley posted:

Orange zest for 2 weeks? You need sugar. Basically consider what you've made a very fuckin altered -cello. Make a bunch of simple syrup and start stirring it in until you've made yourself a sippable sweet thing. Maybe even use some raw cacao nibs while making the syrup, just to add a bit more chocolate flavor?

That is probably my best bet.

God, I don't know why I hosed this one up so much. I've been doing infusions for years, including -cello's.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, definitely just try some sugar orrr, if you're hella lazy, try some swissmiss/hot chocolate mix to add more chocolate taste?

If you measure things right you can just take part of it and see if sugar will fix the whole mixture.

I've been getting really tired of doing things straight all the time btw and have been looking over some interesting shortcuts; stuff like not using simple syrups to thin out liqueurs but fruit juices and using just straight up hot chocolate to embellish one hazelnut liqueur to add more sweetness

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I can't wait for cherries to come into season and make a poo poo ton of that cherry liqueur again. I've got 500ml of the just-flesh version and while it's very delicious, it's definitely more one note than the one made with flesh and pits. I only made a tiny bit of just-pits, and didn't really have enough to do a ratio test. Instead I think I'll do three batches at the same time. One with 33% of the pits of the fleshed cherries in, one with 50% pits, and one 66% pits. And maybe go from there.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

What would be the difference between the two end results if I had one bottle of strawberries sitting in alcohol, and one where I juice the strawberries and add that to the alcohol? My first thought is that some flavors that wouldn't readily leech into the alcohol might be present in the juice, whether that's a good thing, bad thing, or would even be noticed.

You can't exactly juice lemon zest or walnuts to make limoncello or nocino so it makes sense to leave the zest in the alcohol for a while, but would it be viable for something that you can juice?

Side Note 1: HAS anyone tried to do an oleo saccharum in vodka vs the standard zest in booze?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Rotten Cookies posted:

What would be the difference between the two end results if I had one bottle of strawberries sitting in alcohol, and one where I juice the strawberries and add that to the alcohol? My first thought is that some flavors that wouldn't readily leech into the alcohol might be present in the juice, whether that's a good thing, bad thing, or would even be noticed.

You might have to just experiment with it. The physical and chemical changes that occur from the juicing process might immediately change compounds in the fruit, and it might also change how it interacts with the alcohol during the steeping process.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1132277838386749441

Challenge accepted.

Not pictured: also going for a head to head of zest in booze limoncello vs oleo saccharum limoncello

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1133056118748569601

Some progress on this week's experiments.

I had a heck of a time figuring out how much sugar I should be adding to the saccharum to try and make everything as equal as possible. Y'know, making it (zest+sugar)+water+alcohol=(zest+alcohol) +sugar+alcohol. I never actually thought about how much water and sugar I actually use since I mKe a big batch of 1:2 syrup and add that in til I'm near 70ish proof by rough volume calculation. But 1 part sugar plus 2 parts water doesn't give you 3 volumes of syrup. I know that's kinda obvious to most everyone. So I went to figuring that out by weight by measuring my granulated sugar, finding out about degrees Brix (which is cool) and arriving at the amounts written on the jars.

Also figured out where my last batch of cello went wrong. In a rush I did add 1 part sugar 2 parts water figuring I'd have 3 volumes of syrup to cut the cello. That's why it tasted so wildly different. And strong.

I also never weighed my zest before. Finally playing catchup with myself to maybe get something repeatable.

Edit:
https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1133070896967671809

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 27, 2019

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Rotten Cookies posted:

I can't wait for cherries to come into season and make a poo poo ton of that cherry liqueur again. I've got 500ml of the just-flesh version and while it's very delicious, it's definitely more one note than the one made with flesh and pits. I only made a tiny bit of just-pits, and didn't really have enough to do a ratio test. Instead I think I'll do three batches at the same time. One with 33% of the pits of the fleshed cherries in, one with 50% pits, and one 66% pits. And maybe go from there.

Just moved to WA and cherry season is starting soI definitely want to try making this. What recipe did you use? I still have a gallon of Everclear sitting around and have access to Rainier, Chelan, and Bing cherries at the local market.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

You lucky gently caress. There's a link in the OP that's like Danish-schnapps-recipes or something. I found it on that site. From what I remember it was however many pitted cherries, cut in half. Take half of the pits removed, crush em in a bag, and throw em in as well. Cover in ever clear.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Rotten Cookies posted:

You lucky gently caress. There's a link in the OP that's like Danish-schnapps-recipes or something. I found it on that site. From what I remember it was however many pitted cherries, cut in half. Take half of the pits removed, crush em in a bag, and throw em in as well. Cover in ever clear.

Thanks! Seems the site is just selling ebooks now, I'll look into them eventually.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Oh god drat IT. I remember distinctly saying to myself "nah, I don't need to copy down this recipe, it's just in that site linked in the infusion thread OP."

From what I can gather from my notes and past posts, it's, as I said, a quantity of cherries (I remember them calling for tart cherries, but I only had access to sweet) cut in half, with pits set aside. Take half of those pits, crush them, and add them in along with the cherries. I poured in everclear until it was just covering the cherries. Give em a good shake, and let em sit for 3 months in a cool, dark place, occasionally shaking em up. Then I strained and diluted/sweetened with a weak, 1:4 sugar:water of slightly more volume than the booze to start, and added sugar from there (don't remember how much sugar I added in total, and apparently didn't write that down anywhere. Sorry.)

And I just got a few pounds of cherries to do this again. Oh well.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Black cardamom schnapps is a bad idea. I thought it might turn out sort of laphroaig-like, but it was closer to turpentine/embalming fluid. I managed to use it for cooking somehow.

Need to make more dill schnapps, that's just dangerously good.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

thotsky posted:

How much more involved is your recipe than this: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/dill-schnapps-427203

I used to use danish-schnapps-recipes.com all the time but the site isn't around and I'm intrigued.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

thotsky posted:

Black cardamom schnapps is a bad idea. I thought it might turn out sort of laphroaig-like, but it was closer to turpentine/embalming fluid. I managed to use it for cooking somehow.

Maybe you let it steep too long? I made some to blend with several other spice infusions for a kheer-inspired liqueur, and I didn't get any of the off notes you describe.

Edit: :doh: Oh, just saw you said black cardamom. That might explain the difference.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Oh god drat IT. I remember distinctly saying to myself "nah, I don't need to copy down this recipe, it's just in that site linked in the infusion thread OP."

From what I can gather from my notes and past posts, it's, as I said, a quantity of cherries (I remember them calling for tart cherries, but I only had access to sweet) cut in half, with pits set aside. Take half of those pits, crush them, and add them in along with the cherries. I poured in everclear until it was just covering the cherries. Give em a good shake, and let em sit for 3 months in a cool, dark place, occasionally shaking em up. Then I strained and diluted/sweetened with a weak, 1:4 sugar:water of slightly more volume than the booze to start, and added sugar from there (don't remember how much sugar I added in total, and apparently didn't write that down anywhere. Sorry.)

And I just got a few pounds of cherries to do this again. Oh well.

If you're talking about the Danish Schnapps website, you can still access the original version on the Way Back Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20050301024228/http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/

I recently used that for green walnuts, which I'm really excited about. I also had a surprising hit with dried porcini mushrooms. I was originally thinking I'd get an intense, earthy fungus flavor that I could use in a bitters I'm building, but instead it was rich and woody and slightly sweet and completely incredible. I used around a 1/4 lb of dried mushrooms in 16 oz. of 80 proof vodka, but I think I could have used less and still had a good result. loving amazing flavor on that stuff.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Whalley posted:

How much more involved is your recipe than this: https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/dill-schnapps-427203

I used to use danish-schnapps-recipes.com all the time but the site isn't around and I'm intrigued.

Thats basically it, although I don't use sugar,, and I'll use a 60% alcohol vodka for the infusion and then dilute down to 38-40% with water after the week is over.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

thotsky posted:

I've used black cardamom as a component in my SE Asian inspired tiki bitters. I'm not sure I'd want to taste only that though in quantity.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hey this thread is back and I've been infusing some stuff

Ok, so i have Limoncello, cinnamon whiskey, Orangecello, and leftover apple pie whiskey going in this photo. This photo was taken a few months ago

And here are the final results of the Limoncello and Orangecello

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's your process for cinnamon whiskey?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Halloween Jack posted:

What's your process for cinnamon whiskey?

3 or 4 sticks of cinnamon, 1 vanilla pod split and scraped, steeped for about a month and then rested for another month. I think I might have swapped in a second vanilla pod halfway through.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Speaking of which, it's almost Fall, which means its time to get another batch going

Another batch of cinnamon whiskey and an attempt at pepper tequila, made with a bunch of Fresno chilis

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

So I was looking at that Danish schnapps recipe website and I'm super intrigued by the maple, oak, and dandelion ones. I haven't done anything like that and I'm guessing they're not common. I'd love to do those in the spring, and maybe gently caress around and do some birch, too. I went to collect some staghorn sumac to make an infusion of that, but I guess it's too wet/late because they were all gross, pale, and rotted.

I have very little going on in the way of infusions, and that's making me sad. So I've been deep diving into looking at what I should make next. Might be too late to have chestnut liqueur done for christmas time. Might make some banana rum, and blackberry infusion. They'll have plenty of time to mellow for some summer enjoyment.

Has anyone tried doing infusions in something other than booze? Ms Cookies and a couple of our friends don't drink, and I'd like to try and do some things for them so they don't miss out. I've made shrubs, grenadine, and freeze-distilled juiced honeydew and watermelon (loving HIGHLY recommend that if you haven't tried it) I've heard of infusing weed in glycerin/glycerol, but searching for glycerol infusion gives me either that or making essential oils and poo poo. OR being used to preserve and soften raisins? I dunno what flavors it would pull out that would differ from alcohol, and I know it's gonna be sweet anyway. Just gonna go for it because gently caress it, why not. But if anyone has experience with it, I'd appreciate input.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
White grape rum ended up being so delicious that we drank half of it after tasting it halfway through seeping.

Experiment success I guess?

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
I guess it's a rather obvious choice,but I had serious success with pouring rum directly into coconuts and corking them. Makes for a good party favor.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Regular brain: letting things soak in alcohol
Expanding brain: quickly infusing sous vide
Galaxy brain: more quickly infusing in a whipping siphon
Entire universe brain: putting vodka and gin botanicals into a coffee siphon and making your own gin a few cocktails' worth at a time.

This is the first time I tried this. I used a little too much citric acid--I assume I have to use some to extract a decent flavor in a couple of minutes? So it's sour but I'm just using it in a gin and tonic (with homemade tonic that's too sweet despite me using half the sugar the recipe called for) without adding lime.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I'm having a paloma right now with quick-infused jalapeno tequila. As much as I love spicy food and spicy pepper infusions, it's great to have a mild infusion like this where you can actually taste the green pepper flavor. It's the simplest quick infusion I've done so far too: just fill a whipping siphon with tequila, then add a bunch of sliced jalapeno, charge and shake it twice, vent and strain after 90 minutes.

Yes I'm going insane being home all day and have at least infused, carbonated, or clarified something every day for the last few days now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I was very pleased with how my blood orange liqueur turned out, and I have a bunch more in the fridge. Thinking about filling up a gallon jug with it.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

https://web.archive.org/web/20050213040442/http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/maple.html

Maple blossom schnapps/liqueur turned out dangerously good. It's very close to a St Germain taste. Almost all of the maple trees here are done with their blossoms now, but if you have the opportunity, I'd definitely try this one out. I need to scrounge for more maple blossoms.

Here's the spent maple blossoms after straining. I'd definitely recommend using a cheese cloth or nut milk bag to get the little stuff, because the blossoms broke down a bit and gave off very small particulate.

And here I'm showing off the color/clarity after it was strained, but before it was cut. I used a weak 1:2 sugar:water syrup to dilute down to ~22-25%abv, and it was a bit sweet, so I may reduce that sugar next time.

While I've got momentum I want to try out some lilac liqueur after bothering my neighbors to snip some flower clusters.
https://www.moodymixologist.com/blog/foraged-cocktails-lilac-liqueur

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I made some cherry infused whiskey recently that is loving killer when used in a Manhattan. It's a bit cloudy though, any tips on how to filter it without getting rid of the flavor?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Rotten Cookies posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050213040442/http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/maple.html

Maple blossom schnapps/liqueur turned out dangerously good. It's very close to a St Germain taste. Almost all of the maple trees here are done with their blossoms now, but if you have the opportunity, I'd definitely try this one out. I need to scrounge for more maple blossoms.

Here's the spent maple blossoms after straining. I'd definitely recommend using a cheese cloth or nut milk bag to get the little stuff, because the blossoms broke down a bit and gave off very small particulate.

And here I'm showing off the color/clarity after it was strained, but before it was cut. I used a weak 1:2 sugar:water syrup to dilute down to ~22-25%abv, and it was a bit sweet, so I may reduce that sugar next time.

While I've got momentum I want to try out some lilac liqueur after bothering my neighbors to snip some flower clusters.
https://www.moodymixologist.com/blog/foraged-cocktails-lilac-liqueur

That sounds so dank, where did your maple blossoms? Great job on the end product

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

My backyard. We had a windy storm that knocked a bunch of them out of the trees in large clumps, so I collected them from the ground and gave them a super good rinsing to get any grass, dirt, or schmutz off of em.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Speaking of cherries a bit back, does anyone have a nice, simple recipe for Amaretto cherries that does not involve canning/jar boiling? I had a drink some weeks ago, garnished with the most mind-blowing cherries, and I desperately want to recreate that intense flavour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean, I just put the cherries in the liquor and leave them there for a month.