Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So I watched Inferno last night and I was struck by how wholly inferior it was to Suspiria, to the level that it almost felt like it was made by an imitator of Argento than the man himself.

Its weird because he has other movies that reach that same level as Suspiria, but the direct sequel lacked the tension and atmosphere of the first in a way that felt kind of jarring

Inferno's generally been considered one of the weaker Three Mothers films because it comes across a bit more rambly than anything. I like it but then I also liked Mother of Tears so my judgement might be questionable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

Inferno's generally been considered one of the weaker Three Mothers films because it comes across a bit more rambly than anything. I like it but then I also liked Mother of Tears so my judgement might be questionable.

Mother of Tears is one of those ones that would probably be considered a perfectly fine throwback if it wasn’t (a) by Argento and (b) the long awaited conclusion to a trilogy begun by the most acclaimed of all Italian horror movies

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Speaking of Italian horror films, on Amazon last night I found a giallo film that has the most giallo title ever

"I corpi presentano tracce di violenza carnale" AKA The Bodies Bear Traces of Carnal Violence

Of course the cowards translated it as "Torso" for some reason

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The worst sin committed by Inferno is trading Goblin for Keith Emerson

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of Italian horror films, on Amazon last night I found a giallo film that has the most giallo title ever

"I corpi presentano tracce di violenza carnale" AKA The Bodies Bear Traces of Carnal Violence

Of course the cowards translated it as "Torso" for some reason

Torso is one of the sleazier giallos out there. The titties per minute ratio is rather high.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think my favorite scene in Inferno is when the lady accidentally finds her way into an evil dungeon trying to find the exit to the library and there is a literal wizard in front of a bubbling cauldrin and the wizard is like "the exit is back that way, ma'am"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bought complete box set of Tales from the Crypt and that show is loving amazing!

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So I watched Inferno last night and I was struck by how wholly inferior it was to Suspiria, to the level that it almost felt like it was made by an imitator of Argento than the man himself.

Its weird because he has other movies that reach that same level as Suspiria, but the direct sequel lacked the tension and atmosphere of the first in a way that felt kind of jarring

I've heard conflicting reports over the years about Mario Bava directing significant portions of Inferno, which is weird because it doesn't really feel like a Bava movie either.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Bought complete box set of Tales from the Crypt and that show is loving amazing!

yeah i got the box set as a gift a few years ago and it was a loving awesome present

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

I recently rewatched The Church and forgot that the score is a three way collab between Goblin, Keith Emerson, and Philip Glass. I want it playing in my head all the time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I recently rewatched The Church and forgot that the score is a three way collab between Goblin, Keith Emerson, and Philip Glass. I want it playing in my head all the time.

It's so good. I throw it on all the time Haha. The club song "go to hell" is great.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blast Fantasto posted:

that's a sidegrade, not a downgrade, Keith Emerson loving owns

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Was emerson the one who did the ice skating king Arthur or was that Lake or Palmer

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Was emerson the one who did the ice skating king Arthur or was that Lake or Palmer

that was Rick Wakeman, the guy from Yes. Keith Emerson was ELP.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

My fiance bought me that when I came home after being hospitalized for blood pressure/heart issues so when I'd do my exercise bike time, I'd time it according to episodes rather than stare at the clock and bitch at how slow the time's going.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that was Rick Wakeman, the guy from Yes. Keith Emerson was ELP.

I get my prog rock confused

All I know about ELP is Tarkus a concept album about an armadillo tank that ends with him reincarnated as a submarine named Aquatarkus

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

M_Sinistrari posted:

My fiance bought me that when I came home after being hospitalized for blood pressure/heart issues so when I'd do my exercise bike time, I'd time it according to episodes rather than stare at the clock and bitch at how slow the time's going.

I recommend combat sports for cardio, it does dreams for me.

Its must easier to stay motivated when the exercise bike is trying to kill you

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What combat sport do you do out of curiosity? I’ve been thinking of trying Muay Thai

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I get my prog rock confused

All I know about ELP is Tarkus a concept album about an armadillo tank that ends with him reincarnated as a submarine named Aquatarkus

yeah ELP loving owns

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

What combat sport do you do out of curiosity? I’ve been thinking of trying Muay Thai

BJJ and Judo

I have thought about Boxing or Muay Thai but I have learned that my primary motivator in life is to not get punched in the face

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

yeah ELP loving owns

I had a neighbor who got into vinyl before it became a thing again and the only record player he could find cheap was a Mr Rogers themed Mattel record player with built in speaker and he once just brought Tarkus over to my place and cranked it up on this cheap plastic toy

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

BJJ and Judo

I have thought about Boxing or Muay Thai but I have learned that my primary motivator in life is to not get punched in the face

Yeah getting punched sucks (I’ve already gotten my teeth chipped so many times) but I have long arms and legs so I feel like I’d be good at it

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've considered that but since I've gotten diagnosed with early degenerative arthritis in my spine, I'm not sure about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Joe Pilato's dead. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRWbg8A3rDg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

No!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What the fuckkkkk, no

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This was a rough weekend. Along with Joe Pilato and Larry Cohen, Michael Lynne, one of the old co-owners of New Line Cinema (him and Bob Shaye pretty much founded the company), also passed away over the weekend.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/michae...KuTIuurl59dhSzo

quote:

Former New Line Co-CEO Michael Lynne Dead At Age 77

Michael Lynne died last night at age 77. Lynne was Bob Shaye’s partner as they turned New Line from a small indie distributor to the maker of The Lord of The Rings, Austin Powers and Rush Hour franchises. His death will come as a shock to Lynne’s colleagues in film, art, and philanthropic circles because of its suddenness. I’m still confirming details of his death, but here is what I have right now.

Lynne went to Columbia Law School with Shaye, and they became part of each other’s lives well before Lynne officially joined Shaye’s then fledgling studio New Line in 1990 after working as outside counsel for the company. Shaye confirmed that Lynne had passed away, and was very emotional about losing his longtime friend and partner so suddenly. Lynne is survived by his wife Ninah and daughter Elizabeth, who were by his side when he came back from the hospital to his home after taking a turn for the worse. This all happened after Lynne’s oldest son, Jonathan, died suddenly, just two weeks ago.

“Michael was a terrific guy and we were an excellent combination,” Shaye told Deadline. “I played in a little bit of less controlled fashion and he was more controlled, but he had his zaniness also. We developed this secret operating system that worked well and he was an incredible asset, partner and soulmate.”

Lynne was a Brooklyn-born tough attorney who met Shaye when he did contract work for Shaye and his fledgling film label on a retainer basis. He officially became COO of New Line in 1990, and shortly after New Line went from company best known for genre like Tobe Hooper’s Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead and Wes Craven’s A Nightmare on Elm Street, to a hitmaking rock and roll studio that was hatched some of the highest tenured executives in town right now. The rise came after Michael De Luca became one of the youngest presidents of production at a studio and created a string of edgy hits that included The Mask, Dumb & Dumber, Se7en and Boogie Nights, and franchises like Austin Powers and Rush Hour. New Line was a rock and roll studio which had a most memorable golden period where executives were given a lot of latitude to make risky projects. Besides producer and former New Line production president Michael De Luca, the roster of executives who grew up in the New Line system and are still powerful Hollywood players include New Line co-heads Richard Brener and Carolyn Blackwood, Warner Bros Picture Group chairman Toby Emmerich, Legendary Vice Chairman of Worldwide Production Mary Parent, and Universal Pictures chairman Donna Langley.

“We were in different parts of the law school and knew each other casually and met again when our daughters were in the same school class,” Shaye said. “I knew Michael had been helping to raise money for projects, and that he was friends with investment bankers and I was completely clueless of that area of the entertainment business. I focused on making pictures and releasing them. Michael was at a juncture when we ran into each other on a street one day. I told him, ‘I’ve got a little company,’ and he said, come and talk to me. He introduced me to his close friend Roy Furman, a banker and while nothing much came out of that, he became our outside counsel and we became closer and closer. Michael and his law partner managed our first IPO and he went with me to all the pitch meetings. We would joke that he was a partner for hire, but he was much more than that. He genuinely cared and was emotionally involved and a brilliant counterpoint to any organization, especially to ours. We continued like that until I realized I needed an operating colleague help with all the things that were new territory for me like finance.”

In an effort to compete with the major studios, New Line was sold to Ted Turner in 1995 for $500 million. The indie became part of Time Warner when Turner merged into Time Warner just two years later in a $7.5 billion deal. While both Lynne and Shaye became very wealthy especially after the AOL merger, New Line got downsized in 2008, and Shaye and Lynne exited the studio at that point. It was only four years after it won 11 Oscars for the final installment of the Peter Jackson-directed The Lord Of The Rings, on which Lynne was an exec producer. They had gotten into a bitter dispute with Jackson over that film.

They remained together as a team, forming Unique Features. Lynn also had been a director of IMAX. A major collector of contemporary art, he also became an owner of the vineyard Bedell Cellars bought years ago and operated in Cutchogue, Long Island, where he would show some of his work.

Shaye gave his partner room after the death of his son, but said they were making plans to get together and had calls where Shaye updated Lynne on developments on their film and TV projects.

“I will consider him my partner forever and anything I accomplish going forward will be dedicated to him,” Shaye said. “We went through so much together and he taught me so much.”

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

yeah i got the box set as a gift a few years ago and it was a loving awesome present

Reluctant Vampire is easily top 5 of the series also the one with Jon Lovitz and the Hamlet production

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

God drat the news that William Sadler will be returning as Death in Bill & Ted 3 almost gave me a heart attack when I read it too fast.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I guess we’re all choking on ‘em, now.

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

Who's gonna run this monkey farm now?!? :(

edit: lol, I didn't even check the clip first. Gonna have to go watch Day of the Dead for the umpteenth time, now.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think my favorite scene in Inferno is when the lady accidentally finds her way into an evil dungeon trying to find the exit to the library and there is a literal wizard in front of a bubbling cauldrin and the wizard is like "the exit is back that way, ma'am"

I love Inferno, almost as much as Suspiria actually so overall we disagree on the film. Anyway that scene is maybe my absolute favorite in any Argento film. The way she just wanders off the beaten path and into this ridiculously over the top Evil Lair is one of those moments that feels pure like cinema to me, it's what movies are all about.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I love Inferno, almost as much as Suspiria actually so overall we disagree on the film. Anyway that scene is maybe my absolute favorite in any Argento film. The way she just wanders off the beaten path and into this ridiculously over the top Evil Lair is one of those moments that feels pure like cinema to me, it's what movies are all about.

Its literally this done straight faced

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I saw Suspiria, Inferno, and Dracula 3D in the same week. All of them on the big screen, all of them for the first time. Dario was actually present for the Inferno screening. Inferno was a bit of a let down compared to Suspiria but compared to Dracula 3D it's a masterpiece.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Coffee And Pie posted:

I watched Brawl in Cell Block 99 and it was a hateful, bloated piece of poo poo with like one or two fun gore effects. Not worth it.

My favorite part in hindsight was when the neo-nazi skinhead protagonist gets his whole loving head exploded in a hail of gunfire. But then you realize we were supposed to feel bad for that.

gently caress S.S. Craig "Herr" Zahler.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fart City posted:

God drat the news that William Sadler will be returning as Death in Bill & Ted 3 almost gave me a heart attack when I read it too fast.

I'm dreading who the third'll be since we've lost Cohen and now Pilato.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
John Carl Buechler too. Lot of horror guys kicking off lately. The past 4 years have been especially bad, Craven, Romero, Hooper, HG Lewis. Time sucks.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

John Carl Buechler too. Lot of horror guys kicking off lately. The past 4 years have been especially bad, Craven, Romero, Hooper, HG Lewis. Time sucks.

Time is undefeated, as they say

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Time is the ultimate horror movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Origami Dali posted:

Dick Miller just, what, a couple of weeks ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
John Carl Buechler gave me some of the most intense nightmares of my life after I finally got brave enough to watch Troll as a kid. His rubbery little fetus-looking monsters will always infest my heart.

Also for the earlier fella who was looking for sleazy 80's horror, you gotta see Street Trash! That may as well have been a Troma movie. I of course second all Frank Henenlotter movies for this category too.