Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm pretty hyped too, honestly. May be worth making a thread for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

The Ninth Layer posted:

I'm pretty hyped too, honestly. May be worth making a thread for it.

I have the day off and an evening flight Friday so I should be able to whip something up.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

GGG alleged to fight Kamil Szeremeta (19-0, 4 KO) in June before taking on Canelo in September.

It's uh, well it's a fight at least. The push is for GGG and Canelo to rematch in September and it makes sense for Golovkin to get on screen before event. By the same token though, with such a high profile fight on the line, they don't want to jeopardize the date, and with the relatively short turn around time that means taking on lacklustre opposition.

Still, this guy isn't completely unaccomplished, he's the European middleweight champion and holds the #2 spot in the WBC and WBA rankings and is #13 on boxrec. He's also undefeated for whatever that's worth, although looking at his quality of opposition, it's not worth a whole lot. Dismal KO percentage too, but he's actually picked up more KOs recently than earlier in his career.

Golovkin should mince this guy, but it is what is. Maybe he'll have good enough of movement and boxing ability to make it a bit interesting, but I haven't seen tape of him before so I don't know how likely that is.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm not looking past Jacobs tbh. Hopefully Canelo isn't either.

Anyway I was recently made aware that there's a way you can share video over discord. If there's interest I'm down for buying the Spence-Garcia PPV and hosting an SA fight party so that we can watch a reliable stream and talk over it together. If this is something you'd want to join let me know.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The Ninth Layer posted:

Sure, regardless of who wins though, there's a fight for GGG in September.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
There's this thing called Rabbit.tv that lets you share video streams and chat, im not familiar with the discord sharing feature you're talking about.

Also I will almost certainly have a very reliable stream on fight night and I could do the same if im home that night (and i definitely am planning on being).

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The video sharing feature is just screen share in a private call, but I've used it a few times in the last couple weeks and it works well.

I'm good with whatever we want to do, I just happen to know more people online than off who like watching fights and I think it'd be a fun way to experience a fight if we're all just gonna be streaming stuff anyway.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Perhaps I can periscope from my seat. Cant guarantee that anyone would be able to see anything though.

Also I realize I'm probably doing too much humble bragging. I apologize, it's just my first real vacation in a long time and excited to be seeing an a real big event and not just thrown together pbc on Spike slop

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 13, 2019

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

The Ninth Layer posted:

Anyway I was recently made aware that there's a way you can share video over discord. If there's interest I'm down for buying the Spence-Garcia PPV and hosting an SA fight party so that we can watch a reliable stream and talk over it together. If this is something you'd want to join let me know.

I'd be down for it.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Wilder has been mulling a $100 million DAZN offer and is reportedly (but not confirmed) going to turn it down, which I hope isn’t true. It wouldn’t make much sense, unless he can get much more money from them or someone else. But Wilder is 34, if he’s going to take big fights it’s got to be now. It would be a tragedy if Joshua/Wilder never happens.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884623

Too pumped to sleep so I put the thread up early

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
If Wilder doesn't take 100 million for being a medicore boxer at best dude is crazy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Wilder has been mulling a $100 million DAZN offer and is reportedly (but not confirmed) going to turn it down, which I hope isn’t true. It wouldn’t make much sense, unless he can get much more money from them or someone else. But Wilder is 34, if he’s going to take big fights it’s got to be now. It would be a tragedy if Joshua/Wilder never happens.

This is the same offer that Wilder made to Joshua last year that Joshua turned down, just $50 million for two fights each instead of one.

I'm always a little wary of hearing about news like this because "$100 million for two fights" is rarely the full story and when guys refuse deals like this it's usually because there are other factors at play. This goes back to: do you let someone pay you a big amount of money to essentially be the B-side to their favorite guy who will get preferential treatment in venue, fight officiating and judging, and probably a bigger share of the revenue?

Basically we never know the whole picture of these contracts so I think it is a mistake to rush to judgment. We know Joshua already turned down a very similar offer last year to fight Wilder which suggests he thinks there is MORE than $50 million to be had from fighting him. That would also be true for Wilder who probably wants a 50-50 revenue split here rather than a flat number.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Well that went exactly as expected. Basically a waste of time, and hopefully it didn't damage Mikey Garcia too badly, as he took a bit of a beating in there. Kudos to him going the full 12, but it wasn't worth it. My biggest hope is that he goes back down to 135, and is able to healthily get back to 135, in order to eventually set up a Lomachenko fight in 2020.

Sounds like Spence is angling for a Manny Pacquiao fight next, which I can't see Freddy Roach allowing to happen. Which means Roach will probably be out of Pac's camp again and it will happen, and Pac get destroyed, because at this point in time he's 40 years old and has lost a few steps, and Spence is probably a top 5 pound for pound talent in the sport (along with Loma, Crawford, Usyk, and Inoue), not to mention a big welterweight.

Anyways, praying for both Lomachenko/Garcia and Spence/Crawford in 2020.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
At the very least Wilder-Breazeale will be on regular Showtime and not pay per view

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DAZN is making some pricing changes.

$99.99/year or $19.99/month

Current users are grandfathered into $9.99/month for another year.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Mike Coppinger is reporting that Errol Spence is probably fighting Shawn Porter Next, with Pacquiao instead probably fighting Keith Thurman or maybe Danny Garcia.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

sportsgenius86 posted:

DAZN is making some pricing changes.

$99.99/year or $19.99/month

Current users are grandfathered into $9.99/month for another year.

Kind of disappointing, especially since the free trial month is apparently going away but not unexpected with the GGG signing and throwing around huge sums to anyone with a boxrec. For those already in the annual plan is a good option to have. Hopefully they can lock down some major sports rights in the US soon.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Also a report out that Usyk is indeed moving up to heavyweight and will take on Carlos Takam on May 18th, same night as Wilder/Breazeale. The original plan was Usyk and Povetkin would take interim fights and then fight each other, so I assume if Usyk gets past Takam he will fight Povetkin nearer to the end of the year. If Usyk wins both of those fights he’ll be in line to take on one of the big 3 of Joshua/Wilder/Fury sometime in 2020.

More and more 2019 is feeling like a “stay busy” year for a lot of guys and 2020 is looking like the year when a lot of big fights could happen.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Fury's next fight will apparently be announced sometime during the Kubrat Pulev/Bodgan Dinu fight on ESPN Saturday night. If I had to guess I think the opponent will be Bryant Jennings

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Cigar Aficionado posted:

More and more 2019 is feeling like a “stay busy” year for a lot of guys and 2020 is looking like the year when a lot of big fights could happen.

I guess, but it always feels like the biggest fights are just on the horizon. It's not as though stuff like Spence-Porter, Pacquiao-Thurman, Canelo-Jacobs and GGG-Canelo aren't big fights in their own right. I wouldn't even be too surprised if we saw 2 big heavyweight names against each other before the year is out anyway.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Tyson Fury’s signed to fight Euro prospect Tom Schwarz on June 15th. Compared to a Wilder rematch, this is about as disappointing as it gets. Schwarz is an undefeated prospect, but he’s not a legit top 10 heavyweight, hasn’t fought anyone in the top 20, and is not some searing elite prospect or anything. He reminds me of an Alex Dimitrenko or something. Strictly Euro level.

Fury should handle him easily and then hopefully his next fight this year is much more competitive.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
It's actually easy to understand this move and not surprising at all if you guide yourself by this very correct foundational principal: Tyson Fury is a garbage tier fighter in a division that's almost entirely full of other garbage tier fighters.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
jacobs / canello will be good and bud / khan will be a brutal domination but yeah nothing much on the horizon for boxing in 2019. i'm hoping some promising prospects become breakout stars while the current stars are busy marking time. i really want to see that josh kelly kid fight someone competent.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gotta hand it to Kubrat Pulev, that was a pretty entertaining display

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Gotta hand it to Kubrat Pulev, that was a pretty entertaining display

I was watching it with the sound off. Can you fill me in on what happened at the end of the fight? We were expecting Pulev to get DQed for the punch to the back of the head.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

CommonShore posted:

I was watching it with the sound off. Can you fill me in on what happened at the end of the fight? We were expecting Pulev to get DQed for the punch to the back of the head.

The ref had Dinu walk it off instead. Ruled the knockdown legit but deducted a point for the late hit.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Presented without comment

https://twitter.com/BCampbellCBS/status/1109655228792619010

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I loved that, you know bradley's been just waiting to do that bit with the stack in his jacket for the whole night.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 24, 2019

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

I loving love Tim :unsmith:

I wish we would've gotten that Khan fight when they were both tops at 140, but this is boxing after all.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Joshua vs a 38 year old Pulev is such a waste of a fight. Look for it in November 2019.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Sergey Lipinets just pulled off a mild upset and stopped Lamont Peterson at the end of the 10th round when Barry Hunter threw in the towel.

EDIT: Good fight as expected with lots of infighting and back and forth as both threw nearly 1000 punches each. Peterson definitely looked shop worn and he just announced his retirement in the ring actually

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 25, 2019

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
that was a drat war, both those guys must be hurting today.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I feel bad for Peterson; he was hyped as a blue chip prospect early in his career and never quite made it to the elite level. He did have the win against Khan, but that was a shady fight for several reasons and Khan isn’t exactly a pound for pound level guy either. The Lipinets fight was brutal and Peterson has taken quite a bit of punishment in general. He definitely looks all done to me. Hopefully he can leave the sport with his health relatively intact, a relatively fat bank account, and a plan for the next steps in his life.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah Peterson never quite made it to the elite level of boxing but was always hovering around the back ends of the top 10 of whatever division he was in. I'm glad to see him retire, I enjoyed watching him this past decade but his status as a relevant fighter is over, his getting stopped by Lipinets means there's nowhere for him to go but down if he keeps fighting.

There's no shame in losing to the guys he lost to (Tim Bradley, Lucas Matthysse, Danny Garcia, Errol Spence) and when Peterson did lose he was usually competitive in those losses. But he never really picked up the signature wins he needed to take off either. Beating Amir Khan was a great career boost that was almost immediately ruined by his getting popped for PEDs and his career never really recovered after that.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc6Gaqklz9Y

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
according to reports GGG will return June 8th against Brandon Adams. Adams has been beaten by Willie Nelson (the boxer) and Willie Monroe Jr and recently won the latest season of "The Contender". The co-feature is slated to be Demetrius Andrade-Maciej Sulecki

https://www.badlefthook.com/2019/3/29/18286822/gennady-golovkin-reportedly-set-to-break-in-dazn-deal-with-june-8-fight-against-brandon-adams

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Decisively worse than that undefeated and ranked polish guy they were rumouring before

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Decisively worse than that undefeated and ranked polish guy they were rumouring before

EDIT: Well gently caress, apparently Brandon Adams was knocked out by John Thompson and not Willie Nelson. Eh close enough in that he was stopped by in the finals of that Boxcino tournament by a mid-tier fighter who is more likely to be confused with another more famous namesake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOuLxPqHsLI - Ruh Roh

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Haha in this Sky Sports UK fight (Price vs Ali) Ali was just disqualified for tackling and biting Price.