Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Super Jay Mann posted:

I find it interesting that we already have City Garrison III while only having City Raider I, as if early aggression in the Prehistoric Era when each player only has one city was ever a thing that needed to be guarded against. Maybe in multiplayer?

I mean, you laugh but that's how I managed to finally get ahead of my opponents in my game. Specialized to have a better military than they did and beat down the weakest player, from which I was finally able to catch up and then surpass my opponents during Ancient.

So it's a legitimate concern!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Oh yeah I forgot to mention in my update and I totally meant to.

If you pay attention to the tech screenshots, we're also tantalizingly close to another highly anticipated feature of the mod.

Hint: :shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You know, the slavery thing doesn't seem that bad. It's pretty much just an expansion of slavery mechanics from base civ 4 as far as I can see?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Randalor posted:

Reading through this thread has made me want to play through some Civ4 mods again. Whenever I used to get the hankering, I would load up FfH2, but are there others on roughly the same level of changes? I know Dune Wars (I downloaded Dune Wars Revival, I'm assuming that's the same but more), but how is Ashes of Erebus compared to FfH2? And are there other mods worth checking out? You can suggest C2C all you want, but I'm not crazy, I did read this thread.

I really like Ashes. To me, it is just FFH but more so (in a good way, unlike C2C). More civs with more mechanics, more heroes, more civics, etc. If you ever played Fall Further, it spun from that. It also makes modifications to existing civs, making them all a bit more distinct or interesting. I'd definitely say it is worth a shot if you liked FFH. Most of it even has pedia entries in gameplay concepts so you can read about new mechanics!

Also, I'd say you should disable Frozen (ice demons you summon like infernals) and D'Tesh (lich with undead army civ). They are both handled very poorly by the AI and far too good in the hands of a human. While I like the rest of the mod, those two receive the permanent off switch from me. Can't all be winners.

Back to C2C, it really felt like ages before we could settle. I don't know how long it was for you actually playing, but just from reading it seemed pretty substantial for such a basic feature of Civ. I'm wondering if you can build better settlers later that will come with free buildings, or if you will have to start every town from zero education disease ridden savages?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Captainicus posted:

I really like Ashes. To me, it is just FFH but more so (in a good way, unlike C2C). More civs with more mechanics, more heroes, more civics, etc. If you ever played Fall Further, it spun from that. It also makes modifications to existing civs, making them all a bit more distinct or interesting. I'd definitely say it is worth a shot if you liked FFH. Most of it even has pedia entries in gameplay concepts so you can read about new mechanics!

Also, I'd say you should disable Frozen (ice demons you summon like infernals) and D'Tesh (lich with undead army civ). They are both handled very poorly by the AI and far too good in the hands of a human. While I like the rest of the mod, those two receive the permanent off switch from me. Can't all be winners.

Awesome, I'll check it out then. The blog someone else linked to earlier didn't actually make it clear if it was actually good (when your opinion of it can be summed up as "It's a bug-ridden mess but I love it", that's not a good summary), so it's good to get some more consensus.

And the more I read this LP, the more I'm happy I didn't take the plunge. You're a mad, mad man Super Jay Mann, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the LP so far.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Captainicus posted:

Back to C2C, it really felt like ages before we could settle. I don't know how long it was for you actually playing, but just from reading it seemed pretty substantial for such a basic feature of Civ. I'm wondering if you can build better settlers later that will come with free buildings, or if you will have to start every town from zero education disease ridden savages?

I'm not sure if this is one of those mods where later settler units provide free buildings, it's been far too long since I last played that far for me to be sure.

I do know for sure that all cities start with the best Housing buildings available for free, and having several of those buildings in a new city later on can provide a substantial kickstart to its yields even without any buildings to speak of.

There's also a useful feature that I plan on using to get new cities up to speed with relatively little hassle, but that's for next time.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Personally I'm just excited to see where else everything goes. I really look forward to us getting a culture and seeing what that does.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So hey, you guys want more Audience Participation? :v:

I'm gonna be playing in preparation for the next couple updates soonish and we're very close to :shittydog: Since I plan on building plenty of them in various capacities throughout this LP I 'd like you all to give me ideas for what I should name the dogs. Nothing offensive or outright vulgar but whatever else you want is fair game. There's no deadline or anything like that. You also need not necessarily stick to only one suggestion, but I'd certainly prefer if you limit the amount if only for my own sanity.

Use of any names in the LP is entirely up to my own discretion. Whether it means the names are thematically appropriate, are bandwagoned by a bunch of people in the thread, or are just plain liked by me, it's all the same. And don't fret if I don't use a name right away, I believe dogs won't necessarily be the only animal units we get use of during the game.

:shittydog: :shittydog:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Let's get these outta the way: Pupper, Doggo, Doge, Woofer

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I don't care about the other three as long as one of them is named Missile

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Obligatory Bandit.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Princess Bitey

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Omnicrom posted:

:emptyquote:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Obviously, one of them has to be Tsume. :v:

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

Omnicrom posted:

Missile is objectively the best dog, so I would argue that actually all of the dogs should be named Missile.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was going to suggest Doge, but since that's taken, Spot and Pluto.

Oh, and Rex.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Adding myself to the Missile pile.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Bark Ruffalo

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!
Since Missile is great, let's give him some theme named buddies! Rocket, Torpedo, and Cannonball

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Horse, Chico, Buffalo Buffalo, Dr Gnaw

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Snarles Barkley

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Omnicrom posted:

How useful is barking really going to be on a cultural level, though?

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
Maybe ahead of its time, but obligatory Pavlov

Red John
Jul 12, 2018
Boksi or Boksi II

Gone but not forgotten, sweet prince.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Humankisser, as a tip of the hat.

Jolene
Jan 1, 2019

Roobanguy posted:

Snarles Barkley

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Coindoge!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

We gotta have Lobo and Blanca in there somewhere. Those two are literally legendary doges.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I'm going to be a saccharine piece of poo poo and ask for Koda, in honor of my dog who we had to put down last weekend.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Duke :dukedog:

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Another vote for Missile

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

quote:

BABA is YOU and GOOD

DOG is BABA

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 26, 2019

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Joining the Missile bandwagon, and suggesting some other good video game dogs: Ammy, Isabelle, and Toby :shittydog:

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kangxi posted:

Another vote for Missile

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

Kangxi posted:

Another vote for Missile

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Wrong way round. BABA is DOG.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

AJ_Impy posted:

Wrong way round. BABA is DOG.

do we want the dog to be baba or do we want baba to turn into a dog, i think you could argue for either in this context

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

President Ark posted:

do we want the dog to be baba or do we want baba to turn into a dog, i think you could argue for either in this context

Yes

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
is it too late to suggest "shithead" as one of your dogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
If you get Husky looking dogs, then Tasha and Kodi.