Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

Playing NG+ made me realize that the chained ogre is basically an anti-tutorial. Even if you attack him absolutely relentlessly it's difficult to reduce his posture faster than his hp. This is because he'll do like 80% grabs, which can't be deflected. And of course hammering him with R1 makes you extremely vulnerable to grabs. Step dodge seems kind of unreliable at avoiding them so the best way to evade them is kiting/spacing (also they're 1 hit kills in NG+ so that's fun, although I think I'm missing at least 1 prayer necklace). So yeah, don't attack repeatedly since it leaves you vulnerable to grabs, deflection isn't worthwhile, posture can be ignored, and you should kite him and use hit and run.

The ogre is very easy if you douse him in oil, light him on fire, and hit his bum with your sword for about ten to fifteen seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Lol this is maybe the fastest moving thread I've ever seen in games

I'm not in the mood to play today so I'm reading the thread instead and it's going a mile a minute lmao

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Arist posted:

lol did I just gently caress up and kill him by accident, or was that supposed to happen

:D

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The Moon Monster posted:

Playing NG+ made me realize that the chained ogre is basically an anti-tutorial. Even if you attack him absolutely relentlessly it's difficult to reduce his posture faster than his hp. This is because he'll do like 80% grabs, which can't be deflected. And of course hammering him with R1 makes you extremely vulnerable to grabs. Step dodge seems kind of unreliable at avoiding them so the best way to evade them is kiting/spacing (also they're 1 hit kills in NG+ so that's fun, although I think I'm missing at least 1 prayer necklace). So yeah, don't attack repeatedly since it leaves you vulnerable to grabs, deflection isn't worthwhile, posture can be ignored, and you should kite him and use hit and run.

Maybe they dialed up the amount of grabs he uses in NG+ but I swear they made up well over half of his attacks.

dude, there are two guys like 50 feet away loudly discussing how much the chained ogre hates fire

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Walrus posted:

The ogre is very easy if you douse him in oil, light him on fire, and hit his bum with your sword for about ten to fifteen seconds.

uh... I wasn't complaining that the ogre was too hard for me, I was just saying he teaches you a bunch of wrong lessons on how to play the game. But yes, fire works well on him, correct.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Maybe they dialed up the amount of grabs he uses in NG+ but I swear they made up well over half of his attacks.

I thought that fight was supposed to teach you to use items/prothetics as well as the environment since the easiest way to beat him is to light him on fire and you get that information from eavesdropping on the guards right before the fight.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't got it yet myself, but knowing Fromsoft it probably heals a nearly invisible sliver of health anyways.
I keep forgetting to actually note down how much it is exactly, but going by eye, I think it heals about 20 hp or so. That ain't a pittance.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Depths Question do I need a key or anything to progress far?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

thebardyspoon posted:

Can someone give me a quick "yes you hosed it" or "no you can still do it" answer in spoilers as to whether I've jammed up getting the best ending or not? I think I'm getting nearish the end (feel free to tell me if I'm nowhere near) and have just beaten the same boss twice so if you haven't done anything like that don't read this.

So in general exploring I did the whole Sengou temple bit before I beat Genichiro, then went and met the kid and gave her the book pretty much straight after. Did some exploring today and found a dried snake viscera thing and then killed the living snake and got his fresh one. At some point when I went to visit the kid, she asked for a Persimmon which I had, so I gave her it and she gave me some rice for Kuro which I gave to him. Then I gave her the Taro Persimmon Katoro gave me but she just said thanks. Then just now I beat the Ape boss and she disappeared from the shrine, as I was wandering through the depths trying to find a potential side path I hadn't been down yet I had to fight the ape again as well as a new friend so I guess I wasn't supposed to have already fully explored that path/area behind them was I? Got through that village area all the way up to the monk fight so I just doubled back from the next idol and used that to get a shitload of hits on the ape while he was roaring at the start of the fight. Also I still haven't done anything with the two snake things yet so have I hosed it?

You have not hosed it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Depths Question do I need a key or anything to progress far?

Nothing but your skill stops you from completing the Depths as soon as you get there.

It is tuned to be relatively later in difficulty though.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Nothing but your skill stops you from completing the Depths as soon as you get there.

It is tuned to be relatively later in difficulty though.

I've done everything except that and Castle Boss yet.

And headless in depths gently caress him,tiny rear end arena with a tree

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

The Moon Monster posted:

Also is anyone using divine abduction? It's pretty fun. It opens those club wielding giants to a deathblow immediately, although spear guys will just bonk you with the butt of their spear without missing a beat.
Divine Abduction is super cool and useful for grinding out exp/money in Gun Fort, I just wish you didn't have to use it twice to get it to activate.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

The Moon Monster posted:

uh... I wasn't complaining that the ogre was too hard for me, I was just saying he teaches you a bunch of wrong lessons on how to play the game. But yes, fire works well on him, correct.

I'm just disagreeing that he teaches you kiting and spacing, I think he teaches you to be aggressive and use items just like just about every other enemy in the game.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Augus posted:

You have not hosed it

Thank you very much. This game is sweet as gently caress. The only enemies I really hate so far are the ghosts because the confetti stuff seems to last about 30 seconds and they slow you way down and feel really unpleasant.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I've done everything except that and Castle Boss yet.

And headless in depths gently caress him,tiny rear end arena with a tree

The castle boss is easier and unlocks more options to explore.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

The castle boss is easier and unlocks more options to explore.

Welp. I guess I should do him,yeah I've brickwalled on him yesterday and chose to explore. I've got loads of health and gourd more than yesterday tho

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I’m bashing my head against the Drunkard[\spoiler] and the B[spoiler]ull and don’t see myself beating either soon.

Am I missing something, or is there a less-insane path I could be on?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

I'm really tempted to just grind skill points until I can get the "heal on deathblows" upgrade but that's a lotta skillpoints and I'm sure that's just a surefire way to get bored real quick.

I got that skill without grinding, just chill a bit. Since you bank upgrades you don't really have to worry about losing them, you can slowly save up.

It is very nice to have, I saw some goon earlier saying it was so little healing that its not worth the skill points. I wouldn't prioritize it over some key combat arts, but it does heal enough that it adds up over the course of a level and saves you from using a potion, and one extra potion is pretty big for a boss fight.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Popular Human posted:

I’m bashing my head against the Drunkard[\spoiler] and the B[spoiler]ull and don’t see myself beating either soon.

Am I missing something, or is there a less-insane path I could be on?

Sprint around bull, assassinate drunkard's Buddies, Backstab him talk to guy at the pond who will assist you. Firecracker work okayish

Firecracker are great for bull

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
i'm gonna make a mod for sekiro and the only thing it'll do is rename the bull to "goon destroyer"

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Heal on deathblow is most valuable during big melees or if you wanna take on a miniboss without clearing out dudes first. It lets you frantically run around killing things and healing without having to waste time and gourds.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
So I couldn't get into the souls games because I'm a moron who needs the wiki open on a second monitor to understand basic interface and gameplay aspects. The world exploration was fun and cool and I liked the complexity of the combat but the souls mechanic and repeating long stretches to take another attempt at a boss wasn't for me. Couple questions, if someone doesn't mind answering: 1) Does Sekiro focus more on the combat and exploration? and 2) How steep is the learning curve? Is it something I can pick up and understand without having to pause and do research?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Farrier Theaks posted:

So I couldn't get into the souls games because I'm a moron who needs the wiki open on a second monitor to understand basic interface and gameplay aspects. The world exploration was fun and cool and I liked the complexity of the combat but the souls mechanic and repeating long stretches to take another attempt at a boss wasn't for me. Couple questions, if someone doesn't mind answering: 1) Does Sekiro focus more on the combat and exploration? and 2) How steep is the learning curve? Is it something I can pick up and understand without having to pause and do research?

Well, all the boss runs are nice and short at least

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I just made a point of launching a Cheat Engine table that can let you look at how much HP you have numerically.

The Deathblow Rally heals ten percent of your health precisely. Someone please put this in the OP, for future reference.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Sprint around bull, assassinate drunkard's Buddies, Backstab him talk to guy at the pond who will assist you. Firecracker work okayish

Firecracker are great for bull

How the hell are you supposed to backstab him? Also the guy at the pond auto-aggros as soon as I start picking off the goons and then dies in twenty seconds.

I really thought this game was starting to “click” after the horse boss. This sucks.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Farrier Theaks posted:

1. Sorta? Hard to answer. I would say Souls focused on combat and exploration so I don't seem to really grok your problem there, sorry.

2. Again, this is hard to answer, its very subjective. Depends upon how many action games you've played? Yes you can pick this up without having to do research. (But you could play dark souls without having to do research... haha. This definitely has less ... hidden stuff to worry about than souls? fewer mechanics maybe?)

This has no stats, no rings, no gear, no builds, so it should be much more straightforward if that's the kinda stuff that threw you off about souls. Its just purely you and your sword, dodge, jump swing, dodge, dodge, swing.

There is some replaying areas to get back to bosses, but as we were just saying, you can usually ninja past them and either sneak or run straight to the boss. And it feels like all bosses so far have had a bonfire pretty dang close by. So maybe you should give it a try? Its hard to say man I don't know :shobon: watch some youtubes?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Your Computer posted:

i'm gonna make a mod for sekiro and the only thing it'll do is rename the bull to "goon destroyer"

rename it to the Blazing Bully

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I assume I'm in the end-game area right now and it's one of the most beautiful environments I've ever seen in a video game, holy poo poo.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

I just made a point of launching a Cheat Engine table that can let you look at how much HP you have numerically.

The Deathblow Rally heals ten percent of your health precisely. Someone please put this in the OP, for future reference.

Does that mean the double is 20% cause niiiiiice

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Farrier Theaks posted:

1) yeah I think it does. The combat is more focused and the grapple is great mobility. I've enjoyed exploring and I love the combat. This game is much better than a dark souls entry to my mind.
2) It's a trench in the Pacific Ocean. The game tells you everything you need to know though. Just go in with block and parry being prime in your mind. Once you can deflect semi-reliably you'll be feeling like a master Shinobi.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Popular Human posted:

How the hell are you supposed to backstab him? Also the guy at the pond auto-aggros as soon as I start picking off the goons and then dies in twenty seconds.

I really thought this game was starting to “click” after the horse boss. This sucks.

You can get around and behind him. The guy didn't auto aggro for me,I did lure and backstab all the adds except one archer

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

s.i.r.e. posted:

I assume I'm in the end-game area right now and it's one of the most beautiful environments I've ever seen in a video game, holy poo poo.

Yeah it's really cool

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

Does that mean the double is 20% cause niiiiiice
I don't have double yet, but once I do, I'll check. I'd assume so, though.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

You can get around and behind him. The guy didn't auto aggro for me,I did lure and backstab all the adds except one archer

Maybe I just need to take a break and try tomorrow. I've played this game for five hours straight today (can't remember the last time I did that) and I'm starting to get all tilted and salty.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Popular Human posted:

Maybe I just need to take a break and try tomorrow. I've played this game for five hours straight today (can't remember the last time I did that) and I'm starting to get all tilted and salty.

Don’t go straight ahead use the side path and keep the fighting in that area.

After you kill the mob just leave to the town area and he will de agro and won’t journey towards the NPC. Then sneak attack him.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Popular Human posted:

Be advised, you have other areas the boss of the estate is kinda tricky and optional.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I can't kill that loving spear guy. gently caress.

I did kill that general and get into the gun fort though.

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010

He's actually sent to the Hall of Illusions, you can talk to him there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snicker-Snack posted:

He's actually sent to the Hall of Illusions, you can talk to him there.

Shhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't have double yet, but once I do, I'll check. I'd assume so, though.

is the ceremonial tanto 50%?