Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I loving love that Gebek is wagging his tale. :3:

G

Diog: We saw tubes going in different directions, it's pitch black, and there's plates of metal on the floor with holes. Can we see if there's any plates near any of the "pillars" and look at the bottom? Do these seem to be viewports or telescopes? Are the pillars floor to ceiling? Can we see their start/end prior to going into the wall?
Further explanation depends on what wins. The tubes went into the exterior wall and pointed up at an angle, since you can't see through stone you can't see where they go. Nothing said there were plates on the floor with holes, rather, there were shelves full of many thousands of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

We're the only black giant wandering around in an apartheid state. If we disappear for 24 hours we're going to start a panic.

We can probably sneak back in tomorrow night while Uriah is resting.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 25, 2019

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Depending on just HOW apartheid the state is black people disappearing may be exactly how it's supposed to work and right now there are some very confused assassins in our room.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

G

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

malbogio posted:

We're the only black giant wandering around in an apartheid state. If we disappear for 24 hours we're going to start a panic.

Yeah this is my big worry. If we can get out and let Uriah rest a bit so he’s not literally unconscious we can come back and gently caress some poo poo up barring being told to get out/stay out. I think he’d be more pissed we did it without him against not doing it at all. Remember how he was after we used the seirrow?

Uriah wakes up: “what the hell?”
:enkidel:: yeah there’s some moving statues and a bunch of heretical stuff in there. want to go gently caress it up?
:hist101:: hell yes i’m glad you waited for me

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

G What are they gonna do, open the doors? Squatters rights bitches.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Switching from F to G

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
G.

Dr Cheesequake
Dec 23, 2008

I dream of humans and goblins co-existing peacefully
K

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

G

:allears: goddamn this place makes me want to know all the things

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
G

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

malbogio posted:

We are a noticeable foreigner that went missing, but they don’t know where we have gone, so if we want to explore, we need to keep exploring. Something will come up, and people will vote to not come back. It is now or never.

BoyG
Nov 24, 2004

Have you heard the tale of the Cannibal King of Kavodel?
Changing from K to G

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

The eight floor has writing on it, exploring without Uriah is wasting time.ughhhhhh

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

G I guess, I'm definitely on team "I'm absolutely paranoid Diog TptB will lock the door behind us and we won't get another chance to hang out here for an IRL decade

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Truthfully, I'm more concerned at the idea of us spending a week in here exploring, coming out, and having the entire mighty man population of the city doing a dragnet to find us, then we have to explain how we disapearred in the middle of like six rings of monitored and walled checkpoints. We can't just say 'oh you know, we were around'.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Throwing in a vote for F

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
A I'm more worried our absence will be noted than this thing becoming inaccessible. It's already supposed to be locked to us, but that didn't stop our bullshit nephilim powers.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Diog, based on our vast expertise (?) on trade networks, could word of Chorazin have already reached Kavodel?

So excited to loot a sample of every foreign material we find here. Hopefully Snarls can help identify a few, Ahaz some others and if we send them to Kothar with Adina on his training trip a few more. Indor, if we hadn't burned that bridge. Zebanetha cna be a quick check for forbidden materials.

Ninhusarga may be interested on us looting that place if we can describe it to them.

Mr. Nemo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 25, 2019

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I'm definitely on team "I'm absolutely paranoid Diog TptB will lock the door behind us and we won't get another chance to hang out here for an IRL decade

Is there any precedent for this? Even one case in which TPTB have physically blocked us from going somewhere?

To the best of my recollection TPTB have only banned us from assuming Pretender status in El's lands on pain of exile. Aside from that they've only given us infrequent warnings of the potential consequences of our actions. TPTB have shown a strong preference against interfering with human free will wherever possible.

Even when TPTB tried to warn us of the consequences of going to Amalek (which led to Gebek following us back home at extreme cost to the GZMA) that appeared to be a melachim going rogue. Similarly Jaal appeared to be going rogue in warning us about the Nusku book and he never threatened to take it from us or punish us for keeping it. Visiting the Orm - a creature that can destroy cities just by moving - didn't merit a mention. When we broke into Amos' temple it only earned us a glare.

We can't venture south of the river anymore, but that's entirely because of the enemies we made rather than anything to do with TPTB.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

malbogio posted:

Is there any precedent for this? Even one case in which TPTB have physically blocked us from going somewhere?

To the best of my recollection TPTB have only banned us from assuming Pretender status in El's lands on pain of exile. Aside from that they've only given us infrequent warnings of the potential consequences of our actions. TPTB have shown a strong preference against interfering with human free will wherever possible.

Even when TPTB tried to warn us of the consequences of going to Amalek (which led to Gebek following us back home at extreme cost to the GZMA) that appeared to be a melachim going rogue. Similarly Jaal appeared to be going rogue in warning us about the Nusku book and he never threatened to take it from us or punish us for keeping it. Visiting the Orm - a creature that can destroy cities just by moving - didn't merit a mention. When we broke into Amos' temple it only earned us a glare.

We can't venture south of the river anymore, but that's entirely because of the enemies we made rather than anything to do with TPTB.

Well, Amos's Temple is one example from just this trip. Even if we don't get a fullstop ban there's always the risk we'll have less room to gently caress around and poke poo poo next time we come in due to more information hampering us and giving obligations that we don't currently have.

For clarification, my concern here isn't that the literal PtB come down and do it necessarily (although who knows), but as much they tip off the city's MM or church and they do basically the same.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Diog, based on our vast expertise (?) on trade networks, could word of Chorazin have already reached Kavodel?

So excited to loot a sample of every foreign material we find here. Hopefully Snarls can help identify a few, Ahaz some others and if we send them to Kothar with Adina on his training trip a few more. Indor, if we hadn't burned that bridge. Zebanetha cna be a quick check for forbidden materials.

Ninhusarga may be interested on us looting that place if we can describe it to them.

we can still get poo poo out of Indor if we pay a somewhat marked up price, but 3dad is even more likely to both find out and be super bummed if we resume any interactions with her at all than if the most recent was a youthful indiscretion in our 60s and 70s

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Well, Amos's Temple is one example from just this trip. Even if we don't get a fullstop ban there's always the risk we'll have less room to gently caress around and poke poo poo next time we come in due to more information hampering us and giving obligations that we don't currently have.

For clarification, my concern here isn't that the literal PtB come down and do it necessarily (although who knows), but as much they tip off the city's MM or church and they do basically the same.

Is there any precedent for TPTB using MM or the House of El to block our actions?

What information or obligations do you expect to prevent us from returning?

I guess Uriah could remind us of how reckless we're being, but that hasn't stopped us before and we don't even know how long he'll need to rest before regaining consciousness.

Ishamal would probably confirm that the very dangerous thing we are doing is very dangerous. But that really shouldn't be a surprise at this point, and there's no way we'd get a Snarlsogram back from him before tomorrow night anyway.

Edit: Amos' Temple is one example of what? Are you trying to argue the mild judgemental stare we got counts as TPTB interference or some sort of soft-ban? If so I'd argue it was extremely ineffectual.

malbogio fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 26, 2019

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I'd be really upset if we didn't get to come back, but Uriah's safety has to come first when he's defenseless like this and it seems possible, if somewhat unlikely, that he'd be in danger in here.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

2 left assuming super sweet best pal tells me what they want

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Wrong voter me up.

UppaTree
May 4, 2013

Do we have ink and parchment on us?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Mr. Nemo posted:

This seems highly unlikely.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

UppaTree posted:

Do we have ink and parchment on us?
In your pack, yes. Well, stuff with which to make ink, you just need water, which you have.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

malbogio posted:

Is there any precedent for TPTB using MM or the House of El to block our actions?

What information or obligations do you expect to prevent us from returning?

I guess Uriah could remind us of how reckless we're being, but that hasn't stopped us before and we don't even know how long he'll need to rest before regaining consciousness.

Ishamal would probably confirm that the very dangerous thing we are doing is very dangerous. But that really shouldn't be a surprise at this point, and there's no way we'd get a Snarlsogram back from him before tomorrow night anyway.

Edit: Amos' Temple is one example of what? Are you trying to argue the mild judgemental stare we got counts as TPTB interference or some sort of soft-ban? If so I'd argue it was extremely ineffectual.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that the Team Boring Ultras will always toe the line and act conservatively unless in-extremis.

However there is a larger group of Team Boring Moderates/Centrists who will interpret negative Melachim interference (Amok scrolls, Nusku book) following a discovery as a general mark of disapproval about exploring that idea further and once this has set in, it's highly unlikely any further exploration will occur. This same faction is happy to intepret the rules as being otherwise proscriptive (everything ok unless specifically disallowed - see 'discover things freely') so delaying the onset of the negatory command is imperative in preserving exploration opportunities.

Ergo - The melachim have not intervened whilst we have explored this tower. This may be because they don't care, or it may be because they are forbidden from interfering in this area, and our dispensation to 'live as a man' has allowed us to circumvent the celestial diplomancy which has been set in place preventing it. Leaving this tower will certainly return us to their sphere of influence, and we may get a direct or indirect command to desist from further exploration.

The Hard Hungerists and Hard Heretics will do what they usually do.

Edit - I am currently voting G, and I think this option is now in the lead. In the event of A pulling ahead, then I will change my vote to whichever exploration option has the highest vote explicitly to avoid an option A.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 26, 2019

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
I’m intensely curious but I also know we’re totally out of our depth here. Uriah shouldn’t be in here at all because he limits our options on account of being super conservative and also not a god. We’re running out of time. We’ve damaged barkstone, which I didn’t think was possible. And god knows what the powers that be or the House of El will have to say about any of this.

With that in mind, I’m voting A. Get out, get some rest, and wait and see if any poo poo hits the fan. If it doesn’t, my preference would be to climb the outside of the tower tomorrow night, then take things from there.

Absum
May 28, 2013

A

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Coq au Nandos posted:

I’m intensely curious but I also know we’re totally out of our depth here. Uriah shouldn’t be in here at all because he limits our options on account of being super conservative and also not a god. We’re running out of time. We’ve damaged barkstone, which I didn’t think was possible. And god knows what the powers that be or the House of El will have to say about any of this.

With that in mind, I’m voting A. Get out, get some rest, and wait and see if any poo poo hits the fan. If it doesn’t, my preference would be to climb the outside of the tower tomorrow night, then take things from there.

"We may have upset spoke people, we better see if they want to punish us for being a naughty boy before we continue doing cool stuff"

Shaking my head so hard

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A,because I want Uriah rested up. Also climb the tower solo with the shoes. Also get back in. Also find out how much trouble we're in.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
F -- but if Diogines decides not to count 'explore' groups together I'd like a chance to switch to the leading 'explore' option.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Diogines posted:

While it has not been decided yet, it makes sense to us to weigh "options to keep exploring" against "options to rest" and then pick from each group the lead vote. If you disagree your input is welcome.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If leave votes were made to require a 50% majority in the future, adventure voters wouldn't feel so pressured to change to the leading stay vote. It would probably help with the mysterious vote history tracking Diog has alluded to.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's uploaded...

Just paste the following into your avatar when you buy a new one (this has the url of the thread added to it, so it doubles up as advertising).

code:
[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550307][timg]https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/be/a2/00189910.0002.gif[/timg][/url]
I tested it on Mr. Nemo.

Just requoting this. There's also a Hunger tag going around, which works the same way.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

If leave votes were made to require a 50% majority in the future, adventure voters wouldn't feel so pressured to change to the leading stay vote. It would probably help with the mysterious vote history tracking Diog has alluded to.
It is not a hard rule, but we do generally group like minded options together and weigh them against other similar options? If the choices are apples, oranges, pears or cutting your genitals off, well, even if the last one has more than any other single option (somehow....) if most people would prefer getting a fruit than losing theirs, it will makes sense that getting some fruit to win?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Just requoting this. There's also a Hunger tag going around, which works the same way.

Imagine four balls on the edge of a cliff, and when one falls off another takes its place for eternity.

HUNGER works the same way