Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Astroman posted:

1.31x in the US. I always thought $12.99 or $20 was fair; when that goes to $17 or $26 it's a bit much. $40 for a season of Jago and Litefoot? Really?

It's not like the exchange rate means suddenly you are making more or less salary, so why should I suddenly have to pay more? A guy in the UK who made £50k a year 5 years ago and was paying £12.99 for an audio is paying the same portion of their salary now as they were then. If I made $50k a year 5 years ago and was paying $12.99 for an audio I now have to pay $17. It's not like I was reaping some big benefit over the other guy.When the US Dollar went up I didn't take a pay cut.

It's not going to increase their UK sales; people won't say "Finally, now the pricing is fair, I'll buy more!" What will happen is they'll sell less titles to international buyers, but maybe non-UK sales are such a small portion they can lose us?

A real shame. I have spent thousands on Big Finish and this is how they feel about my business? :(

edit: LOL on the Not The Big Finish Forum some guy pointed out this is DOUBLING prices for Canadians.

http://notthebigfinishforum.freeforums.net/thread/5367/important-information-customers-overseas

:suicide:

A person earning £50,000 in the UK is not equivalent to someone earning $50,000 in America, though, it's actually more like $65,000. Currencies are worth different amounts, and it makes sense that prices should recognise that. British people are already having to pay the equivalent of $17 for an audio because that's what exchange rates mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2016/10/18/bog-off-you-twit-rear end-face/

Petition to change thread title to "Bog off you twit rear end face".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Davros1 posted:

Doctor Who Is Cancelled. No Refunds. Bog Off, You Twit rear end-Face

Poetry~

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Big fan of the UI on that site, which has obviously not been updated since 4:3 monitors fell out of fashion.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

Vinylshadow posted:

Doctor Who Is Cancelled. No Refunds. Bog Off, You Twit rear end-Face

Poetry~

May The Seed of Your Loins be Fruitful in the Belly of Your Woman

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Astroman posted:

It's not like the exchange rate means suddenly you are making more or less salary,
you are a bit. the printed number on the payslip hasn't changed, but the ability to exchange it for goods or services has. the value has changed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

I hope this is because Ian Levine said something rude to Dave Chapman once :)

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
Welcome, Americans, to a taste of the lived experience of the entire planet.

e: still mad about how many extra weeks of paper rounding Streets of rage 2 took.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/StuartHumphryes/status/1109450145865912321

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Straight up lava lamps there. That seems lazy, but ok.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

:hmmyes:

I remember one (possibly apocryphal) story about how they’d found this great new substance for Ark in Space - bubblewrap! The problem was that by the time the episodes were airing, bubblewrap was now everywhere, and everyone could identify it on sight.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

It's easy to forget the details of Time Of The Doctor because for all the lore in it the two main scenes are the pet cyberman dying and Clara's family arguing about Christmas crackers :v:

What's funny is those are actually the best parts of the episode, on a rewatch. Making Matt Smith act around all that makeup in his last episode was a real bummer, and the whole "All of the Doctor's enemies are gathered together" idea had already been done in previous seasons, executed better. The Doctor arguing with Handles about when to remind him to fix something, and everything about Clara using the Doctor as a fake boyfriend is actually enjoyable:

The Doctor: Hello, the TARDIS.
Clara: Emergency. You’re my boyfriend.
The Doctor: Ding dong! Okay, brilliant. I may be a bit rusty in some areas but I will glance at a manual.
Clara: No, no. You’re not actually my boyfriend.
The Doctor: Oh. That was quick. It’s a roller coaster, this phone call.
Clara: But I need a boyfriend. Really quickly.
The Doctor: Well I hope you’re nicer to the next one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Although, that there's then all that stuff with the pope lady hitting on the Doctor and the grandma being thirsty for Matt Smith, Moffat definitely should have taken a cold shower before he wrote that episode, it's extremely horny almost throughout the whole thing.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man I love grandma. "Are we playing twister now?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Tasha Lem was such a weird character. It felt very much like she was supposed to be River in the first draft, but then some backtracking happened, and not everything that was originally River got cut like it should have been?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I kept waiting for the Papal Mainframe stuff to somehow end up connecting back to the Library or something. Both are giant repositories of information, one of which has as perfect a copy of River as it was possible to get - it seemed reasonable to me that the Mainframe had either originated as or copied data from the Library) but in the end I think she was just supposed to be a character the Doctor had a close relationship with from off-screen adventures :shrug:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I assumed she was initially meant to be Madam Kovarian pre-series 6 but Moffat decided it would be better to have a different character with a (linearly) pre-established relationship for whatever reason. Maybe to be more flirty or to cut down on having to catch the audience up, though it's not the most newbie-friendly episode in any case. Maybe not of course; the episode is pretty much about discarding all that continuity stuff so maybe Kovarian coming back was never on the cards

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Bless them, they tried

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

And of course when this pricing thing happens, they announce cool poo poo like this:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/seventh-doctor-and-mags1

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Astroman posted:

And of course when this pricing thing happens, they announce cool poo poo like this:

Now with 100% less helicopter murder! :v:

yes, I know that happened on the set of the twilight zone movie, shut up

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

You've got a week until the changes go into effect. Pre-order it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

True, but at least they didn't order the prop from the Sharper Image catalog...

Like when I watched Remembrance in 89, as awesome as the rest of the episode was, that static globe made me cringe.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Astroman posted:

Like when I watched Remembrance in 89, as awesome as the rest of the episode was, that static globe made me cringe.

Hold on, I got this...

It looks like a static globe because that's what it is. Due to a severe lack of resources from their own civil war (ironically mirroring the Thal/Kaled war), the Daleks had only a limited range of time travel capability at this point. (The Time Corridor seems to require the power source of a functioning starship or space station, and we only saw their TARDIS-like timeship once, so it was likely a one-of-a-kind prototype lost forever thanks to the navigational skills of Bad Math Dalek). They could only jump forward or backward a few decades. The static globe was similar enough to touch-based display technology (that the Daleks have for whenever they need to show something to inferior species with their useless, useless "hands") that they snagged it from the near future and modified it with Space Tech. It's no different than the Tenth or Eleventh Doctors making Space poo poo out of household objects.

As for how they acquired the static globe, please consult my pulse-pounding tie-in novel Radio Shack of the Daleks.

After The War fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 26, 2019

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We've got a trailer for The Macra Terror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0q5sQ6MyjQ

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Catherine Tate was on the newest David Tennant podcast. They spend the last 15 minutes or so talking about Doctor Who. I thought it was pretty interesting none of the Doctor Who staff thought Tate would agree to come back for the 4th Series, but when she did - they axed another companion/storyline they had planned out.

It's also great how little Doctor Who she has watched or understood.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There's some stuff in The Writer's Tale about Alternate S4, and "Penny", a journalist companion that Donna replaced.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Penny did make an appearance in "Partners in Crime".

So I just realized something. The audio, "Davros", is chocked filled with references to "Diff'rent Strokes".

The company the Baynes' owned, "Trans Allied, Inc", shares the name with the company owned by Mr Drummond in the show.. Who was played by Conrad BAINS.

Martin Jarvis' character is ARNOLD BAYNES (Bain).
There's a character called WILLIS.
And a KIMBERLY TODD.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

It's not great animation but it's a big improvement on previous ones. I'm so happy this is an ongoing thing that is happening with the lost stories.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Davros1 posted:

Penny did make an appearance in "Partners in Crime".

So I just realized something. The audio, "Davros", is chocked filled with references to "Diff'rent Strokes".

The company the Baynes' owned, "Trans Allied, Inc", shares the name with the company owned by Mr Drummond in the show.. Who was played by Conrad BAINS.

Martin Jarvis' character is ARNOLD BAYNES (Bain).
There's a character called WILLIS.
And a KIMBERLY TODD.

What are you talking about, Davros?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

What are you talking about, Davros?

Actually, I think it would be:

"WHAT ARE YOU TALK-ING ABOUT, DAV-ROS?!!"

Vinylshadow posted:

Was Polly always that tall? :drat:

I'd be down with seeing some BF Companion Chronicles animated in this style.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
do a puppet version of the scorchies

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Happy birthday (New) Doctor Who!:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvdqHDaH5xl/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

And we’ve had 6 Doctors in that time!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Got to the end of the War Games in my rewatch. Currently feeling sad about Jamie and Zoe being memory wiped. I watched a couple of reconstructions that I hadn't seen before, including the animated Power of the Daleks, and definitely have more of an appreciation for that 2 and Jamie and Zoe or Victoria team.

Now to watch all the Pertwee episodes for the millionth time, hell yeah.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 61 days!

He was so brilliant in that story.

"But I don't exist in your world!"
"Then you won't feel the bullets when we shoot you. :smug:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Harlock posted:

Catherine Tate was on the newest David Tennant podcast.

Along these lines, Krysten Ritter is on the new newest David Tennant podcast and she is delightful. It also has the best pre-interview banter yet of the entire series.