Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

quote:

Ashes could herald new era for Tests with names and numbers on shirts

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...py_to_clipboard

gently caress OFF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Afghanistan won their first test match

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can not wait to see Shahzad in the WC

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cricket/comments/b2xxba/this_video_of_mohammad_shahzad_running_is_the/

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I used to play in a team with a 70-year old who ran like that.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Still the top beefy cricket lad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7JqnXrvmx8

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
Cricinfo are launching some new advanced stats: http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26312449/how-smart-stats-works

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ugh

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/bbctms/status/1108774590547968001

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Sure, I guess.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

What a poor choice

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.

You Am I posted:

What a poor choice

That interview with Gilchrist showed he's as dumb as a brick with zero personal integrity.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Love this pic with the speed dealers and goatee. Looks like one stupid motherfucker

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Smorgasbord posted:

That interview with Gilchrist showed he's as dumb as a brick with zero personal integrity.

He would rat out his own country if he could get the chance

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Attributes of lead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
did anyone see the runout in the IPL match, i'm usually on the side of "you don't need a warning to Mankad someone" but this one looks like the bowler was deliberately cancelling his action and trying to fool the batsman into thinking he had entered his delivery stride, which seems really silly, and arguably against the rules about running out the non-striker during the delivery.

https://streamable.com/ny3r1

this will get removed in like an hour but yeah he's backing up normally and wouldn't have been out of the crease if Ashwin had actually completed his delivery, which seems like a stupid grey area

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 25, 2019

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, Ashwin's going for 'oval office of the Week' award there

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like I am all for "run out a batsman who backs up too much without warning" but that seems straight up like an attempt to hope the batsman is assuming you'll finish your delivery and get a sneaky wicket

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

It's sneaky af but I have no sympathy for anyone who gets out that way. If you want to leave your crease you run the risk of being runout. Assuming bowlers don't take the piss trying to do it every delivery I have no problem with them running out people not paying attention.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is getting perilously close to "spirit of the game" bs but I think the intent of running out the non-striker is to prevent people from being assholes and stealing a yard on the bowler, and not a sneaky way to get a wicket because you cancelled your delivery.

Also the rules are not very clear but it's possible that doing that is a dead ball anyway.

quote:

If the non-striker is out of his/her ground from the moment the ball comes into play to the instant when the bowler would normally have been expected to release the ball, the bowler is permitted to attempt to run him/her out. Whether the attempt is successful or not, the ball shall not count as one in the over.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Buttler's guilty of being a bit dozy there, but Ashwin's waiting for him to leave the crease rather than running out someone who's half a dozen yards down the pitch

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm all for mankad'ing but Ashwin reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaally was taking the piss with that one. Buttler should have been awake sure but he was not attempting to take an illegal advantage - there is no way known he was going to be in front of the line if Ashwin had bowled. Ashwin also clearly waited until Buttler wandered out of the crease well after his delivery stride.

quote:

This is getting perilously close to "spirit of the game" bs but I think the intent of running out the non-striker is to prevent people from being assholes and stealing a yard on the bowler, and not a sneaky way to get a wicket because you cancelled your delivery.

Absolutely this. Mankad'ing is 100% supposed to be getting a cheating batsman out. Buttler was not attempting to take an illegal advantage and would not have been cheating if Ashwin bowled.

TBH the umpires should have called it a dead ball.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If you have to turn around to Mankad someone it should be not out, bam problem solved pay me ICC

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

quote:

"Look, it was very instinctive. On my part, it was very instinctive. It was not planned or anything like that."

About as instinctive as me going to Cricinfo to find this quote and then quoting it here and typing a not-very-witty remark alongside it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/MitchJohnson398/status/1110313750790180865

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Mitchell Johnson not understanding what "the spirit of the game" means, shocker

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I was Mankadded once in a midweek 20 over league many years ago, dude warned me twice and was a family friend.

Still did the third time though and called me a silly oval office!

Cheers Marcell.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/tinobest/status/1110304011759038465

Tino has a point

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Do you suppose Indian fans would see it that way if one of their team gets Mankad'd in the World Cup game against Pakistan?
Or do you think Modi would just order the nukes to be launched?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

100% agree with Tino - batsmen are cunts.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Mankad all the batsmen all the time.
Especially Kohli in a World Cup knockout game.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that true buuut....

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
This thread is ancient enough I am sure I can dig up posts of mine supporting mankading but that was poo poo by Ashwin. I absolutely think its fine before the bowler enters his delivery stride but where it becomes an issue is if a bowler stops mid action and turns around and runs the batsman out.

Yes we can all say Buttler should have been watching Ashwin but I don't feel like Buttler was trying to gain advantage. It Ashwin had delivered the ball as he normally would have Buttler would have remained in the crease and backed up fairly.

The picture CAT INTERCEPTOR posted above shows that Buttler was still in his ground as Ashwin turned around to break the stumps lol. He got run out because of muscle memory. Surely its gone past the point the batsmen would expect the bowler to "normally" let go of the ball. Its a dead ball for mine

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 26, 2019

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Varkk posted:

Mankad all the batsmen all the time.
Especially Kohli in a World Cup knockout game.
:hai:

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Seriously just penalize unsuccessful Mankads with a free hit or something, like balks in baseball.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Yeah I'd be fine with unsuccessful ones being punished, maybe five runs like if the ball hits a helmet or something.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

This is generally a pro-Mankad forum but yeah gently caress that.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Mankading before you enter your delivery stride I'm all for. Give a warning first or not who cares? But Ashwin stopping in the middle of his action and literally stand there waiting for Buttler to go 1 cm past the crease before mankading him is a oval office's trick.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If the bit in the law about "normally expected to release the ball" isn't there to cover that specific grey area I don't know what it's there for.

The MCC weighed in and more or less punted the question, saying that "expected to release the ball" was a judgement call by the third official so the dimissial itself was legal.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 26, 2019

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Still loling that he claimed it wasn't planned, just happened to be his final over against a set batsman who was winning them the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's just a normal thing to just stop mid delivery to have a look around.