Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

quote:

Q: Does this mod add gourds to the game? i think i saw one spawn but it might've been my mind playing tricks on me...

A: I am entirely sure that in my mod there in no vegetables and there will never be any. However, if it was here, it chance to spawn would be exactly 0.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got to the stage where I need a rocket silo today, plopped it down and it dawned on me that the 3.4M coal I'd put it next to would do just fine for rocket fuel. My first serious use of the liquefaction recipe. I'm rebuilding parts with blue belt and beacons now too which means waiting while the upgraded chip/module factories produce enough to speed themselves up and then start supplying the rest. It's Factorio screensaver mode for a bit while that goes on.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Ratzap posted:

I got to the stage where I need a rocket silo today, plopped it down and it dawned on me that the 3.4M coal I'd put it next to would do just fine for rocket fuel. My first serious use of the liquefaction recipe. I'm rebuilding parts with blue belt and beacons now too which means waiting while the upgraded chip/module factories produce enough to speed themselves up and then start supplying the rest. It's Factorio screensaver mode for a bit while that goes on.

I'm in the exact same position! I built a huge, fully beaconed rocket parts factory to ratio only to find that I have a trickle of solid fuel. My launch pad is adjacent to a very large coal patch and coal liquifaction is one of the few things I have yet to explore. Something tells me that it's not a coincidence that they have an advanced process for a resource that is in extremely high demand in the end game.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So speaking of liquidification, what's a good ratio? Based on the calculator I'm gonna build with 70 refineries into plastic and that should just about suck dry 4 belts of coal, I think that's something like 38 plastic plants?

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

FISHMANPET posted:

So speaking of liquidification, what's a good ratio? Based on the calculator I'm gonna build with 70 refineries into plastic and that should just about suck dry 4 belts of coal, I think that's something like 38 plastic plants?

To crack all that coal (70 refineries worth) into petroleum, you'll need approximately 46 heavy to light, 64 light to petroleum... but that's ratio wise.

If i did my napkin math right, you're looking at 9 heavy to light, 26 light to gas, and 20 plastic plants...maybe a little more if you're not feeding the heavy oil back into the system.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Someone posted a 3-refinery closed loop coal liquefactory for solid fuel that I made tilable in my base. The only input after startup is coal. I just plugged 10 barrels of heavy oil into one of the tanks and dumped some coal in the first boiler, and the whole set of 8 just took off from there.

It powers all my smelters and is still too much for the amount of rocket fuel I'm using. I might need to set up another set for more petroleum for plastic / sufluric acid.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 25, 2019

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
About 30 hours into my first time with Bob's mods and I'm starting to need Cobalt for things but have still not encountered any on the map at all (I've seen just about everything else at this point). Am I missing something or is there a recipe I didn't see that allows me to get it from something else? It seemed like everything needed a byproduct that came from the ore but I can't figure out how to get the ore in the first place. I am using JUST Bob's on this run no Angel besides infinite ore not sure if that makes any difference.

Really loving the complexity Bob's adds, although it's pretty rough being deep into the game and having robots be SO slow they are practically useless still. I'm churning through blue science and just about to finish setting up blue chip automation. Still managing to keep things fairly well laid out although I haven't really made any kind of bus system at all still yet by using warehouses in a sort of "hub" at the center of a city block style setup. Probably just going to eventually go straight to bots/trains but being able to buffer up 1m+ resources and pipe it out of 1 spot is kind of nice.

Also seconding the coal liquefaction loop posted above me, you only need to insert 1 single barrel of oil to start and a couple pieces of fuel + a water line and it can essentially turn Coal -> Rocket fuel if you want or just solid fuel mass production. It generates more heavy oil than it consumes so after 1 cycle it is self sustaining already.

Scorps fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 25, 2019

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

nullEntityRNG posted:

To crack all that coal (70 refineries worth) into petroleum, you'll need approximately 46 heavy to light, 64 light to petroleum... but that's ratio wise.

If i did my napkin math right, you're looking at 9 heavy to light, 26 light to gas, and 20 plastic plants...maybe a little more if you're not feeding the heavy oil back into the system.

Now that I'm computer posting and not phone posting: https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.html#data=0-17-1x&cp=2&min=4&fuel=solid-fuel&p=coal&belt=express-transport-belt&items=plastic-bar:f:38
So 38 plastic factories will suck down 3.92 blue belts of coal (39 puts it over 4) so that's what I'll build because that's the scale I prefer in my standalone remote processors. That means 70 refineries, 45 heavy to light, 4 light to solid fuel (to create the steam), 63 light to petroleum, 12 boilers, and exactly 38 plastic factories, to produce 1.69 blue belts of plastic. You can cut that in half to 19 plastic plants to consume 2 blue belts of coal, or 9 plastic plants to consume only a single blue belt of coal.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

You might also like https://mods.factorio.com/mod/selfsealingstembolts

True to canon, there's no way to get rid of them

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

GotLag posted:

You might also like https://mods.factorio.com/mod/selfsealingstembolts

True to canon, there's no way to get rid of them

As I recall, there is a guy on Bajor willing to trade some land for the self sealing stem bolts he ordered.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
But land is free and infinite! The economics just don't work out. Unless it's in a prime location for a water reclamation plant.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ha, that's great.

Watching DS9 and playing Factorio has been a bit of a favourite way to relax lately for me.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019
Not satisfied with the challenge I was getting from biters anymore (a wall lined with artillery tends to keep things quiet to the point of boredom) I decided to up the stakes a bit. So I maxed out all the biter settings, cooldown, group size, etc. This had some effect, but there was still more challenge to be had!

So then I decided it was time to install Rampant. Configured some settings, loaded my most recent save and promptly had two mining outposts eaten for breakfast as the horde slowly approached, eating every bit of train track and signal they saw along their way.

I have now decided that maxed out vanilla biters are good enough.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

Now that I'm computer posting and not phone posting: https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.html#data=0-17-1x&cp=2&min=4&fuel=solid-fuel&p=coal&belt=express-transport-belt&items=plastic-bar:f:38
So 38 plastic factories will suck down 3.92 blue belts of coal (39 puts it over 4) so that's what I'll build because that's the scale I prefer in my standalone remote processors. That means 70 refineries, 45 heavy to light, 4 light to solid fuel (to create the steam), 63 light to petroleum, 12 boilers, and exactly 38 plastic factories, to produce 1.69 blue belts of plastic. You can cut that in half to 19 plastic plants to consume 2 blue belts of coal, or 9 plastic plants to consume only a single blue belt of coal.

Interesting, I wonder what using it for lubricant comes out to since the process is heavy weighted. Looking at it there's more than enough surplus light and petrol to make into fuel.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

TigerXtrm posted:

Not satisfied with the challenge I was getting from biters anymore (a wall lined with artillery tends to keep things quiet to the point of boredom) I decided to up the stakes a bit. So I maxed out all the biter settings, cooldown, group size, etc. This had some effect, but there was still more challenge to be had!

So then I decided it was time to install Rampant. Configured some settings, loaded my most recent save and promptly had two mining outposts eaten for breakfast as the horde slowly approached, eating every bit of train track and signal they saw along their way.

I have now decided that maxed out vanilla biters are good enough.

We had the same idea then. I tweaked a few settings to make it work but I'm liking the endless hordes at my gates. Along with the usual RSO rail world with sparse resources I turned biter nest size and density all the way up to max. With expansion turned on as usual. And the Rampant and Explosive Biters mods. This planet is spicy.

My first oil based production was flamethrower fuel. And then plastics to make a tank and explosive shells. Whenever I drove back to base to resupply I would hand load items into my utility science production so I could get logistics systems researched. I set up uranium processing as soon as I could even though I had no intention of setting up a power plant, just needed that depleted uranium.

To help counteract the insanity I turned evolution speed WAY down and fireproof bots helped reduce the casualty rate a bit. Acid still destroys them by the train load. I'm entirely closed off inside the walls right now but I have seen that the bugs have a greater appetite for train tracks so that will be a future problem to solve.

HOLD THE LINE :black101:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have a confession to make.

I’ve never built a flamethrower turret.

:(

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You're missing out, they're pretty good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Particularly in 0.17 I've noticed that Flamethrower turrets are fantastic because of their range. The biggest spitters have enough range to get in - if you'll forgive the pun - spitting distance of regular and laser turrets to get a shot off before they're eviscerated. Flamethrowers give no fucks though and burn them to death long before they get in range.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I always liked Bob's (Warfare? Aliens?) bugs adding three extra tiers on top of Behemoth (giant, ??? and titan) as well as adding elemental bugs that spit fire/electricity/explosive etc. If the game were capable of really making use of the extra effects it would be super kick rear end rather than "hey that's pretty neat" like if electric bugs (or Bob's electric rounds) could arc to extra targets or do extra damage to shields etc etc

Sydin posted:

Particularly in 0.17 I've noticed that Flamethrower turrets are fantastic because of their range. The biggest spitters have enough range to get in - if you'll forgive the pun - spitting distance of regular and laser turrets to get a shot off before they're eviscerated. Flamethrowers give no fucks though and burn them to death long before they get in range.

Lasers outrange all bugs, and while they CAN kill fast enough to prevent spits, the presence of Biters throws the calculus off. I'm 95% sure that gun turrets match behemoth spitters, and they can definitely kill them fast enough provided behemoth bugs aren't tanking shots for them-- and since behemoth biters run faster and turrets target closest first, that gives the spitters their opening.

The trick is to use both gun and laser turrets- the very first bug is obliterated, then the guns wait for the charging biters (and grind them to dust with their superior DPS) while the lasers that can very quickly snap between targets then get to pick out the spitters and melt them (with their much smaller HP) in short order without wasting more than a few frames on the biters.

Flame turrets do indeed outrange them all, but the slow-travel fire means that all bugs get a chance to deal damage if not covered by other turrets. If you have oil nearby, sure hook up a line to reduce your power/ammo consumption, but gun/laser combo does all the work needed to, say, repel a horde after your arty train parks nearby.

edit: wording for clairity

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 26, 2019

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Scorps posted:

About 30 hours into my first time with Bob's mods and I'm starting to need Cobalt for things but have still not encountered any on the map at all (I've seen just about everything else at this point). Am I missing something or is there a recipe I didn't see that allows me to get it from something else? It seemed like everything needed a byproduct that came from the ore but I can't figure out how to get the ore in the first place. I am using JUST Bob's on this run no Angel besides infinite ore not sure if that makes any difference.

Cobalt comes from a byproduct of one of the methods of smelting copper bars. It's very, very easy to miss in the huge recipe page and I missed it to for a very long time. I remember when I checked the thread for it on the Factorio forums so long ago it came up all the time.

When they added the cool new copy/paste functionality in the update, did they add any new ways to really utilize construction ghosts before you have construction bots? Or is hitting q on a ghost to bring the item to your hand still the only method?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Manyorcas posted:

Cobalt comes from a byproduct of one of the methods of smelting copper bars. It's very, very easy to miss in the huge recipe page and I missed it to for a very long time. I remember when I checked the thread for it on the Factorio forums so long ago it came up all the time.

When they added the cool new copy/paste functionality in the update, did they add any new ways to really utilize construction ghosts before you have construction bots? Or is hitting q on a ghost to bring the item to your hand still the only method?

Easier to just post a screenshot than type words:

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Dootman posted:

Easier to just post a screenshot than type words:

That feature I found already, and I'm sure it'll be super handy later on, but pre-bots there's no quick way to actually build where those ghosts are when copy/pasting? Mostly wondering if copy/paste is all that practical early game.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Oh I misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant placing down ghosts for planning purposes. You can't auto build them without bots, you can only hand place them.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If you point at a ghost and hit Q it will put one of those things on your cursor, then you just gotta click to place. Using copy/paste like this you even get the recipes loaded immediately.

But that's the best you can do before bots

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The ghost clicking has the advantage of pasting inserter and belt orientation as well as assembler recipe. It really does make building faster. Not bot fast obviously, but quicker than you can do it manually until you've got 200 hours of muscle memory.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I have muscle alzheimers

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Behemoth worms are not loving around.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Can I change alien spawn settings mid map?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Started building artillery turrets along my wall, and now I need to make my first roboport network to heal the walls and turrets because drat do the biters hate artillery.. haha..

I've got the very beginnings of the network extended to one wall from my factory, and have an assembler making robots and sticking them into one roboport (yes it's slow as my supply of the flying pack things is coming from a single assembler, but it was just a hack to get it started while I worked on other things). I have another assembler sticking repair packs into another roboport. As long as I connect everything together, those two sources should theoretically feed the entire wall network as I extend it around, right? Or do I need to set up requestor/supplier chest thingies and logistics bots to distribute them?

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Evilreaver posted:

If you point at a ghost and hit Q it will put one of those things on your cursor, then you just gotta click to place.

Holy poo poo, this changes everything!

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
I'm at about 650 hours but my hope is I'm still ignorant of a few tricks.

E.g., is there a way without using a throwaway blueprint to start placing ghosts of something you don't have in your inventory? I know the dropper trick doesn't work in this case.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Sillybones posted:

Can I change alien spawn settings mid map?

Yes there are console commands that can change it, but it disables achievements. Just look up factorio console commands.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Duodecimal posted:

I'm at about 650 hours but my hope is I'm still ignorant of a few tricks.

E.g., is there a way without using a throwaway blueprint to start placing ghosts of something you don't have in your inventory? I know the dropper trick doesn't work in this case.

Settings -> Interface -> Interaction (lower right) -> Pick ghost item if no items are available

Apparently it defaults to off until you do the tutorial to "avoid confusing people" but I really question the logic of that decision

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

Necrosaro posted:

Yes there are console commands that can change it, but it disables achievements. Just look up factorio console commands.

There's also a mod for it that is very originally called "Change map settings".

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FISHMANPET posted:

Behemoth worms are not loving around.

No kidding, my game is around the 60 hour mark now (I'm having fun rebuilding things with the new tools rather than just finish a rocket) and the combination of 100% evolution and distance from the start area is making them appear a lot. Drive a tank into a nest with them the first time without checking and you'll be skidding along on your arse real quick. I switched over to mass nuke production - gently caress getting spat on.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Several flame turrets supplementing lasers/turrets is great. The first few biters will get through a flame turret because of the slower firing speed (significantly less if you dragon's tooth your wall), but everything else in that wave will get all of the flame turret aoe. This leaves tremendously less HP for your single target lasers/turrets to chew through. Its effectiveness ramps up with the larger the incoming waves, so mileage ultimately depends on biter settings/mods/pollution cloud. If you suddenly get a larger wave against your wall than you were expecting, then flame turrets will usually allow it to hold at least once, when a laser/turret outpost would get overwhelmed.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 26, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

M_Gargantua posted:

The ghost clicking has the advantage of pasting inserter and belt orientation as well as assembler recipe. It really does make building faster. Not bot fast obviously, but quicker than you can do it manually until you've got 200 hours of muscle memory.

It still has the downside that you can click the wrong spot and place something misaligned, which then nukes the ghosts that used to be on the ground beneath the thing you just placed.

It would be nice to have a "only-onto-ghosts" placing mode so you could e.g. run along a line of copy-pasted assemblers holding M1 to place inserters onto the blueprint without creating a bunch of extra ones in the wrong place.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Duodecimal posted:

Someone posted a 3-refinery closed loop coal liquefactory for solid fuel that I made tilable in my base. The only input after startup is coal. I just plugged 10 barrels of heavy oil into one of the tanks and dumped some coal in the first boiler, and the whole set of 8 just took off from there.

It powers all my smelters and is still too much for the amount of rocket fuel I'm using. I might need to set up another set for more petroleum for plastic / sufluric acid.

I've been going back and forth on this because I don't download blueprints normally but I can't seem to find much information about ideal coal liquifaction layouts that only make solid fuel. Can you post the blueprint string?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I know this is probably not remarkable, but I LOVE seeing my map representation of my base. My second. My love. My precious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

RVWinkle posted:

I've been going back and forth on this because I don't download blueprints normally but I can't seem to find much information about ideal coal liquifaction layouts that only make solid fuel. Can you post the blueprint string?

The original is from a post on reddit. It is actually really clever with the usage of space. It's hard to find one thing to change that doesn't make it worse.

Did my best to slice out a tilable section from my version below. Might need to hook up some belts, and the water input on the left. I didn't trust the original design to not accidentally consume all the oil, so I have pumps on both the crackers wired to the tank to keep them from drawing down below 500. The circuit isn't needed because the original had only one pump feeding back into the refineries, so only overflow would make it into the crackers anyway -- but I'm paranoid. To tile this properly, the underground pipes at the top connect to the boiler on the bottom left.

https://pastebin.com/3JGXn7vf

[edit]
Also, in the reddit thread someone added efficiency modules and a steam engine to it to make it power neutral.

GotLag posted:

Settings -> Interface -> Interaction (lower right) -> Pick ghost item if no items are available

:doh:

The settings menu. Of course.
... huh. These actually fix a number things. I haven't looked in here since the first week I played this.

Duodecimal fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 27, 2019