Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mekilljoydammit posted:

Secret Aardvark's one of my "always keep handy" sauces. I found out about it last year and have gone through 4-5 bottles since.

It's this. It's becoming more available in stores recently and it's great.

Dave's Habanero sauce is pretty good too, but I ran out and haven't gotten more recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

None of the stores near me carry Valentina anymore. :mad:

Like alright I guess I can understand Aldi not bothering anymore but, come on, the Portuguese grocery store across town with all the Latin American stuff doesn't have it either. Wondering if there's a distributor around here who didn't want to bother with it.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 22, 2019

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Apparently they sold some around Halloween already, sorry if repeat but wtf. Sticking with reapers for now..

https://macknade.com/shop/macknade-larder/scientific-steves-venom-chilli-sauce/

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
How is Valentina so thick without using a thickening agent? Some magic of industrial food science? Omitting it from their ingredients list? It also kinda clings to everything.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
My guess would be that it's hidden in 'spices'.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

mekilljoydammit posted:

Secret Aardvark's one of my "always keep handy" sauces. I found out about it last year and have gone through 4-5 bottles since.

I just got a bottle and it's so delicious on it's own. I cant wait to try it on some food. Almost tastes like a super spicy BBQ sauce.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, Secret Aardvark is one of the thread darlings. I didn't think it was that hot though! Glad you're enjoying it :)

It's not that it's objectively really hot it's that I don't bother pushing the spice envelope much. My cooking tends to be spiced more than spicy (if that makes sense) as I'm not only cooking for myself and going really spicy isn't an option. So compared to what I'm used to habanero can really build up some burn.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
The best part of Secret Aardvark is that habaneros taste terrible and they made a ridiculously delicious sauce out of them.
It's my go to "gateway" sauce when people ask about peppers and hot sauces.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

mischief posted:

habaneros taste terrible

Incorrect, they taste excellent!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
The main flavor of a raw hab is aluminum. It's a hot pepper and has earned some respect but they taste like chewing on a soda can.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
What is it like being so wrong?

Though they're even better if you pickle them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mekilljoydammit posted:

Though they're even better if you pickle them.

mekilljoydammit posted:

What is it like being so wrong?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I find the floral, fruity flavor of raw habaneros to be my favorite of any chili pepper. The fact they're very spicy is just the cherry on top.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
People like the taste of habs so much they bred heatless hab varieties. Really don't get where you're coming form.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

mischief posted:

The main flavor of a raw hab is aluminum. It's a hot pepper and has earned some respect but they taste like chewing on a soda can.

This is actually insane. Habs are some of the tastiest peppers out there.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I love peppers, love hot sauce, love all of it. I just really don't think habanero is a good tasting pepper.
Scotch Bonnet, sure. Similar heat but so much more flavor. I think the best tasting pepper around at the moment is the various trinidad scorpions.

People are weird. It's okay.

(You're all still wrong though.)

mischief fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 27, 2019

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Though not that spicy, manzano's are super tasty as well.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
as far as I can tell Capsicum chinense peppers mostly all have the same fruity flavor, not that I've tried them all.

pepper chat.

Ben Nevis posted:

Though not that spicy, manzano's are super tasty as well.

those are cool because they're like the distant cousin of the chili pepper genus. they grow way down in South America, have black seeds, the leaves are covered with hair, can't be interbred with other peppers. I tried to grow one of those last year but it keeled over and died. sad day.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

My boyfriend has a membership with Public Goods so on a whim we tried out their garlic habanero hot sauce and honestly? It's good. It's not super hot but the flavor is really good and it's in the running for my favorite all-rounder hot sauce (going against Crystal and Valentina).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Speaking of which, I busted out the pickled habenero/garlic/sesame sauce I made last year today.

It went over very well.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Habanero tastes fruity to me. I wonder if it's a genetic thing, like ginger tastes like soap to me. I guess some people have issues with cilantro. Or maybe they got a trash palate :smug:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

uber_stoat posted:

those are cool because they're like the distant cousin of the chili pepper genus. they grow way down in South America, have black seeds, the leaves are covered with hair, can't be interbred with other peppers. I tried to grow one of those last year but it keeled over and died. sad day.

Capsicum Pubescens :science:

I tried growing some with the same results. I think they are better suited for really high humidity and not direct sunlight. They can apparently get up to like 12 ft tall.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

katkillad2 posted:

Habanero tastes fruity to me. I wonder if it's a genetic thing, like ginger tastes like soap to me. I guess some people have issues with cilantro. Or maybe they got a trash palate :smug:

Wasn't there a study a couple years back that established a genetic link to certain people not liking Brussels sprouts?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

mischief posted:

Culley's Roasted Carolina Reaper - Slow burn to an otherwise really flavorful sauce. Really cool to see the roasted reaper peppers, adds a little sweetness and burns off the previously mentioned hot metal nose. Will leave your lips numb for a while.

Roasting is a really great touch for sauces made with super hot peppers. I did a ghost pepper/scorpion sauce and roasted the peppers. Sweet and ridiculously hot.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
can hot sauce be yellow? and not contain vinegar?

although, this would probably be good with some white vinegar, I always end up squeezing half a lime on whatever I eat with it.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 3, 2019

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
goddrat that looks amazing

I've seen clear hot sauce in a grocery store near me. I should pick up a bottle and give it a whirl

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ogarza posted:

can hot sauce be yellow? and not contain vinegar?

although, this would probably be good with some white vinegar, I always end up squeezing half a lime on whatever I eat with it.

Do you have a recipe for this? It looks awesome.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Sure.

Ingredients:
  • ~ 1/2 cup of roasted unsalted peanuts (i like a bit more)
  • ~ 20 chiles de arbol (10 grams or .35 oz)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 2 cloves of garlic
Instructions:
  • lightly crush garlic, add to a hot pan with 2 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil.
  • when it smells garlicky, add the peanuts, stir often.
  • when the peanuts start to change color but have not darkened, add the peppers and stir for about 20 seconds. (image 2)
  • dump garlic, peanuts, peppers, and oil somewhere and add the cup of water to cool and stop the browning (image 3)
  • put all that poo poo in the blender with a teaspoon of salt (or add a bit less and then adjust for taste)
  • blend on turbo for 1 minute
Notes:
you could use salted peanuts and not add salt, or even raw peanuts and just leave them longer in the oil
in some restaurants the use vinegar as well, I normally squeeze a lime before blending, but you don't need it

It will thicken slightly when it cools, a favorite of mine on rib-eye tacos with lime, or on grilled corn on the cob

ogarza fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 3, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

pahuyuth posted:

goddrat that looks amazing

I've seen clear hot sauce in a grocery store near me. I should pick up a bottle and give it a whirl

If you do and it looks like a lava lamp, I have that same sauce. It's fun.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

ogarza posted:

Sure.

Ingredients:
  • ~ 1/2 cup of roasted unsalted peanuts (i like a bit more)
  • ~ 20 chiles de arbol (10 grams or .35 oz)
  • 1 cup of water
  • 2 cloves of garlic
Instructions:
  • lightly crush garlic, add to a hot pan with 2 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil.
  • when it smells garlicky, add the peanuts, stir often.
  • when the peanuts start to change color but have not darkened, add the peppers and stir for about 20 seconds. (image 2)
  • dump garlic, peanuts, peppers, and oil somewhere and add the cup of water to cool and stop the browning (image 3)
  • put all that poo poo in the blender with a teaspoon of salt (or add a bit less and then adjust for taste)
  • blend on turbo for 1 minute
Notes:
you could use salted peanuts and not add salt, or even raw peanuts and just leave them longer in the oil
in some restaurants the use vinegar as well, I normally squeeze a lime before blending, but you don't need it

It will thicken slightly when it cools, a favorite of mine on rib-eye tacos with lime, or on grilled corn on the cob

Yeah, stealing this, it looks amazing! Nicely done!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

ogarza posted:

rib-eye tacos

God drat it, my life just got worse never having rib-eye tacos.

Anyone have any suggestions for hot sauce to pour on top of hard boiled eggs? Specifically something thick/chunky so it's not going to get all over the place. I've been using this stuff and it's pretty great, but some variety would be nice: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VXUYP0/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

mischief
Jun 3, 2003
I think Heartbreaking Dawns 1498 is the best egg hot sauce basically in the history of ever. I don't think it would work on a whole hard boiled egg as it's a bit thin but come on....

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
I am all about Tabasco/Crystal/Texas Champagne for hard boiled eggs, but those all lean towards the watery side of things. I don't think I would prefer a thicker sauce though.

Definitely interested in hearing what suggestions come up, as hard boiled eggs are a perfect vessel for hot sauces.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Valentina is almost thick enough

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I mean, Secret Aardvark, but I just tend to think it's lovely.

Unrelated, just put 4 pounds of jalapenos into the smoker. Excited to see if this works!

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
This stuff is great on hard-boiled eggs and pretty chunky.

https://www.amazon.com/El-Yucateco-XXXtra-Kutbil-ik-Habanero/dp/B001EOMQ9E

QuarkMartial posted:

I second this just because the black label is so good and cheap.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

And a huge-rear end 34oz bottle of the black label costs like $5. Valentina's the best hot sauce :colbert:

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Agreed on the Valentina for boiled eggs.

There are a bunch of folks at work that like hot sauce, so I think I want to put an order together and split the shipping, but I have a few questions,

For online ordering, hotsauce.com or heatonist?

I want to try some new sauces, so I'm looking for recommendations. I know the secret aardvark one is a favorite of the thread, but any other "standards" that are recommended that one can't get in the store? I want something with good flavor, not just crazy heat or gimmick. Here's what I have right now:

Valentina
Melinda's (will finish this bottle and be done after reading about the recipe theft)
Sriracha (for pizza crust)
Sambal Oolek
Crystal
Louisiana
La Yucateca
Cholula Green and Red
Tapatio

I could use a little guidance. I know the Hot Ones sauce gets good reviews on the show, but is there a certain one?

I'll go back over the thread a bit, but would love to know current favorites that can't be bought in the grocery stores. Range of heat is fine from milder on up to about Ghost, but that's pretty much where I stop.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Heatonist forgot to send me my Last Dab Redux pre-order, never refunded me, and the replacement they say they sent when I bugged customer service over and over never arrived. That might not be everyone's experience, but I'm soured on them as a company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Planet X posted:

I want to try some new sauces, so I'm looking for recommendations. I know the secret aardvark one is a favorite of the thread, but any other "standards" that are recommended that one can't get in the store? I want something with good flavor, not just crazy heat or gimmick. Here's what I have right now:

here's a few suggestions.

this is the one run by the lady who had her recipes stolen if you haven't tried it yet. I've heard people speak highly of the Belizean Heat one but the added capsaicin extract in it is makes it taste bad to me. the Beware one has it too but I haven't tried it. thumbs up for the others ones.

these are all pretty good.

for Caribbean style, Matouk's

this one is made with tamarind which is kind of unique. not too hot, tastes great.