Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd say the show loved to get really weird about Troi's vagina but then again I think the candle gently caress ghost episode was Crusher?

When it comes to it TNG is really loving poo poo about women. Of course there are worse shows for being sexist but TNG is definitely all in with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"What if a character got impregnated by an alien who didn't realize it was such a big deal" seems like a decent enough sci-fi plot, but somehow it never really works.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Lemming posted:

”What if a character got impregnated by an alien who didn't realize it was such a big deal" seems like a decent enough sci-fi plot, but somehow it never really works.

Let me tell you about a little comic called Avengers #200...

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'd say the show loved to get really weird about Troi's vagina but then again I think the candle gently caress ghost episode was Crusher?

Crusher gets treated a bit better most of the time. Apart from the candle gently caress ghost episode obviously.

Troi was always in dubious situations, being mind raped, impregnated against her will, stripped naked by ferengi. The only Troi episode that isn't about that sort of thing or her mother is the Romulan one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

marktheando posted:

Crusher gets treated a bit better most of the time. Apart from the candle gently caress ghost episode obviously.

Troi was always in dubious situations, being mind raped, impregnated against her will, stripped naked by ferengi. The only Troi episode that isn't about that sort of thing or her mother is the Romulan one.

What about the one with the ghost making people kill themselves and she thinks Worf is cheating on her and laughing about it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I think it’s more that Crusher gets less to do than Troi so they don’t have as much time to do dumb poo poo with her. Like, how many Crusher episodes can you think of that aren’t rape ghost or the one where everyone else disappears?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

marktheando posted:

I mean, Troi's bodily autonomy is absolutely violated as she's kidnapped and surgically altered against her will.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Troi should have been the emotional denouement for each character that went through a situation in the episode. Do all the bravado and important decision making up front, then the last fifteen minutes is LaForge sobbing with his VISOR off, saying "I mean I thought I was gonna die when that microfracture formed in the antimatter chamber's deuterium casing, and all I could think was how I've never made love!"

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I mean, Troi's bodily autonomy is absolutely violated as she's kidnapped and surgically altered against her will.

True. Still the least creepy Troi episode.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

skasion posted:

I think it’s more that Crusher gets less to do than Troi so they don’t have as much time to do dumb poo poo with her. Like, how many Crusher episodes can you think of that aren’t rape ghost or the one where everyone else disappears?

The terrorists with alternate transporter rec that's dangerous, and the one where she autopsies a ferengi

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least eventually things were made a little bit even when Trip got pregnant.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The main thing I remember from that episode is one scene where Trip's in engineering, and he starts demanding they do something about the elevator there, because if you put your hand in the wrong place when it's moving, it'll crush it.

This is played for laughs, because LOL PREGNANCY HORMONES MAKE YOU GO CRAZY!

And I assume once he's back to normal, they never do anything about the elevator or any of the other safety issues he points out.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I mainly remember the whole bridge crew openly laughing in Trip's face for being impregnated without his knowledge or consent.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

We're rewatching TNG, and just hit the episode where they rescue a bunch of cryogenically frozen old men from the present. At one point one of them makes a comment about Crusher and smacks her rear end on his way out, and her reaction is so much more :smith: when you know she was probably dealing with that off-set, too

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

marktheando posted:

I mainly remember the whole bridge crew openly laughing in Trip's face for being impregnated without his knowledge or consent.

Peak Rick Berman.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Snow Cone Capone posted:

We're rewatching TNG, and just hit the episode where they rescue a bunch of cryogenically frozen old men from the present. At one point one of them makes a comment about Crusher and smacks her rear end on his way out, and her reaction is so much more :smith: when you know she was probably dealing with that off-set, too

gently caress

previous comment applies

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The terrorists with alternate transporter rec that's dangerous, and the one where she autopsies a ferengi

Autopsies a Ferengi, pilots an experimental shuttle in to a star's corona, and then stone-cold shoots an alien murderer several times because of her unwavering surgical precision :black101:

Also gets cleared for violating medical ethics because she solved said murder despite leaving no evidence.

EDIT: Also there's that time in "Conspiracy" where she tells Picard that he must set his phaser on kill as stun has no effect on the alien parasite hosts, and he's just like "One does not beam down to Starfleet Headquarters armed" :stare:. Dr. Crusher just wants to practice medicine and blast fools all day.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 25, 2019

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Crusher's grandma: "I was just reading a particularly emo chapter in my granddaughter's Livejournal…"

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Participates in the failed raid to find biological weapons that ends up getting Picard captured, mentors the human who was born to Q parents, falls in love with a Trill.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Huh. I always thought of her as Space Mom but she does kick a lot of asses.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I'm surprised there wasn't at least one episode where they brought back Dr.Pulaski after her Season 2 stint.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pixeltendo posted:

I'm surprised there wasn't at least one episode where they brought back Dr.Pulaski after her Season 2 stint.

It really felt like the episode where Worf breaks his back, they could have made that doctor Pulaski instead of a new character.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Pixeltendo posted:

I don’t think Diana Muldaur and the cast got along

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Epicurius posted:

Participates in the failed raid to find biological weapons that ends up getting Picard captured, mentors the human who was born to Q parents, falls in love with a Trill.

Has to take command of the Enterprise when the entire main cast is captured by Lore; kicks Borg rear end with the help of the night shift.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yeah, that's when she uses the 'fly a shuttle into the sun's corona' tech from her previous episode to fly the entire Enterprise into the sun. Later Trio tries to one up her by flying half the Enterprise into a planet.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
All the best Crusher bits have her being a space detective

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

cheetah7071 posted:

All the best Crusher bits have her being a space detective

Crusher should have been Chief Engineer and Geordi should have been CMO

Crusher gets to actually do stuff and Geordi gets to be goofy and jovial instead of constantly stressed. There, I just fixed both characters.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Sir Lemming posted:

"What if a character got impregnated by an alien who didn't realize it was such a big deal" seems like a decent enough sci-fi plot, but somehow it never really works.

I thought it worked okay for Alien.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Taear posted:

I've just re-watched The Child. It's a script recycled from The Original Series - they were going to bring the show back and that script was written for it, they used it because there was a writer's strike.
It just kinda...goes nowhere. The Child turns up, emits a weird radiation and just leaves with no proper reason. What in theory is the main story just completely ends and nothing is changed because of it. Such a strange episode, even worse to me than Code of Honour or Justice because at least they've got a point and use that point.

It has that loving weird scene where Troi reveals her magic space pregnancy to the crew and it's presented in the coldest, most unemotional way imaginable, as if they're discussing loving warp nacelles or something.

I always laugh at Riker virtually yelling in her face "BUT WHO'S THE FATHER??" And then later you hear Worf chipping in with "Obviously, the pregnancy MUST be terminated!" It's just unbelievable, the whole episode really.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Troi is high up there on worst-written characters in any show ever and possibly #1 for women characters. Galaxy Quest, which is mostly a takedown of TOS, devotes space to make fun of how terrible Troi and Wesley are.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Crusher should have been Chief Engineer and Geordi should have been CMO

Crusher gets to actually do stuff and Geordi gets to be goofy and jovial instead of constantly stressed. There, I just fixed both characters.

That would honestly have worked perfectly. From a casting perspective though I assume it couldn't have since Geordi didn't start off as chief engineer so it couldn't have been a simple swap.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

That would honestly have worked perfectly. From a casting perspective though I assume it couldn't have since Geordi didn't start off as chief engineer so it couldn't have been a simple swap.

"Get this...he's the Helmsman...and he's BLIND!! " :boom:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

Troi should have been the emotional denouement for each character that went through a situation in the episode. Do all the bravado and important decision making up front, then the last fifteen minutes is LaForge sobbing with his VISOR off, saying "I mean I thought I was gonna die when that microfracture formed in the antimatter chamber's deuterium casing, and all I could think was how I've never made love!"

The episode where Geordi was brainwashed by the Romulans had her helping him remember it at the end and it was one of the better actual uses of Troi.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

The episode where Geordi was brainwashed by the Romulans had her helping him remember it at the end and it was one of the better actual uses of Troi.

THERE... ARE... FOUR... ROMULAN CONSPIRATORS!!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just finished the Enterprise episode Chosen Realm, fantastic ending. Archer is stone cold.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

:swoon:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I don't hate it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Tonight's episode of the Next Generation is Remember Me, this episode is about how Dr. Beverely Crusher is the sole survivor of the U.S.S. Enterprise after Thanos snaps his fingers with the infinity gauntlet.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

That’s not a terrible thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I like it but Kirk should have a special one that's a greener shade, with a wraparound construction and a sideways insignia.