Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I'm only halfway through the Finland game but Canada looks really bad so far this tournament. They'll probably win this game but being 3-2 and still having to play Sweden, Russia, Switzerland, Scotland, the US, and China is really bad.

Maybe it's just the braid, but Finland's skip looks a lot like Elsa from Frozen. Haven't heard her break into song yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Poor Denmark. Shes' getting crushed all week against everybody in front of the home crowd, finally gets an "easy" opponent in Latvia, and they're nailing everything and she's getting crushed again.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Carey is just not cutting it

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

she was up by 2 against the US, then gave up 5, then steals of 1 and 4.

what the hell is going on.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Goddamn it Homan why did you have to choke so hard against Carey?

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Can't wait to get home from work and watch Carey get wrecked.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Really nice of Chelsea Carey to let some of the other countries into the playoffs. First time since 1999 that Canada hasn't made the playoffs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chicken posted:

Really nice of Chelsea Carey to let some of the other countries into the playoffs. First time since 1999 that Canada hasn't made the playoffs.

Sorry. You're welcome.

The Korean team is pretty amazing for being a junior team, i can see them sticking around for a long time, which is bad because i giggle when they say her name, because it sounds like "mingey kim".

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

My wife has seen the Korean team practice at her rink in Calgary a couple times. She says they're scary good.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

So I was out on an island without internet or TV this weekend and I'm just sitting down to watch the playoffs. Did Vic, Russ, and Cheryl clear out as soon as Canada was eliminated? Because they're just using the world commentators and it's not quite the same.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chicken posted:

So I was out on an island without internet or TV this weekend and I'm just sitting down to watch the playoffs. Did Vic, Russ, and Cheryl clear out as soon as Canada was eliminated? Because they're just using the world commentators and it's not quite the same.

No, they still commentated the medal rounds on TSN.

The gold medal game was loving intense, and i feel so bad for Hasselborg, but she's still got probably 20 more shots at it. She held it together pretty well on the podium, but you could see how disappointed she was.

You can't win em all, as much as she would like to.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Welp Shuster lost to the Netherlands, and Koe now in an extra end against Korea.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Besides BJ Neufeld (who's amazing) Koe looks only okay so far. Fortunately for him, the only team that looks really good is Sweden. The Swiss and Americans are looking a bit off their game, Japan is beatable, and the Scots are having a tough week.

The Dutch have looked really improved since last year. The shot to beat Scotland was insane and I just really like their style of game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Turned on the stream for the USA v Canada match just in time to hear Neufeld drop an f-bomb, I will never get tired of curlers being miced up at all times.

EDIT: Good God Koe's shot to seal it for Canada...

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 4, 2019

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Oh man you weren't kidding about that shot. Amazing!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

More like Kevin Poe

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Sweden is just so good. Sooooo good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chicken posted:

Sweden is just so good. Sooooo good.

Gotta be all the hormones in the meatballs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Botcher gets his revenge.

Koe missed 3 shots, 2 of them being his last 2 of the last end. Botcher missed zero, and went 100% in that game.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
It's curling time again! So here's a question that I've been waiting to ask since basically last spring. Shouldn't the thread title be "Let he who is without hammer cast the first rock"?

Anyways, my season actually started last week. It's my first year playing in an actual league, I started with a beginner/tutorial league last year. The team is full of relative newbies including a girl who had literally never thrown a stone before, but we did pretty well and actually won something like 9-4. Getting back to it tonight for game 2!

Here's a picture I took, this thread needs more pictures.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My season doesn't start until next month but the league somehow managed to get the season longer and cheaper this year, so :krad:

Also I remain deeply jealous of you people with dedicated indoor spaces.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
What kind of facility to you curl in?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

What kind of facility to you curl in?

An outdoor hockey rink in a city park :v:

I mean, I'm still total garbage at actually delivering stones so I don't think it makes a huge difference but even just being able to easily see the house would rule.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

An outdoor hockey rink in a city park :v:

I mean, I'm still total garbage at actually delivering stones so I don't think it makes a huge difference but even just being able to easily see the house would rule.

On the plus side, it should give you good experience in reading the ice in bad conditions.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Curling outside actually sounds really cool to me. Unless it's raining. Or snowing hard. Or super cold. Or the ice is bad. Maybe I just want to watch outdoor curling on TV like I do with the special NHL games.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Curling outside actually sounds really cool to me. Unless it's raining. Or snowing hard. Or super cold. Or the ice is bad. Maybe I just want to watch outdoor curling on TV like I do with the special NHL games.

The biggest issue with being outdoors is when the humidity picks up and the whole sheet is covered with frost and you have to practically throw the stone to get it past the midpoint.

Aside from that the problem is just that we're sharing the space and the parks department doesn't really care that much about us, but you can also barely make out the hockey lines a lot of the time so they clearly don't actually care that much about that league either.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Anyways, my season actually started last week. It's my first year playing in an actual league, I started with a beginner/tutorial league last year. The team is full of relative newbies including a girl who had literally never thrown a stone before, but we did pretty well and actually won something like 9-4. Getting back to it tonight for game 2!

Here's a picture I took, this thread needs more pictures.

It looks like the sheet isn't wide enough. Like a rock could be on the tee line, touching the rings, and in the next sheet simultaneously. Could be perspective I guess!

And beginning curlers can be really good! My mixed team is roughly in the middle of our league and last year we were two points off of beating the best team and we needed my last rock to barely beat the team who hadn't won a game all year.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

It's curling time again! So here's a question that I've been waiting to ask since basically last spring. Shouldn't the thread title be "Let he who is without hammer cast the first rock"?

Agreed. Someone PM our mod please.

I started curling in my men's league in September, been busy af though so I haven't posted about it. Doing better this year, shoulder's still hosed but I'm making my way through.

Someone want to aggregate the curling tourney dates and I will update the op?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Chicken posted:

It looks like the sheet isn't wide enough. Like a rock could be on the tee line, touching the rings, and in the next sheet simultaneously. Could be perspective I guess!

Nah you are right. In order to fit all 6 sheets, my club has a house rule where the rock has to be more than halfway over the line before its considered out of play. So a rock biting the 12-foot right at the tee line would be a few inches into the other sheet. It honestly rarely causes a problem.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Slung Blade posted:

Someone want to aggregate the curling tourney dates and I will update the op?

National/International
World men's is March 28 to April 5 in Glasgow.
World women's is March 14-22 in Prince George BC.
World mixed doubles is April 18-25 in Kelowna BC.
Brier is February 29 to March 8 in Kingston ON.
Scotties is February 15-23 in Moose Jaw SK.
US men's and women's is February 8-15 in Spokane.

Grand Slam of Curling:
October 22-27 in North Bay ON
November 5-10 in Pictou NS
December 10-15 in Conception Bay NL
January 14-19 in Yorkton SK
April 7-12 in Toronto ON
April 29 - May 3 in Olds AB

I'm on vacation with just the phone right now or I'd add some links and pictures and stuff.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There's also:

Canada Cup in Leduc Nov 27-01(hour away, gonna try to go)
Continental cup in London, On Jan 9-12
Canadian Juniors Jan 25-26

Definitely going to the GSC season closer in Olds, too, Even though Homan and Gushue will have the titles locked up by then anyways.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Watching live curling is great. You can usually get a day pass (3 games) for fairly cheap during the week. I think it was $60 for World Men's in Victoria a few years back. Might be more in the Prairies and less everywhere else. Also went to a Grand Slam a few years ago and sat in the bar area at the end of the sheets which was awesome. My buddy said "Nice shot!" and Brad Gushue turned around and said "Hell yeah it was!". Crazy to see some of those shots close up.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Thanks for doing the research for me guys, OP updated.

Played tonight, won 10-6, but it was hard work, I swept the ice flat.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Finally some curling on TV to watch! I read a book on curling strategy over the summer and it's really making watching it better. I have such a better idea why they're calling the shots that they do now.

Chicken posted:

Watching live curling is great.

I'm a little pissed cause I live in London, but the week of the Continental Cup is the one week I'm out of town.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Finally some curling on TV to watch! I read a book on curling strategy over the summer and it's really making watching it better. I have such a better idea why they're calling the shots that they do now.

I'm a little pissed cause I live in London, but the week of the Continental Cup is the one week I'm out of town.

Bad Luck.

i love the continental cup because it's so chill for a week, and then it gets to the last day and it's world war 3

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

What's the book?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Does this stupid commercial make anybody else irrationally angry?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Inspector_666 posted:

What's the book?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tirnizoni throws fire the whole week, and then Einarsson throws a 100% game and boom. Done.

Curling is so loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Yeah this game is bonkers. She starts with the hammer, and then doesn't get on the board until she gets forced to 1 in the 4th end. Fuckin ouch.

Edit: wow, she made it a closer game than I would have thought.

FrenzyTheKillbot fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 9, 2019