Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

That reminds me how does the lightning reversal thing it wanted you to use in the third Genishiro phase actually work? It was just 'hit R1 in the air' but was that it? I was too busy dodging to try it

You just automatically do a similar attack to what he pulls out, stuns him for a few seconds so you can get some hits in on his vitality and does about half his bar in posture damage. It kinda decides the fight if you manage to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Frog Act posted:

So I've just gotten to the castle and I have 8 skill points to spend. I haven't gotten anything from the sword skills book from the Samurai [spoiler] and I've mostly stopped in the other trees after getting basic stuff and the deathblow health. Right now, skill wise, I have:

[spoiler]Whirlwind/Nightjar Slash
Grappling Hook Attack
Mikiri Counter
Mid-Air Prosthetic
Chasing Slice
Fang and Blade

is there anything really obvious I need to get? I also haven't upgraded any of my prosthetics yet, not sure what order to do them in, but I guess I'll basically need to do them all eventually? And I assume Ichimonji Slash and stuff in the sword tree is worth getting?

tia for any assistance

The skill that heals you ten percent on death blow is really fun. It’s on the shinobi skill tree. The samurai tree has good skills (the carp skills) that increases poise damage on and after a successful deflect.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CJacobs posted:

You have to jump at the enemy and hit jump again when you collide in the air, it'll make Sekiro do the "pop up in the air" double jump move and then you can do the takedown.

You don’t have to face kick the enemy. It might make it a bit easier with certain enemies but you just have to jump while right next to the enemy and the red dot will appear. I think being a bit below the enemy might help?

Sakurazuka posted:

That reminds me how does the lightning reversal thing it wanted you to use in the third Genishiro phase actually work? It was just 'hit R1 in the air' but was that it? I was too busy dodging to try it

Yes, I did it on my successful attempt when both he and I were close to death. It was insanely awesome and I was freaking out when I finished him off.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Sakurazuka posted:

You need to be in the air when it hits you, and then you press R1 and do a big fuckoff lightning slash.

Regy Rusty posted:

I could never figure it out. Has anyone recorded a video of that fight where they used it? I really wanna see
Here. Not mine, lightning slash at 4:05.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RN_iHoQ742s

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JBP posted:

On the topic of xp and skill points I've got to say that I've not once regretted investing in nearly all the temple arts. When you kick some loving moron out of the sky and then give them the old m m m monster combo it's amazing. It's also excellent against non monster bosses because your clean hits do enormous amounts of posture damage.

I wish I loved the skill more, but it's so situational. Or maybe I'm just using it wrong? :shrug:

Prayer Strike: Exorcism is 100% my jam though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Augus posted:

You don’t have to face kick the enemy. It might make it a bit easier with certain enemies but you just have to jump while right next to the enemy and the red dot will appear. I think being a bit below the enemy might help?

can you use it against the shichimen warrior? because just like the umbrella, i picked it up with the intention of using it to chump him, and then he died before i needed to

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cowcaster posted:

can you use it against the shichimen warrior? because just like the umbrella, i picked it up with the intention of using it to chump him, and then he died before i needed to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzxkZHbOL4g

Here's a video of exactly what you were trying to do, I dunno how this dude did it but boy did he make it look easy!

edit: Also it seems I was wrong and you don't NEED to do the mid-air kick to get it, but it does help to get it reliably from my experience.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

You just attack after it hits you mid-air and you send out a thundershock that stuns him for a while. It's really good.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cowcaster posted:

Yep

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CJacobs posted:

Here's a video of exactly what you were trying to do, I dunno how this dude did it but boy did he make it look easy!

edit: Also it seems I was wrong and you don't NEED to do the mid-air kick to get it, but it does help to get it reliably from my experience.

hahaha outstanding

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

When people say “first/second/third Genishiro, are you referring to the first second and third deathblows necessary, or does he have a third phase (four+ necessary death blows total) that I havn’t seen yet? I’m asking because I don’t think I’ve ever been hurt by his lightning after he takes off his armor, and I’m wondering if he uses it more in a later phase.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Kingfish posted:

When people say “first/second/third Genishiro, are you referring to the first second and third deathblows necessary, or does he have a third phase (four+ necessary death blows total) that I havn’t seen yet? I’m asking because I don’t think I’ve ever been hurt by his lightning after he takes of his armor, and I’m wondering if he uses it more in a later phase.
First is at the beginning of the game, second is standard fight, third is FIST OF THE HEAVENS mode. At least that's how I read it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

OHHH that makes more sense. Havn’t made it to 3G then.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are there any skills or upgrades you don't recommend getting, things that feel like kind of a waste of skill points? I've seen a lot of stuff that people do recommend but I'm curious if there are any skills that are less useful than they sound.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if the first stealth boosting passive had any effect on my overall stealth detection rate, it's unnoticeable. but, i think it's only 1 point to pick up, so not a lot of savings there.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT35HWy_qvQ

The note on money balloons (tip #2) is insane and everyone should know it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Harrow posted:

Are there any skills or upgrades you don't recommend getting, things that feel like kind of a waste of skill points? I've seen a lot of stuff that people do recommend but I'm curious if there are any skills that are less useful than they sound.
That Shadow Rush power you get at the end of the Shinobi tree seems supremely useless. The range is miniscule and it costs spirit emblems to boot. It seems to guarantee a deathblow, but only on poo poo that's weak enough not be worth wasting the emblems on. If you want a mobility attack, Nightjar Slash is better.

I also don't particularly recommend investing in the Nightjar Reverse. It doesn't seem worth it to me over just, you know, dodging away. That one is just me, though, it's up to how effectively you can use it, though. Some people really like it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT35HWy_qvQ

The note on money balloons (tip #2) is insane and everyone should know it.

I'm at work, can you describe? is it just 'use money balloons'? because yeah those things are crazy good just like every other item in the game

Cardiovorax posted:

I also don't particularly recommend investing in the Nightjar Reverse. It doesn't seem worth it to me over just, you know, dodging away. That one is just me, though, it's up to how effectively you can use it, though. Some people really like it.

You need the nightjar reverse to get the elemental sword ability though, don't you?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Here. Not mine, lightning slash at 4:05.

Thank you very much! drat thats cool

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Walrus posted:

I'm at work, can you describe? is it just 'use money balloons'? because yeah those things are crazy good just like every other item in the game

the money buff applies when you vaccuum up the gold, not when you kill the enemy, so you can clear an entire map of enemies, pop the money balloon, and then run through the entire world and hoover up the bonus gold while the bonus is on.

note that this doesn't work with the item drop balloon since that's determined on enemy death.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Walrus posted:

You need the nightjar reverse to get the elemental sword ability though, don't you?
Yeah, it seems that way. If you don't plan to use that, though, then I think you're better off saving the points.

Regy Rusty posted:

Thank you very much! drat thats cool
No prob.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
O'Rin and her lute
Spinning and dancing with sword
Footprint on her face

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Just a little bit of time of ringing the demon bell while I was exploring for side areas made upgrading the first few tiers of prosthetic attachments very easy. Definitely recommended to ring that bad boy when you're not trying to fight a boss.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Cardiovorax posted:

CharlestonJew said it works differently when you don't resurrect at all and takes 14-15 respawns, so now I'm confused and don't entirely know what to think.

it's entirely possible that dragonrot is mandated after you reach a certain part in the story? I only had about 4-5 "true" deaths in my 2nd playthrough before I got dragonrot, but maybe once you reach past a certain point any death triggers it if you don't already have it yet

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

comingafteryouall posted:

Just a little bit of time of ringing the demon bell while I was exploring for side areas made upgrading the first few tiers of prosthetic attachments very easy. Definitely recommended to ring that bad boy when you're not trying to fight a boss.

has anyone made a detailed breakdown of what the bell changes yet

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlestonJew posted:

it's entirely possible that dragonrot is mandated after you reach a certain part in the story? I only had about 4-5 "true" deaths in my 2nd playthrough before I got dragonrot, but maybe once you reach past a certain point any death triggers it if you don't already have it yet

I think it’s this. The first dragonrot might be scripted to trigger more quickly after a certain point since it’s a plot point and the game wants you to learn about it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That point must be incredibly late then because again, I played through the whole first half of the game without a 'real' death and it still took the same number to trigger for the first time. I promise you are all overcomplicating it for no reason.

edit: Emma even has a specific Talk prompt dialogue that I got on my stream wherein she describes what the Dragonrot is because you haven't gotten it yet if you manage to get far enough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

I started a new playthrough yesterday to do things "properly" (it's just something I do with games like this) and made it up to Lady Butterfly and to the castle gate stairs again without needing more than a two or three resurrections total, no full respawns yet. If it's progress-mandated, it would be coming very late, so I assume that this isn't a thing. Gonna kill myself later just to test, but I do not believe that this actually how it works.

If it does, though, it would explain why nobody can really give any consistent reports on it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dragonthot

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that's no way to talk about Priscilla

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Is this thing in the first early areas and I missed it somehow or is it post-Castle?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ixjuvin posted:

Is this thing in the first early areas and I missed it somehow or is it post-Castle?

you missed it

its in a cave behind the first headless just after ogre

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Gonna go grab it because I have only one upgrade and I cant seem to find more

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My anecdotal evidence about dragonrot is that theres a counter that increases every time you die and when it hits a certain number it activates dragonrot. Its maybe 10 deaths? Killing a boss seems to reset the counter.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Wait are you saying you can ring it then turn it off again, over and over? I thought it was a one time thing.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Elman posted:

Wait are you saying you can ring it then turn it off again, over and over? I thought it was a one time thing.

nope, it's at will. it puts an item in your inventory that you can use to turn it off at any time too, so no need to backtrack to the bell except to turn it back on.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

you missed it

its in a cave behind the first headless just after ogre

Oh ok, I just found that guy last night while re-exploring old areas. Do I have to actually kill that thing (it turbo-murdered me and I have no idea how to deal with it) or is the bell just nearby? I'm usually super thorough in these games but the addition of verticality has really hosed my usual exploration methods, I missed all sorts of things just in the first couple areas.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I feel like I have missed so much stuff. I'm like 30 hours in and still haven't encountered half the stuff you guys are talking about.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Can someone remind me where the dude who wants info on the samurai is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ending choice question i beat owl, im trying to eavesdrop on emma and ishin for the purification ending, but shes not with him. shes with kuro, am i hosed?