Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Inferno had that great surreal underwater scene too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Man he loving crushed that role. He's one of the main reasons its my favorite Romero flick

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blast Fantasto posted:

I'm not sure how you can watch Dragged Across Concrete and think it's meant to justify the behavior of Gibson's character.

he is literally done in by his inability to trust a black person

Because the white police chief who has to lay them off doesn't give a poo poo about what they did and commends them basically for the bust; they also inject "Taking a minority off the streets who sells drugs to school children, and I get laid off for doing my job a little rough" or whatever. You're also meant to feel bad for Gibson since his character's wife has MS and his little girls gets picked on by black kids on the way home from school, all because they live in a poor area of town that's getting worse thanks to minorities.

There's plenty of other stuff in the film you can pick apart but it has no issues with the actions of the characters and makes them look like the victims.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I wish I could pretend I didn’t like the new Critters show, that I was too good for it. But I can’t and I’m not.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I wish I liked new Critters, but no. Perhaps the failing is mine.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Origami Dali posted:

I wish I liked new Critters, but no. Perhaps the failing is mine.

I posted my gripes about it earlier in the thread. Considering how short it essentially is, the next season'll decide if I bother with the rest of the series.

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
edit: wrong thread

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

Dr.Caligari posted:

Inferno had that great surreal underwater scene too.

Inferno has a lot of great surreal scenes. Can't ever forget about the hot dog vendor and the bag of cats. I liked it more than Suspiria because I'm a lunatic, but it seems closer to the stuff by Fulci (City of the Living Dead & The Beyond) that I really love.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Inferno is bad for reasons that are endemic to Italian horror, and it's easy to see how someone immersed in the subgenre could forgive them.

Mother of Tears on the other hand is just incredibly dull and I have no idea what anyone sees in it.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

s.i.r.e. posted:

but it has no issues with the actions of the characters and makes them look like the victims.

Because they think they are. I think years of Hollywood and now comedy being so declarative as hosed with viewers brains. This also effects Herditary where the mom is an abusive poo poo and her kids hate for good reason even if she's mentally ill and people take her because of the polite liberal sexism her husband subjects her too by being unwilling to actually confront her or console her. Don Johnson even tells Gibson he's turning into a killing machine who's just going to lash out at people.

This isn't a spoiler or up for debate: the film goes in great length to show the bust was hosed up and the abuse the police regularly subject people too. The last segment of it is them disarming a somewhat innocent naked women, drenching her and then cooling the air down and subjecting to racist abuse. They never go to the extremes police often do, sure, and though we're not supposed to be as sympathetic to them as the main character, there needs to be some emotional connection and resonance.

EDIT: People here are forgetting feeling bad does not equate either endorsement or sympathy. I have no idea how you watch the last act of that film and think 'these dudes rock'

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 26, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Watch Zahler's other films, his "white people killing minorities/natives" thing is pretty clear cut at this point. Also, I'm not sure how your theater reacted by my theater had tons of people laughing and applauding Gibson and Vaughn throughout the whole film, it was a little disturbing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I finally got around to watching a few movies I've been putting off.

You're So Cool, Brewster! The Story of FRIGHT NIGHT is one of the better cult movie docs. All of the stories are great. It gives every single actor who's on screen (except for Charlie's mom, wherever that actress is) a chance to tell their own story. Tom Holland sounds like a fun and enthusiastic director. The Roddy McDowell stories make him sound like a huge sweetheart. And the special effects segment, which makes up a large chunk, is some of the best behind-the-scenes effects I've watched. I fully believe Evil Ed's transformations are the best, and I'd put his wolf transformation as my favorite in all of horror films (yes, even more than American Werewolf and In The Company of Wolves).

Us was excellent. I think spotting the C.H.U.D. and The Goonies VHS's at the opening really set my expectations. I found the dream logic reminiscent of classic Italian horror flicks like Demons and Suspiria and also Kubrick's The Shining, where it's more disorienting rather than problematic. I like it more than Get Out.

Pulse was low-key creepy throughout! Genuinely creepy film about the internet that, despite being released in 2001, feels weirdly relevant. Not my favorite Japanese horror, cuz it's slow pace makes my eyes heavy, but I'm more than willing to rewatch it with a cup of coffee.

Horror Noire was absolutely excellent. I was familiar with most of the movies discussed (Abby, Eve's Bayou, Def By Temptation were new to me!), but they got bumped up on my To Watch list. I loved hearing the directors tell stories of growing up with horror and their struggles with getting the stories told their way. I like the discussion of the duality of black roles throughout film history, with even strong roles being ultimately problematic. And ending on an optimistic note felt good.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I finally got around to watching a few movies I've been putting off.
Pulse was low-key creepy throughout! Genuinely creepy film about the internet that, despite being released in 2001, feels weirdly relevant. Not my favorite Japanese horror, cuz it's slow pace makes my eyes heavy, but I'm more than willing to rewatch it with a cup of coffee.

Pulse is great. its a real anxious, unsettling movie. the sleepy dull dread makes it my favourite late night horror film i reckon

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Pulse is one of the masterpieces of dread horror

So many films rely on jump scares and sudden shocking images and Pulse is one of the few films that shows you the monster across the room walking slowly and it stays scary the whole time

I remember recommending Pulse to a friend once and they came back having watched the American version by accident :negative:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Horror Noire was absolutely excellent. I was familiar with most of the movies discussed (Abby, Eve's Bayou, Def By Temptation were new to me!), but they got bumped up on my To Watch list. I loved hearing the directors tell stories of growing up with horror and their struggles with getting the stories told their way. I like the discussion of the duality of black roles throughout film history, with even strong roles being ultimately problematic. And ending on an optimistic note felt good.

The biggest twist for me in this doc was finding out that the girl from The Craft has a Long Island accent that’s so debilitating that she can’t even pronounce the word “horror.”

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

speaking of The Craft, Jason Blum is once again personally and maliciously trying to ruin my life by remaking one of my favorite movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

NutritiousSnack posted:

Because they think they are. I think years of Hollywood and now comedy being so declarative as hosed with viewers brains. This also effects Herditary where the mom is an abusive poo poo and her kids hate for good reason even if she's mentally ill and people take her because of the polite liberal sexism her husband subjects her too by being unwilling to actually confront her or console her. Don Johnson even tells Gibson he's turning into a killing machine who's just going to lash out at people.

That's immediately after he gives a whole speech bemoaning political correctness and then the concern for Gibson is more like "you're letting the job get to you, I'm worried about you" rather than any real concern for the community.

NutritiousSnack posted:

This isn't a spoiler or up for debate: the film goes in great length to show the bust was hosed up and the abuse the police regularly subject people too. The last segment of it is them disarming a somewhat innocent naked women, drenching her and then cooling the air down and subjecting to racist abuse. They never go to the extremes police often do, sure, and though we're not supposed to be as sympathetic to them as the main character, there needs to be some emotional connection and resonance.

The scene is then undercut by multiple screeds delivered by Gibson about how what they did was ok beacuse they needed to prevent drugs from "entering the school system". Meanwhile his kid is being assaulted by "blacks" which is why he needs to make more money to move out of the neighborhood.

NutritiousSnack posted:

EDIT: People here are forgetting feeling bad does not equate either endorsement or sympathy. I have no idea how you watch the last act of that film and think 'these dudes rock'

Plenty of films give evil characters moments of humanization. This isn't that. Gibson and Vaughn are consistently portrayed as good men who have been driven by the destructive minorities to do unjustifiable things, and so you're supposed to feel sad that these good men have had to go to these lengths just be able to provide for their families. The film doesn't have to be saying "these dudes rock" for it to be an offensive presentation. They're presented as tragic anti-heroes.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pulse is one of the masterpieces of dread horror

So many films rely on jump scares and sudden shocking images and Pulse is one of the few films that shows you the monster across the room walking slowly and it stays scary the whole time

I remember recommending Pulse to a friend once and they came back having watched the American version by accident :negative:

I was most impressed with the slow walking lady ghost that breaks her stride halfway through before regaining her composure. It's one of the most effective scares that involve a character hiding low, not seeing feet, and the audience knowing the scary thing is above them.

I also loved the trash-bag-head slowly rolling around the room in the chair, in and out of frame or shadows.

That movie is a strong example of simple disorienting suspense that really incorporates camera play and subtle editing.

The sound design is interesting. They cut off musical cues before you're expecting them, and it's subconsciously off-putting. Our brains like musical resolutions, we like songs to have a definite 'ending', that's why songs that fade-out tend to get stuck in our head more (the ear-worm phenomenon). So for a song to cut off before the listener thinks it's ending sends a weird red flag to our brains that something isn't right. It's another neat audience-manipulation tool, more noticeable and jarring than low-frequency sounds like Noé uses in his film.

Drunkboxer posted:

The biggest twist for me in this doc was finding out that the girl from The Craft has a Long Island accent that’s so debilitating that she can’t even pronounce the word “horror.”

"It's pronounced like 'Torah', right? 'Horra'... 'Horrer, Horra!'"*

She was a great interview, I liked it a lot.

My favorite part was the scholar debunking the "black character dies first" non-trope, and elaborating with the actual problematic tropes being incorporated.

*I should note that I don't have a strong accent, but I have a hard time saying "horror". I have to enunciate to say 'hor-or', otherwise it sounds like "whore". I've gotten better about it over the years, but there are plenty of people that think my favorite films are "whore movies"

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 26, 2019

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I pronounce it "hryllingur" or "hrollvekja" if I'm feeling fancy

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The best part of working from home is having movies on one monitor while I work:

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage was excellent, even though you can tell it was one of Argento's earlier works. The technicality of the film isn't quite where his later movies are, but the storytelling is excellent and captivating. This was my first "actual" giallo film (Suspiria doesn't quite count, IMO) and I loved it. Managed to stay engaging and intriguing the whole way through.

Deep Red was slightly the opposite. Technically it was great - beautiful bright colors that have really become the hallmark of the style, and the cuts were masterfully used to show action that they obviously didn't have the budget or technology to show outright (mostly the violence effects). But, I feel like the story dragged a lot in the middle. The beginning was strong, and the end was strong, but the middle was a bit weak for me. However the fate of the killer(s) at the end was really rewarding.

No spoilers I guess for these 40 year old movies, but I really enjoyed both. I might rewatch Suspiria and then move on to Inferno and Mother of Tears since I'm on an Argento kick.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was sick this weekend with a hosed up stomach bug, so I didn't get to come in here and argue that Opera is the best Argento film besides Suspiria, and I'm disappointed in everyone who says otherwise.

(edit: I still haven't seen Phenomena, so my vote is out on that one)

edit 2: Tenebre has the best theme song

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 26, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

Deep Red was slightly the opposite. Technically it was great - beautiful bright colors that have really become the hallmark of the style, and the cuts were masterfully used to show action that they obviously didn't have the budget or technology to show outright (mostly the violence effects). But, I feel like the story dragged a lot in the middle. The beginning was strong, and the end was strong, but the middle was a bit weak for me. However the fate of the killer(s) at the end was really rewarding.

Did you watch the uncut version that has the full uncut Daria Nicolodi subplot? If not then you didn't get the full Deep Red experience, although some people don't particularly like those scenes anyway. Those people are wrong, but still, it's an opinion that's out there.

Honestly I need to rewatch Opera to properly rank it. I really enjoyed it a lot but I've only seen it once, and with Argento that doesn't feel like enough to get a sense of where it truly stacks up against the others. And my initial reaction to Tenebre was that it probably has the most bonkers ending of any Argento film.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I need to re-watch Tenebre. I can’t remember too much of it, but I do recall liking it the best of the trilogy, which I want to re-evaluate because I really like Inferno

Which isn’t to say Suspiria is weak. I think it had to do with it being one of the first Argento movies I ever watched, and having heard so much about it that I’m not sure what I expected

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr.Caligari posted:

I need to re-watch Tenebre. I can’t remember too much of it, but I do recall liking it the best of the trilogy, which I want to re-evaluate because I really like Inferno

Which isn’t to say Suspiria is weak. I think it had to do with it being one of the first Argento movies I ever watched, and having heard so much about it that I’m not sure what I expected

It's confusing but Tenebre isn't actually considered a part of the Three Mothers Trilogy, even though one of the Mothers is called Mother Tenebrarum. Mother Tenebrarum is the one that is featured in Inferno, she's the one who turns into a giant grim reaper at the end. The third and most disappointing entry(although I did enjoy it) in the trilogy is Mother of Tears.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Honestly I need to rewatch Opera to properly rank it. I really enjoyed it a lot but I've only seen it once, and with Argento that doesn't feel like enough to get a sense of where it truly stacks up against the others. And my initial reaction to Tenebre was that it probably has the most bonkers ending of any Argento film.

I really need to rewatch Opera as well. I think it has Argento's best camera work.

If you need a reason to rewatch Tenebre, give this a quick listen.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I will never understand why we remake good movies instead of incomplete or imperfect films that deserve another shot.

I loved the Suspiria remake but imagine if that energy was put into remaking Inferno or Mother of Tears instead

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Franchescanado posted:

*I should note that I don't have a strong accent, but I have a hard time saying "horror". I have to enunciate to say 'hor-or', otherwise it sounds like "whore". I've gotten better about it over the years, but there are plenty of people that think my favorite films are "whore movies"

This literally got me in trouble in high school ages ago

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Burkion posted:

This literally got me in trouble in high school ages ago

In the Goosebumps videogame the monsters are called "horrors" and one of the main kids can't pronounce it right which leads to great moment like the kid running screaming out a room with ripped up clothes going "Don't go in there, its full of whores"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will never understand why we remake good movies instead of incomplete or imperfect films that deserve another shot.

I loved the Suspiria remake but imagine if that energy was put into remaking Inferno or Mother of Tears instead

There's definitely something to this, it's almost unheard of for a remake of an iconic masterpiece film to really make much of an impact even if the results aren't technically bad. You have your obvious stinkers of course, like Nightmare on Elm Street and The Fog but then even when the remakes are solid films they just come and go. Very few people are sitting down to watch the Carrie remake these days, or that recent prequel/remake of The Thing. Solid movies that had millions put into them and teams of people worked very hard on, all forgotten within a year or two. It's a waste of time and effort. I suspect the same will happen to Suspiria, in 10 years nobody will care about the remake even though it's not a bad movie, but the original will always be considered a horror masterpiece.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Steven Soderbergh alt account spotted.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I think Inferno is a social movie. It works a lot better with a fun group of friends having a few beers or a joint and going along with the ride. Not even to riff the movie, but because it's a movie that really isn't invested in logic or reality. It's not nearly as suspenseful as Suspiria or Opera, but it's so structurally bizarre and it's rooted in it's fantasy world, that I don't hate it. It's Argento going full dream-logic, so it's just going to be more polarizing. Like you said, you found the library wizard ridiculous, but Basebf555 thinks that's a great choice, both based on how much you like the fantasy Argento's using. You can argue that the magic of these witches is so powerful that they are bending reality, or you can argue that Argento just threw everything he had in the script and dove right in.

I can't even say it's bad. Tenebre's camera work--as much as it's symoblic work is praised--is objectively worse than Inferno. It's not my favorite Argento, but it's still an interesting entry in his filmography.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It’s a lot harder to sell an audience on “hey remember that movie that kind of sucked? We’re giving it another shot” than it is on “hey here’s this thing you’ve heard of and maybe really like, come see it again.”

Edit: I think the times this works best is when you’re remaking a movie that’s largely forgotten by contemporaneous audiences. E.g. The Thing, The Fly, Little Shop of Horrors, Ocean’s 11

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 26, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

There's definitely something to this, it's almost unheard of for a remake of an iconic masterpiece film to really make much of an impact even if the results aren't technically bad. You have your obvious stinkers of course, like Nightmare on Elm Street and The Fog but then even when the remakes are solid films they just come and go. Very few people are sitting down to watch the Carrie remake these days, or that recent prequel/remake of The Thing. Solid movies that had millions put into them and teams of people worked very hard on, all forgotten within a year or two. It's a waste of time and effort. I suspect the same will happen to Suspiria, in 10 years nobody will care about the remake even though it's not a bad movie, but the original will always be considered a horror masterpiece.

We know the answer: It's about money. The remake will get people to watch the movie, because they already think they'll like it because of cultural osmosis. No matter the quality, it's guaranteed to make money.

For instance, I work with people who say they love Freddy Kruger. They asked me about the remake, and I said it was terrible. I happened to mention "Yeah, it goes rather explicit in Freddy being a child molester," which is present in almost every single Freddy movie (the later sequels, of course, concentrate on Freddy being made from a gross massive sexual assault). None of my co-workers were aware of this integral aspect of Freddy Kruger, despite saying he was their favorite killer. Nothing against them, cuz who cares, but it's a prime example how people love horror icons without having watched the movie.

We have a new Child's Play. None of my friends had seen a Chucky movie (until I showed them). They were all very excited to see the new remake, because they already know Chucky. It doesn't matter if it's now a different Chucky, it's close enough. They hadn't even seen a Chucky movie, but they want to only because the character is already familiar with them.

It's an easy sell, and it's easy to market, and studios like easy money.

It's all stuff we know already, so this is rather redundant, but we're (in my opinion) about to see a major push for new stories in horror, thanks to the success of Hereditary and the Peele double whammy of Get Out and Us. But they'll also have to compete with a new push for entries in established franchises, thanks to Halloween's success.

It's gonna be a weird time for horror films in the next few years.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blast Fantasto posted:

It’s a lot harder to sell an audience on “hey remember that movie that kind of sucked? We’re giving it another shot” than it is on “hey here’s this thing you’ve heard of and maybe really like, come see it again.”

Edit: I think the times this works best is when you’re remaking a movie that’s largely forgotten by contemporaneous audiences. E.g. The Thing, The Fly, Little Shop of Horrors, Ocean’s 11

I think those examples qualify as imperfect and/or mediocre films though(I haven't seen the original Little Shop of Horrors). Certainly Ocean's 11, it was considered a fun curiosity because of it's cast but in the end not regarded as a great film, which is why by the time of the remake it had been forgotten. The Thing From Another World and The Fly are in the same boat I think, entertaining b-movies in their time but not beloved or very well remembered by the time the remakes were made.

And the easy sell that comes with remaking a beloved film can be a double edged sword, as we've seen. It gives you a nice boost at the box office initially but very rarely does it result in a movie that has any real staying power.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Basebf555 posted:

Did you watch the uncut version that has the full uncut Daria Nicolodi subplot? If not then you didn't get the full Deep Red experience, although some people don't particularly like those scenes anyway. Those people are wrong, but still, it's an opinion that's out there.

Now I'm not sure which version of Deep Red I've sat through. How would I be able to tell?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I think those examples qualify as imperfect and/or mediocre films though(I haven't seen the original Little Shop of Horrors). Certainly Ocean's 11, it was considered a fun curiosity because of it's cast but in the end not regarded as a great film, which is why by the time of the remake it had been forgotten. The Thing From Another World and The Fly are in the same boat I think, entertaining b-movies in their time but not beloved or very well remembered by the time the remakes were made.

And the easy sell that comes with remaking a beloved film can be a double edged sword, as we've seen. It gives you a nice boost at the box office initially but very rarely does it result in a movie that has any real staying power.

The original Little Shop is ok but it’s no Bucket of Blood. But what is, really.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Drunkboxer posted:

The original Little Shop is ok but it’s no Bucket of Blood. But what is, really.

Agreed. Original Little Shop is kinda bland and uninteresting, but Bucket of Blood is fantastic.

Little Shop is kind of unfair. It's not a direct remake of the original film, it's a direct adaptation of the stage play, which took great creative liberty from the original, and really only maintained the blood-hungry plant plot and character names/occupations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Repo! The Genetic Opera is the greatest horror movie musical

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Little Shop is more interesting for the context of its creation imho

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Look at this dude who hasnt seen Happiness of the Katakuris

I do really like Repo though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

Weird way to spell The Lure, but okay.

Honestly though, I can't stand Repo!.

edit: I should admit, I like some of the production design and the opera scene.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 26, 2019