Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
For the physical effects fans:

https://twitter.com/gigadgets_/status/1110224832963055616

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Weird way to spell The Lure, but okay.

Honestly though, I can't stand Repo!.

edit: I should admit, I like some of the production design and the opera scene.

EXTREMELY POSER OPINION WARNING^^^^^^^

tho ive never seen the Lure there's no way any movie is as good as Repo! because Repo! has Giles from Buffy ripping peoples organs out

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

Weird way to spell The Lure, but okay.

Honestly though, I can't stand Repo!.

Yeah I don’t get Repo.

Little Shop is the best horror musical. It’s also the best musical. Also, everyone should watch it with the original ending. It’s insane it was cut anyway, it’s the big closing number!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
*makes list of punk rear end bitches not repping Happiness of the Katakuris*

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I will never understand why we remake good movies instead of incomplete or imperfect films that deserve another shot.

I would nominate The Death Wheelers. I thought I found a hidden gem when I read the summary, but they fumbled it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

Now I'm not sure which version of Deep Red I've sat through. How would I be able to tell?

The uncut version is very close to 2 hours long, like right around 120 minutes. The cut version is like 20 minutes shorter.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Anyone else have a weird hangup on a director's name that for some reason just fires the wrong synapse or whatever

Like, I constantly forget Takashi Miike's name despite him being one of my favorite directors and my brain always defaults to Satoshi Kon which is a hilarious mistake to make

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Anyone else have a weird hangup on a director's name that for some reason just fires the wrong synapse or whatever

Like, I constantly forget Takashi Miike's name despite him being one of my favorite directors and my brain always defaults to Satoshi Kon which is a hilarious mistake to make

My brain always wants to say Frank Castle instead of William Castle. I don’t know why, I don’t even really like comic books.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Phantom of the Paradise is obviously the best horror musical. Happiness of the Katakuris is excellent too though. and of course Rocky Horror, if you count that as horror.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

The uncut version is very close to 2 hours long, like right around 120 minutes. The cut version is like 20 minutes shorter.

The one on Amazon is 104 minutes, so I guess I saw that version!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

The one on Amazon is 104 minutes, so I guess I saw that version!

Those 20 minutes really do complete the film and make it feel like a weird mix of giallo and romantic comedy, which for me is such a big part of what makes it great. But if you were already feeling like it dragged in the middle then maybe you wouldn't agree, hard to predict. Those Daria Nicolodi scenes are pretty divisive actually.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Basebf555 posted:

The Thing From Another World and The Fly are in the same boat I think, entertaining b-movies in their time but not beloved or very well remembered by the time the remakes were made.

The Thing from Another World is still a beloved classic and shows up pretty frequently on lists of the best science-fiction films from the 50s. It's very different from Carpenter's version though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Samuel Clemens posted:

The Thing from Another World is still a beloved classic and shows up pretty frequently on lists of the best science-fiction films from the 50s. It's very different from Carpenter's version though.

My sense on that has always been that it got a major critical reevaluation after Carpenter's version was released. Before that it was just another b-movie from that era that people enjoyed but didn't necessarily put on a pedestal above any of the others.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Repo! The Genetic Opera is the greatest horror movie musical

Speaking as someone who only finally got around to it like two years ago, y’all need Phantom of the Paradise in your life

gey muckle mowser posted:

Phantom of the Paradise is obviously the best horror musical.

There we go

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Phantom of the Paradise rules, and I’m always kind of surprised when I meet people who have never heard of it, as it was a Sci-Fi channel staple back in the day. But that might just be my creaky old bones showing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fart City posted:

Phantom of the Paradise rules, and I’m always kind of surprised when I meet people who have never heard of it, as it was a Sci-Fi channel staple back in the day. But that might just be my creaky old bones showing.

I missed it for whatever reason, never saw it on t.v. and don't remember having ever heard of it until a few years ago in this thread. Even when I got a little more into film and started paying attention to directors, I went through a bunch of De Palma but just never heard about Phantom of the Paradise as one of his best so I didn't track it down.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Somehow my roommate has never seen Larry Cohen's The Stuff so me and my roommate went on a mini-Larry Cohen bender last night. Ended the night watching Larry's Masters of Horror episode, Pick Me Up. I forgot those dvds have a ton of supplemental features, and also included this old interview Mick Garris did of Larry on his Z Channel show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_CPrgPQbLI

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

ruddiger posted:

Somehow my roommate has never seen Larry Cohen's The Stuff so me and my roommate went on a mini-Larry Cohen bender last night. Ended the night watching Larry's Masters of Horror episode, Pick Me Up. I forgot those dvds have a ton of supplemental features, and also included this old interview Mick Garris did of Larry on his Z Channel show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_CPrgPQbLI

I just read the part in Don Coscarelli's book about the first meeting of the Masters of Horror that led to the actual show. There's a pic included of that first dinner with a horror fan's wet dream of filmmakers all assembled. Don talked warmly about Larry Cohen in particular. Once again horror filmmakers usually end up being the friendliest guys in Hollywood.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gallow posted:

Once again horror filmmakers usually end up being the friendliest guys in Hollywood.
It will never not be funny that David Cronenberg leads the most boring, mow-the-lawn-and-barbecue life there can be, then makes Videodrome and then - apparently - just goes home to the wife and 2.2 kids.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Those 20 minutes really do complete the film and make it feel like a weird mix of giallo and romantic comedy, which for me is such a big part of what makes it great. But if you were already feeling like it dragged in the middle then maybe you wouldn't agree, hard to predict. Those Daria Nicolodi scenes are pretty divisive actually.

I mean, I saw some scenes with Daria and Marcus arm wrestling and arguing that women are inferior, and some other scenes with Daria. Was there more than that?

edit--

quote:

Most US versions remove 22 minutes' worth of footage, including the most graphic violence, all humorous scenes, almost all of the romantic scenes between David Hemmings and Daria Nicolodi, and part of the subplot regarding the house of the screaming child.

Ah.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

COOL CORN posted:

I mean, I saw some scenes with Daria and Marcus arm wrestling and arguing that women are inferior, and some other scenes with Daria. Was there more than that?

edit--

Ah.

What happens if you have those scenes is that you end up caring about the characters a lot more than in the average Argento film, at least imo. I really wanted Daria to survive and was really happy when she did.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

i will always rep Happiness of the Katakuris for any category even if it's not eligible

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mikeycp posted:

i will always rep Happiness of the Katakuris for any category even if it's not eligible

a wise man

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Easy Diff posted:

It will never not be funny that David Cronenberg leads the most boring, mow-the-lawn-and-barbecue life there can be, then makes Videodrome and then - apparently - just goes home to the wife and 2.2 kids.

I finally saw Shivers and once again you'd think the guy who made that would be on a sex offender registry or something but nope, it's just boring ol' Dave.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gallow posted:

I finally saw Shivers and once again you'd think the guy who made that would be on a sex offender registry or something but nope, it's just boring ol' Dave.

I listened to a great interview with Cronenberg once where the interviewer was like "Your recent films seem a departure from your typical movies" and he goes "I am not sure if there is a typical David Cronenberg movie, you know?" and the interviewer was just like "Come on"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gallow posted:

His part in Nightbreed felt like a pretty natural fit though so maybe he's just great at hiding the skeletons in his closet.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

His part in Nightbreed felt like a pretty natural fit though so maybe he's just great at hiding the skeletons in his closet.

I theorize the creation of art purges the emotions that the art conveys.

Its why Werner Herzog is so funny and charming irl and Hayao Miyazaki is a total prick

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Franchescanado posted:

But they'll also have to compete with a new push for entries in established franchises, thanks to Halloween's success.

Halloween is a different case though since it wasn't a remake, it was a sequel. I'm all for new franchise installments if they're as good as Halloween was, or as consistently good-to-decent as Don Mancini's new Chucky movies are. It's the straight remakes that I have a problem with.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
I feel like Cronenberg is the kind of guy who, when the skeletons in his basement are revealed, people will say "oh, yeah, ok, that makes sense"

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

That's immediately after he gives a whole speech bemoaning political correctness and then the concern for Gibson is more like "you're letting the job get to you, I'm worried about you" rather than any real concern for the community. The scene is then undercut by multiple screeds delivered by Gibson about how what they did was ok because they needed to prevent drugs from "entering the school system". Meanwhile his kid is being assaulted by "blacks" which is why he needs to make more money to move out of the neighborhood.
Sure, why else would Mel Gibson do those things if he didn't think he was right to do them, and think any observation or commentary of his actions would make him the victim? He's self righteous, he's a cop what did you expect? He could mop about his racism if this was a film about redemption or maybe a pure character story, but this about a film about a the type of person who would rob a drug dealer after being being suspended for being a brutal jackass. No way the character feels or says anything different.

And why would Don Johnson care? He is one of them. He's there to note how far Mel Gibson's character is falling, not act as the director's personal pillar of morality who dispenses wise judgement that the audience can get behind. The audience seen what lies on the edge of what the police would say is acceptable detainment even if it's what the public wouldn't. Once again, why would a cop be disgusted at that scene? That's what they do and it's only because of camera's they can be punished for it, according to them. Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn have dehumanized themselves because of the brutal line of work they entered.

Which is dramatically opposed to Kittle's character, who has the same problems as Gibson when it comes to his neighborhood and motives but treats the why differently. The first exploiter we see is a WHITE MAN taking advantage of his drug addict mother in poo poo hole that is Bulwark. We later learn that his little brother was crippled too by (presumably) another minority and neighbor, but that sets up what the director is hinting what the actual problem is with their situations: Poverty and the resulting 'hunger' from it. Everyone wants to become a lion like in that loving video game presented on early in the film because it's the only method possible to survive in their situations, while ignoring the fact lions die by the truckload and it's a self destrutive route in which ones flaws bring about one's downfall...speaking of which

quote:

Plenty of films give evil characters moments of humanization. This isn't that. Gibson and Vaughn are consistently portrayed as good men who have been driven by the destructive minorities to do unjustifiable things, and so you're supposed to feel sad that these good men have had to go to these lengths just be able to provide for their families. The film doesn't have to be saying "these dudes rock" for it to be an offensive presentation. They're presented as tragic anti-heroes.

Yes, all three characters, the two cops and Kittle, are people you're supposed to feel bad for that they went down this route. That's because two of them are evil characters granted moments of humanization and the other is the protagonist of the film. I agree, that Gibson and Vaughn's stories are meant to be tragic even , and in the Greek sense, anti-heroes , because their flaws that lead to their deaths. Dragged Across the Concrete isn't declarative, but it's obvious morality play. Two of the three leads die because of their flaws, Vaughn for being a moron who only follows Gibson's lead and his motive for being there is for overall petty reasons, and Gibson for his racism after he had successfully pulled off the heist. Kittle is the only pure character in this, which is why he thrives in the end. He was almost crying even after Gibson forced him to off him, reflecting he was satisfied with 60 percent of the haul and that he had never inflicted harmed on anyone, let alone killed anyone, without it being in a defensive state. This was his first murder and he still help Gibson's family aka what little purity the fucker had left

The film asks you to feel sad for the two cops BECAUSE they doomed themselves, not because their desperation or the lengths they go to, that's reserved for Kittle

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NutritiousSnack posted:

Yes, all three characters, the two cops and Kittle, are people you're supposed to feel bad for that they went down this route. That's because two of them are evil characters granted moments of humanization and the other is the protagonist of the film. I agree, that Gibson and Vaughn's stories are meant to be tragic even , and in the Greek sense, anti-heroes , because their flaws that lead to their deaths. Dragged Across the Concrete isn't declarative, but it's obvious morality play. Two of the three leads die because of their flaws, Vaughn for being a moron who only follows Gibson's lead and his motive for being there is for overall petty reasons, and Gibson for his racism after he had successfully pulled off the heist. Kittle is the only pure character in this, which is why he thrives in the end. He was almost crying even after Gibson forced him to off him, reflecting he was satisfied with 60 percent of the haul and that he had never inflicted harmed on anyone, let alone killed anyone, without it being in a defensive state. This was his first murder and he still help Gibson's family aka what little purity the fucker had left

The film asks you to feel sad for the two cops BECAUSE they doomed themselves, not because their desperation or the lengths they go to, that's reserved for Kittle

The dialogue between Gibson, Vaughn and Johnson comes off as very straight faced to me.

For me though, putting corrupt cops into the role of anti-hero is just an offensive thing to do in 2019(and should've been so in previous decades as well). Because the act of portraying someone that way is always a manipulation, a filmmaker has to craft it just the right way to balance both sides of the equation. So in this film Zahler inserts these things to inspire sympathy for the kind of person who, in real life, is completely toxic to our society. And by extension, the institution of policing itself. And this is one very common way that movies have always subtly manipulated the public into always respecting and feeling sympathy for what really is an apparatus of white supremacy. It just stands out all the more as wildly inappropriate in 2019 versus say, 25 years ago.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
So tonight I watched Dreamcatcher for the first time.

What a rush.

A fingerless Jason Clarke fights a colon-monster with a toilet brush.
An alien-possessed Damian Lewis puts on a jolly, weirdly unconvincing English accent, then turns into a slug and offhandedly eats Timothy Olyphant’s upper half.
Aforementioned colon-monsters repeatedly attack the characters’ groins.
Morgan Freeman proudly calls Tom Sizemore ‘Blue Boy Leader’.
The clearly-established telepathic powers go almost entirely unused until Thomas Jane starts using them all over the place.
CGI bobblehead aliens fleeing an airstrike.

William Goldman. Lawrence Kasdan. Just...all of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This is not official and is fan-made, but goddamn, it rules :staredog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGZRYKSuvQc

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

That's awesome.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The easy way to know if you've watched the long version of Deep Red is it the movie keeps switching from English to Italian, since they didn't have the English audio for the reinserted scenes. I prefer the shorter Hatchet Murders cut because I like my gialli quick and punchy.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

everything i write is horny and anxious so this tracks

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Hitchcock pretty clearly refutes that theory.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

gey muckle mowser posted:

Phantom of the Paradise is obviously the best horror musical. Happiness of the Katakuris is excellent too though. and of course Rocky Horror, if you count that as horror.

I'm going to agree with this although I'm not entirely convinced Katakuris is horror. I don't know what it is, even if there are dead people walking around. Is "fever dream" a genre? What I do know is that the first time I saw it, I spent pretty much the entire movie with a giant goofy grin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Stryder posted:

I'm going to agree with this although I'm not entirely convinced Katakuris is horror. I don't know what it is, even if there are dead people walking around. Is "fever dream" a genre? What I do know is that the first time I saw it, I spent pretty much the entire movie with a giant goofy grin.

Its literally a remake of a korean horror film where he just went "gently caress it, add songs"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quiet_Family