Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl is now being hosted on CKO; thanks, Floraline!
https://crawl.kelbi.org/#lobby

Gooncrawl online scores for CKO can be found on both CKO's personal scoring site (https://crawl.kelbi.org/morgue-test/highscores.html , https://crawl.kelbi.org/morgue-test/best-players-total-score.html) and on Bloodnok's aggregated scoring site (http://gooncrawl.montres.org.uk/).

If there are any issues and you don't want to reach out directly, please post them and I can forward them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

Okay I am finally dabbling in this game again. As I have done on and off for years. Someone tell me the quickest and most stylish way to steal 3 runes, get the orb, and get out. As a reference to my amount of skill, I find myself frequently dying in the past at just after lair, or in the depths. I do not think I have gotten a rune, and in the past I've usually used a really boring MiFi to get there.

I'm trying a skald at the moment but what are important spell caster skill levels to hit before/after lair? I don't know the right balance between school, 'spellcasting' (mana right?) , 'fighting' (hp right?), and weapon skill, because I've been spoiled by the fighter and it's easier to pick a ranged weapon and hit max weapon skill and HP with a non caster.

An unarmed troll worshipping yred. Oka mak and trog can also work, but pain mirror and drain life are great with all the Regen and hp you have, and having allies is good for defense and offense.

E: for style, soul enslaving cool uniques and trying to keep them alive is kinda stylish?

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 21, 2019

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
In general, I find the easiest combos are ones where you don't have to think about things too much. This usually means being a melee blender that relies on a god for filling in for your weaknesses. Makhleb is real good for this; pick something that's not too crazy like a Minotaur or a Troll or even a human, worship the ruinous powers, and you don't even have to think about what you're levelling, you can just about leave on your weapon skill, fighting, defense skill(s), and invocations forever. Heavy armor axe users in particular rarely even need to think about combat positioning later in a standard run, although that can lead to complacency. As stated above, uncle Oki, Yred, and Trog are also all great choices for 3-runers.

If you want to be slightly trickier about it, a high elf worshipping Sif or Vehu is a relatively straight-forward way of blasting through the game. Just focus on one elemental school (Ice is traditionally the easiest thanks to Throw Icicle giving you a little bit of mid-game non-elemental damage) until you have your level 9 spell to spam at the remainder of the game.

Until you're consistent at winning, there's lots of races and battle plans that seem cool, but have glaring deficiencies that are difficult to counter. Gnolls and Faerie Dragons have an easy early-game, and then suffer under an exponential difficulty curve in the struggle to close out the game. Djinn, Vampires, Vine Stalkers, and Mountain Dwarves all require managing additional restrictions and resources concerning your health. MD's are probably the easiest of those to work with, though, because they're just kind of...good. Formicids and Nagas are actually both a LOT more powerful than you'd expect (formicids in particular), but they require careful use of their other abilities and a keen awareness of how to mitigate their faults. Evocations can be a really powerful stopgap for the mid to lategame, but few races are prepared to make full use of it and whether or not it's a viable choice can depend heavily on what other ranged options you have and what items you've found.

Bear in mind, all of my advice should be taken with a grain of salt; I'm a terribly inconsistent off-and-on Crawl player who has probably completed as many Zigs as 3-runes, because I am bad at the game and play it in a variety of terrible ways. My favorite races are Naga, Gnoll, and Demigod/Promethean, and I recommend against playing any of them ever.

E: Re-reading, you're probably aware of a lot of the above already, my apologies. I should add that spell levels are kind of tricky and will vary a lot from character to character; it's usually a matter of deciding 'what skills will make me least likely to die in the next couple of levels'. You don't necessarily need to have all your magic be reliable to be useful, but the worse your cast rates are the more opportunities for problems occur.

E2: As for Style, Style usually comes at the expense of practicality/ease-of-use. You could always try a melee fighter using the movie-kung-fu god? That's got a bit of a learning curve, but it's not as tricky as some of the other options and seems to be really cool once you get going with it (disclaimer: my kung fu is weak)

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 21, 2019

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Floodkiller posted:

Gooncrawl online scores for CKO can be found on both CKO's personal scoring site (https://crawl.kelbi.org/morgue-test/highscores.html , https://crawl.kelbi.org/morgue-test/best-players-total-score.html) and on Bloodnok's aggregated scoring site (http://gooncrawl.montres.org.uk/).

If there are any issues and you don't want to reach out directly, please post them and I can forward them up.

Is CKO running an old version of Gooncrawl, or did we revert the thing where spellbooks get added to a library rather than hauling them around until you bother to learn them? It's entirely possible I missed any recent changes like that.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wolfechu posted:

Is CKO running an old version of Gooncrawl, or did we revert the thing where spellbooks get added to a library rather than hauling them around until you bother to learn them? It's entirely possible I missed any recent changes like that.

I'll check, CKO may be running Gooncrawl stable instead of trunk.

Edit: Yeah, it's running stable. I'll ask if it can be swapped over to the dev branch.

Edit 2: Swapped over, should be on the dev branch at next rebuild.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 21, 2019

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The most stylish is a human worshipping the Kung Fu Council

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Toalpaz posted:

I'm playing goon crawl, and I'm aware of weapon delay and such, I just don't know whether I need to rush to min weapon delay, when to start training dodge or arm, when to start training spellcraft, and HP. Also I'm playing a Djinni atm and panic read a bunch of unknown scrolls:

Generally, for early training, the best plan is to get your weapon skill up to whatever it needs to be for 1.0 delay (generally 8 for early weapons, every 2 skill levels reduces delay by 0.1), then get fighting and armour/dodging (whichever you're relying on more heavily at the moment, although you'll want to raise the other later) to 10, then go back to training your weapon for mindelay.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
After talking about trolls of yred once again, I started another run and it's just so poweful and neat. Went from enslaving niklaus to bogarts and now the enchantress, all while having the strongest weapon in the game (claws 3), umbra aura, flaying ghosts, 100+ large rocks and portal projectile. If you get to 50% hp, just swap with a bone dragon and drain life a couple times and you're good to tab storm again. If anyone's looking for their first win or just a super easy win, try it.

E: goddamit I knew I shouldn't of posted before I won. Enchantress got blown up by an ettin right after I posted (for some reason though my post didn't even go through until I went to edit it. lovely connection I guess). I still won but I wanted to take enchantress with me out of the dungeon

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue//puppykicker/morgue-puppykicker-20190321-212406.txt

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 21, 2019

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Toalpaz posted:

Okay I am finally dabbling in this game again. As I have done on and off for years. Someone tell me the quickest and most stylish way to steal 3 runes, get the orb, and get out. As a reference to my amount of skill, I find myself frequently dying in the past at just after lair, or in the depths. I do not think I have gotten a rune, and in the past I've usually used a really boring MiFi to get there.

I'm trying a skald at the moment but what are important spell caster skill levels to hit before/after lair? I don't know the right balance between school, 'spellcasting' (mana right?) , 'fighting' (hp right?), and weapon skill, because I've been spoiled by the fighter and it's easier to pick a ranged weapon and hit max weapon skill and HP with a non caster.

As people have said be fore MiFi, HOFi, or GrFi of Oka is probably the easiest way to rip-and-tear your way to victory. You can use heroism for pretty much every yellow fight and heroism+finesse for pretty much every red one.

The biggest advice I can give is to add the following to your RC:

code:
hp_warning = 50

fmm := force_more_message
fmm += You fall through a shaft
fmm += LOW HITPOINT WARNING
fmm += don't die
fmm += You are starving
fmm += .*orbs? of fire.* comes? into view
fmm += .*pandemonium* comes? into view
fmm += ancient lich.* comes? into view
fmm += .*greater mumm.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Fiend.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Tzitzimitl.* comes? into view
fmm += .*curse skull.* comes? into view
fmm += .*Hell Sentinel.* comes? into view
fmm += You have finished your manual
fmm += shining eye comes into view
fmm += caustic shrike comes into view
fmm += juggernaut comes into view
fmm += calcifying dust hits you 
50% HP is when you want to start considering how you're going to change your tactics (teleporting is always an option). It's hard to survive being one turn from death (even heal wounds and blink won't save you 100% of the time) but very easy to make the right decision if you're aware you're 10 turns from death. General order is

Dungeon to Lair (or D:10-ish)
Lair
D:15
Orc
Lair branches
V:1-4
Elf (if necessary) or Depths
Third rune (V:5 for fighters, Slime for mages, and Abyss for rogues)
Zot

As you've noticed the lair branches and depths are common killers as it's a spike in difficulty right when you feel most invincible.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
For beginners unarmed troll fighters of yred are 1000% easier than anything else. You get the strongest allies in the game, a super strong heal, and you can enslave almost every unique. Don't let anyone deceive you with talk of gargoyles (-30% hp) or minotaurs (no regen or claws or large rocks) or okawaru (no on demand healing or allies, and the weapons are pointless when claws3 is the strongest attack in the game and large rocks are everywhere)

You don't even have to worry about skill point allocation, just set shields to stop training at lv 15, turn on fighting and unarmed (set to double xp) and never turn them off. When you find some dragon armor, turn on armor, and train a little bit of invocations for enslaving anything with cool spells or abilities.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Whatever Archeologist of Gozag and just keep splatting yourself until you get a godly unlock from the chest. Cheap and not intended by the main branch developers? That makes it all the better!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It should also be noted that Lair branch endings (and branch endings in general) tend to be extremely dangerous vaults that are a huge step up from the rest of the branch; I tend to save rune-running for last after having cleared most of the upper branches, and often until after I've cleared my way clear to the Zot door if Depths isn't giving me too much guff.

Granted I am also one of those idiots more comfortable in the Abyss than Vault, so

Jon Joe posted:

Whatever Archeologist of Gozag and just keep splatting yourself until you get a godly unlock from the chest. Cheap and not intended by the main branch developers? That makes it all the better!

This is certainly acceptable, because you should never let anyone tell you how to play said the person with the 'Lugonu's #1 Patron' t-shirt

That may involve a bit of splatting, though, just to be clear. A bit.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Abyss is definitely way easier than Vault 5. I also tend to do elf before vault if I have at least MR+++ since vaults have elves anyway.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Jon Joe posted:

If you pick Archeologist and Demonspawn, and your skill book is a weapon type, you're in such a good place. I just opened Leech on d4, lootcrates... whew.

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
gnoll wanderer

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Playing as a TrDk of Yred, I found a Book of Changes on D:4. Is it worth Picking up any of the spells, given trolls terrible magic aptitudes?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Caustic Soda posted:

Playing as a TrDk of Yred, I found a Book of Changes on D:4. Is it worth Picking up any of the spells, given trolls terrible magic aptitudes?

I honestly wouldn't bother with transmutations because your claws are already so powerful and yred doesn't allow statue form, but pumping a little int and a few levels of spell schools for like blink or portal projection or swiftness or other utility should be fine, you get a point of str every 3 levels so pumping int doesn't hurt your damage.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jon Joe posted:

Abyss is definitely way easier than Vault 5. I also tend to do elf before vault if I have at least MR+++ since vaults have elves anyway.

Elf is not bad if you're patient and cheesy with murderholes and luring them one by one into their deaths. The most dangerous Elves are the Earth Elementalists that can gently caress up your little death alcoves. Elf is also a joke if you're a caster and have poison cloud memorized because then you're basically the Elf fumigator.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Alright, I have to ask, because I'm never sure - is stat drain a big worry nowadays? I know you used to have to get all three stats up to 8 to avoid instadeath (and later just having a bad time), but does it matter if you're trundling around with a MiFi with an Int of 5 nowadays?

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
not really no

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Wolfechu posted:

Alright, I have to ask, because I'm never sure - is stat drain a big worry nowadays? I know you used to have to get all three stats up to 8 to avoid instadeath (and later just having a bad time), but does it matter if you're trundling around with a MiFi with an Int of 5 nowadays?

It generally wasn't a big worry in general for runs that did not venture into extended. Your average run-in with stat drain otherwise would be the stray neqoxec/giant brain or an unfortunate Zot trap (3.57% chance). It was one of those pieces of advice that got amplified over time into a requirement for everyone to follow.

Anyway you will be debilitated for hitting 0 but you won't eventually directly die from it like you did in 0.13. In 0.19 they halved the max amount of stat drain you can get from a single source from 7 to 4 so your current INT is perfectly fine anyway!

Brainless is the least dangerous of the three, relatively. All of them hit you with slow while you're >= 0 and paralysis for few turns but the continual effects are: 80% chance to fail reading a scroll and cannot memorize/cast spells. Compare that with Strength dividing HP regen by 4 and Dexterity dramatically cutting your EV/SH and stealth numbers.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

In gooncrawl running around with scary low int as a Mi or whatever might be a very slight concern since malmutation does a bunch of stat drain. But it clears up pretty quick with exp gain, and also restore ability potions exist and aren't crazy rare so you'll probably be okay unless you're fighting, like, 3 OOFs

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Stabbers are the worst? How do you get your stealth high enough to reliably get your stab on mid game? I think maybe I don't get my hexes high enough fast enough for the spriggen enchanter.

I've noticed that out of the two potions of mutation I've dranken in my runs since playing goon crawl they've both given me degeneration. So worry about that I suppose.

petty witch
Mar 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
spriggans have an extremely advanced form of the most powerful tactic in the game

dont wake anybody else up, place down some exclusions if nobody yelled, walk away

level stealth and be a coward, or at least leave the hard to digest bits for later

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Toalpaz posted:

Stabbers are the worst? How do you get your stealth high enough to reliably get your stab on mid game? I think maybe I don't get my hexes high enough fast enough for the spriggen enchanter.

You don't. You supplement with Passwall or Invis/Confuse/Enchanted Hibernation. Stealth is your way of knowing their location without them waking up, so you can bugger off elsewhere until you're good and ready to shiv them. Stealth is also your way of getting away; it reduces the chances that they continue to track you while out of Line of Sight and go back to randomly wandering around again.

Stealth is what you train after Hexes, Short Blades and Dodge are acceptable.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Also note that stabbers, like everyone else, need a backup plan for when their main strategy doesn't work(ex. fighting a high MR sInv monster).

So you want an alternate melee weapon that does more damage than a dagger, amd/or damaging spells/evocables and the skill to use them.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Toalpaz posted:

I've noticed that out of the two potions of mutation I've dranken in my runs since playing goon crawl they've both given me degeneration. So worry about that I suppose.

That's kinda funny, I actually was gonna suggest SpEn as the easiest and most stylish 3-rune. I had a super easy time with them in the early and mid game. basically just pump hexes so ensorc has no fail chance and high power, then do the same for confuse. Those two spells alone will win 99% of fights in the entire game, at least up until orbs of fire. The power just has to be high enough to defeat their MR. fights mostly boil down to spamming e.h. until it sticks, then one-shotting the bad guy with your dagger. If they're scary enough that they could take a bunch of your life in one turn, kite them with your superior speed and spam confuse instead. run from anything even remotely threatening, because you can outrun them. I can't stress enough how powerful the combo of confuse+being fast is. don't ever try to stab without spell backup, unless you're sure you'll be able to stick an e.h./confuse when they wake up. Hope to find invisibility, which will completely trivialize anything not +SeeInvis. You'll eventually need a gameplan for orbs of fire, as they're one of the only non-postgame enemies completely immune to hexes and strong enough to stand up to your distracted stabs. THEY WILL KILL YOU. So start thinking about how to deal with them before heading into zot. That means high level direct damage spells, summons, or a non-dagger weapon and every buff spell possible, plus hopefully okawaru's buffs too. I'm not sure if trying to branch into a melee brawler is very feasible without Oka. Maybe someone else could chime in on that.

I'm stressing the OoF thing because I've died to them after tearing up the entire game with invis. In my one SpEn win I actually just tried to sneak past them, which "worked", but only barely. Probably not recommended outside of style points and flavor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Trying to sneak through Zot:5 is a bad idea since it can easily fall apart and get you killed. Even moreso now with the trap change, though I guess that doesn't apply to gooncrawl.

Speaking of which, its really cool that you guys made scoring for gooncrawl. I'll definitely give it a try now once I feel the Crawl itch again.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Trying to sneak through Zot:5 is a bad idea since it can easily fall apart and get you killed. Even moreso now with the trap change, though I guess that doesn't apply to gooncrawl.

Speaking of which, its really cool that you guys made scoring for gooncrawl. I'll definitely give it a try now once I feel the Crawl itch again.

Yeah, it was a mess. all the random teles turn it into a total crapshoot you'll definitely eventually lose. I just got lucky that time :v:

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Malign gateway is my go-to OoF strategy for spriggans. Tentacles are immune to fire and if you can get one out it can absolutely 1v1 an orb. The translocations element (+4 aptitute) gives spriggans an easy backdoor to what would otherwise be a very expensive summoning (-2 aptitude) spell.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

So, I have this Drakonian Berzerker with a chance due to an extremely good weapon find on like d4 (the +11 whip with 2 resists I need).

I'm approaching the point where I feel I'm fairly good at my main thing, having a lot of HP and hitting people with the whip really well. I don't really have a back up plan though, and I'm approaching the point in the game where I've berserked before on other characters only to run out of steam and killed while I was exhausted. I can't learn any spells, and I'm leveling up evokations hoping to be able to use my wand of paralysis and enslavement, or other fancy evokables later to give me more options. I'm only sitting on one tp scroll and no blinks.

What should I do to expand my character's options? Should I just try and hit min delay on my whip and dump into dodge because my back up plans look really really bad.

I'm on D:9 and haven't started lair or orc yet.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Get a bigger mace & flail weapon. The whip is certainly amazing in the early game but apart from Nikola and maybe spark wasps in Spider Nest you aren't going to be in any real danger from electric attacks and you're covered for fire with your ring. Hitting harder is more important in the mid game so things won't stay alive to hit you back. The choice is either finding a morning star and shield for more defense or go all out on offense with some two-handed dire flail or great mace.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Throwing is a good extra for most melee characters, especially when you have a god who'll supply ammo. I wouldn't call it a backup plan exactly, but it's good to be able to start damaging things before they're right in your face.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I will never not tab.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Good news friend!

autofight_throw = false
If your quiver contains a throwable item, autofight will throw it
at enemies out of melee range. Without this option, only a wielded
launcher (a bow, crossbow, sling or blowgun) will be considered.

autofight_throw_nomove = true
This works same as above, except only for ===hit_closest_nomove rather
than ===hit_closest; this is usually bound to shift-Tab.

Tab stomping from long range!

E: There is no hubris quite like a post-shoals MiFi with an eveningstar and 30 javelins.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 25, 2019

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
Thanks to the troll of yred suggestions I got my first ever victory! It felt like it really got rolling around the bottom of lair/orc once I had a few undead that followed me from level to level. My army got wiped out on Zot:5, but by that point I'd collected enough good gear to claw my way to victory.

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/anchorite/morgue-anchorite-20190325-022124.txt

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

anchorite posted:

Thanks to the troll of yred suggestions I got my first ever victory! It felt like it really got rolling around the bottom of lair/orc once I had a few undead that followed me from level to level. My army got wiped out on Zot:5, but by that point I'd collected enough good gear to claw my way to victory.

https://crawl.kelbi.org/crawl/morgue/anchorite/morgue-anchorite-20190325-022124.txt

Hell yeah brother, welcome to the super secret death troll club, which ironically uses claws instead of clubs. Good job

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Floodkiller posted:

And now I have to start playing again. Dammit!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You're playing gooncrawl, you have the perfect set of mutations, more or less. You come across a huge pile of mutagenic meat from ugly things. What do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Always. Eat. The. Purple.