Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

keyboard vomit posted:

My old bike was getting long in the tooth so I went out and got a nice cyclocross bike

It's cool and good

heck yeah

kona rove
going to put black pedals on :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

heck yeah

kona rove
going to put black pedals on :allears:

seriously considering picking one of these up for some light commuting and ideally some long haul possibly bike camping trips. love that colour.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

do it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Trashman posted:

seriously considering picking one of these up for some light commuting and ideally some long haul possibly bike camping trips. love that colour.

bike camping is so insanely good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

my bitter bi rival posted:

bike camping is so insanely good.

bikes are good, camping is good, basically a flawless combination

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
except for the how do you carry a 24 pack thing

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I have ~4 trips planned this summer depending on when the inevitable wildfires ruin everything

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

you could probably fit 24 beers in a handlebar bag or on the fork bags

I bring wine in a can because it's 3x the booze and is good warm

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

echinopsis posted:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
tbh serious bikepacking with all the crazy frame bags is a bit much for me. a pair of panniers is plenty for your tent, clothes, cooking and sleeping gear for a couple nights, especially if you split it with a friend. bring a bag of wine and travel light imo

if you have to have beer you could easily fit a couple six-packs on your luggage rack with some bungees, 24 might be a push but if you really want it you'll find a way.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

The pro move is cheap whiskey and instant lemonade powder for a trail whisky sour

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

yes

i’ve just drunk 2 pints of redbud and I haven’t even arrived at work yet

big scary monsters posted:

tbh serious bikepacking with all the crazy frame bags is a bit much for me. a pair of panniers is plenty for your tent, clothes, cooking and sleeping gear for a couple nights, especially if you split it with a friend. bring a bag of wine and travel light imo

if you have to have beer you could easily fit a couple six-packs on your luggage rack with some bungees, 24 might be a push but if you really want it you'll find a way.

i’m quite intrigued

is it advisable to take lsd on the bike rides yes/no

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
mate that's literally the first ever use of lsd, how could you go wrong

e:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

yes, but save it for when you've made camp

frame bags rule, panniers drool

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
just do a 200+ mile endurance run, the sleep deprivation will give you all the hallucinations you need

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

old and probably already in this thread but idc fight me

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

frame bags rule, panniers drool

i was going to get a set of frame bags for my fatbike and had visions of cycling across the finnish arctic and stuff, but then i discovered that no matter how fat your bike deep snow is deep snow so now i just go on ski trips in the winter instead. maybe with that crazy double-wheel setup they used to bike to the south pole it'd be alright

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

echinopsis posted:

https://surlybikes.com/parts/24_pack_rack

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

keyboard vomit posted:

The pro move is cheap whiskey and instant lemonade powder for a trail whisky sour

yeah if weight and volume are at a premium then seems like liquor would be the better choice

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

motorcycle camping is real good too. somehow i have zero pictures from the trips i've made. you don't really even need saddlebags, you can just use one or two of those bungee cargo nets to hold everything down on the seat behind you.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

bring bourbon

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

drat I guess I don't have many pics of my rig on my phone

edit: butano state park no longer being first come/first serve in november and april is one of the worst things that ever happened to me, personally, but its easy enough to stealth camp if you dont mind the extra work :ninja:

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 26, 2019

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

yes

i’ve just drunk 2 pints of redbud and I haven’t even arrived at work yet

i’m quite intrigued

is it advisable to take lsd on the bike rides yes/no

50-75 ug is the sweet spot for me. ive done up to 200 ug and that was way t oo much.

also ive put a growler in my pannier no problem. its just not nearly enough beer for 2

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

summer better hurry up so I can get the heck out of here

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a deep urge to get up from my desk and walk straight to the mountains, never to return

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

my bitter bi rival posted:

drat I guess I don't have many pics of my rig on my phone

edit: butano state park no longer being first come/first serve in november and april is one of the worst things that ever happened to me, personally, but its easy enough to stealth camp if you dont mind the extra work :ninja:

- Rides bikes
- stealth camps
- powerful hammock game

Are you me?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

how cold do hammocks get

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

how cold do hammocks get

if it's cold out at night, you want either a foam/air pad under you in the hammock, or you can get these quilts that hang outside the hammock to hold in heat. if you just throw a sleeping bag in, you'll compress the bag under you and your rear end will freeze.

if you can handle the annoyance of keeping that stupid foam pad under you, it'll be no colder than sleeping in a tent on the same pad.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Yeah, I've tried pads in the hammock but unless you have a hammock with a sleeve or a properly shaped pad they tend to move around on you. In that photo I'm using an underquilt, which in good weather is all you need if it's big enough to close over the top. Otherwise I'll use a sleeping bag in there too.

I'm totally sold on hammock camping where possible. I sleep a lot better than on the ground.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hammocks are really good and I take mine on every hike I do so I can take a nap in the woods if I want.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

is the sdlc business qa marketing dance at ya'lls spots

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
there aren't any trees tall enough to put up a hammock out here

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i actually dont use the hammock much any more for camping. i like it for napping in but i find them uncomfortable overnight. i probably dont hang it great though, and always used a poo poo tubular webbing setup instead of the purpose-specific actual straps. i use a six moons skyscape scout now and its my favorite tent ive ever used.

in the summer tho ill go bike camping and just sleep out on a tarp -> sleeping pad -> sleeping bag rig out. never had a problem with that. dont know about the spiders you eat as long as you dont wake up.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 27, 2019

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just sleep in the dirt like an animal

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a "3" person backpacking tent that my GF and I split. it's roomy enough for us to be very comfortable but not unpleasant to hoof it up a mountain. I think it's a marmot brand, it was like $100 at REI and has held up pretty well except a big rear end beetle got packed away into it once and it chewed a hole in the door mesh

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
mods please change thread title to "camping gear thread" tia

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe
drat thread really making me wanna go and get that bike, 24 pack rack and a hammock

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Do it. There's something extremely liberating about just dropping everything, tossing some stuff in a pannier and loving off somewhere pretty.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

hammocks are convenience store burritos for hungry bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

My hammock tarp is like 9'x11' it's a palace and amazing to sit under and eat breakfast during a thunderstorm