Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't get how people can use a TKL keyboard as a daily, but if that's your thing, you do you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

iospace posted:

I don't get how people can use a TKL keyboard as a daily, but if that's your thing, you do you!

Completely agree, who needs more than 75%? :imunfunny:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

iospace posted:

I don't type numbers all day every day, it's easy.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

iospace posted:

Work

Play

I should get a new pic, upgraded the realforce to Norbauer aluminum case, and mouse to GPW.

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

Did anyone here order the kbdfans T1 switches? Looking forward to reviews

I ordered them.. I am a weak man..

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
I switch between a Full sized and 60%

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

The Modern Sky posted:

I switch between a Full sized and 60%

I did the above for close to 2 years. Now it's 60% at work and TKL at home. I still don't know if I've found the exact sweet spot for what I want, but I don't feel like desoldering my entire Pok3r to improve things right now.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

iospace posted:

I love having a detached number pad. It makes it easier to use all the time or sometimes.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I got a 96key at work with a bunch of macros for common poo poo I type like SQL statements.

At home it's a free for all for whatever I'm feeling at the moment (and it's never full-size)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's kind of ugly imo, but if anyone wants a full sized + extra keys otemu brown switch keyboard this Dell Alienware AW568 Advanced Gaming Keyboard is on ebay (sold by Adorama) for $24:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alienware-AW568-Advanced-Gaming-Keyboard/372632553425

mewse
May 2, 2006

Rexxed posted:

It's kind of ugly imo, but if anyone wants a full sized + extra keys otemu brown switch keyboard this Dell Alienware AW568 Advanced Gaming Keyboard is on ebay (sold by Adorama) for $24:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Alienware-AW568-Advanced-Gaming-Keyboard/372632553425

Lol shipping to canada is $96.50

That keyboard is prob worth $24 just for the alien badge. Outemu browns are decent

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

It took about a week for me to be able to type as quickly on the number row as I did on the numpad, and now I don’t move my hands as much so it’s actually faster. :shrug:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just got a Logitech ten keyless mechanical keyboard two days ago and for no reason that I am aware of it is now ghost pressing random keys all over the keyboard, the space bar, v, f7, just random poo poo. Nothing has happened to it and it is brand loving new. What do I do? I'm so annoyed and frustrated, this thing was expensive and now I can't use my computer at all and I don't understand why it's doing this.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Is returning it not an option?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Yeah, if just taking it back to the store isn't an option, I'm sure Logitech has a warranty on it. Call them up, I'm sure they would figure something out.

Full disclosure: I've never had to warranty/RMA anything with Logitech, so I have no idea how good they are.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
I came across a render I really liked and have been hunting for the keycap set. I don't think it exists :(

Can anyone ID this?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Numinous posted:

I came across a render I really liked and have been hunting for the keycap set. I don't think it exists :(

Can anyone ID this?

Could be a mix of multiple sets.

Mods look like DSA Lightcycle but they didn’t have keys with “super” iirc. At first I thought it might have been SA Pulse Noir due to the arrow keys but those seem to be the same color as the alphas and Pulse Noir doesn’t have text mods.

Alphas seemed like SA Calms Depth at first but the blue is different I think.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Numinous posted:

Can anyone ID this?

That reminds me of the keyboards we use.

They still look like that but i'm pretty sure the light keys are dark now and there's back lighting too. I should ask tech ops if they know any specifics about the keyboards like what switches they use. If you didn't notice it, the number pad is reversed and it leads to fun things when you go back to a regular computer.

The keyboards that terminal facilities use are pretty wild.

I wouldn't be able to handle that.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fknlo posted:

That reminds me of the keyboards we use.

They still look like that but i'm pretty sure the light keys are dark now and there's back lighting too. I should ask tech ops if they know any specifics about the keyboards like what switches they use. If you didn't notice it, the number pad is reversed and it leads to fun things when you go back to a regular computer.

The keyboards that terminal facilities use are pretty wild.

I wouldn't be able to handle that.

What on Earth to both of these

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Is that for one-handed use? Is it in an airplane? Tell me everything, I must know

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

shovelbum posted:

What on Earth to both of these

They're both keyboards that air traffic controllers use. The more normal one is what they use in en route centers and the really dumb one is what they use in towers and approach controls. I have no idea why that one is the way it is and hasn't been changed to something even remotely more sane.

AgentCow007 posted:

Is that for one-handed use? Is it in an airplane? Tell me everything, I must know

I don't know what they do with those to be honest. I know they try to avoid using it for things that are pretty simple on our end and I understand why.

Gun Metal Cray
Apr 27, 2005

Pillbug
Had to retire my old ErgoForce due to the slight binding that occurs with aging plastic, which made my RSI flare up. Would've lubed the stems, but I didn't want to risk shattering more caps. So I got myself a Realforce TKL, which I absolutely adore. But gently caress me if it's worth two grand.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
People at my makerspace keep asking me about what switches they should get on a mechanical keyboard, so I bought one of these:

It's easily the best like $40 I've spent in this hobby yet, especially as a thing to help people decide what they want in terms of a board. Hell, I'd never have tried Aliaz switches without it, and I'm considering them for building out one of my boards for work purely because of how drat quiet 100g Aliazes are.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Anyone under 6'4" should try lowering their chairs until both feet are firmly planted on the ground, leaning back, and tilting their keyboards up/forward.

There is a bunch of conflicting advice on how to sit and use keyboards out there. After many months of testing different configurations I came to that conclusion. Basically these guys were right: https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/5-adjustments-you-need-make-your-desk-right-now-ncna813726

Lowering the chair and leaning back lets the chair support your back, helps offset the fact that seat pans are designed for long legs, and forces you to adopt a more natural downward gaze when looking at the monitor. Now, lowering the chair tends to put your elbow below desk height, which is unergonomic, and you have to raise and angle your arms while typing. By propping up the keyboard and maybe resting your palms on a block of solid wood palmrest, your palm and fingers are actually parallel to the keys even if they're tilted relative to the desk surface. Ideally you'd be resting your keyboard on your lap but I doubt most people's typing and mousing setups can accommodate for that. The advice of making your keyboard lay as flat as possible (because only people who needs to see the keys when typing prop up their keyboards) works only if your elbow is at or above desk height, which won't happen unless you're tall and sitting up straight.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Exit Strategy posted:

People at my makerspace keep asking me about what switches they should get on a mechanical keyboard, so I bought one of these:

It's easily the best like $40 I've spent in this hobby yet, especially as a thing to help people decide what they want in terms of a board. Hell, I'd never have tried Aliaz switches without it, and I'm considering them for building out one of my boards for work purely because of how drat quiet 100g Aliazes are.

Where did this come from? I was looking for something exactly like this, because it's way easier than keeping a printed diagram with my tester.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

KBDfans sells it and it's been on massdrop. I also got one and brought it into work, and it's actually been a really great conversation starter.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

huhwhat posted:

Anyone under 6'4" should try lowering their chairs until both feet are firmly planted on the ground, leaning back, and tilting their keyboards up/forward.

There is a bunch of conflicting advice on how to sit and use keyboards out there. After many months of testing different configurations I came to that conclusion. Basically these guys were right: https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/5-adjustments-you-need-make-your-desk-right-now-ncna813726

Lowering the chair and leaning back lets the chair support your back, helps offset the fact that seat pans are designed for long legs, and forces you to adopt a more natural downward gaze when looking at the monitor. Now, lowering the chair tends to put your elbow below desk height, which is unergonomic, and you have to raise and angle your arms while typing. By propping up the keyboard and maybe resting your palms on a block of solid wood palmrest, your palm and fingers are actually parallel to the keys even if they're tilted relative to the desk surface. Ideally you'd be resting your keyboard on your lap but I doubt most people's typing and mousing setups can accommodate for that. The advice of making your keyboard lay as flat as possible (because only people who needs to see the keys when typing prop up their keyboards) works only if your elbow is at or above desk height, which won't happen unless you're tall and sitting up straight.

What if I'm over 6'4”?

AbsoluteLlama
Aug 15, 2009

By the power vested in me by random musings in tmt... I proclaim you guilty of crustophilia!

KingKapalone posted:

What if I'm over 6'4”?

No matter your height you should just get an adjustable height desk. One with an electric motor and memory. Your ideal desk height will change during the day. If you're over 6'4" you'll need to make sure it goes high enough if you care about standing. Most decent places to work in the US will have labor laws that require your employer to accommodate you as well.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

What if I'm over 6'4”?

Then you should accept your life outside converting CO2 and sunshine into oxygen for us keyboard using humans you god drat tree.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

G-Prime posted:

Where did this come from? I was looking for something exactly like this, because it's way easier than keeping a printed diagram with my tester.

Burno posted:

KBDfans sells it and it's been on massdrop. I also got one and brought it into work, and it's actually been a really great conversation starter.

Yup. Search "KBDFans switch tester" on Amazon. Or just go to them, https://kbdfans.cn/collections/switches-tester/products/kbdfans-72-switches-tester-all-in-one

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Welp, time to put this GMMK together.

I get having it plugged in to test the switches as I insert them, but, uh . . . how do I test the F1-F12 keys and the like?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zarin posted:

Welp, time to put this GMMK together.

I get having it plugged in to test the switches as I insert them, but, uh . . . how do I test the F1-F12 keys and the like?

There used to be a microsoft applied sciences web tool to do it but they seem to have taken it down. This one looks okay:
http://keyboardchecker.com/

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Rexxed posted:

There used to be a microsoft applied sciences web tool to do it but they seem to have taken it down. This one looks okay:
http://keyboardchecker.com/

Thanks! You posted that right as I had finished putting the switches in, so that was very helpful. It looks like I got all the switches in correctly on the first try; it was a lot easier than I was expecting, to be honest. The keycaps were actually harder.

So, trip report: Cherry MX Tactile Grey does not feel quite as "snappy" as the Cherry MX Green; I'm guessing that's because the Green pretty much drops resistance off after the actuation point, whereas the Grey continues to ramp it up?

Overall, they're still pretty nice to type on, and are going to be far superior to what I'm currently using at work.

I'm sure I'll have a better opinion of them after I've used them a bit (and typed more than a couple paragraphs into Notepad on them)

Edit: a very, VERY tiny amount of backlight comes through the two tiny holes in the switch where an LED can be run through. I bet, if I was feeling sassy, I could drill out that whole LED seat to let a lot more backlight through, but for the moment, that's :effort:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 28, 2019

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Zarin posted:

So, trip report: Cherry MX Tactile Grey does not feel quite as "snappy" as the Cherry MX Green; I'm guessing that's because the Green pretty much drops resistance off after the actuation point, whereas the Grey continues to ramp it up?

I'm guessing the click jacket of the Greens makes them feel a bit snappier too.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I'm guessing the click jacket of the Greens makes them feel a bit snappier too.

Yeahhhhh . . .

I did some comparisons between the two boards, and I may end up ordering some Gateron Greens before April is over.

Does Kailh make anything comparable to Cherry MX Green? (I have to imagine they do). Anyone prefer Kailh over Gateron? Bonus points for an SMD switch (which the Gateron is).

I had all sorts of harebrained ideas about swapping switch innards and the like (because they are so surprisingly simple inside) but . . . it'll just be easier to order new switches. My co-workers can get used to some clicking, I guess :colbert:

I can't believe I'm doing this

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Zarin posted:

Does Kailh make anything comparable to Cherry MX Green? (I have to imagine they do). Anyone prefer Kailh over Gateron? Bonus points for an SMD switch (which the Gateron is).

NovelKeys and Kailh collaborated on the BOX Navy switch. They are SMD compatible too. They are loud as poo poo, but in a good? way.

Here is Input:Club's writeup about the switch. You can buy the switch directly from NovelKeys (when they are in stock, which should be in April according to the constantly updated Inventory page).

Another alternative is the NovelKeys × Kailh BOX Pale Blue switch. Seems to have similar actuation and bottom-out weights as the Cherry MX Green.

Actually, you might want to think about gettingt a switch tester and select all the more heavily weighted clicky switches to get a better idea of what you might like.

Zarin posted:

Welcome to a long obsession. Took me over a year to find my ideal tactile switch in the 67g Zilent V1 :sigh::hf::sigh:

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 28, 2019

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Zarin posted:

Yeahhhhh . . .

I did some comparisons between the two boards, and I may end up ordering some Gateron Greens before April is over.

I had all sorts of harebrained ideas about swapping switch innards and the like (because they are so surprisingly simple inside) but . . . it'll just be easier to order new switches. My co-workers can get used to some clicking, I guess :colbert:

My dude. Do yourself a favor. You like snappy switches? NovelKeys x Kailh BOX Navies.

Embrace the end of looking for new switches. BOX Navies are clicky as gently caress, carry the same tactile feeling as falling off a cliff, and are the closest you can get to mounting loving buckling springs in a modern board.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Welcome to a long obsession. Took me over a year to find my ideal tactile switch in the 67g Zilent V1 :sigh::hf::sigh:

At least your endgame didn't involve you learning PCB design because nobody made exactly what you want, then custom-manufacturing your own boards.

Kill me.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
I took the GMMK with Greys to work today and gave it a go; after a couple hours, I decided that they are decidedly "meh", but should get me through for a bit.

And, I think you've sold both sold me on the BOX Navies. It's interesting that Input Club shows them with a peak actuation force of 77g, but the site lists them with a peak of 67g.

A quick question: the full travel on the BOX Navy is 0.4mm shorter than a Cherry MX Green. Have either of you tried both switch types, and/or do you think this will even be noticeable?

As for the switch tester, on one hand while I agree that it's probably a good idea, on the other, I'm not sure I could get a feel for a switch without actually typing on a board full of them. I feel like when I take a keycap off and press a switch, it does not feel the same as actually typing on it, if that makes sense. Of course, the other option is to just do the best research I can, buy a set of switches, and hope; I'm currently 1 for 2 on that, so . . . . :shrug:

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Zarin posted:

I took the GMMK with Greys to work today and gave it a go; after a couple hours, I decided that they are decidedly "meh", but should get me through for a bit.

And, I think you've sold both sold me on the BOX Navies. It's interesting that Input Club shows them with a peak actuation force of 77g, but the site lists them with a peak of 67g.

A quick question: the full travel on the BOX Navy is 0.4mm shorter than a Cherry MX Green. Have either of you tried both switch types, and/or do you think this will even be noticeable?

As for the switch tester, on one hand while I agree that it's probably a good idea, on the other, I'm not sure I could get a feel for a switch without actually typing on a board full of them. I feel like when I take a keycap off and press a switch, it does not feel the same as actually typing on it, if that makes sense. Of course, the other option is to just do the best research I can, buy a set of switches, and hope; I'm currently 1 for 2 on that, so . . . . :shrug:

Yeah, if you can it's a real good idea to get some sample keycaps you're likely to put on a board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Zarin posted:

Switch testers are only good for having a rough idea of how different one switch feels to another. But in terms of letting you know if you'd like the switch? I think it's pretty useless for that. You just never know if you like a switch until you actually type or game on one. Even then, depending on the keycaps you put on, that changes the feel enough to sway you one way or the other.

Since you have a hotswappable keyboard now, I guess the only way to do this is to order a bunch of switches and try them out. Then resell what you don't like. I'm fortunate enough to have 2 other idiots way into this hobby that we've all pretty much bought and tried most of the newer MX switches out there.

About the BOX Navies, the difference you'd feel would be less on the travel distance and more of the difference a click jacket versus a click-bar would be (and most definitely the differing force curves). Also, (and this is all personal preference), but I hate typing on the BOX Navies on almost all keycaps (Cherry, DSA, OEM), but totally love it on SA profile keycaps. The reverse is true for most tactile and lighter switches.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 29, 2019