Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zlodo posted:

professional opinion haver

mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

drgitlin posted:

lol, that’s not a meltdown. I just have little tolerance for dipshits who can’t read. That’s literally the one skill you need for shitposting and if someone can’t even manage that?

i have incredibly bad news for you about how shitposting works, idiot

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
The War On Cretins

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

imagine reading a post

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Endless Mike posted:

imagine reading

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
In other Tesla news, bait-and-switch has been illegal in the US since 1946: https://www.thedrive.com/tech/27150/tesla-delaying-deliveries-of-standard-range-model-3

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
very disruptive. once again big government is getting in the way of innovators

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

drgitlin posted:

In other Tesla news, bait-and-switch has been illegal in the US since 1946: https://www.thedrive.com/tech/27150/tesla-delaying-deliveries-of-standard-range-model-3

nice meltdown, Tesla

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sagebrush posted:

honestly that's probably easier than navigating in normal traffic bc speed is close to zero and there are no rules.

just run a fluid dynamics simulation with your car as a particle and you're most of the way there

Modern cars are very pretty. But from a functional view, I'm missing the big bumper bars and the plastic protectors on the doors. Bring these back and just let the cars gently bump each other in the right direction

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Lord Stimperor posted:

Modern cars are very pretty. But from a functional view, I'm missing the big bumper bars and the plastic protectors on the doors. Bring these back and just let the cars gently bump each other in the right direction

agreed. cover my car in rubber strips and let the shopping carts just try

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

theflyingorc posted:

A sad, empty life

Eat Arby’s.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

a doughy-ganger

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ol musky has a new enemy: dodge ram driver 69

https://twitter.com/RamLover69/status/1110629174585094144

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

"paint his truck red so my cars may crash in to it"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
weird brands engage truckfucker420 has logged on

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
no one cares about that twitter convo besides the guy getting all the attention from having elon talk at him

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

obstipator posted:

no one cares about that twitter convo besides the guy getting all the attention from having elon talk at him

i guess that explains why we're discussing it on these forums

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

SEC contempt case update: court scheduled an oral argument for April 4th at 2PM eastern.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Shifty Pony posted:

SEC contempt case update: court scheduled an oral argument for April 4th at 2PM eastern.

serious q: why does this poo poo always take so long. are the courts really that overbooked?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
big time

or underfunded/understaffed, if you prefer

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
probably because there's no need to be fast, and you wouldn't want people to claim afterwards whey had bad representation because they were rushed and couldn't research or formulate their arguments. also objectively this isn't slow at all as far court poo poo goes.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’m going to make a startup whose premise is using modern technology to increase the efficiency of the courts

for example, the throughput of the criminal justice system could be boosted considerably by the use of speculative execution

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
machine learning to determine the verdict using the trial length, number of jurors, and ethnicity of the accused

(beta notes: TODO: implement other two machine learning features)

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT
I have a chance to get a working CitiCar. I should get it, right?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Rex-Goliath posted:

serious q: why does this poo poo always take so long. are the courts really that overbooked?

That’s not that long and the lawyers will need that time to prep for oral arguments.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah if you get arrested for a poor person crime you can sit in jail for like 3 years before they get around to you

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

evilweasel posted:

That’s not that long and the lawyers will need that time to prep for oral arguments.
The last case I worked it was two and a half weeks just prepping the motions in limine. That is practically no time at all

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

The last case I worked it was two and a half weeks just prepping the motions in limine. That is practically no time at all

if you can see the lawyers' motions, it's too slow. we should be caring about air friction, like court filings moving so fast. you should need a strobe light to see them. um, and, that’s incredibly critical to cap ex efficiency

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

yeah if you get arrested for a poor person crime you can sit in jail for like 3 years before they get around to you

The last time I got called for jury duty the accused was a 25 year old kid who had been in jail awaiting trial since he was 19.

I didn't get called up for questioning which I am glad of bc I think that 6 years is definitely violating his right to a speedy trial

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

i think you will see that he clearly waived that right, that it was stuck in with the intake papers where he also had to sign over his property surrendered is just a coincidence

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

his lawyer needed that time to prepare

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

The last time I got called for jury duty the accused was a 25 year old kid who had been in jail awaiting trial since he was 19.

I didn't get called up for questioning which I am glad of bc I think that 6 years is definitely violating his right to a speedy trial

what was the charge

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

squatting in a county jail

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

gotta charge up the crystals

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

what was the charge

carjacking, kidnapping, torture, and attempted murder.

i wasn't on the jury so idk all the (literally) gory details but i was able to put together that all parties agreed that someone had hijacked a woman's car and stabbed her a bunch of times in the process.

the DA's case looked to be that the kid had committed the acts as part of a murderous gang ritual with no purpose beyond causing mayhem

the defense sounded like they were gonna contend that the cops just picked up this kid because he was part of a street gang that operated in the area where the crime occurred, and that they had no strong evidence that he was the culprit or indeed had ever committed any crimes

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

carjacking, kidnapping, torture, and attempted murder.

i wasn't on the jury so idk all the (literally) gory details but i was able to put together that all parties agreed that someone had hijacked a woman's car and stabbed her a bunch of times in the process.

the DA's case looked to be that the kid had committed the acts as part of a murderous gang ritual with no purpose beyond causing mayhem

the defense sounded like they were gonna contend that the cops just picked up this kid because he was part of a street gang that operated in the area where the crime occurred, and that they had no strong evidence that he was the culprit or indeed had ever committed any crimes
Deets?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
with that long of a delay there was probably an issue like the defendant not being competent to stand trial for a while or something like that. If the state alone was responsible for the delay, even simply by having too many cases and not enough judges, that very likely would be a speedy trial violation. but justified delays (guy wasn't competent to stand trial and had to spend time in treatment, etc) or delays caused by the defense (ex. defendant firing all of his lawyers and requesting a bunch of continuances) wouldn't count against the state

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

also if he was in prison for a different offense you wouldn't be told because you were in the jury pool

though in kamala harris's sf/california the benefit of the doubt shouldn't be given to the prosecution

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 27, 2019

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

if it was in NY delays requested by the prosecution dont count against the time limit for speedy trials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
it's not a criminal case dude