Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So a bunch of people pretending to be Rock fans but somehow missing that he’s always been left wing on issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 33 days!

Aesop Poprock posted:

So a bunch of people pretending to be Rock fans but somehow missing that he’s always been left wing on issues

Which makes even less sense when you consider that he always talks about voting Republican

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
its not that they are pretending to be rock fans. rock tries hard not to step on toes but sometimes he says the right thing which triggers the people who make the rock try not to step on toes. he's essentially pulling a michael jordan as far as the whole situation goes

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Which makes even less sense when you consider that he always talks about voting Republican

He voted for Obama both times. I have no idea who he voted for in 2016 but I’d be shocked if it was Trump

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Aesop Poprock posted:

He voted for Obama both times. I have no idea who he voted for in 2016 but I’d be shocked if it was Trump

I wouldn’t. I think at a certain point of wealth money overrides some people’s voting decisions regardless of their other values.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Dacap posted:

I wouldn’t. I think at a certain point of wealth money overrides some people’s voting decisions regardless of their other values.

It’s pretty rare in the black community. These folks are mad at the rock because they thought he was “one of the good ones.” They will even go so far as saying “well he ain’t even black” because they will need to find a way to justify their racism.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

those are the same people that say rock doesnt count as the first black champion because he's half samoan.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/meltzersaidwhat/status/1110627453779632128

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sometimes i scroll that dude's feed and it makes my head hurt

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Why would Donald Trump be on the side of an immigrant?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Dr. Baker posted:

Why would Donald Trump be on the side of an immigrant?

hwite

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

sometimes i scroll that dude's feed and it makes my head hurt
I just tried this and now greatly regret my curiosity.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

https://twitter.com/OGJOHNNY5/status/1110723631292645376

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Lol if you think Obama is left wing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lol if you think Obama is left wing.

Compared to Trump, he's loving Jello Biafra

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kofi will be the first black man in a Mania world title match since

*checks notes*

The Rock in 2013, six years ago

*checks more notes for non-Rock entries since I know that's a thorny issue*

*holy poo poo we're going way back and, oh honey, no*

Booker T in 2003, 16 years ago

So sure, WWE totally isn't racist anymore

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Benne posted:

Kofi will be the first black man in a Mania world title match since

*checks notes*

The Rock in 2013, six years ago

*checks more notes for non-Rock entries since I know that's a thorny issue*

*holy poo poo we're going way back and, oh honey, no*

Booker T in 2003, 16 years ago

So sure, WWE totally isn't racist anymore

Well Batista is Phillipino, so you've got that in there a few times. And Roman is Samoan.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Sanguinia posted:

Well Batista is Phillipino, so you've got that in there a few times. And Roman is Samoan.

And Del Rio is Mexican, obviously. But you're glossing over the larger point, which is that WWE has historically never given a fair shake to African-American wrestlers when it comes to giving them high-profile matches on the biggest shows. The fact that their only black world champion in history can be debatable (regardless of where you fall on the Rock debate) is damning enough.

So no, I'm not gonna throw roses at their feet just because Kofi happened to get hot at the right time. You know drat well he'd be doing his tired pancakes shtick on this show otherwise.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Benne posted:

And Del Rio is Mexican, obviously. But you're glossing over the larger point, which is that WWE has historically never given a fair shake to African-American wrestlers when it comes to giving them high-profile matches on the biggest shows. The fact that their only black world champion in history can be debatable (regardless of where you fall on the Rock debate) is damning enough.

So no, I'm not gonna throw roses at their feet just because Kofi happened to get hot at the right time. You know drat well he'd be doing his tired pancakes shtick on this show otherwise.

I was actually trying to be snarky more than anything.

Let me try again: Of course if Donald Trump had succeeded in getting Bobby Lashley over as the new guy at Mania 23 we could had him main eventing for the last ten years, so really this is his fault!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

New Day turning a Louis Farrakhan then dancing minstrel gimmick into gold is a testament to their talent

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Sanguinia posted:

I was actually trying to be snarky more than anything.

Let me try again: Of course if Donald Trump had succeeded in getting Bobby Lashley over as the new guy at Mania 23 we could had him main eventing for the last ten years, so really this is his fault!

Yeah, I kinda guessed you were tongue-in-cheek, but a lot of people do use that when they try to argue that WWE isn't racist. "See, Batista is half-Filipino, and they pushed Del Rio for like 10 minutes, OF COURSE they care about diversity!!!"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

one of the worst accounts out there, up there with fray and the bruce willis avatar trump supporter.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I dont know why posters call it a debate. it's not one. the rock is black. it doesnt matter what else he is. if you try to twist it you probably likely have some real weird issues about race and should self examine.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's insane to me that I've seen people try to argue he somehow isn't black for basically 20 years now.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
He's mixed and grew up privileged which doesn't count a whole lot for being black in most people's eyes.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

STONE COLD 64 posted:

I dont know why posters call it a debate. it's not one. the rock is black. it doesnt matter what else he is. if you try to twist it you probably likely have some real weird issues about race and should self examine.

Some people are just stupid but then there's another group running backwards blindfolded into what they want to consider wokeness. it ended up making a lot of people who "mean well" say racist and/or stupid things like The Rock isn't black

"Obama isn't black. Halle Berry isn't black. Bob Marley wasn't black. And they all grew up well. I should say this online to show that I understand the plight of black people" Pitter patter

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Mar 27, 2019

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the problem was it took the rock years to say something like this it was always samoan first and dancing around the issue because he was towing the company line and didnt want to stir up poo poo backstage.

Cavauro posted:

Some people are just stupid but then there's another group running backwards blindfolded into what they want to consider wokeness. it ended up making a lot of people who "mean well" say racist and/or stupid things like The Rock isn't black

"Obama isn't black. Halle Berry isn't black. Bob Marley wasn't black. And they all grew up well. I should say this online to show that I understand the plight of black people" Pitter patter

I dont think I've ever heard anyone say the rest of the poo poo you said but the only people Ive seen say the rock isnt black are white people who didnt want to accept he is even half black and the black people who do the whole "He's too light to be black" thing whom are the older generation.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 27, 2019

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AkumaHokoru posted:

I dont think I've ever heard anyone say the rest of the poo poo you said but the only people Ive seen say the rock isnt black are white people who didnt want to accept he is even half black and the black people who do the whole "He's too light to be black" thing whom are the older generation.

Are you serious? Any time Obama said anything about race, you had white people tripping over themselves declaring that he had no right to say such things because he's only part black and that doesn't count.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Are you serious? Any time Obama said anything about race, you had white people tripping over themselves declaring that he had no right to say such things because he's only part black and that doesn't count.

And plenty of black people too. People absolutely used the "Obama isn't black" argument all the time.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

And plenty of black people too. People absolutely used the "Obama isn't black" argument all the time.

I remember the glory days of 'Bill Clinton, the First Black President' articles.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Obama's a communist therefore he can't be black. And furthermore

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

I never head them say he shouldn't say it because he's only part black I've heard them say it because they didn't want him talking about black people things when he should be trying to bring people together.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

See the same subsect of black people who deem people black or not based on how dark they are/act. "Obama acts too white" "wish Obama would do some real hood poo poo" ect ect is the poo poo I heard from that group.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Talking about anyone but white people is divisive I feel.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I mean, my only differing thought on the thing was that Rock always seemed to pretty strongly de-emphasize his black identity in favor of his Samoan identity, and if that was a choice he was making I thought it was weird to be telling him what he is. Although I did certainly never like, question or deny his blackness.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AkumaHokoru posted:

I never head them say he shouldn't say it because he's only part black I've heard them say it because they didn't want him talking about black people things when he should be trying to bring people together.

They absolutely said it after the "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon Martin" statement. Just because you claim to never have heard it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

I mean, my only differing thought on the thing was that Rock always seemed to pretty strongly de-emphasize his black identity in favor of his Samoan identity, and if that was a choice he was making I thought it was weird to be telling him what he is. Although I did certainly never like, question or deny his blackness.

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/1108202967671496704

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think WWE preferred him to be Samoan and I think The Rock toed the company line but I think also think outside of that he's been open about how his heritage and how he views himself.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

They absolutely said it after the "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon Martin" statement. Just because you claim to never have heard it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

They didn't say it because they embraced his whiteness they said it because they didn't want him to talk about black issues at all. it was a way of making their bigotry seem less bigoted.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Honestly I don't think WWE valued diversity at all until Steph brought it into their lexicon of buzzwords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think WWE preferred him to be Samoan and I think The Rock toed the company line but I think also think outside of that he's been open about how his heritage and how he views himself.

right. the problem was he couldn't really express that during because he was towing the company line and the company line was he was samoan.