Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
GRAW2 was rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

It's also old and cheap enough that people probably buy it when they need an intact case for something else

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

BattleTech posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5VzPxKdjUI&feature=youtu.be

GWG for april:

Technomancer
Outcast remake
Star Wars BF 2(2005)
GRAW2

Solid month but, Technomancer is jank central, and Outcast is ULTRA JANK, so your mileage may vary on enjoyment.

og bf2 without xbox live is pointless

re-activate original xbox live you fuckin cowards

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Reminds me when Army Of Two was added to BC without the servers. Who the gently caress is going to play that solo?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Disposable Scud posted:

Reminds me when Army Of Two was added to BC without the servers. Who the gently caress is going to play that solo?

tbf i don't know why anyone would play army of two with the servers enabled either. game was Not Good, and the devil's cartel is my pick for worst game of the last console generation.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

March gave everyone Revengeance, so strap in for six months of either garbage or good-when-it-had-servers

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Yeah why aren't you all playing Revengeance drat son, I cleared it out and might just do so again this year for funsies. All while dressed as very problematic sombrero/poncho Raiden.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

lol

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

DrNutt posted:

The only source of that is from reddit and your memory of Montreal in the 90s. No offense intended but that is straight up the Daikatana ad font so I think my skepticism is warranted.

e: This actually has me curious enough to start looking through the old gaming magazines at my local shops and expos to see if I can find any magazines from 1997 with that ad. I find this stuff pretty fascinating. I did a media project in college that was all about lovely old cigarette and alcohol ads from the 20s and 30s that was pretty fun.

please present your findings, I'd love to see a doc on such things.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nuts and Gum posted:

please present your findings, I'd love to see a doc on such things.

Well it turns out I was wrong but I think I'll still keep my eye out because I'd love to find more examples of edgy 90s gaming ads. Maybe I'll make a thread if I find enough good stuff to showcase.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

DrNutt posted:

Well it turns out I was wrong but I think I'll still keep my eye out because I'd love to find more examples of edgy 90s gaming ads. Maybe I'll make a thread if I find enough good stuff to showcase.

There's a gameboy pocket one with a woman in lingerie handcuffed to a bed, and the description is something like "now the most fun thing you can have in your pants".

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BattleTech posted:

There's a gameboy pocket one with a woman in lingerie handcuffed to a bed, and the description is something like "now the most fun thing you can have in your pants".

You probably mean this one

The second best thing to do in the dark.

edit: never mind, found yours:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

:stare: that last one..can’t be real.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Twas

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Blind Rasputin posted:

:stare: that last one..can’t be real.

Right? How do you expect those hats and that book to stay up there? You would've moved them while setting all this up, obviously. I'm saying fake.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What the gently caress. Wasn't Nintendo still thought of as the family friendly company at that point? That second one is straight up implying sexual violence. It doesn't look consensual in the slightest.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

DrNutt posted:

What the gently caress. Wasn't Nintendo still thought of as the family friendly company at that point? That second one is straight up implying sexual violence. It doesn't look consensual in the slightest.

Sega's success, such as it was, led to some pretty terrible stateside advertising strategies for Nintendo.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Attitude Era claimed many victims.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DrNutt posted:

Play It Loud.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Kinda looks like Courtney Cox

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

How is violence implied in the second? It's a dude ignoring his GF for a Game Boy. Partners being tied up on a bed and left there was such a common joke back then.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

How is violence implied in the second? It's a dude ignoring his GF for a Game Boy. Partners being tied up on a bed and left there was such a common joke back then.

Yeah, its in bad taste and unnecessarily sexual, but I think nonconsenual is too far. Just like the first one the implication is that you're ignoring them, not distracted halfway through an assault.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The best Gameboy was probably the SP but goddamn that one that was barely bigger than the cartridge was cool as gently caress

Edit: The GB Micro

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

FunOne posted:

Yeah, its in bad taste and unnecessarily sexual, but I think nonconsenual is too far. Just like the first one the implication is that you're ignoring them, not distracted halfway through an assault.

I also felt this way but did not want to be dog piled.

It is no accident that it looks like Courtney Cox, I am sure.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The best Gameboy was probably the SP but goddamn that one that was barely bigger than the cartridge was cool as gently caress

Edit: The GB Micro

The micro was better than the SP, IMO. Laptop Gameboy was wack.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saw that Technomancer is one of the free xbox live gold games. I am looking forward to playing that.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I’m playing through Republic Commando from this month’s batch but I don’t think I’m going to finish it. On to Metal Gear Rising.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I think the first one implies that they've already had sex, since she's asleep and the gameboy is the second best thing.
The second one is straight up sadgamer playing tetris instead of girl.

DrNutt posted:

Someone's boring in bed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DrNutt posted:

I don't know how you get "not consensual" out of the second picture. She looks annoyed because her partner has decided not to have sex with her because they remembered they have a gameboy and walked away. I don't even know what point you're trying to make. You know that normal people can enjoy being tied up while having sex, right?

What do you think is happening in that picture? The woman was tied to the bed and is now going to be raped with a gameboy? It's an ad for a gameboy, and the tagline is "seriously distracting". The person was distracted from raping her by a gameboy?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Saw that Technomancer is one of the free xbox live gold games. I am looking forward to playing that.

As someone who likes the Technomancer franchise, you should lower your expectations. Like a lot. To around the level where you're proud that the game doesn't crash on game start. They are budget titles and it super feels like it.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks for reminding me to claim Metal Gear Rising. I would've been so pissed if I missed out.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Thanks for assuming I'm some kind of prudish church marm. The room looks sparse and lovely, like it could be some kidnapper's rape room (yes I know it's probably just to reflect the average slovenly gamer) and her look could easily interpreted differently. Goons being mystified that different people can read media differently will never cease to be a thing, though.

Whether or not you felt the need to dogpile on me for this, I'm sure most of us can agree it is pretty :wtc: that Nintendo okayed the ad in the first place.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

BattleTech posted:

As someone who likes the Technomancer franchise, you should lower your expectations. Like a lot. To around the level where you're proud that the game doesn't crash on game start. They are budget titles and it super feels like it.

How do you recommend playing it? Should I bee line the main quest? Try to complete as much side content before moving on? Or somewhere in between?

What aspects of the game are fun?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

DrNutt posted:

Goons being mystified that different people can read media differently will never cease to be a thing, though.

DrNutt posted:

:ironicat:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DrNutt posted:

Thanks for assuming I'm some kind of prudish church marm. The room looks sparse and lovely, like it could be some kidnapper's rape room (yes I know it's probably just to reflect the average slovenly gamer) and her look could easily interpreted differently. Goons being mystified that different people can read media differently will never cease to be a thing, though.

Whether or not you felt the need to dogpile on me for this, I'm sure most of us can agree it is pretty :wtc: that Nintendo okayed the ad in the first place.

If that were just a picture of a woman tied to a bed with no context, sure. With your interpretation, what do you think that ad is saying? A woman tied to a bed in a rape dungeon. Tagline: "The new Gameboy Pocket. Seriously distracting"

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

How do you recommend playing it? Should I bee line the main quest? Try to complete as much side content before moving on? Or somewhere in between?

What aspects of the game are fun?

It depends on how much you are enjoying the game, if you are lukewarm on the game, blitz through it because its quirks do not improve it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

e: You know what, I was being needlessly lovely and was pretty clearly wrong. Sorry for being an rear end, and mea culpa.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 27, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wish this console had an exclusive worth more than 15 dollars so you could talk about something else

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheScott2K posted:

The micro was better than the SP, IMO. Laptop Gameboy was wack.

i vastly prefer the original gameboy advance from an ergonomic perspective. the sp and micro gave my hands serious cramps if i played more than like an hour. backlight-modded original gba is best gba.

e: wait why are we even talking about this in the xbox thread anyway, i thought i'd clicked on the retro gaming thread or something lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wish this console had an exclusive worth more than 15 dollars so you could talk about something else

What about the exclusive power of the Xbox one x